Giant Ant Movies...

I remember seeing an old black and white scene from a giant ant movie. It depicted a massive ant in a arctic tunra setting, with two Snow Commandos walking backwards firing their machine guns at it... stumbling over, standing up again, firing more, unable to kill the incredibly massive ant.

From limited research, the only giant ant movies I've found has been "THEM". I'd love to see this movie. For some reason whence im interested in something, my interest /never/ dies down. One intriguing thing about this movie is that the Ants appear to be /exceptionally huge/. Like, almost Godzilla big. Whereas the 'THEM' ants were only car sized at most.

Anyone got any info on this? I'd love to know what its called, LOL!

-BEN-MAN-

LOL! Of course it was old. Im talking about a movie that was black and white. I'll have to look up PHAZE IV... I doubt thats what Im thinking about though.

-BEN-MAN-

For one, this movie wasnt a comedy. For two, the ants in it were actually somewhat well done. Models, of course, but pretty good ones for the time. I dont think it was spliced in "funny footage". And it must have been from the 50's or 60's or something, it looked quite old, and it was in black and white, as I said, so yah.

LOL! I was kinda hoping one of you people would have seen this movie. I doubt very much we'll be able to research this movie and find outs its name from the puny information I've given. But thank you very much for the try, LOL ^_^ Its greatly appreciated ^_^

-BEN-MAN-

One thing I always wondered.... why did spiders get most of the love? There are about 10 times as many giant/killer/mutant spider movies then ants. :huh:

There are more people scared of spiders than there are people scared of ants.

Filmmakers try to use this extremely common phobia to add tension to their films, with varying degrees of success.

One thing I always wondered.... why did spiders get most of the love? There are about 10 times as many giant/killer/mutant spider movies then ants. :huh:

There are more people scared of spiders than there are people scared of ants.

Filmmakers try to use this extremely common phobia to add tension to their films, with varying degrees of success.

Well... the cool factor. Spiders are bigger, cooler and creepier. :)

Spiders definitely do get more film attention, but people should be more scared of giant ants - after all, I've rarely heard of spiders co-operating in real life, but ants do all the time... :o ( funnily enough, at least two spider movies have spiders acting more like ants than they do spiders... )

I believe Arthur C. Clarke once wrote a spoof SF short about a mad scientist who was teaching termites how to make fire... :rolleyes:

Edit: BTW, I think that spiders do a lot of good and largely unsung work in the ecological community. However, if something the size of my fist happens to be crawling across the floor, just pass me that Janes All The Worlds Variable Aircraft, will you...?!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Spiders definitely do get more film attention, but people should be more scared of giant ants - after all, I've rarely heard of spiders co-operating in real life, but ants do all the time...  :o ( funnily enough, at least two spider movies have spiders acting more like ants than they do spiders... )

I believe Arthur C. Clarke once wrote a spoof SF short about a mad scientist who was teaching termites how to make fire...  :rolleyes:

Edit: BTW, I think that spiders do a lot of good and largely unsung work in the ecological community. However, if something the size of my fist happens to be crawling across the floor, just pass me that Janes All The Worlds Variable Aircraft, will you...?!

Actually... some kind of spiders do have hive mentality. Though, they don't build hives like ants, they simply mark their territory.

Some thing size of your fist? Heh... in Amazon forest we get spiders the size of your upper body. :p

Edited by Abombz!!

Actually... some kind of spiders do have hive mentality. Though, they don't build hives like ants, they simply mark their territory.

Some thing size of your fist? Heh... in Amazon forest we get spiders the size of your upper body. :p

You can't scare me like that - I know that spiders can only reach a certain size because of the method they use for breathing (among other structual problems... )

Of course, if you were some kind of mad scientist, and tried to create some kind of... oh, I don't know... man-spider, then that might be suitably big and scary - wait, whats that scuttling sound behin - YEEEAAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!

I remember an episode of the twilight zone where a spaceship full of big alien ants with human faces crashes on earth. They were super-criminals or something like that. I don't really remeber except that they were really creepy looking and they talked. :unsure:

I remember an episode of the twilight zone where a spaceship full of big alien ants with human faces crashes on earth. They were super-criminals or something like that. I don't really remeber except that they were really creepy looking and they talked. :unsure:

I know the one you're talking about, but I think it was the Outer Limits.

You can't scare me like that - I know that spiders can only reach a certain size because of the method they use for breathing (among other structual problems... )

Of course, if you were some kind of mad scientist, and tried to create some kind of... oh, I don't know... man-spider, then that might be suitably big and scary - wait, whats that scuttling sound behin - YEEEAAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!

Yeah... keep thinking that. The Goliath Tarantula can reach almost twice the so called "permited" size. :blink:

One spider in Australia has caused a number of fatalties and it isn't even venomous...! It likes to live in cars, and has a habit of crawling out onto the windscreen when people are driving. The problem is that this spider is huge and people tend to react in a rather alarmed manner when the sun is being blocked out by an eight legged beastie... and swerve straight into the nearest immovable object...! :blink:

Kinda makes me glad I live in a country where the biggest spider is usually about th size of a penny and theres only one kind of poisionous snake, and thats not often encountered...

http://www.blackhawkauto.org/bytes.html

SPIDER BYTES

AMAZING SPIDER FACTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wherever you are in the world, you are probably within 3 feet of a spider.

Spiders eat 80% of the world’s insects. Without them we would be overrun by bugs.

In the New World tropics as many as 80% of the species are currently unknown to science.

Piaroa Indians of Venezuela enjoy eating toasted tarantulas.

When threatened, most spiders drop and play dead or run. Biting is almost always a last resort.

Generally, the female spiders are bigger than the males.

Legends to the contrary, female spiders rarely eat males after mating.

Spiders have been spotted flying among jets at 15,000 feet.

Spider silks can absorb more energy than any man-made fiber.

Since spider silk is one of the strongest fibers known, the U.S. Army is interested in using spider silk to make, among other things, a more effective bullet-proof vest.

Silk starts as a liquid protein which becomes a solid thread — not because it dries, but because tension reorients the protein molecules.

Spiders on amphetamines make smaller webs. On caffeine, they can’t keep up the orderly pattern. On LSD, they spin exceptionally regular webs, and on valium, they abandon web building altogether.

If you see a spider web it was probably spun by a female. The adult males usually don’t bother! All they want to do is run around and court females.

Of 34,000 known spider species, only a fraction of 1 percent are dangerous to humans. In California the only ones we have to worry about are the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse.

Spiders only eat live food.

Most spiders can fast for a month or more. A large well-fed tarantula can go without food for as long as a year.

Spiders use their feet to taste, smell and hear.

The receptors a spider uses to “see” the world (smells, tastes, sounds, temperature, gravity) are distributed all over its body — many of them look like hairs.

Spiders grow by molting, shedding their exoskeleton when it becomes too tight.

The male European house spider can run the equivalent of a human running the length of 6 football fields in 10 seconds.

In addition to the “hairs” that are sensory organs, others serve purely mechanical purposes. Tarantulas and others have tiny foot hairs that allow them to climb glass walls. Others have hairs which trap bubbles of air that allow them to swim and hunt underwater.

F-ZeroOne, you live in Finland???

(or maybe Im just hallucinating that theres only two snakes in Finland, and only one is venomous, and theyre actually pretty rare because of their short time out of hibernation each year...)

-BEN-MAN-

One quick web-search later...

Eep.

I'm gonna need a bigger gun...  :ph34r:

I also heard they are pretty good toasted. :p

Killer Brazilian Death Spiders!! :o

Yep.... a few of them together can carry you away!! :ph34r:

They do not have venom though.

So we should strap lasers on them and use them as weapons?

spiders... most poisonous spider in the world is the north american daddy long legs. It's also never killed a man as it's fangs are to small to pierce the skin. Well, maybe it has killed but somebody would have to be pretty stupid to be rubbing spiders in an open wound :blink:

It thought this was about ants though. Listenin to you guys I realize I watched way to much tv as a kid. Them has been mentioned. Empire of the ants has been as well, though it was not radio-active sugar that made them big, it was dumped radioactive waste that made them take over a conviniently placed sugar plant. "it came from the desert" anyone??? Nothing like going into a giant ant hill armed with flame throwers. I know I saw at least two other "B-film"s about ant's, though the names escape me... perhaps due to a poor memory or perhaps because they weren't worth remembering.

Giant ants also made appearences in a lot of different movies that weren't about only ants. I know they battled a giant crab and I think they had to deal with some ants in whatever the clasic film about some civil war type folk in a hot air ballon drifting to a mesterious island where captain nemo is trying to repair his ship. Probably called "mysterious island" and possible written by vern, but don't quote me on either. I know hercules had to fight some in one of the hundreds of movies about him. I remember some really weird movie set it the heart of africa involving a sacrifice to a giant ant like insect... ant or a termite and done poorly so I couldn't distinguish when I saw it.