Starship Sizes Comparison

Kin

That site is awesome. I never would have guessed that my favorite ship, the "immense" Star Trek Galaxy class, could be dwarfed by so many other types of ships. I especially enjoy the feature that allows you to "click and drag" a ship and orient it anywhere on or around another type of ship. I had the Galaxy class side by side with the Super Star Destroyer just for laughs...

-Better get more torpedoes... :(

Edited by myk

Heh...............every 3-4 months somebody here 'stumbles' across this site and posts about it.  B))

355222[/snapback]

Funny thing is ..... when I visit each time, it still retains its 'coolness factor' and I usually find something new. :D

I never would have guessed that my favorite ship, the "immense" Star Trek Galaxy class, could be dwarfed by so many other types of ships.

I know what you mean! The Enterprise always seemed to big on TNG. What's more, while I'd figured the Macross must have been pretty big for the citizens of South Ataria to rebuild their city inside it, it's a bit bigger than I'd thought. It dwarfs Star Trek's Galaxy class, and is just a tad smaller than an Imperial Star Destroyer.

It's also fun to compare the Death Stars with Unicron or with the Zentraedi Fulbtzs Berrentzs and Bodolza command stations (with Earth's moon to scale in the background). The Death Stars aren't as big as you might think.

The only size I think is off, and maybe it's just me, is the Romulan Deridex (sp?)...I always thought it was roughly as big as (maybe a bit bigger than) the Enterprise-D, rather than being in the same size class as the Macross.

Edited by Pat Payne

I know what you mean!  The Enterprise always seemed to big on TNG.  What's more, while I'd figured the Macross must have been pretty big for the citizens of South Ataria to rebuild their city inside it, it's a bit bigger than I'd thought.  It dwarfs Star Trek's Galaxy class, and is just a tad smaller than an Imperial Star Destroyer.

355334[/snapback]

If you superimpose the image of the Empire State Building against the SDF-1, it'll show how much anime magic is needed to fit the town as seen on TV into a 'mere' 1200 metre long ship.

I know what you mean!  The Enterprise always seemed to big on TNG.  What's more, while I'd figured the Macross must have been pretty big for the citizens of South Ataria to rebuild their city inside it, it's a bit bigger than I'd thought.  It dwarfs Star Trek's Galaxy class, and is just a tad smaller than an Imperial Star Destroyer.

355334[/snapback]

If you superimpose the image of the Empire State Building against the SDF-1, it'll show how much anime magic is needed to fit the town as seen on TV into a 'mere' 1200 metre long ship.

355338[/snapback]

Sovereign class Starship

685m

Accommodation: 885 (130 Officers; 725 Enlisted Crew); 2,500 person evacuation limit

the Macross is more 'bulkier'

how much of that space is taken up by equipment I do not know

but it's sure able to carry a lot more than a sovereign

Now it's been a while since I was into specs and numbers but what was

the size of SDF-1 again? +/-1300m?

what was the crew/civillian complement again?

The only size I think is off, and maybe it's just me, is the Romulan Deridex (sp?)...I always thought it was roughly as big as (maybe a bit bigger than) the Enterprise-D, rather than being in the same size class as the Macross.

355336[/snapback]

I hear ya on that one, although I checked the 'specs. for both ships and the

'D-Deridex is 1200m in length, roughly twice the length of the Galaxy class, which of course is accurately represented in the Starship's dimensions diagrams. Who knew? That Romulan ship is fat, too...

What's a Senkan Yamato? It's great they have that in there, but I'd love to click and drag an Andromeda class and start superimposing it on other ships.

-Now, all we need is someone to come up with a Super-Capital-Ship-Wars program to watch all of these ships take each other out!

I've been in contact with the site owner as to adding the starships and mecha from Gunbuster as well as some of the aliens. However, the aliens are proving to be difficult, as Gainax only gave dimensions for three of the subspecies of Uchuu Kaijuu. And I'm figuring the Black Hole Bomb will be giving some of those ships a run for their money considering it's got a total length of 869 kilometers and a height of 415 kilometers at the equator.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

I feel somewhat guilty looking at these... (zomg Spatula you some weird geeky nerdish freak or something? whenever people walk by my office computer). >_>

Still, my <3 goes to the Imperial Class Star Destroyer. SUPER <3

(Would I say something sacreligious, especially on MW, if I like it more than the SDF-1?)

It would only be sacrilegious if you said that you liked the SDF-3 more than the Macross itself... :D

Speaking of Star Wars ships, that Super Star Destroyer is just unbelievable-I had no idea it was that big...

What's funny is I think before I had this weird idea that the SSD was over 40 km. I'm not too sure why. Perhaps it was when I watched ESB and put the VHS on pause to take a tape measure and compare that of the SSD to the ISD, and the ISD was tiny. But what I didn't consider was that the ISD was perhaps way NOT directly underneath the SSD, therefore that measurement was absolutely flawed.

Oh wait, did I just mention one level of my .... on never mind.

And the SDF-3. Is this that megaroad thing. Oh god I forgot.

Senkan Yamato is the WW2 battleship Yamato you see at the bottom of the page. Its practically the same size as Space Cruiser Yamato so you can use that as a substitute.

They NEED some LOGH ships in there. Along with the LOGH battlestations.

And Spaceball 1!

The Executor is my all time favourite ship too. But the side profile doesn't quite do it as much justice as the photo of the model with all the blue lights on.

The SDF looks quite puny next to an ISD.

Godzilla looks quite puny next to the Empire State too. And they were using the 100m Godzilla too.