1. 1. Worst Gaming Platform Ever Made

• Atari 2600
    • Atari Jaguar
    • Nintendo Virtual Boy
    • Sega 32X
    • Sega CD
    • SNK Neo-Geo CD
    • Other (Please Specify)

For the record the Virtual Boy did not really damage people's eyesight... just little kids. The VB shipped from the factory with this giant red warning on the box:

!WARNING: This product MUST NOT be used by children under the age of seven (7) years.

Artificial stereo vision displays may not be safe for such children and may cause serious, permanent damage to their vision.

not_under_7_years.jpg

As I said before, most parents see the words "permanent", "damage" and "vision" on a toy package and they tend to keep walking down the isle.

Funny... when they read "Mature content", "Graphic violence", "blood and gore" , and a big M with 17+ on the cover... they still get their kids the game.

Now when crap happens.... the little black box is the first to be blamed. <_<

But Abombz, that only applies to little kids. It's easy for teens to get M-rated games. I don't have many since I don't need blood and gore to get my kicks. Shooting Nazis that don't bleed is a big enough kick for me. B) But I've seen the M-rated logo being abused of, I have Ghost Recon and it's rated M on the basis that the game has "Blood and Gore Violence." That's crap! The neo-Commies are still in one piece when I blow them away with a fat 30mm grenade! And they don't get dismembered when you shoot at them with a .50 caliber machine gun or sniper rifle. It's just violent with puddles of blood! Damn conservatives! I like that line that Vin Diesle says in XxX at the opening chase. something about games being the only education that kids have. And it's sorta true, Medal of Honor filled me in on some of the stuff I didn't want to read up in the history books. B) I love edutainment! :unsure:

Funny... when they read "Mature content", "Graphic violence", "blood and gore" , and a big M with 17+ on the cover... they still get their kids the game.

Now when crap happens.... the little black box is the first to be blamed. <_<

I agree with you there. Perhaps if the ratings and warning were printed as big and bold as the VB disclaimer parents might get the drift.

Then again we are talking about parents who say "my child knows the difference between right and wrong, my child is a little genius"... while somewhere in the background little Timmy is eating paste and swinging the cat around over his head like a flail.

I find it funny that NO ONE mentioned the FM Towns Marty, The Konix system, nor Tiger's Portable ystem

Actually, I have an FM-Towns Marty system. It was pretty cool for it's time, however games were very hard to get. Had to go by an import shop which was very costly. I also remember the Konix system and Tiger's Game.com handheld.

I've been collecting game systems domestic and import since vectrex/odyssey/intellivision/ataris/etc. A lot of these so called "worst" systems people list here actually have a "handfull of good" games imho... but that's either because it's just my opinion or people don't know what was available for that particular platform.

Probably the biggest dissapointment in my opinion was the SuperGrafx and NEC PC-FX. Both systems had enormous potential in their day however hand EXTREMELY limited software. The SuperGrafx only had about 5 games released for it. The only ones I cared for were 1941 and Ghouls n Ghosts. The only thing that made it somewhat useful beyond that was that it played standard PC Engine Hucards. The PC-FX mostly had hentai/rpgs. Very few games for people who couldn't read kanji.

Not too far behind I'd list the Pippin. Had a few edutainment games and a poor gundam game or so.

However, I'd have to give some props to the Mega-CD (segaCD), any Neo Geo, Atari Lynx, Jaguar and Amiga CD32 (I'm an old skool amiga user). Japan had great games for Mega CD. It's just that here in America that we have this FMV CRAP for hicks. Neo CD (once loaded, hehe) ran games great and with enhanced sound, however yeah load time sucks. But hey, you want a neo geo game for cheap? That's what you get. At least you can play burned neo cd games. Atari Lynx had great multiplayer connect options, arcade true interpretation of ninja gaiden, xenophobe (old arcade favs). Jaguar had this game I used to play quite a bit.. power drive rally (reminded me of this game on amiga called super cars). Amiga CD32 was a quick and easy way to play "amiga style" games w/o having to lug out the old computer and monitor.

Actually, I have an FM-Towns Marty system. It was pretty cool for it's time, however games were very hard to get. Had to go by an import shop which was very costly. I also remember the Konix system and Tiger's Game.com handheld.

OMG! Someone has the FM-Towns Marty! I was thinking of that console when posting here, but I just couldn't remember the name. Awesome stuff, man. I always wanted to check out that system. You wouldn't happen to have any pics, would you? Also, did WonderDog ever get ported to that system? Just wondering if it had any improvements over the Sega version.

But Abombz, that only applies to little kids. It's easy for teens to get M-rated games. I don't have many since I don't need blood and gore to get my kicks. Shooting Nazis that don't bleed is a big enough kick for me. B) But I've seen the M-rated logo being abused of, I have Ghost Recon and it's rated M on the basis that the game has "Blood and Gore Violence." That's crap! The neo-Commies are still in one piece when I blow them away with a fat 30mm grenade! And they don't get dismembered when you shoot at them with a .50 caliber machine gun or sniper rifle. It's just violent with puddles of blood! Damn conservatives! I like that line that Vin Diesle says in XxX at the opening chase. something about games being the only education that kids have. And it's sorta true, Medal of Honor filled me in on some of the stuff I didn't want to read up in the history books. B) I love edutainment! :unsure:

I simply find it amazing.... that underage kids are always the first one to buy M rated games. Worst... they usually get them with their parents. <_<

Urban legend? How many people do you know who played a Virtual Boy for over 20 minutes and did not complain of a head ache, trouble focusing their eyes, or simply had a very hard time seeing afterwards?

*raises his hand* Me, for starters.

If you want a much more likely and proven loss of eyesight you have to look no further than the electronic gizmo you're currently sitting in front of.

Heh, I was gonna reply but JsArclight beat me with the wraning label I was gonna post.

I don't think the Virtual Boy was the worst system because it at least had a few decent games. In fact many dead consoles like the Wonderswan handheld, the Nuon, and even the 3DO can at least boast about a decent lirbary even if it's just a handful of games. The Philips CD-i not only was a lame duck and rightfully dead it had ZERO decent games. (Note decent. Not even good)

Urban legend? How many people do you know who played a Virtual Boy for over 20 minutes and did not complain of a head ache, trouble focusing their eyes, or simply had a very hard time seeing afterwards?

*raises his hand* Me, for starters.

If you want a much more likely and proven loss of eyesight you have to look no further than the electronic gizmo you're currently sitting in front of.

Heh, I was gonna reply but JsArclight beat me with the wraning label I was gonna post.

I don't think the Virtual Boy was the worst system because it at least had a few decent games. In fact many dead consoles like the Wonderswan handheld, the Nuon, and even the 3DO can at least boast about a decent lirbary even if it's just a handful of games. The Philips CD-i not only was a lame duck and rightfully dead it had ZERO decent games. (Note decent. Not even good)

Heck... the CD-i games weren't even good for a game of frisbee. <_<

My vote for newer "worst" gaming platforms: the Nuon and the upcoming Phantom.

Actually, you guys might not have heard this, but there might not be a Phantom. Apparently, the guy in charge at Infinium Labs has been the head of 7 or 8 companies in the past 5 years that have gone bankrupt after taking a ton of money from investors. Add that to the fact that the Phantom is supposed to start selling in October, but no one has actually seen it... all those pictures of the Phantom are still CGI mock-ups... and the speculation is that at some point, Infinium Labs will declare bankruptcy, not a single Phantom will have been delivered, and the guy behind Infinium will go on to steal more investor money and put another company out of business.

I always thought the phantom was a no go.

Add that to the fact that the Phantom is supposed to start selling in October, but no one has actually seen it... all those pictures of the Phantom are still CGI mock-ups...

Perhaps that's why it was called the "Phantom"? :lol:

I always thought the phantom was a no go.
Add that to the fact that the Phantom is supposed to start selling in October, but no one has actually seen it... all those pictures of the Phantom are still CGI mock-ups...

Perhaps that's why it was called the "Phantom"? :lol:

Phantom.... the new name for vaporware. :lol:

I voted "other". Coming from the other side of the pond, there were a number of attempts by European companies to cash-in - and that is the only word for it, because there is no way in Hell these guys were going to beat the likes of Sega and Nintendo - on the 16-bit console craze.

I can't remember them all, but among these ill-starred and doomed attempts were consoles from Commodore ( based on Amiga hardware, I think ) and Amstrad ( which if memory serves, bizarrely enough, was based on their CPC-464 computer hardware - a fairly good computer in its day, but completely out of its depth pitched as a console against the competition... )

There was also a handheld gaming unit made by a company more famous for its joysticks than its technological prowess; and oh, do the Sega VMU and Sony PDA count? :lol:

I voted "other". Coming from the other side of the pond, there were a number of attempts by European companies to cash-in - and that is the only word for it, because there is no way in Hell these guys were going to beat the likes of Sega and Nintendo - on the 16-bit console craze.

I can't remember them all, but among these ill-starred and doomed attempts were consoles from Commodore ( based on Amiga hardware, I think ) and Amstrad ( which if memory serves, bizarrely enough, was based on their CPC-464 computer hardware - a fairly good computer in its day, but completely out of its depth pitched as a console against the competition... )

There was also a handheld gaming unit made by a company more famous for its joysticks than its technological prowess; and oh, do the Sega VMU and Sony PDA count? :lol:

If we're talking about Europe, let's not forget the failed Konix Multi-system that was being hyped in one of the video game mags years ago but never made it to production.

There was this... I think Russian video game system (or at least it was popular) with a large number of games ported to it. Used to have an emulator for it too.

In the states we had that failed attempt at a Linux-based game machine (basically the same idea as the X-box but with Linux instead of Windows for the underlying OS.

In Asia, I recall a Korean company putting out a handheld.

There's also the Wonderswan in Japan. Not sure how well that did really. It did have some FF games for it, though.

If we're talking about Europe, let's not forget the failed Konix Multi-system that was being hyped in one of the video game mags years ago but never made it to production.

Konix was made by a Taiwanese company in the early 90's. During the time when the PC Engine and SFC ruled the industry.

In Asia, I recall a Korean company putting out a handheld.

That would be the GamePark 32. It came out months before Nintendo released the SP. It's only saving grace was that it is an MP3 player, with a crappy interface that's been perfected by N-Gage.

There's also the Wonderswan in Japan.  Not sure how well that did really.  It did have some FF games for it, though.

WS Did pretty decently in Japan. Decent to the point that it was outselling the Game Boy Color a couple weeks at a time. Mattel was rumored to be REALLY interested in releasing the WS to the west. Until Nintendo announced the GBA.

I'm changing my vote to the N-Gage.  Even though it isn't even out yet  :p

LOL... that add is almost as bad as the "Yoda man" add for the SW Eps 2 DVD. :lol:

Whoever this guy in it is..... he looks like a mutant beast creature. :blink:

Is it just me or is the guy in that ad either trying to break the thing and failing... or it looks like hes playing his nice little game phone while blowing one massive fart on his skateboard.

Rad... to the next level... diggity... <_< At least the Sidekick is trying to hide it's obvious "youth targeting"...

I'm changing my vote to the N-Gage.  Even though it isn't even out yet  :p

LOL... that add is almost as bad as the "Yoda man" add for the SW Eps 2 DVD. :lol:

Whoever this guy in it is..... he looks like a mutant beast creature. :blink:

Nah... its just that the N-Gage is so bad... that the guy is in excrusiating pain. <_< :p

I too put my vote for other. The N-Gage. Personally I think it will suck. It's a phone and a gaming system... Geez... More things to break... Not to mention I think you have to sign up for the celular aspect in order to even play the system... Could be wrong though.

I too put my vote for other. The N-Gage. Personally I think it will suck. It's a phone and a gaming system... Geez... More things to break... Not to mention I think you have to sign up for the celular aspect in order to even play the system... Could be wrong though.

Oh yeah... you forgot to mention it is more expensive then every single console out there. <_<

I too put my vote for other.  The N-Gage.  Personally I think it will suck.  It's a phone and a gaming system...  Geez...  More things to break...  Not to mention I think you have to sign up for the celular aspect in order to even play the system...  Could be wrong though.

Oh yeah... you forgot to mention it is more expensive then every single console out there. <_<

Thanks!

It's also much more expensive than any other console out there! :lol:

Personally I love my GBA, dark screen and all. Nothing a little 100 watt light bulb can't fix.

Another somewhat lousy console would have to be the Game Gear. Eats batteries like crazy, and can't be played in well lit situations. Both due to the nice bright backlit screen.

However, the Game Gear has some excellent titles for it.

Another somewhat lousy console would have to be the Game Gear. Eats batteries like crazy, and can't be played in well lit situations. Both due to the nice bright backlit screen.

However, the Game Gear has some excellent titles for it.

Don't you be dissin' my Game Gear boy!!! Oh.... you didn't, really.

Vostok 7

Don't you be dissin' my Game Gear boy!!! Oh.... you didn't, really.

Out of all the non-Nintendo handhelds I seen over here, the Game Gear was the best one I liked and I was willing to get one but the price tag kept my parents from buying me one.

What got me interested in wanting one was the TV Tuner add-on and it was cheaper ($CND 200 vs. TurboExpress' $CND 500). I got upset when the tuner was pulled out of the market after the first year and that the tuner is only compatable with first-generation Game Gears.

I did tried out a GG at a demo display, playing Sonic 2 (where I also found a demo display of the Genesis' Activator with Eternal Champions to play). I enjoyed it even though it got blurry at times and dust accumulating within the clear frame cover for the screen.

Had Sega put in more games and did some hardware upgrades (improved screen, lower battery power, etc.), it would have lasted beyond 1997 (the year GG stopped) and be contender against the GBC.

There was one time someone was selling a white Game Gear (Japan-only) with a TV tuner, lots of accessories (AC adaptor, link cable, etc.) and its special briefcase to carry them with padded foam interior. It was selling for $CND 150 back then but it was already sold by the time I got around to buy it. :(

Bwaaaahahahahahaha I remember the Virtual Boy. I think I wanted one. :lol:

I have a Game Gear... I love it. I still think it's as good as the GBA... Except for battery life <_<

I just bought a Nomad recently. :lol: Anyone have Genesis games they wanna dump?

Vostok 7

Hey Vostok

What games are you looking for? I may have some I need to get rid of. An old co-worker gave me a bunch of games.

Capt'n of the SDF-1:

Hey, you want a GG? I've been thinking about selling mine. Has like a ton of games... no neat adapters or anything though (always wanted the genesis game adapter).

Bigkid:

What do you have? I've mostly been looking for the Sonic games, like Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Spinball, Sonic and Knuckles, etc. I'm also looking for that Jurassic Park game where you could play as a raptor or allan grant or something... And of course, anything James Pond :lol: Lemme know what you've got.

Vostok 7

Worst gaming platform of all time is Operation. I could never get those tweeezers to fit in some of those holes.