Have Any Of You Experienced This?

kanedaestes

So I am making a video about some F-15s that are visiting my base from Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, and when I was standing on the flight line with my camera looking at them all i could think about was macross. Like how cool it would be to be standing next to some valks getting ready for take off and stuff. I also got even more appreciation for Shoji as i stood there looking at the fighters thinking about the VF-1 designs, and how everything transforms and stuff, god it was like being a kid again watching Macross (or rather i was watching robotech in germany) and seeing all the valks taking off, ground crews scurring around and everything. Any of you ever had that happen to you? I know a few of you have been around fighters a couple of times before.

I actually stood next to a F-14 Tomcat with the Jolly Rodgers colors minus the skul and crossbones at Willow Grove airbase in PA, and I felt the very same thing you felt. I have to look for that picture I took of it with me in front of it. I was Awestruck when I final got my chace to stand next to the fighter the inspired the VF-1.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Yep. I was up in the F-22 looking at everything; even the cool engine nozzles and thought, "one step closer to a YF-19/21." We're gettin' there. They say "art imitates life," but the tables are turning. Look at the movie "Aliens." Most of the futuristic weaponry on there is now in acceptance testing! Maybe someday a valk...

Well that vehicle inside optimus prime is similar to the wheeled ground robots with guns on them today. Maybe one day somebody will make a modular vehicle with alternate modes of attack. We haven't even got destroids, or proper powered suits to save a human's energy and to protect workers from harsh alien environments yet dammnit.

The destroids of today are more like remote controlled cars with nobody inside them (like a ghost drone for the ground :D) than the macross giant robots with feet. Where are our all terrain, all weather, powered armor which can be brought aboard a ship to fight in space or used as a construction robot or to fight close range aginast humanoid giants? (and requiring a pilot inside to fight them and control it with some intelligence and awareness of what is around him by himself)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I always get that when I see big red semitrailer and think of transformers. I think of optimus prime and wonder how cool it would be if the truck might start to talk and say "Autobots, transform and roll out!", followed by the classic transforming noise they make. :D

359966[/snapback]

Ha ha! I can totally relate. I was an over the road truck driver for a while and all I wanted to do is save up enough money to buy my own rig and paint it just like optimus with the autobot symbol and everything. Only problem is Optimus Prime is a 1980s cab over and it would have been a pain driving that for 10 hours a day. I swear there are trucks out there though that are exact matches for optimus besides there colors.

Can you imagine the horror paying for the gas and parking for that thing?!

360981[/snapback]

IIRC, there are 2 tanks and each holds 150 gallons. Back then gas was about $1.25 and I was paying over $300 to fill up. So you figure its double that now, so about $600 a fill up. OUCH! :blink:

360986[/snapback]

Yeah everytime I see any vehical that was used in Transformers (old and new) I think about it transforming. Jet fighters are always awesome, I love the F14 the Phantom and the Tornado.

Exo suits would be cool even just for the construction industry alone.

Technology is not that far from them now.

A huge Kenworth truck on ya drive in red with a silver stripe would kick ass though.

A freind of mine used to have a yellow VW beetle with a Autobot logo on the boot lid. kids always wanted to know if it could transform and wanted you to take their picture with it when he was at the supermarket.

The closest you may ever get to a "real" transformer

Themichaelsmith.com click the vw transformer link

$1.25 a gallon I wish... The U.K prices would make you need to see the bank manager everytime you filled up. Currently nearer $7.50 a gallon.

Edited by big F

Can you imagine the horror paying for the gas and parking for that thing?!

360981[/snapback]

IIRC, there are 2 tanks and each holds 150 gallons. Back then gas was about $1.25 and I was paying over $300 to fill up. So you figure its double that now, so about $600 a fill up. OUCH! :blink:

360986[/snapback]

In fracking sane! I enjoy Prime as much as the next TF nut but, the cost of operating it alone, would deter me from ever seriously buying a that truck. :o:(

The rig itself is also rather expensive, isn't it?

361067[/snapback]

a 1980s cab over wouldnt cost a lot to buy. In fact, these trucks lose their value quickly because they get abused. But the repairs would probably add up quickly. Then a custom paint job ect......Purchasing this would have been a business expense, as I would be using to haul food and stuff across the county. I wouldn't invest that much money into it just for the sake of having it. Hmmmmm.....I actually made a pretty good living as a truck driver. Sometimes I question why I quit.

Back on topic for bit, I went to the air show at Edwards AFB, and saw the raptor. Sweet jet and the first thought in my mind was how it would look in battroid mode.

I have seen a couple 1980 Kenworth cabs over here in England so If they can be used to haul at our gas prices then you guys over the otherside of the pond should be o.k

Hell if you could get the Tractorcab and the trailer you could mod the trailer Winniebago style and live in it.

I have seen a couple 1980 Kenworth cabs  over here in England so If they can be used to haul at our gas prices then you guys over the otherside of the pond should be o.k

Hell if you could get the Tractorcab and the trailer you could mod the trailer Winniebago style and live in it.

361348[/snapback]

And heck, if you're getting it to be like Prime, you need the trailer anyways.

Just make sure it's an air-conditioned trailer.

I actually stood next to a F-14 Tomcat with the Jolly Rodgers colors minus the skul and crossbones at Willow Grove airbase in PA, and I felt the very same thing you felt. I have to look for that picture I took of it with me in front of it. I was Awestruck when I final got my chace to stand next to the fighter the inspired the VF-1.

360549[/snapback]

I always think of Macross whenever I see "The Final Countdown".

A classic.

361382[/snapback]

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to cobble together a custom-dune buggy and have Roller-type vehicle...

361382[/snapback]

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to cobble together a custom-dune buggy and have Roller-type vehicle...

362214[/snapback]

Well You could do its body work in GRP and Metal sheets the extra wheels would nessesitate the use of a custom tubular chassis. Not to hard for a competent Engineering type person. after all If my friend can build full chassis for his comp spec 4X4 in his yard then Im sure you could knock up a roller chassis after a session with the ruler and a set square.