Japanese Engrish

areaseven

FYI the last set of photos come from the '80's. If I'm not mistaken, it's from a book about amusing but failed Japanese inventions. The sign on the lady's hat says "wake me up when I get to ### station." The series of pictures is missing another one - a toilet plunger and what amounts to a noose. Attached to the ceiling allowing the user to sleep standing up.

Before I moved to Japan, I felt that the inventions to aid on sleeping on the train were amusing. Now, I don't. I actually sympathise, as there have been many a night (sometimes morning) were I've wanted to do the same!

FYI the last set of photos come from the '80's. If I'm not mistaken, it's from a book about amusing but failed Japanese inventions. The sign on the lady's hat says "wake me up when I get to ### station." The series of pictures is missing another one - a toilet plunger and what amounts to a noose. Attached to the ceiling allowing the user to sleep standing up.

Before I moved to Japan, I felt that the inventions to aid on sleeping on the train were amusing. Now, I don't. I actually sympathise, as there have been many a night (sometimes morning) were I've wanted to do the same!

IIRC, the series of books was "# (e.g. 101) Un-Useless Inventions. They weren't failed inventions as such, but part of a sort of design concept where the invention had to actually work or function but be completely impractical at the same time. There was a Japanese word for them but I forget what it was.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Came across this one while searching around for whatever... It's Keiko Kitagawa, that hot chick who played Rei in the live action Sailor Moon TV show. Since she does some serious modelling and acting, you would figure she'd know what she's wearing.

p249.jpg

Came across this one while searching around for whatever... It's Keiko Kitagawa, that hot chick who played Rei in the live action Sailor Moon TV show. Since she does some serious modeling and acting, you would figure she'd know what she's wearing.

I think it goes to show that some people don't care about what they wear, whether or not they understand English.

Would that be the names of somebody, or what they serves? :blink:

Actually, this one is from Thailand. It's an intentional joke as far as I know. There's so many young girls having unprotected sex that they decided to adress the issue.......with a restaurant????? :blink:

Edited by Alex

Actually, this one is from Thailand. It's an intentional joke as far as I know. There's so many young girls having unprotected sex that they decided to adress the issue.......with a restaurant????? :blink:

Is it a chain or something then? Cause there's one of those restaurants right here in Kyoto. I'll take a pic next time.

Is it a chain or something then? Cause there's one of those restaurants right here in Kyoto. I'll take a pic next time.

In Kyoto? Huh. Like I said, i only heard about it while in Thailand and I was told they were only located in that country. The restaurants are used to provide support and funds for the PDA and various programs to help local people. It was originally a family planning organisation and helped to spread awareness of things like Aids and the dangers of prostitution to the locals who had zero information available to them.

Edited by Alex

lol what's with the "hornyness"? What are they trying to say? ^_^

I saw a funny one a while back. The sign was trying to say "Take the simple route" but actually said "Take the SIN PUL route".

They get ROUTE right but not SIMPLE. And i'm not sinfully pulling anything they offer me. Never did find out what it was a sign for. Perhaps I have the answer already :lol:

Came across this one while searching around for whatever... It's Keiko Kitagawa, that hot chick who played Rei in the live action Sailor Moon TV show. Since she does some serious modelling and acting, you would figure she'd know what she's wearing.

p249.jpg

Maybe she does. I was under the impression she was learning more English after being in one Hollywood movie already. Besides I've seen shirts with worse things on them for sale in English countries... maybe she really thinks Skinny Bitch is apt.

• 2 months later...

"How queer everything is today" is a quote from Alice in Wonderland.

Still, taken out of context............

And the t-shirt with the bear and Donald McDonald (in Japan) says "bear claw". I know that's a kind of pastry but what does this t-shirt mean.

Edited by Alex