Custom 1/48 Gbp

Kurt

wow one of these days when i get enough money saved i will definetly want to get a commission off of you.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

Polyscale is pretty weak stuff. Try Microscale Micro Set and Micro Sol in tandem. Much more effective. And sorry about the white on white issue. Blame my paper supplier. :(

Well...can't decide to take it as encouragement while working on mine, or a sign to give up :lol:  I'm doing the normal GBP right now... and the decals are killing me.  Small white decals on white backing = Ben going blind.  That and the shear volume of them.

I notice that you've got a little bit of decal edging showing on your legart Kurt... when you applied that large decal, did you use a decal setting solution to help conform to the curve?  I'm using PolyScale Decal solvent (the stronger one) and my decal is still ending up a bit wrinkly.... (mainly cuz it's a whole circle over the curve...)  I figure that once the third coat of solvent dries, a coat of Future will smooth it enough....

386033[/snapback]

Polyscale is pretty weak stuff. Try Microscale Micro Set and Micro Sol in tandem. Much more effective. And sorry about the white on white issue. Blame my paper supplier.

It's not a huge problem, it just slows down the process a bit. Which is good, because that way I don't rush. It did get me wondering tho, can you get different color paper backings? A medium grey would have been neutral enough to find the black decals and make the white ones stand out. Otherwise, the GBP decals are flawless and crisp. I appreciate the work you put into making them ALOT. I find that the Polyscale works fine for most of my applications. After three coats of the stronger of the two (Solvent,) the decal is basically flawless and smooth.

And one last thing I've observed for Kurt and all the rest of you that apply decals about edges. I've found that if you brush on a coat of Future as the decal is mostly dry to seal it the rest of the way down, you can cheat a bit and apply a bit more than normal around the edge to sort of soften the hard elevation chage/edge between surface and decal. As long as you wipe up the drips, and let enough of it dry around the edge, it works great, especially when you are going to be painting more on the model.

Well Kurt I dont think you really need me to tell you how great your work is as usuall.........

Oh if you insist ..

Great work Kurt.

386289[/snapback]

ditto.

It'd be awesome if you could school yamato how to design good low vis schemes.

:D

Awesome!!! I'm next... i'm next...  :D
I will let the images do the talking.  Let me know what you think.

385950[/snapback]

386431[/snapback]

Show it show it! ;)

Hey hey, one last question.  Did you use a pencil to do the really fine scratches on the lower legs?  Looks awesome, but pencil's too dark for the normal color GBP, so I'm tryin to figure out what to use when I get to that step.

386607[/snapback]

I used an artist graphite pencil.

excuse my french but that is F__cking awesom Kurt. You make it look so easy! I've tried a couple of camo paint jobs and I know how hard it is. Well, for me it is. All that tape and cutting all those patterns... I scared my wife from all the profanity I screamed while doing it. :D

And excuse my photoshop ignorance but are the untouched pics the 'browner' ones?

excuse my french but that is F__cking awesom Kurt. You make it look so easy! I've tried a couple of camo paint jobs and I know how hard it is. Well, for me it is. All that tape and cutting all those patterns... I scared my wife from all the profanity I screamed while doing it. :D

And excuse my photoshop ignorance but are the untouched pics the 'browner' ones?

386772[/snapback]

No masking on the camo, all done freehand with the airbrush. I did not photoshop any of the photos. I was moving the lights around so that changed the tone.

Awesome. I might have to check that out. I finally got all the decals on and dullcoated the parts....legs are still drying, but otherwise I'm ready to start weathering. I ended up panel lining the valk for it too (my first 1/48, bought specifically because Radd told me that a 1/48 GBP was in the works.) I'm trying to figure out just how much wear it needs.... I want it more worn than the first (and only series) appearance, but alot of weathering isn't applicaple for a space based unit (rust, dirt, dust.) Guess that leaves me with scratches and chips, and heat scorching and mild damage (everything but physical damage -I'm not cutting into something this expensive :lol:)

Then have someone do it for you! It'll be worth it, I promise. I'm only halfway thru mine and let me tell you, there's ALOT of potential to take a gorgeous stock toy and make it into an utterly amazing piece that is still really really playable and beautiful.

Guest Bromgrev

Pretty! No shiny bits at all. I am disappointed to see the screw slots on the backs of the arms don't line up with the panel lines, though ... ;)

Pretty! No shiny bits at all. I am disappointed to see the screw slots on the backs of the arms don't line up with the panel lines, though ...  ;)

387050[/snapback]

What are you refering too?