For Those Of Us Who Can Draw, Do You Think That

I was thinking about how good I am at designing aircraft, mecha and other vehicles so I had to ask all you other guys who like to draw; do you think you would make a good mechanical designer? I'd like to hear so

Phalanx ;)B))

Nope. I know I can't... I can do comic booky drawings, msotly of Iron Man, and some stuff like that, and othered armored robot-type troopers and such, but mecha and big robots, no way... I just crash and burn. I haven't drawn in ages anyways... it's a whole different beast from modeling and painting...

Know your limits.

In other words, I would not harm this blue earth by crapping out designs and worshipping them as being the ultimate thing with laser swords, particle beam cannons, electromagnetic rail guns, and sharp sticks sticking off of a robot looking like a porcupine. :p There's enough people who do that already. (No, I'm not saying anything about anyone who already posted, just to be clear).

I can draw pre-existing mecha if I sit down and take my time and do it with care. Design it? ... No thank you. There's enough crappy mecha designs out there, I don't need to contribute.

mecha, no, really cool fighters, and space ships, sure but only in 3-D. Heck I have a hard enough time designing tanks, speaking of which I need to call up my tanker buddies and ask them for the design sketches they wanted me to make 3-D for them.

Bipedal tank that can launch nukes. Wait that's Metal Gear.

A tank with a rocket that can launch nukes. Wait that's the Shagohod.

A bipedal tank that moos like a cow. Wait that's in MGS4.

Well a spider-like tank has already been done by Shirow.

Hmmmmmmmmm... A tank that has a slug/snail foot that slimes it's way around everywhere and can like go up walls and hang upside down on ceillings!......................................... :( I'm bored and sick and running out of tank ideas.

Nyanko tanks! That would be awesome! XD

hmmm...i'd always loved mechanical stuff...thanks to japanese cartoons and childhood friends/teachers who said i "suck" at drawing...they provided the fuel to get me to doodle a lot.

i switched majors a couple of times...from mechanical, architectural and to finally, graphic design...too bad i couldn't make it to Art Center in Pasadena, CA...but i say, if you like what you're illustrating, just keep doing it and make a mark in the world (actually a well know cartoonist gave me that advise).

besides Radd, UN Marine and Sithlord, do any of you guys have illustrations on a website we can all check-out?

jason

In my case I KNOW I can draw good, mechanicaly speaking of course. But designing something completely original, now thats something else. If I actually sat down and thought out what kind of design it would be, I think I can turn up something good that I would be satisfied with. As for thinking I would make a good mechanical designer, I'll let someone else critique me if I am or not. After all I am my own worst critic.

Oh and heres a doodle I did in MS Paint to show how I can draw.

post-2788-1148026212.png

In my case I KNOW I can draw good, mechanicaly speaking of course. But designing something completely original, now thats something else. If I actually sat down and thought out what kind of design it would be, I think I can turn up something good that I would be satisfied with. As for thinking I would make a good mechanical designer, I'll let someone else critique me if I am or not. After all I am my own worst critic.

Oh and heres a doodle I did in MS Paint to show how I can draw.

400537[/snapback]

That's pretty good Flaming Gauntlet! ;)B)) I too can draw in Paint just like you, just as I drew Roy, Max. Milia, and Hikaru in paint. (See the Fanworks section, under pinned, hosting for MW fan creations) I have drawn lots of my own original jet plane designs in my notebook as well as a few mecha designs but I'm a little insecure about showing them off to others for fear that somebody may copy, but in the end, it may be just inspiration, not imitation, heh! :D:lol:

It's also worth noting that I don't actually plan on being a mechanical designer as my future career. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to actually take up a career as a MD, I would have to be very flexible in terms of the types of vehicles I can draw. Since I most of the time, tend to draw jet planes, I hypothetically as a MD should fully understand that being one is not restricted to just drawing robot mecha since that's what Japanese MD's are sterotypically known to do. I try to go for drawing things like starships, tanks, helicopter's (I have drawn a few of my own original designs) cars, naval vehicles and etc just to prove that I actually got what it takes to be a MD and to prove that I'm flexible in designing any type of mechanical vehicles. Sometimes they don't turn out good because I'm not used to drawing these things but I keep trying though.

Edited by Phalanx

I believe in practicality in designing mecha rather than having enormous guns and tail fins that serve no purpose other than looking like a giant samurai or a robot that went thru a crayon factory.  :lol:

400248[/snapback]

Well at least you'd make it as an American mecha designer. At least for awhile, because the way hollywood is going design-wise towards the smooth, flowing, and organic you wouldn't be employeed there long. ;)

I agree.

i believe in more practical mech designs, that's why i don't like the new gundams, they're too flashy :lol:

one good reason why i prefer Macross is the mechanical feasability in the designs.

i'd take the folding plane over a robot with feathers any day :lol:

I believe in practicality in designing mecha rather than having enormous guns and tail fins that serve no purpose other than looking like a giant samurai or a robot that went thru a crayon factory.  :lol:

400248[/snapback]

Well at least you'd make it as an American mecha designer. At least for awhile, because the way hollywood is going design-wise towards the smooth, flowing, and organic you wouldn't be employeed there long. ;)

400596[/snapback]

My idea of practicality in the realm of sci-fi can be compared to, as an example, Gundam vs Macross in terms of believability. Macross comes off as believable scenario than Gundam IMO and that's the point that I was trying to make. I don't wanna be cornered in a style that makes no purposeful sense other to look like a retro takeback of by gone era.

400599[/snapback]

I also gotta agree with UN MARINE on that. Going back to my old thread that discussed the difference between American and Japanese sci-fi ship designs, Japanese starfighter ship designs look more stylish, sleeker, inovative, creative and feasible than compared to those cheesy retroish ship designs that you see in Western sci-fi flicks. Their looks inspired me to incorporate a more Japanese style of ship designs like what we see in sci-fi anime and in Japanese space shooters. To compensate, Japanese starfighter designs are more believable and creative than western designs.

here is the link to some designs i and other members posted previously on the fan works section. Warning it is picture intensive:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...opic=13358&st=0

enjoy.

i have many designs but since i no longer have the CD to install my camera nor do i have a scanner i can´t post them.

That one has some kind of non-human features in it's design except for the machine gun.

As for being a good mecha designer i think it has to do with wath do you consider to be a good mecha design, wich may appeal some but not to other people. It also depends of how you want a mecha to perform.

For me a good mecha has to be something realistic like the valkyries since unlike gundam they do have a reason to be giant robots since they are fighting a race of giant aliens. Also the way they fight is to fast and spectacular none the less.

However theyre are those who preffer something more like powere armors like in Assault Suits Valken, wich are not one of a kind, but more like your average tank.

Also the word mecha in japan is not limited to robots, but also include everything mechanical, like guns wich is one of my favorite subjects, since i've been doing a lot of reserach on the inner mechanisms that allow the gun to work.

maybe if i could study a career on industrial designs or mechanical i could apply the knoledge on every sketch, however there is also the psycological part, for example look a the head of the YF-19 or the VF-0S and you'll know it is a badass machine. Just see how many prefer type S heads over any other variant.

Industrial design's pretty cool :D you get to design & build stuff. it's a lot of work, but it's worth it :lol:

back to topic...

yeah, what makes a good mech design is pretty subjective. depends on who's judging the design.

but most of the time, people just base it on how it looks. which, i'm sorry to say, usually comes from western designers. ie: Mechwarrior :o

take for example, the Madcat from Mechwarrior. looks imtimidating, but is it a good design ? no. but people love it. honorable mention to the "turkey" gundam, too

then, we have the mech designed for how it works. not necessarilly pretty, but you can believe it can be built.

but not because it's functional, doesn't mean it's "all that". ie: Transformers. :ph34r:

...and that's our "crayon factory vs folding plane"

:)

BTW, Flaming Gauntlet, I checked out your drawings and they were amazingly accurate in design! I liked that MSP rendition of the Super Sylph you did and that Blue VF-1 paint scheme. I can tell that you really were bored and had the utmost persistence and patience to complete those mecha drawings. I can't draw like that in paint and I was thinking about trying to draw mecha as a means to challenge myself. Also, as for yor avatar, I honestly thought that was a green VF-6 Alpha Veritech in Battroid mode from Mospeada as it turns out to be a mech from Armored Core. :lol: Keep up the good work! ;)B))

Edited by Phalanx

...Also, as for yor avatar, I honestly thought that was a green VF-6 Alpha Veritech in Battroid mode from Mospeada as it turns out to be a mech from Armored Core.

401056[/snapback]

You thought my avatar was WHAT!? :blink::lol: j/k Just so you know I don't draw these in MSP out of bordem(most of the time), I draw them because I enjoy making 'em in MS Paint. And now for some shameless self pluging.

To get back on topic I have to mostly agree with UN_Marine. Good mech design

is indeed very subjective regardless whether its of eastern or western influence. To one person a mech design will look like the most awesome

machine he's ever saw, while another person thinks the same mech belong in a garbage can and this can be said about any mech franchise be it anime, video games or even RPGs. Its all about peoples preferences and tastes that greatly vary from person to person. Even SK didn't think too highly of his VF-17(least thats what I heard). But our resident admin. Graham thinks otherwise.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by Flaming Guantlet

You thought my avatar was WHAT!? :blink:  :lol: j/k Just so you know I don't draw these in MSP out of bordem(most of the time), I draw them because I enjoy making 'em in MS Paint. And now for some shameless self pluging. 

401078[/snapback]

You do any of these professionally? I would think with the popularity of pixel art people would be interested in this kinda stuff.

I'm going to have to bring a floppy with me next time I go to work. They don't have Photoshop on the computers there, and won't let us bring in laptops, and I work the overniht shift where there's lots of free time...so I've been making lots of little MS Paint pictures to put as the desktop images there. Mostly Metal Slug inspired.

You do any of these professionally? I would think with the popularity of pixel art people would be interested in this kinda stuff.

401129[/snapback]

No I don't do these professionally. To be honest didn't think pixel art was popular to be considered professional because I always thought that pixel art was sort of a niche thing. Hell the only reason I draw in paint is because I thought photoshop was too hard! :lol: Oh and Radd I'd love to see those Metal Slug-ish images.

here are some old stuff back in '99 ... i'd like to get back to doing this stuff soon.

i like visiting these topics becuase it's motivating; seeing you guys' great stuff! ... they're inspiring to me.

i'd like to try some macross/robotech stuff too.

jason

post-2303-1148363402.jpg

post-2303-1148363415_thumb.jpg

post-2303-1148363425_thumb.jpg

Hey doodler7, you my friend have a wicked cool style, i like it. Theres heaps of great ideas and styles on this thread, keep 'em comin' i say!

Radd - awesome tank dude!

Might as well hop on the wagon too, here some things i've been working on;

:p:D

Some scans and renders from a project i'm working on ->

This next one is not quite mecha, but has some mecha in it, this image is almost done- still a bit to go, as u can see and has been cropped A HEAP and shrunk down alot too.

That thing looks pretty cool. It looks like a variable version of the R9 from R-Type. :)

Lots of nice art. (metal slug mech looks cool)

I kind of miss the days when hand drawn sprites in games were the norm. There is a certain appeal to it that you just don't quite get when the object is too 'perfect'.

Take the animated characters in capcom's marvel vs capcom games as an example. I always thought that when they tried to combine cheap looking 3dish effects in the second game with the handdrawn stuff it kind of had a fake appearance to it like it didn't belong. (ie it was no longer a comic book flat style, but 3d shiny cg forced into it.

Ah all this reminds me to go out and buy that Tenjin Hidetaka artworks book.