Lucas Supports Charity With Lego Spaceship

Mr March

It's too bad such a lousy charity had to benefit from this sale, but at least their hearts are in the right place...or their public relations agents, depending upon your level of faith/cynicism :)

Lousy charity? How so?

352710[/snapback]

Its Christian.

352715[/snapback]

LOL. If only life were so simple. I'm afraid charities are like anything else, lousy doesn't care if you're religious, atheist, black, white, smart, or dumb, it'll nail you just the same :(

352736[/snapback]

Ah, I just figured THAT was the problem you had with it. Remember I live in Berkeley, there religion is evil. I personally feel people should worship me, so whatever.

*BIG snip* :)

Ah, I just figured THAT was the problem you had with it.  Remember I live in Berkeley, there religion is evil.  I personally feel people should worship me, so whatever.

353004[/snapback]

A mistaken assumption, no problem. Everything in this thread is under control. Nothing to see here, move along, these aren't the droids you're looking for...

Its Christian.

352715[/snapback]

I don't think a charity having faith in the person of Jesus as god, regardless of whether someone would actually agree or not, automatically makes it a "lousy" one if the less fortunate are helped, and if they're lives are improved, and if they do grow in the ability to support themselves. And if their work is based on Jesus's teaching and example in the way he served and healed society's most shunned and rejected, and it does actually restore lives, then one might consider their faith an actual asset to their work. Then again I'm Christian, so I may be a tad biased.

Mr. March's assertions worry me a whole lot more if they're true, especially having worked with Habitat before.

But its how they use it... Here is how I feel:

Totally destitute people are there for a reason. There is no way to help them.

There have been cases where the destitute have become self-supporting through the work of non-profit organizations. These organizations don't simply offer basic necessities or throw wads of cash at them, but extend education and training so that the poor can better help themselves. Religious counsel and education are also sometimes offered if the organization happens to hold to a certain faith.

Much of third-world poverty is a result of lack of education, certain cultural and environmental conditions, and corrupt governments. Those who suffer in the third world are often the most destitute of destitute. But there's an overwhelming amount of evidence that they aren't actually beyond help, and conditions can and have been improved. U2's Bono is a firm believer of that, is deeply involved in African Aid, and actually seems to be one of the few celebrities who know what they're talking about-- attested to by a staunch Republican Senator no less.

So here we have a celebrity vocally tackling a social issue. He's addressing the poorest of humanity, those supposedly beyond help. And he's a Christian. That should be three strikes against him in certain books... yet he's backed by someone traditionally associated with conservative empowerment, wealth, and helping the middle class over the bottom rungs of society. What's going on here? :blink:

You give a homeless man 10 grand and he dies of an overdose.

You give an educated blue collar guy 10 grand and he may start a business and employ others.

Sure, throwing money at the homeless with abandon isn't much of a solution, because more than likely, they will do just that-- squander it out of not having the habits and skills needed to make that money last. But do we cling to that one thought to excuse ourselves from ever showing compassion, or from working to make things better for them in some other form? Do we selectively tell ourselves easy semi-truths to make it easier not to give a damn? Well, at least I know I'm often guilty of that.

"a wildly expensive way to help small numbers of the non-poor"

For what it's worth, Habitat requires those benefitting from its housing projects to put in their share of work on the house they'll be living in. I have to admit that I've wondered if it's the most efficient way of helping the most amount of people with the least amount of resources, but the families that are helped do qualify as low income families. Should we only help the most destitute? Apparently A1 would disagree. Should we only help those who are low-middling class and might be able to build wealth through something like subsitized home ownership? Obviously Mr. March wouldn't subscribe to that. So where do we meet, or do we just shrug our shoulders to all poverty because we can always come up with a compelling reason not to help one group or another? Or maybe there's room to aid different segments of those needing help, and it's not a all or nothing thing...

EDIT: Err. That's some neat legoing. Although I would have preferred it if it were an OT destroyer. (Weak attempt to stay on topic, I know.) =P

352803[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Sundown is now the new Low-vis-lurker. Your post is too much reading. Gimme the executive summary.

You're trying hard Sundown, but we're staying on topic.  The enthusiasm is appreciated though :)

353000[/snapback]

Heh, wow, that's cynical. :p Not trying to turn the discussion back. Just felt a thorough apology and explanation was needed for the unwelcome and lengthy foray into off-topic-land.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Sundown is now the new Low-vis-lurker. Your post is too much reading. Gimme the executive summary.

I'm not sure how I'm the new low-vis-lurker considering I've been longwinded on just about everything for a whole lot longer. It's just escaped notice all this time.

But okay, as CROM commands:

Something about faith-based charities. Blah, blah. Yay Bono. Blah. Something about hope for the destitute... I break into "We Are the World", and then am viciously tranquilized by Mr March.

Back on topic-- Given that the destroyer is now bidding for 20k+, anyone know how much that many pieces would actually cost a guy? I'm wondering how design and labor is valued in addition to the bare cost of all the pieces, although I know the actual bare materials cost is higher than just the pieces there because certain parts can only be bought in certain kits. And an estimated $2000 for (free) shipping? Nuts. And if the bidding actually goes high enough, can the guy actually make out by writing the donation of the final amount off on his taxes?

it is a shame that alot of the high bidders seem to be 1 or 0 feedbacks, seems like they are going to waste everyones time if you ask me. somehow i think the high bidder will not come through in the end. it is a shame because it is for charity and there heart is in the right place. hopefully someone reliable will be the winner. i wonder if the kit is glued? can you imagine if it tipped over and shattered on the floor into a million pieces :(

i wonder if the kit is glued? can you imagine if it tipped over and shattered on the floor into a million pieces :(

353135[/snapback]

now I want to see the directions for this thing. How many pages would that be?

sweet friggin at-at

e0_1_b.JPG

oh yeah...

ut okay, as CROM commands:

Something about faith-based charities. Blah, blah. Yay Bono. Blah. Something about hope for the destitute... I break into "We Are the World", and then am viciously tranquilized by Mr March.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thats the way to surmise

help feed the homeless... don't neuter/spay your pets

remember... if you live in a state with a bottle/can deposit every bootle/can you throw out the window of your car is potential income for these unfortunate types. And unlike wellfare they actually contribute to society by cleaning it up to make their money. Sometimes your litter can help out in states that don't have a deposit law like florida. littering was the cause of 7+ days of employment for a team of day labor mexicans and a bobcat operator cleaning up the empty beer bottles from the lot they were developing behind my apartment :blink: . Not that I had anything to do with those bottle being there :rolleyes: .

Edited by kanata67

I doubt if it's shill-bidding at all. Most likely, these no-feedback bidders are people who heard about this from news sources or friends and don't normally use eBay, if at all.

Remember, if an auction is for charity, people will pay multiple times for something than what it's worth, simply because it is charity.

it is a shame that alot of the high bidders seem to be 1 or 0 feedbacks, seems like they are going to waste everyones time  if you ask me. somehow i think the high bidder will not come through in the end. it is a shame because it is for charity and there heart is in the right place. hopefully someone reliable will be the winner. i wonder if the kit is glued? can you imagine if it tipped over and shattered on the floor into a million pieces :(

353135[/snapback]

The model was designed and mostly constructed by a guy named Erik Varzegi as the promotional centerpiece of the Lego company's Episode III exhibit. I forget which convention. The model is glued and is suspended on a metal bar that runs nearly the entire length of the model. No special custom pieces were made...it is all stock Lego parts one can find in the various sets. Obviously, not every Lego set has the same parts, and the Lego company has greatly expanded its pallette to somewhere between 4-6 thousand parts. Most parts are designed with multiple uses in mind, and there are many talented builders out there who have used parts brilliantly in ways one would not expect. For example, the exhaust nozzles on the UCS X-Wing Fighter set were made from flower vase pieces designed for one of the girl based themes. On a personal note, to the winner, I laud his altruism, and hope it extends to both the poor to whom his money shall inevitably go, and also to the Lego community who I think would very much enjoy seeing the ship make its rounds to the many Lego conventions held around the world. If the guy can afford 20k for a Lego model, I believe traveling and shipping expenses would seem a paltry sum.

I'd rather get instructions on how to build that thing, order the parts, and spend weeks trying to put it together, only to have it fall on me and crush me to death... Uh wait, I'd rather not have it fall on me and crush me to death, but I would like to sit around putting it together. :D

"Model is built around a steel armature that runs down the spine of the ship and includes a rolling steel display frame."

Hmmmm so i CAN'T fly it around my apartment? i won't beable to pick it up if its attached to a frame! oh noes

its neat and all (impressive actaully) but i have a feeling that its not 100% lego, to many odd angles. either there is a armature with legos attached to it (besides the armature to hold it up i mean) OR that builder is a god amongst 4-12 yearold children.

quite rad, next lets see a SDF kthxbai