Gundam Plamodel Thread - II

ah ... what would the asian equivalent of Future be? Tamiya polishing compound .. don't think I've seen that in my hobby store ..

here's a pic of the Dom's gun. it really is quite an ugly robot ....

post-2777-1161875561_thumb.jpg

That link mentions "new color" and shows a dry brushed chest area on the strike IWSP. What does this mean...that it comes pre-painted like that? :blink:

Dunno. :unsure: I'll tell ya once mine arrive in a few weeks. ^_^

Something really kick ass happened to me a little while back, and it's loosely related to Gundam models. Last week, I was building my 1/100 Sandrock Custom (I know, but I love wing and can't help it) and my 7 year old daughter sat next to me and started asking me about it. Next thing you know, I'm teaching her how to build a model and panel line. Then she started watching Gundam and she loves it, she has a crush on Trowa. Anyhow, I promised her we'd build the PG Strike Rouge next, so now I'm out 200 for a kit I never really wanted...I have the regular strike. At risk of sounding cheesy though, it's worth it. I even promised her we'd put it on display in her room.

Some painting questions: How were the green circled parts masked/painted? (Gundam 1/100 Seed Destiny Ungradeds)

1. (Saviour) Outside grey, inside black, but yellow trim around the INSIDE of the ... thingy

2. (Legend) Little cannons were molded onto the grey plastic as one piece, yet he's painted them all completely red, or at least enough red such that we cannot see that the other side is still grey

Thanks guys, I've been wanting to start on these two kits but these issues keep daunting me.

post-2777-1162205702_thumb.jpg

post-2777-1162205758_thumb.jpg

Some painting questions: How were the green circled parts masked/painted? (Gundam 1/100 Seed Destiny Ungradeds)

1. (Saviour) Outside grey, inside black, but yellow trim around the INSIDE of the ... thingy

2. (Legend) Little cannons were molded onto the grey plastic as one piece, yet he's painted them all completely red, or at least enough red such that we cannot see that the other side is still grey

Thanks guys, I've been wanting to start on these two kits but these issues keep daunting me.

1, with a small brush, paint the yellow first, I'm lazy so i would even paint the black area yellow. So eveything will be yellow on the inside.

Now for the black. Face the plastic moded piece up so it will be like a cup with the area you want to paint at the bottom of the cup. Because of gravity all the black paint will want to stay at the bottom so just a small bit should be enough and the paint will spread the whole bottom area and form a pretty oval shape similar to your glass drinks will form a circular shape if you lool at it from the top. ( if you are really lazy like me, can just use a black micro pen and just color the black in)then just finish off the outside with gray.

2. with a small brush, paint it carefully. it sounds harder but it's actually pretty easy.

1) Paint the entire inside yellow. Use a fine brush (like a liner brush)and paint the inside vent black. Mask off the rest of the knee and paint the outside area grey. All done.

2) Mask the area off. Pull out the red paint and brush it on.

wow thanks for the tips guys. sebastian, i *think* i know what you're trying to say - if it works, that'd be nifty.

another quick question: PANEL LINING a model after painting - is a gloss coat necessary? i shouldn't try to panel line a model that just has PAINT on, correct? and panel lining on a flat coat is suicide?

*EDIT* sorry, all this is here because I'm wasn't previously talking about Macross kits. though my current question is pretty much applicable to any model.

Edited by shiyao

wow thanks for the tips guys. sebastian, i *think* i know what you're trying to say - if it works, that'd be nifty.

another quick question: PANEL LINING a model after painting - is a gloss coat necessary? i shouldn't try to panel line a model that just has PAINT on, correct? and panel lining on a flat coat is suicide?

Gloss or Flat coat is needed if you think the lines will fade or if you need protection. Panel lining should be done close to when the model is finished, ideally. There may be small areas that need additional work and additional painting which might ruin the panel line so to avoid the chance of repainting the panel line, it should be one of the last things you do. After painting, before gloss/flat coat.

thanks azrael. my question was, actually, this: "Should I gloss coat my painted model before I panel line, so that I can wipe away stray ink marks?" I was of the understanding that you can't wipe away stray ink marks if there is a flat coat (or no coat).

thanks azrael. my question was, actually, this: "Should I gloss coat my painted model before I panel line, so that I can wipe away stray ink marks?" I was of the understanding that you can't wipe away stray ink marks if there is a flat coat (or no coat).

Ah. Then yes.

According to R10, the "special option" version of the MG SF includes the following:

MG STRIKE FREEDOM + Plated Joint parts + Jet effect parts + Adjustable Display Stand + Original Poster + Original Booklet!

I'm assuming the "jet effects" are for the funnels, like on the HG Shiranui Akatsuki.

Nah. Looks so plain, and terrible with the Ballute system, now that is the ultimate gayness.

Akatsuki at least looked sharp.

Strike Freedom only has a little bit of gold trim anyway, it's not overdone.

Are there any pics of the gold plated joint version vs the standard version? I wanna see if it looks good enough to dish out the extra cash for it.

Nope. We only have the prototype and the Plamco Show display model.

Hot on the heels of the rather depressing Rick-Dom, I present to you: 1/60 Real Detail Force Impulse Gundam!

The plan for this kit was to learn cementing and sanding. Of course, that didn't quite turn out as hoped ...

(the following questions/comments are numbered according to the way the photos are arranged)

1. Impulse from the front. "Gundam Blue" is actually quite a kiddish looking colour. The end result is a blue that looks little different from the one that came on the sprues.

2. Impulse from the rear. Not your most poseable kit, the 1/60 actually has quite little (visible) detail (unlike, for instance, the OYW RX-78-2 MG kit). The detail is mostly hidden by shoulder covers, the light blue skirt covers and the chest covers.

3. Here is the end result of my cementing (I paint a line of cement over the joined parts, and then sand in a circular fashion). Precisely - seam line still visible. But this isn't as bad as ...

4. ... THIS disaster over here. What happened was, I assembled two left feet for the Impulse (put the thigh the wrong way round for this leg), so I had to rip both sides apart, re-cement and re-paint.

5. OK seriously, how do you panel line a painted model??? I had stray marker marks going everywhere. You CAN erase them off, but they are more persistent. And you can no longer do that "anyhow panel line everywhere and then rub off with tissue/cotton bud" trick.

6. Another "plan" for this kit was to become Supreme Champion Masker. I figured since I was going to cement the legs together, I would have to mask the knees off before painting over the legs. (You can see some stray white paint on the knee as a result of a poor prior masking.) It is true - you really can mask anything, as long as you're patient enough.

7. Lunmaria Hawke, Impulse, Hashin!

post-2777-1162723257_thumb.jpg

post-2777-1162723275_thumb.jpg

post-2777-1162723291_thumb.jpg

post-2777-1162723302_thumb.jpg

post-2777-1162723315_thumb.jpg

post-2777-1162723334_thumb.jpg

post-2777-1162723344_thumb.jpg