X-men 3 Pics: Beast And Angel Revealed

bsu legato

huh? none of the stories have been about logan.. you see it through logan's perspective but they're not about him. Even in X2, the focus was on timmy the mutant and charles, logan and dept H was just background noise and barely explored.

399099[/snapback]

They're about him. Its obvious. The focus in X-2 was about finding out more about Logan. X-3 is going to be about how he takes control of the situation when things get tough. Singer, and (insert writers name here) both stated they were about him.

- C

so... magneto tracking down rogue, using her powers to turn the world's ruling elite into mutants... how's that about logan? And dept H, kidnapping chuck, using timmy the mutant to make chuck kill all the mutants... how's that about logan?

You could just as easily say the first movie is about rogue coming to gripes with who she is and finding acceptance since you know, the movie opens with her and all the characters do what they do because of her.

The second movie spread time around and had some major character arcs for several characters.

The X-men movies are no more "about" Logan than STNG was "about" picard.

In both these movies, logan is just there for the ride. He doesn't save the day, he's not the focal point of the story, he's just the most popular character.

there's a difference between seeing the story through a character's eyes... which is what singer said about Logan, rather than the story being ABOUT a particular character.

It's funny because in the 90's X-men cartoon, Rogue goes to Genosha island to get cured of her mutant powers, but decides to keep them. The only captivating aspect of this movie is just the sentinels. I was actually and honestly expecting this movie to be about Apocalypse because I found his saga's in the TV series very epic and infuriating. Maybe in X-4 we can expect to see him.

who the hell is timmy?

399241[/snapback]

I think he was referring to Gen. Strykers son.

But the focus of the 2 films have been on Wolvie to my dismay. They should've titled them Wolverine and The X-men. They should've left alot of his material for any Wolvie solo films not the X-men films.

so... magneto tracking down rogue, using her powers to turn the world's ruling elite into mutants... how's that about logan? And dept H, kidnapping chuck, using timmy the mutant to make chuck kill all the mutants... how's that about logan?

Stryker's son was named Jason. An obvious homage to Jason Wynegarde aka Mastermind(the mutant with illusion powers who seduced Phoenix into betraying the X-Men).

eugimon has now made it so I will never be able to watch X2 without everytime Jason gives Xavier the evil eye, the sound of a South Park-ish 'TIMMY!' rings through my head...but, actually, that might be an improvement. :D

The movies have been very Logan heavy, much like many of the comics the past 10-15 years. The first was Logan's joining the team and the second was his learning of his history. While the general plot details did revolve around other characters, Logan's story is one of the primary themes of the films.

Poor Scott has gotten the shaft in all the movies. He's relegated to less a role than Storm...heck, less a role than Iceman or Rogue. He's getting bested, knocked out, taken control of, or made fun of most of the series so far. It would almost be a mercy killing to put him out of his misery.

Think of it this way. Ep 4-6 of star wars had luke as the main character but the Star Wars movies weren't about Luke, though he was a main character, they were about Anakin who in most of the movies was not the main character yet he remained the pivotal axis in which all the events and characters revolved around.

X-men is the same way. Rogue and Magneto was the main plot of X-men 1, you saw it through Logan's eyes. X-2 was chuck and timmy and sure, a fair amount of Logan and dept H stuff but in neither of these movies was he important to the plot, you could have pulled him out and replaced him with any other number of characters and not affected the movie.

eugimon,

Alot of people will disagree with that. The Prequels were about Vadir and the orginal was about Luke. To say the entire series was about Vadir is overstating his role within the series and dismissing most of the cast of characters. Yes it's safe to say that he was a pivotal character, but the series wasn't about him.

The X movies have made it a point to focus the story on Logan as the main character with nearly all of the other character & big events being side story's. That's badly appearant when he had was the lead character in the first and most of the second movie was about him.

I gotta agree with Fortress_Maximus that everything feels mashed together. But then again these are 'summer movies' where brain power is not required. ;)

Think of it this way. Ep 4-6 of star wars had luke as the main character but the Star Wars movies weren't about Luke, though he was a main character, they were about Anakin who in most of the movies was not the main character yet he remained the pivotal axis in which all the events and characters revolved around.

X-men is the same way. Rogue and Magneto was the main plot of X-men 1, you saw it through Logan's eyes. X-2 was chuck and timmy and sure, a fair amount of Logan and dept H stuff but in neither of these movies was he important to the plot, you could have pulled him out and replaced him with any other number of characters and not affected the movie.

399408[/snapback]

Eh. To hell with what Lucas says the story was about. 200,000 different things prove he didn't write the prequels until 1997 when the SE made money and he went "ooooooh".

PT - Anakin.

OT - Luke

But that is an entirely different thread.

It wasn't overly blatent in most places that Logan was the main character but;

X-1. He changes his mind more than once and shows he's not so Lone-Wolf and can be a team player. Classic Logan. Rough around the edges until he warms up. He saves the day in the end. Yadda yadda yadda.

X-2 More about his past. The Weapon X program, Stryker yadda yadda. Jason was a subplot underneath learning more about Logan, ending bring another subplot for 3 with the Dark Phoenix Saga just being BAMMED in there.

X-3 (from what I gather) He takes a lot of control over the team when Scott and Professor X get wasted (if that is what happens. Lol). They also mash in he and Jean's little fling even though Scott is MIA.

Even if it is summer fluff it's more than meets the eye.â„¢

- C

PS - Anyone see Iceman in his ice form? So hawt....want to see the movie.

Edited by Chewie

PS - Anyone see Iceman in his ice form? So hawt....want to see the movie.

399415[/snapback]

Yeah I think that 7 minute teaser had him ice up. Collosus is near him when it happens.

I admit, I was doubtful when I heard of it's early troubles, but X3 keeps looking better over time. On the otherhand, Superman has left be feeling bland. Only time will tell, but I'm more excited about X3 than Supes.

vinnie

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw X3 and Thought it was definately the weakest of the 3 X-men films. What a letdown. The story and action seemed rushed, and while some special effects were great (Jeans powers and Mags use of his powers), others seemed like an after thought (Terrible wire work, Collosus in armored form). I think the best parts of the film were Xaviers showdown with Jean, and Juggernauts line to kitty.

BTW Stay around after the end credits. I didn't, and I missed a spoiler.

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

Genre: Live Action Film – Science Fiction Action Adventure

Prior to release, X-Men: The Last Stand was known more for its tumultuous development problems and lack of a director than for the anticipation of what was once the new darling film franchise of the summer blockbuster season. With the departure of series creator Bryan Singer and the decline of an offer to direct by up-and-comer Matthew Vaughn, speculation was high that the final choice of Brett Ratner to direct would spell doom for the X-Men film franchise. While rumors of the third film’s demise may be greatly exaggerated, X-Men: The Last Stand is a semi-successful sequel that doesn’t quite reach the heights of the first two X-Men movies.

Reprising their roles from the first two films, the group of super-human mutants Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), Xavier (Patrick Stewart), Storm (Halle Berry), and Cyclops (James Marsden) struggle onward to protect mutants and humans alike after the tragic loss of their beloved teammate Jean Grey (Famke Janssen). Arriving at Xavier’s mansion, Secretary of Mutant Affairs Dr. Hank McCoy (Kelsey Grammar) gravely informs the X-Men that a drug company has discovered a method to suppress mutation and strip mutants of their super-human powers. Reacting with unbridled defiance, fierce mutant leader Magneto (Ian McKellen) swiftly moves to insure mutant superiority by rescuing the captured Mystique (Rebecca Romijn) and building an army with which to control the source of the cure, a mutation-negating child named Leech (Cameron Bright).

It would only be fair to say that Bryan Singer is missed in this third film. X-Men: The Last Stand does lack the accomplished production design, vibrant cinematography, and polished character driven stories that were strong elements in the two previous efforts directed by Singer. However, Ratner has to be given due credit for creating a better than average sequel. What Last Stand may lack from previous franchise installments it compensates with some risky character choices, a clever story, and some of the best effects-laden action you’re likely to see this year. Stylistically, the film starts off with the now-familiar cerebro marquee and includes the expected prologue before the film pushes into the main story. The characters, both old and new, are setup with near consistent aplomb allowing the story to easily integrate into the current narrative flow of the X-films.

There is a good deal to find entertaining in Ratner’s version of X-Men. The script for Last Stand treats the established characters faithfully, from the development of the infamous Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine love triangle to smaller stories like the relationship between Rogue (Anna Paquin) and Iceman (Shawn Ashmore). The film is strongest when doing action and tension. Fans will enjoy numerous mutant showdowns, from a fire-and-ice battle between Iceman and former X-student-turned-villain Pyro (Aaron Stanford) to a deliciously destructive chase between young mutant Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page) and brawling bruiser Juggernaut (the always enjoyable Vinnie Jones). Where the film falters is with the introduction of one too many mutants as in the case of the charismatic but underused Callisto (Dania Ramirez) to the barely necessary inclusion of Warren Worthington (Ben Foster). The film tries to accomplish a great deal in one movie and while success is often achieved even with a trim 104 minute running time, it is clear that there is more happening onscreen than the film can ultimately support.

There can be little doubt X-Men: The Last Stand indeed stands as the weakest of the three X-Men films, yet the movie does bring more to the franchise than its status as a sequel. For good or ill, director Brett Ratner has put his own stamp on the X-Men film fable, creating a third film that largely meshes well with the two preceding films and features a story with lasting consequences for the cast of characters. While Last Stand is a very bleak X-Men film that leaves the viewer feeling more sombre than satisfied, Ratner and company are to be commended for taking risks that result in a better than expected film delivering the goods a modest serving more than it fails.

Rating: 3 out of 5. A worthy yet flawed close to the first X-Men trilogy, notable for entertaining action and finality over the character and style of the first films.

Well, u didn't miss much - the little snippet - and i mean little, was nothing all that great.

Juggernaut was done very well, way better than what i thought he'd be! Overall the movie was cool, a bit rushed and sombre too, but all in all it was cool.

Wasn't a great movie, by any means, certainly the weakest of the 3. I particularly enjoyed watching it with rabid Marvel fan-people, as the sacreligious nature of the movie had them moaning and groaning the whole time! HAAA-HAAA-HAAAA!!!

I gotta' say though, Ellen Page/Kitty Pryde was mighty sweet and delicious-I'd like to unleash my inner mutant on her... :wacko:

Edited by myk

Ugh. I really hated that film. Not because of some fanboyish change to how the characters were from the comics (I majored in film, that kind of thing is almost inevitable when adapting from another medium), but because it was badly written, badly directed and acted.

*Minor spoiler if you haven't seen the trailer, commercials, or any other advertisements* The biggest single sticking point in my mind was that after Magneto flies the Golden Gate bridge to Alcatraz in broad daylight, they make a quick cut to the president watching this in his generic movie bunker, he says "God help us" and then the cut back to San Francisco and it's suddenly nighttime! WTF!? You've also got characters bouncing around the country (from upstate New York to Canada to what-looks-like-the-Pacific-Northwest to San Francisco) in a matter of hours, and a major character doesn't even get any lines until the middle of the second act (and has a few seconds of screen-time before this). *end of spoilers sorta*

Considering how well constructed the first two films were it just made the armature hour crap in this film that much more glaring. At least we got to see Rebecah Romijn neckid.

Edited by Nied

Mm-hm! Becky looked nice with that black hair/fair complexion, too bad that's all we really see of that.

I can't quite put my finger on it, probably because I couldn't care less, but this movie just didn't live up to the expectations and potential set up by the previous films. I don't know...

First off Thanks to both myk and Golden Arms for the PM's about the scene after the credits! You guys rock.

And I noticed the Nightime scene jump as well..... rookie mistake.

And Collosus needed more screen time!!!!! (not to mention a russian accent)

Edited by DeeLux

402674[/snapback]

Extremely rookie mistake. Basic continuity like that is stuff you learn in Film 1. Stuff like this is why I decided to not pursue a career in film, the quality of your previous work (or even the box office return of said work) has next to nothing to do with whether or not you're successful. Just this year you have two excellent examples: the screenwriter for the Davinci Code (which is supposed to be Sony's big moneymaker this summer) also wrote blockbusters like Batman & Robin, Lost in Space, and I Robot, and the X-men 3 script got handed to a guy who's total output at the time consisted of xXx: State of the Union (which barely made back a quarter of it's budget). Everyone has their own little pet reasons why Hollywood is doing so badly (libruls, DVDs, piracy) but the truth is very simple: No one is buying tickets because the movies are horrible, and the movies are horrible because studio execs are basing their talent decisions on who's the most connected rather than who can do the best job.

Edited by Nied

402674[/snapback]

Extremely rookie mistake. Basic continuity like that is stuff you learn in Film 1. Stuff like this is why I decided to not pursue a career in film, the quality of your previous work (or even the box office return of said work) has next to nothing to do with whether or not you're successful. Just this year you have two excellent examples: the screenwriter for the Davinci Code (which is supposed to be Sony's big moneymaker this summer) also wrote blockbusters like Batman & Robin, Lost in Space, and I Robot, and the X-men three script got handed to a guy who's total output at the time consisted of xXx: State of the Union (which barely made back a quarter of it's budget). Everyone has their own little pet reasons Hollywood is doing so badly (libruls, DVDs, piracy) but the truth is very simple: No one is buying tickets because the movies are horrible, and the movies are horrible because studio execs are basing their talent decisions on who's the most connected rather than who can do the best job.

402687[/snapback]

I kinda let the daytime to nighttime misshap go b/c some others pointed out on another thread that the daytime can change rather rapidly in San fran. I had a larger problem with Angel at the end of the film. He isn't shown aboard the X-jet and He suddendly pops up at Alcatraz. WTF ;) I would be impossibble for him to fly from upstate NY to San Fran in the alloted time in the film. The effects for Collosus were terrible. He looked like someone covered him in aluminum foil.

Since my poor thread fell off...

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

Genre: Live Action Film – Science Fiction Action Adventure

Prior to release, X-Men: The Last Stand was known more for its tumultuous development problems and lack of a director than for the anticipation of what was once the new darling film franchise of the summer blockbuster season. With the departure of series creator Bryan Singer and the decline of an offer to direct by up-and-comer Matthew Vaughn, speculation was high that the final choice of Brett Ratner to direct would spell doom for the X-Men film franchise. While rumors of the third film’s demise may be greatly exaggerated, X-Men: The Last Stand is a semi-successful sequel that doesn’t quite reach the heights of the first two X-Men movies.

Reprising their roles from the first two films, the group of super-human mutants Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), Xavier (Patrick Stewart), Storm (Halle Berry), and Cyclops (James Marsden) struggle onward to protect mutants and humans alike after the tragic loss of their beloved teammate Jean Grey (Famke Janssen). Arriving at Xavier’s mansion, Secretary of Mutant Affairs Dr. Hank McCoy (Kelsey Grammar) gravely informs the X-Men that a drug company has discovered a method to suppress mutation and strip mutants of their super-human powers. Reacting with unbridled defiance, fierce mutant leader Magneto (Ian McKellen) swiftly moves to insure mutant superiority by rescuing the captured Mystique (Rebecca Romijn) and building an army with which to control the source of the cure, a mutation-negating child named Leech (Cameron Bright).

It would only be fair to say that Bryan Singer is missed in this third film. X-Men: The Last Stand does lack the accomplished production design, vibrant cinematography, and polished character driven stories that were strong elements in the two previous efforts directed by Singer. However, Ratner has to be given due credit for creating a better than average sequel. What Last Stand may lack from previous franchise installments it compensates with some risky character choices, a clever story, and some of the best effects-laden action you’re likely to see this year. Stylistically, the film starts off with the now-familiar cerebro marquee and includes the expected prologue before the film pushes into the main story. The characters, both old and new, are setup with near consistent aplomb allowing the story to easily integrate into the current narrative flow of the X-films.

There is a good deal to find entertaining in Ratner’s version of X-Men. The script for Last Stand treats the established characters faithfully, from the development of the infamous Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine love triangle to smaller stories like the relationship between Rogue (Anna Paquin) and Iceman (Shawn Ashmore). The film is strongest when doing action and tension. Fans will enjoy numerous mutant showdowns, from a fire-and-ice battle between Iceman and former X-student-turned-villain Pyro (Aaron Stanford) to a deliciously destructive chase between young mutant Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page) and brawling bruiser Juggernaut (the always enjoyable Vinnie Jones). Where the film falters is with the introduction of one too many mutants as in the case of the charismatic but underused Callisto (Dania Ramirez) to the barely necessary inclusion of Warren Worthington (Ben Foster). The film tries to accomplish a great deal in one movie and while success is often achieved even with a trim 104 minute running time, it is clear that there is more happening onscreen than the film can ultimately support.

There can be little doubt X-Men: The Last Stand indeed stands as the weakest of the three X-Men films, yet the movie does bring more to the franchise than its status as a sequel. For good or ill, director Brett Ratner has put his own stamp on the X-Men film fable, creating a third film that largely meshes well with the two preceding films and features a story with lasting consequences for the cast of characters. While Last Stand is a very bleak X-Men film that leaves the viewer feeling more sombre than satisfied, Ratner and company are to be commended for taking risks that result in a better than expected film delivering the goods a modest serving more than it fails.

Rating: 3 out of 5. A worthy yet flawed close to the first X-Men trilogy, notable for entertaining action and finality over the character and style of the first films.

I kinda let the daytime to nighttime misshap go b/c some others pointed out on another thread that the daytime can change rather rapidly in San fran.  I had a larger problem with Angel at the end of the film.  He isn't shown aboard the X-jet and He suddendly pops up at Alcatraz.  WTF ;)  I would be impossibble for him to fly from upstate NY to San Fran in the alloted time in the film.  The effects for Collosus were terrible.  He looked like someone covered him in aluminum foil.

402694[/snapback]

Note the location listed in my profile. That doesn't happen.

I kinda let the daytime to nighttime misshap go b/c some others pointed out on another thread that the daytime can change rather rapidly in San fran.  I had a larger problem with Angel at the end of the film.  He isn't shown aboard the X-jet and He suddendly pops up at Alcatraz.  WTF ;)   I would be impossibble for him to fly from upstate NY to San Fran in the alloted time in the film.  The effects for Collosus were terrible.  He looked like someone covered him in aluminum foil.

402694[/snapback]

Note the location listed in my profile. That doesn't happen.

402697[/snapback]

And knowing is half the battle. I'll take your word on it. I've never been to Cali. Another reason to throw Brett Ratner under the bus. :p

BTW, good review Mr March. I would've given the film a 2.5 rating out of five. I think it worked well in some areas, but fell completely flat in others.