Best Gaming Platform of All-Time

areaseven

Best Gaming Platform of All-Time  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Best Gaming Platform of All-Time

• Microsoft XBOX
    • Nintendo Entertainment System (Family Computer)
    • Nintendo Super NES (Super Famicom)
    • Nintendo GameCube
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Sega Genesis (MegaDrive)
    • Sega Saturn
    • SNK Neo-Geo
    • Sony PlayStation/PlayStation 2
    • Other (Please Specify)

SNES. Man you had to love the Mega Man and Mega Man X games. And Mario Kart was awesome, and I loved Super Mario RPG. Star Fox was cool. When you think about it, the PS2 is what the SNES was.

I did love, and still do love, Megaman! So should I point out that Megaman X7 is coming out on PS2 in October, and a Megaman Anniversary Collection with Megaman 1-8 is coming out for PS2 and Gamecube in February? Or that a second Megaman X collection is rumored to be works as well?

I'd have to say the NES, SNES and N64 hold the most regard for me, since I spent the most time on them. damn NES with it's cramp-inducing controllers...

However, the best (and only unfortunately) I've owned was the Game Gear and my Nomad now. They are great.

Currently, however, I have to say the PS2. Yes, probably because I own one. But also because it's games seem the strongest compared to any others, probably because there's tons of support and software for it.

Vostok 7

The best one has to be the first one. The NES, without it none of the stuff we have now would come about. Like Mario, Final Fantasy, and of course the legendary Contra code:

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

The first one definately should get credit for helping the industry get where it is today. But that doesn't necessarily make it the best. Go back and play some of those old NES games. The only ones that I can really still play today are Mario, Zelda, and Megaman. Also, there was an insane number of beat 'em ups back then...

Saying that the first is always the best is like saying that you'd rather drive a Model-T everyday instead of *insert car of choice, mine's a Mitsubishi 3000GT*. Or that you prefer zeppelins to air liners for your trans atlantic flights. Or maybe you'd prefer to do your computer stuff on an Apple ][? I know that I certainly prefer my Pentium 4 VAIO. Sure all of those things were necessary first steps to get where we are today, but I'll definately take the technology of today!

For those of you who picked the original NES or the SNES, I applaud you... they were excellent systems back in the day... but I'd also say that your memory is clouded by nostalgia. I've played both consoles recently, and there are very few games on the NES that are still fun.

You'll be saying the same thing about the PS2 in 10 years, I guarantee it. Very few games stand the test of time. This is why I said this poll won't work. You just can't remember the "amount of fun" you had with your SNES, NES, or Genesis that long ago. You CAN remember how much fun you just had with a PS2 game 6 weeks ago.

You'll be saying the same thing about the PS2 in 10 years, I guarantee it. Very few games stand the test of time. This is why I said this poll won't work. You just can't remember the "amount of fun" you had with your SNES, NES, or Genesis that long ago. You CAN remember how much fun you just had with a PS2 game 6 weeks ago.

*agrees with SuperO 110% *

It could almost be called the "Star Wars" effect. We look back on this stuff from our childhoods and think "Man, they just don't make games/movies like that anymore" but when you look at it objectively, they aren't always as great as you remember them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play "Mission X" on my antique Intellivision. :D

For those of you who picked the original NES or the SNES, I applaud you... they were excellent systems back in the day... but I'd also say that your memory is clouded by nostalgia.

Err... no. Super Mario World is better then most platformers we have today. Chrono Trigger is better then most RPGs we have today. Super Contra is better then most action shooters we have today. Zelda: A link to the past is better then most action adventures we have today.

Unlike 3D graphics.... 2D graphics still hold their own now a days. Its not about nostalgia, I have owned every major console, with the exception of the Sega Mega Drive, and I can say.... the SNES is not about nostalgia... its fact, the SNES has better games then what we have today. I have a mint condition SNES that I play everyday. Very few PS2 games are as fun as Actriser, Super Adventure Island 2, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, Yoshis Island, Earthbound.... the list goes on.

NOOOOOOO!!!

Damn it ! I thought this was the Worst Gaming platform Thread and voted for the XBox (this is not joke), just in time to realise it was the Best Gaming Platform....I wasted my vote ...what a shame :angry:

Anyway I'll have to clarify my vote , which definitively goes towards the SNES , no other platform has more variety of games , more gameplay value , more enjoyable multiplayer games and furthermore , no other platform has hosted so many successful games than the SNES.

the NES was good , but in its age it had as much competition as todays market , the SNES in the other hand was the king , yes , Sega was big but not big enough, the SNES made 2D graphics reach its peak (until the GBA came out ;) )

The Playstation comes closely in second place , it opened (although through , sometimes, ilegal means ) the door for japanese (particularly anime-based)games to be released in the West , which was the main reason I bought one.

It's funny but I never owned a SNES in my life , mostly because I always went to my mate's house to play his games :lol: , I whish I had bought one but now that the GBA is out I don't need to and better yet , I can take it everywhere B)

I picked other, so I'll go with PC. Best graphics, mods, game play, multiplayer, selection, upgradable, compatible, support, availability, sound, and did I mention graphics?

I always wondered, which was bigger in US, Genesis or supernintendo? as in who sold more games and consoles?

And who was bigger in Japan?

I always tought in the US it was more of a tie.

In the US they were evenly matched.... in Japan the SNES was ahead simply because it had the largest number of RPGs and anime based games.

I say N64 for one reason only: Zelda, The Ocarina of Time. that is the best game ever.

Then what you are saying is that the GC is in fact the best console ever.... because OoT was a free game for it. B)

For those of you who picked the original NES or the SNES, I applaud you... they were excellent systems back in the day... but I'd also say that your memory is clouded by nostalgia.  I've played both consoles recently, and there are very few games on the NES that are still fun.

Absolutely. And that's why, if this poll came up again 10 years from now, I'd have to pick whatever's current then.

For those of you who picked the original NES or the SNES, I applaud you... they were excellent systems back in the day... but I'd also say that your memory is clouded by nostalgia.

Err... no. Super Mario World is better then most platformers we have today. Chrono Trigger is better then most RPGs we have today. Super Contra is better then most action shooters we have today. Zelda: A link to the past is better then most action adventures we have today.

Unlike 3D graphics.... 2D graphics still hold their own now a days. Its not about nostalgia, I have owned every major console, with the exception of the Sega Mega Drive, and I can say.... the SNES is not about nostalgia... its fact, the SNES has better games then what we have today. I have a mint condition SNES that I play everyday. Very few PS2 games are as fun as Actriser, Super Adventure Island 2, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, Yoshis Island, Earthbound.... the list goes on.

I tried playing Super Contra yesterday, and it wasn't really as fun as I remember. And Actraiser was never fun.

Zelda, Mario, and Chrono Trigger are indeed still fun... but Mario and Zelda you can play on the GBA, and CT on the PlayStation. Why not pick one of those instead of the SNES?

In fact, aside from Battletoads and Double Dragon, TMNT: Turtles in Time, and the Megaman games, you named all the SNES games that are still fun today.

Best platform? In general, computers. From the Vic 20, Commodore 64 and Amigas to the Atari 400/800 & ST's to PC's with 3d cards. Computers have always been great gaming platforms. You can always get a joystick for it and the keyboard/mouse combo is the best option for certain types of games.

These days, the PC is it. I still like consoles but, honestly, I don't put them to use much anymore. If anything, I use my GBA more than my PS2 or GC these days. It's more flexible and functional for me.

I have to go with my 2d best friend. The Neo-Geo. I still play my Neo more than most of my Next gen stuff. I can play Metal Slug till the cows come home and have VS batlles in KOF98,Samurai Shodown II,and Garou all night with my friends.

I tried playing Super Contra yesterday, and it wasn't really as fun as I remember. And Actraiser was never fun.

Zelda, Mario, and Chrono Trigger are indeed still fun... but Mario and Zelda you can play on the GBA, and CT on the PlayStation. Why not pick one of those instead of the SNES?

In fact, aside from Battletoads and Double Dragon, TMNT: Turtles in Time, and the Megaman games, you named all the SNES games that are still fun today.

Actraiser was never fun? Do you have any idea what you are saying? Have you played it extensively enough? Actraiser was one of the gems of 16bit gaming... I still can't believe it was almost a launch title. Too bad Enix has lost criativity.

Super Contra is better then Contra: Shattered Soldiers for the PS2, and then 2 blasphemies that shall not be named for the PSX.

Have you played CT for the PSX? If you indeed have... you should be aware enough to not even mention it. No matter if they are ports... truth is... they are still SNES games. It doesn't matter if you are emulating the game on a PC or playing a port... its a SNES game period, the fact that you can play the game on a different system doesn't change where it came from.

Err... no... I can name quite a few more fun SNES games if you want. Tales of Phantasia, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 (the 3rd one.... Nintendo wasn't even trying anymore), the SNES version of TMNT: Tournament Fighters, Secret of Evermore, the 2 Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana), Terranigma, FF5 and 6, the several Dragon Quest games, the 2 Breath of Fire games, Weapon Masters (or whatever they were called), Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie, Front Mission, Assault Suits Valken (known as Cybernator in the US), Metal Warrior, the original Star Fox, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Super Star Wars (ANH only).... do I really need to go on? <_<

And IMO.... I much rather play Zelda on the SNES, then play the GBA version with the little annoying grunts everytime I have to use the sword. <_<

The Super Nintendo.

I've played more games than I could count since I first picked up an Atari 2600 joystick back in 1981. Since then I've been wowed at how far gaming has advanced in terms of game play and how technology has advanced the graphics.

Yet out of all the consoles I've touched from the Atari 2600 (ALL of them except the Atari handheld Lynx) to the 3 top consoles of today, the era that stands out best in my mind is the Super Famicom/ Nintendo era. Many of it's games have withstood the test of time depsite the grahpics long being out dated. Sure, I've played some great game since then on all the major and "favored" consoles since then but the SNES is still IT for me. The fact the GBA is being made a portable SNES is pure bliss for me (except for the fact they have dumbed down a few great games like Breath of Fire 1, 2 and Zelda: Link to the Past).

It's not nostalgia but the fact the SFC/SNES had many great titles for it. So great some are still being rereleased today. Some of Square's best titles on the PSone/PSX are SFC/SNES titles. It's a shame some great ones like Seiken Densetsu 3, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean and Terranigma never got an official releases here outside of emus. Sure the PSX and PS2 have it's share of great games that have come out in recent years but not at the sheer volumes the SFC/SNES had. Whether it was racing, RPGs, strategy, sims, shooters or good old fashioned platformers it hardly ever disappointed. It even managed to have a couple of first gen first person shooters and even "fake" 3D.

There's no denying the Super Famicom. Nintendo was a top notch console and still leaves some of later consoles after it in pure shame by comparison. IMO, it's the greatest console of all time.

EDIT: Guess where the Fighting Game genre as we know it today started.... The SUper Famicom. Nintendo!!!!

BTW anybody know where I can get a Vectrex console super cheap? That I want back for pure nostaliga's sake.

Edited by Jemstone

I say N64 for one reason only: Zelda, The Ocarina of Time. that is the best game ever.

Then what you are saying is that the GC is in fact the best console ever.... because OoT was a free game for it. B)

okay. i'll go ahead and agree with that as well. Plus, the Wind Waker rocked as well. B)

For those of you who picked the original NES or the SNES, I applaud you... they were excellent systems back in the day... but I'd also say that your memory is clouded by nostalgia. I've played both consoles recently, and there are very few games on the NES that are still fun. The SNES does a little bit better, except so many of it's best games have already been ported to the GBA. If you picked SNES, then, you might as well have picked GBA, because at least the GBA also has Megaman Zero and Castlevania.

HA! Speak for yourself, Jr. :p

Actually, I remember very well what I enjoyed during my entire 22 year gaming history. Including a strange weekend in 1989 with my NES when my younger sister (who turned 21 this Sat) had a tough time with SMB 2. I think you are just clouded by new graphics and limited memory.

Here's some of the games that a few friends and I came up. These are games that really held our interest for months at a time.

-Zelda III

-Castlevania IV

-Super Mario World

-Super Ghouls N Ghosts

-Secret of Mana

-Final Fantasy VI

-Earthbound

-Yoshi's Island

-Super Bomberman

-Super Metroid

-Pilotwings

-Chrono Trigger

-Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Super NES being trounced by the PS2? Blasphemy. Damn kids.

lol the PS1/PS2 should be seperate. I voted for the PS one and I'm sure I'm older than you. But if I had a choose between the PS2 and SNES, I'd choose the SNES. SNES was fun. So was the PS One. The PS2 overall is annoying. The PS2 has too many garbage games vs good ones.

Yeah, that PSP is gonna be a waste of money just like that N-Gage. I heard that you have to go through a lot of steps to switch to another game using the N-Gage. And the PSP...why does Sony have to put a DVD player in everything, what kind of portable gaming platform is that?! It'll be as portable as the Virutal Boy! GBA will remain the number one handheld without a question. When I go for a console or handheld I'm not looking for something that has a DVD player or all this other crap. Nintendo is known for its simplicity too. Save game, power off, remove cartridge or disc like so and vice versa and power on. I don't know about you guys, but I like a simple product, not a complex one. Nintendo makes consoles for games, not for movies or telecommunications. Nintendo will never die! Viva Nintendo!

P.S. I think "N-Gage" would have been a cool name for Nintendo's next console.

One of the things that sold me on the PS2 was the "complexity."

I'd MUCH rather spend $200 on a console that's backwards compatible, plus has the features that the PS2 does like playing DVDs (without (formerly) expensive attachments ala Xbox) and stuff, rather than $100 or $150 for a console that does nothing but play games... reletively uninteresting ones (to me) at that.

Vostok 7

I don't understand why some ppl hype the N-Gage. Is it really that cool to have a cell phone that plays games?

That why I hate the pathway video-games are taking now a days.... I want a system that plays games, not a system that doubles as a microwave oven, swiss army knife, telephone, airplane and car. <_<