The Megazone 23 Garland By Yamato Thread

Renato

Love the covers on the back of the leg and how they flip out.

When is yamato going to make some bubblegum crisis 2032 mecha like the k12, and that thing priss used which transformed her bike into a aliens-style power loader?

Do they have the license?

They had prototype of the Motoslave early 2007 but the project may have been scrapped because we haven't had any news for months.

• 4 weeks later...

I received mine last week and I'm happy to report that I am extremely happy with it. A little tricky to transform but it was well worth the cost.

Who else has picked up one of these? And does anyone have any insider news as to other possible mecha from part 2?

I guess if we're lucky, YAMATO will make the Hargan. They did include the gun and shield with the Proto G, afterall... Should be less tricky since it was designed to be transformed with detachable arms? Anyone know how many color variations there are?

Otherwise, an E=X Garland would be the topper, though I seriously doubt it... it's really a one-of-a-kind with hardly any common parts with the first Garlands.

Another possible Garland is the green cannon fodder flying one, the Strike Garland (I think that's the name). It's exactly like the first one, but it has rocket nozzles instead of tires. And there's even a rocket launcher equipped one:

Edit: Looking at it, it's not quite like the first Garland, but it still looks closer to it than the E=X Garland does.

post-1636-1203972289_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1203972328_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

I'm also considering the military Garland, just because I love the more business-like looking pilot. But now that Proto sports flip-out mirrors and slide-lock front catches, what are the chances they will use the chest mold for future Garland variants (green?) or even 'improved' reissues? Hmm...

As for the hover-version, not having the tricky wheel-transformation would take away a lot of the fun, I think. :-)

BTW, how do you Garland owners stow the weapons in bike mode? Officially, the smallish gun on the original was (magically) stored in the forearms? For Proto G, I stuck with the slim barrel rifle (w/o the extra cannister), and just shoved it between the saddle and the right leg. Wish there was a proper way to mount it on the sides.

Check out this previous review of the super pricey Atelia Sai figures by the incomparable 'PONY-san':

http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/SAI-MEGA23.htm

http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/SAI-MEGA23_2.htm

Man, I would love to have that bada$$ cannon the Proto G is wielding! Maybe it will appear as a 'special part' with another variant release...

The Proto-Garland is definelty a sweet figure. Dead-on details to the line art and the shoulders show no QC issues. Carefully comparing it to the original Garland toy, you can see that there is not a single shared piece. It is an entirely new sculpt even if the changes are hard to detect (like the shapes of the forearms and upper legs that I would have expected them to reuse are even slightly different).

And I think that's great because it shows that Yamato was willing to put in some serious work to produce the Proto-Garland even after the issues with the first one may have been a potential sales problem. And that means they may be willing to do more new sculpts like the Green grunt hover-Garlands from Part II . Here's hoping.

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting a little longer for the cash to pick up this bad-boy. I love the Garland (got one from Macross73 a few years ago) but REALLY love the Proto-Garland. The only thing that could be better is if they did the Military Hover-Garland from Part II.

Thanks to the heads up from people here, I was able to carefully transform my first Garland with little problem and no breakage. When I pick up the Proto-Garland, that will be transformed into Slave mode and the original will go back into Craft mode.

Just got my factory colour Garland yesterday. People said that the shoulders on the military version and this one had been fixed, and sure enough, I've heard of no breakages since then, but I was still scared $hitless whilst transforming it. I didn't get the Proto-Garland because I'm not crazy about the colour, so when the inevitable repaint comes out I may get that... unless it's another diarrhoea variant.

Am I the only person who actually LIKES the Proto's paint scheme?

Having said that, Renato's proposed blue/white scheme would be quite nice. I'd personally like to see the Proto in gray/black. Similar to the stealth 1/48.

The Proto G colors really grow on you, plus the fact that it doesn't have 'issues' means you can TF it back and forth without worries as long as you understand the swing-bars are STILL considered delicate parts.

Glane21, it's interesting that you've noted the small but significant differences between the Proto and the 'normal' Garland. As I don't own the original version, I was surprised that the 'Hargan shield' couldn't fit the Proto's forearm 'clips'. Luckily I didn't force it!

However, I do wonder if the chest is really that different aside from the sliding front-locks and flip-out mirrors. I can totally imagine a future 'improved' reissue of the Garland that incorporates those features.

Yeah, I think the chest is different, I think it is longer. Anyway, I hear 90% of it is new parts, that's pretty awesome.

As for the cockpit hatch, I'm not sure what you mean because you can do that on the original Garland just fine.

What impressed me about the video was not the shoulder torture... it's that JoshB managed to fit the Hargan shield onto the ProtoG! I never did dare to 'force the issue' with my toy, especially after the comments that the Garland had 'subtly different' parts compared to the ProtoG. I really felt that the shield's clip was too narrow/tight to fit the ProtoG's forearm struts. I could probably force it on but could I get if off again without damaging anything?

As for repaints, maybe another 'silver factory scheme'? Or they could just go Gucci with a black/gold ProtoG ala Macross 25th.

Edited by drifand

They may do repaints but to be fair, the all the recolors of the original Garland had basis either from the anime (brown military) or the series sourcebooks - the silver factory color is in one of the artbooks. So any Proto recolor will be purely financial in motive I guess.

My hope is that they are already at work on sculpting the green Hover Garlands , Hurgan, Wildesau, E-X, etc.

What impressed me about the video was not the shoulder torture... it's that JoshB managed to fit the Hargan shield onto the ProtoG! I never did dare to 'force the issue' with my toy, especially after the comments that the Garland had 'subtly different' parts compared to the ProtoG. I really felt that the shield's clip was too narrow/tight to fit the ProtoG's forearm struts. I could probably force it on but could I get if off again without damaging anything?

I have no problem fitting the shield onto the Proto G.

I don't clip it, I slide the shield clip to fit the forearm struts B))

I bought the Proto yesterday. I'm amazed (having owned the original before my landlady accidentally threw it out) how different it is while being so similar.

It's far more satisfying to transform than the original Judy. I love all the little bits that were added and the little parts on the side with the magnets that "automatically" attach to the legs when you transform it.

The Hargun shield........I also have no problem attaching mine. I just put it at an angle to the strut then push the other side down until it clips on.

And I'm loving the "Guns. Lots of guns" aspect to the toy.

BTW. I'm thinking of chopping Shogo in half and giving him Meecro-man legs. Has anyone else done something similar?

Edited by Alex