Well....this Was An Interesting Find

Channel surfing is what I do at work...and I love it. Sometimes I get surprised what I come across. This one totally floored me, cause I didn't expect it in the least.

A little while back, while channel surfing at work, I caught about 5 seconds of Totally Spies. Its not my cup of tea to say the least. However, it was what was on screen that stood out. I finally found one screen cap of it, and figured I would share it. I'm going to try and find a few more.

gallery_2_35_19500.jpg

Hmmm.....looks basically like the the Flashclapper....

hovercycle.gif

or maybe the Thunderclapper....

ArmoredHoverCycle2.gif

Is the Thunder Clapper ever in Southern Cross or is it like a Design Works mecha (kinda like MOSPEADA's armored Tread)? I would say the Totally Spies girl's ride doesn't really resemble the Thunder Clapper at all but certianly has a lot in common with a Flash Clapper. Problem is, I think if any of us tried to design a hover cycle we'd almost all design something that closely resembled a flash clapper.

Edited by jenius

I agree with Jenius. I don't know so much if there was some kind of implied reference or whatever, but one bike very much looks like another. A hoverbike in any series is probably going to share design elements from those of another (for example, it could be argued that the SC hoverbikes were copied from the hoverbikes used during a particular futuristic segment of "Heavy Metal", which probably beat it to production by a year or two).

So yeah, it's a cool find, and sure it looks like the SC hoverbikes, but I doubt it was on purpose (don't know if you were implying that nor not with your post)

Hey 1st Border Red Devil, are you the same person as Brooklyn Red Leg at the RT.com forums???

If so, what are you doing in a website full of Macross retards (as BRL likes to call them)???  <_<

367378[/snapback]

Yeah he's one in the same guy. He also posts a lot at that Robotech Headquarters (think that's that name of the site). He used the term "Macross retards" there at least once, but he did give an explination of who exactly he was talking about. It wasn't suppose to apply to all Macross fans as one lump sum group.

Perhaps he would care to give us an exact explination of what he is referring to. :)

Hey 1st Border Red Devil, are you the same person as Brooklyn Red Leg at the RT.com forums??? If so, what are you doing in a website full of Macross retards (as BRL likes to call them)???  <_<

367378[/snapback]

I could ask you the same as to why you are at Robotech.com since you 'hope that HG one day will vanish forever so we can all have Yamatos at cheap crazy prices'.

If you wanna get into a pissing contest, be my guest Waters7.

He also posts a lot at that Robotech Headquarters

RDF HQ EZBoard Messageboard....

Perhaps he would care to give us an exact explination of what he is referring to.

It usually applies to narcistic Macross fans who have the nerve to constantly tell me, whether I want to hear it or not, that Southern Cross sucks ass and that there is no fan base and I should just shut up and go away. It also applies to a-holes at Robotech.com that think The Macross Saga is all there is to Robotech, and the rest is not even worth wiping their ass with and any of us who are fans of anything else in Robotech are simply deluded and/or stupid.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

could ask you the same as to why you are at Robotech.com since you 'hope that HG one day will vanish forever so we can all have Yamatos at cheap crazy prices'.

I'm there for Robotech, not HG or their business practices, I do like Robotech, just as I like Macross, Southern Cross or Mospeada ;)

If you wanna get into a pissing contest, be my guest Waters7.

Do you have to be agressive all the time?? take a chill pill, it was just a question

It usually applies to narcistic Macross fans who have the nerve to constantly tell me, whether I want to hear it or not, that Southern Cross sucks ass and that there is no fan base and I should just shut up and go away. It also applies to a-holes at Robotech.com that think The Macross Saga is all there is to Robotech, and the rest is not even worth wiping their ass with and any of us who are fans of anything else in Robotech are simply deluded and/or stupid.

That's what actually surprises me because this forum might have more people like that than in RT.com

I always kinda figured Macross retards were people who thought spelling Robotech "Row-boat-tech" or any other "funny" way was amusing and/or clever.

367469[/snapback]

Awesome. That's exactly the reaction I was hoping for when I coined that term, back in the day.

367472[/snapback]

Ah don't worry about it. You may be a retard but you're OUR retard. :p:lol:

Ah don't worry about it.  You may be a retard but you're OUR retard.   :p  :lol:

367475[/snapback]

Better to post on the internet and have people think you're a retard, than to live in Toronto and prove it. :p

367476[/snapback]

Pshinnngg! Off the Torontonian's ego and back at the Winnipeger! We're secure in our retardness, we don't have to prove it online. Are you? :)

"Most people" are morons... they often times don't get the hundreds of literary references thrown at them, asking them to pick up on obscure anime references is a tall task. I think the term "homage" is really off here though. They're more like inside jokes and the beauty of those is they're not supposed to be understood by many people.

"Most people" are morons... they often times don't get the hundreds of literary references thrown at them, asking them to pick up on obscure anime references is a tall task.  I think the term "homage" is really off here though.  They're more like inside jokes and the beauty of those is they're not supposed to be understood by many people.

367486[/snapback]

I think you're right, most of the kids who watch Totally Spies don't have any idea what Southern Cross let alone the name Robotech, so I suspect it as something put in by one of the designers who probably grew up watching Robotech.

Zing.

Anyway... on the subject of "American Anime" what is the concensus here on things like this hover bike if it WAS actually an homage. Do you think people see stuff like that and "get it" or do you think it goes right over the heads of most people?

367481[/snapback]

Depends on age group, but I'd wager a guess and say the homage goes right over their heads. Not surprising given the age of Southern Cross and Macross.

I always kinda figured Macross retards were people who thought spelling Robotech "Row-boat-tech" or any other "funny" way was amusing and/or clever.

367469[/snapback]

Awesome. That's exactly the reaction I was hoping for when I coined that term, back in the day.

367472[/snapback]

Ah don't worry about it. You may be a retard but you're OUR retard. :p:lol:

367475[/snapback]

YLM is a sexy bitch.

I agree, I always found that the Souther Cross/Robotech Masters part of Robotech allowed for the most freedom in terms of expanding upon the RT story due to it being incomplete. There is a gap before it and after it. Not only that but it actually open up further doors to explaind the entire Robotech Masters situation and their civiliation, same for the Zents in RT. Then there is the whole Pioneer Mission situation. Yet HG, well mainly people like Tommy want to ignore it and not be creative but rather rehash past ideas (animation and comics) instead of trying push RT in a direction that it could really be it's own show and not have to rely on it's roots and be actually original for the most part.

I still havne't seen the original Southern Cross yet, money has been tight and haven't really gotten many anime products in some time I still want to check it out even if it was never finished.

The little girl sequence forced Max and Millia to have another daughter.

367537[/snapback]

Actually, dialogue in both eps. #50 Triumvirate and eps. #60 Catastrophe revealed that Max and Miriya had 3 children: Dana, unnamed little brother and Aurora/Maia. Macek's stupid post-Robotech reasonings aren't worth a bucket of warm spit because he didn't write Robotech.

I agree, I always found that the Souther Cross/Robotech Masters part of Robotech allowed for the most freedom in terms of expanding upon the RT story due to it being incomplete.

Well, I'm more of a MOSPEADA retard than a Macross retard but I always hated the Robotech Masters branch for a number of reasons. I think one of the primary reasons is because it does offer so much potential to actually explain the Robotech story in a more coherent way but just fails miserably. We get all this repetitive, stilted, and uninteresting dialogue from The Masters which SHOULD have been used to explain what their relationship to the Zentraedi was, what their relationship to the Invid was, and just how exactly the SDF-1 slipped out of their grasp. If that segment of the series had been done better it could have made Robotech as a whole much more cohesive.

367441[/snapback]

Well, I'd personally contend that watching Southern Cross is like watching old people fu(k. However, it is your life and if that's what bends your taco, by all means embrace it. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

The same could be said for pretty much all anime that makes its way to TV over here nowadays.

368055[/snapback]

Yeah, I guess it's the same everywhere (except Japan/Asia :p )

At least we had Neon Genesis Evangelion on tv over here. Though, I believe it is the only actual anime series that's been on (non-pay) tv here. If we forget dubbed Pokemon, Digimon, Hamtaro, Duel masters, Beyblade....... :blink:

Edited by Sdf-1