Handheld Ipod/pda Dvd Ripping/viewing

Agent ONE

I watch more video on my palm 700W than I do on my TV... My GF always wants to watch "Project Runway" or some other lame crap... Which allows for me to sit next to her with my 700 and watch Dolph Lundgren chop people's heads off in low budget 80's action movies.

Anyway I have been experimenting with methods of ripping and wanted to know if anyone else here was doing it or interested in knowing how to do it.

Watching video on such a small screen with tinny little speakers or headphones drives me up a wall... I'm a home theater nut through and through. However a lot of the people at my company have those new video Ipods and they seem to like them... but they hardly ever use the video feature. Now the people with PSP's use them to play UMD movies once in a blue moon and most have short video ripped onto their memory cards. But once again it's more of a gimmick than it is a regularly used feature with them... kind of like having a camera in your cell phone. Sure it's cool for the first ten minutes but after that it's just another feature that you occasionally use and usually only when goofing off.

Give me a 60"+ widescreen DLP with a home theater surround system any day of the week. Then again my wife hates TV and doesn't care for many movies so I always have my theater system to myself. B))

Yeah I love it! I can watch stuff in bed while the wife sleeps - and up close with such a high resolution screen, its like watching a 60" 10 feet away!

I've already got Macross DYRL ripped to the iPod and its clear enough to read all the subtitles (but I'm lazy, its the subbed version on). Plus with the widescreen option - I ripped mine at full resolution when viewing in the 1:33 mode so there's full sharpness. Plus its always nice to hear Wrath of Khan in the car stereo when you're on a long trip! :p

I watch more video on my palm 700W than I do on my TV... My GF always wants to watch "Project Runway" or some other lame crap... Which allows for me to sit next to her with my 700 and watch Dolph Lundgren chop people's heads off in low budget 80's action movies.

Anyway I have been experimenting with methods of ripping and wanted to know if anyone else here was doing it or interested in knowing how to do it.

366297[/snapback]

I have the equipment and have been too lazy to research the reformatting of video material for my Ipod, if you wanted to link or post a tutorial for PC users I'd be happy to read it :)

I used Pocket DVD studio to rip, the newest version does WMV compression (the previous only did .avi.).

240x192 resolution (this is optimized for my 700 but you should optimize it for the exact res you want to get the best file size to performance ratio.

Manually set 24 frames per second in the output options

FM Mono quality sound, 32kbps

Quality settings at slightly above 65%

With these settings: I ripped Fight Club into a 144 meg file that plays perfectly in media player on my 700.

Don't go with freeware aps, I tried em all first and they don't have the quality of Pocket DVD Studio.

Well A friend of mine has several 1 gig memory sticks for his PSP he rips his DVd`s and t.v programmes to it and watches them on the train to work. He can also get live t.v on his cell phone but prefers the bigger screen on the PSP.

I cant remember the name of the programme he uses to rip bit I know it also does the job for his phone and will work on his photo Ipod. Basically it has loads of settings and an ability to convert format to format as well. Looks good to me as long as the source material is good the result is also good. He watches Macross Zero on it with subs, and also has usewd it to watch Red Dwarf and StarWarsf e.t.c. He recons it is as good as the UMD output. I will get the name of the programme (I think its freeware) and post it here

Edited by big F

I've got a PSP and I put tons of downloaded media on it.... I watched the last few epsiodes of Elfen Lied in bed on it the other day when I was sick... I don't know how to do DVDs though, but I would sure love to learn how. I can think of nothing better than bringing Super Troopers with me whereeer I go :lol:

The only thing I've found is that I don't seem to be able to convert some .mkv video files to PSP format (Quicktime mpeg-4) Which is upsetting because this is most of my Gundam series....

The only thing I've found is that I don't seem to be able to convert some .mkv video files to PSP format (Quicktime mpeg-4)  Which is upsetting because this is most of my Gundam series....

366549[/snapback]

.mkv files are kinda funny like that. You can do a straight conversion, but I've heard it's just easier to convert to some easier avi (DivX or Xvid) and then convert to PSP, but I don't know if you want to keep converting from one format to the other. :(

Oh yeah, I used to play around with video on the PSP. Not to thrilling. But I got a iPod with video, and I LOVE it. The screen has a good 4:3 ratio for TV shows, and the iPod is much smaller than the PSP. Ideally suited for curling up in bed with. And you can't beat the storage... I have over 700 songs (with album art), the Stewie Griffin movie, plus every episode of Family Guy ever broadcast, and I'm only half full.

I haven't found anything I've liked yet for ripping a DVD to a video file (I'll check out Pocket DVD Studio, A1), but if you already have a video file on your computer, say some fansubbed anime you bittorrented, you can use Videora iPod Converter to convert it into a file that works on your iPod. It should work for PSP users as well, although the Videora people have a converter specifically for PSPs. The only real difference is that the PSP one automatically renames the files so the PSP can find them, while the iPod converter doesn't (since the you can call it whatever you want and the iPod can detect it).

Now while i dont rip video's for use on portable platforms, i know a little bit about encoding, pretty much any question can be awnsered at www.doom9.org.

listed on the site are various guides for ripping dvd's to diffrent codecs/formats. and the download section has all kinds of nifty programs and stuff to do it.and the good thing is, the techniques can be applied to anything encoding related.

as for .mkv's remember there a container format like .avi, only more versitle. So you can take the contents of the .mkv and convert them to .avi(the codecs will be the same, and its relitively simple/easy to do if you use virtual dub mod) The only difficult thing you'll face is having to encode the subtitles directly to the video.

And the psp uses quicktime mpeg-4 specificly? i thought it used just straght standerd mpeg-4 with aac audio? not quicktime specificly.

Oh yeah, I used to play around with video on the PSP.  Not to thrilling.  But I got a iPod with video, and I LOVE it.  The screen has a good 4:3 ratio for TV shows, and the iPod is much smaller than the PSP.  Ideally suited for curling up in bed with.  And you can't beat the storage... I have over 700 songs (with album art), the Stewie Griffin movie, plus every episode of Family Guy ever broadcast, and I'm only half full.

I haven't found anything I've liked yet for ripping a DVD to a video file (I'll check out Pocket DVD Studio, A1), but if you already have a video file on your computer, say some fansubbed anime you bittorrented, you can use Videora iPod Converter to convert it into a file that works on your iPod.  It should work for PSP users as well, although the Videora people have a converter specifically for PSPs.  The only real difference is that the PSP one automatically renames the files so the PSP can find them, while the iPod converter doesn't (since the you can call it whatever you want and the iPod can detect it).

366603[/snapback]

Bad ass my man... I have every ep of the Fam Guy too. Whole bunch of bad 80s action movies too.

I'm with JsARCLIGHT on this, I have no interest on watching movies on the tiny screen of a portable platform.

Call me old fashioned, but If I'm away from home and have time to kill, I'd much rather read a good book.

Graham

366863[/snapback]

Depends on what it is... Some things need the big screen and the sub, but if its like some old not particularly visual movie, then who cares.

I'm with JsARCLIGHT on this, I have no interest on watching movies on the tiny screen of a portable platform.

Call me old fashioned, but If I'm away from home and have time to kill, I'd much rather read a good book.

Graham

366863[/snapback]

You know you can use em for ebooks as well. Music videos and books all in one easy to carry space saving device. Travel light I say ( more room for Macross )

eBooks, paper books... Who cares, I have A.D.D. I read something if I have to, but normally I don't have the time for it. Even posters here like LowViz and Edo, I do not have the attention span to read their posts. Fortunately they both post complete nonsense so I am not missing a thing.

Whole bunch of bad 80s action movies too.

Which bad 80s action movies do you have?

Do you have Red Dawn?

(Thats a trick question because Red Dawn is a superior 80s action movie. A failure to have Red Dawn would pretty much destroy your credibility as an 80s action movie affectionado. Even a hardcore mindless uber patriot like Tom Clancy would have his nut bust pure concrete to see such jingoistic joy like Red Dawn. And its got Powers Boothe in it. How much more do you need to sell a war movie than a guy named "Powers" in it?)

[image removed]

WOLVERINES!

God A1, you haven't started your own dedicated Red Dawn thread yet. Whats up with that man?

367227[/snapback]

Eckert

This true or have Firefox and Terminator If you don't have red dawn to be a 80's movie affectionado.

Graham

366863[/snapback]

You know you can use em for ebooks as well. Music videos and books all in one easy to carry space saving device. Travel light I say ( more room for Macross )

366926[/snapback]

Heh, actually, I read the first two or three books in the Hitchiker's series entirely on my PSP. I enjoy a good paper book, but I'll take what I can get.

Call me a dinosaur, but I'm dead set against ebooks. I prefer the feel of a real paper book in my hands.

Graham

366943[/snapback]

Ahhh Paper I remember paper. We had paper before we chopped all the trees down.

bokmal.gif

Seriously real books are great and I still cant get used to reading a book on a plastic hand held device that runs outof power right before the good part.

They are good though when space is tight.

Nothing is wrong with Jennifer Grey... to some people. I personally want to hit her with an oar because of Dirty Dancing. Swayze and Grey go from shooting commies to american pop culture darlings in three short years.  :ph34r:

367495[/snapback]

M hates you now, she is reading our important discussion over my shoulder.

367536[/snapback]

Oh I step on the Dirty Dancing landmine all the time. I have yet to meet a woman who realizes how cheap and sensationalized that movie is...

The real question is do you have Dirty Dancing on your portible video? :ph34r:

367536[/snapback]

Oh I step on the Dirty Dancing landmine all the time. I have yet to meet a woman who realizes how cheap and sensationalized that movie is...

The real question is do you have Dirty Dancing on your portible video? :ph34r:

367666[/snapback]

Not so much. M thinks its the best thing ever though.