The Xbox 360 Thread!

I am enjoying my folder view for videos and mp4/mov support from spring update. It is nice you can stream and play off of USB device. I might have to get some points to buy Double Dragon.

Went point crazy last night and this morning. Finally downloaded Centipede/Millipede along with the new Gears maps. Got Double Dragon downloaded before I went to work. Sometime soon, I was hoping to check out Saw III and Tenacious D; this download service for movie rentals on the 360 has been a great idea so far. :)

Such lovely people here. I'm done here. Go back to your broken console, farttard.

Dej - unlike a Macross 7 thread, people jump on you here for criticizing the mighty xbox. (And unlike Macross 7, one can actually PROVE that the xbox360 fundamentally sucks.)

Well I'm not "trolling" this thread - I just come here to check if someone else's console has busted yet. As for purchasing an extended warranty to avoid the loss of paying 400+ dollars for a new Xbox, well, I'd just call that prolonging the inevitable. I myself purchased the extended warranty... and sold it on ebay along with the system once I got it back from the repair center. I lost money big-time on ebay selling my box and all the extras but at least I saved myself a future aneurism. The thing that baffles me is that in all my video game mags, all the exclusive games seem to be going to the 360 now. (?!?!?!)

I can't believe people are actually clinging to a system that is going to die. I don't mean in general, I just mean that anyone who purchases a 360 is going to have to get it repaired sometime, period. I'll wait and see if the Xbox's "new" 360s don't die practically fresh-out-of-the-box, but even if they're built worth a crap I still think I'd walk on by. I think it's pretttttttty sad when you have to redesign a system because it was constructed so poorly to begin with. And what's even sadder is all the killer games I'll be missing out on because of my disdain for Microsoft. (Please oh please bungie get greedy and put Halo 3 on the Ps3)

EDIT: 3% FAILURE RATE MY A-S-S. Microsoft has BALLZ to assert THAT claim. More like 30%; I'd estimate more.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

(Please oh please bungie get greedy and put Halo 3 on the Ps3)

Uh, Bungie is owned by Microsoft. I'm sure that'll happen. :rolleyes:

Point is guys, if you think the 360 sucks so much... don't buy it. Pretty much everyone here is happy with their 360, so I don't really understand what you're trying to do. Gutsandcasca, that sucks that youre system broke. Sometimes sh!t happens in life, you'll be a happier person in the long run if you don't take it so personally.

In other, less troll-focused topics, I managed to get into the Halo 3 press event this Friday. Not sure what all will be unveiled, but it's looking like it should be a cool event.

Nice but sub or dub ?

Good question. If it's to be dubed, which voice actors would they use - the guys from the Ocean Group who did First Gundam and Char's Counterattack or the guys who played Amuro, Char, Bright, and the others in the Zeta dub? Or would it be a new cast?

Hopefully they'll go the Soul Calibur II or DOA route.

Dej - unlike a Macross 7 thread, people jump on you here for criticizing the mighty xbox. (And unlike Macross 7, one can actually PROVE that the xbox360 fundamentally sucks.)

The Xbox 360 has a huge failure issue. I think that can be taken as a fact. The thing is, I came on just to alert people that another 360 has bit the dust.

For me, in a cost benefit analysis, the amount of entertainment time I can get out of it probably warrants me paying another $400 for it. I value my entertainment highly and make enough money that it doesn't bother me. For others, they want to pay $400 and get a perfect machine with no issues. Fine, they assign values differently. Nobody is wrong in their analysis...you just assign different values.

When the query is whether you should buy one or recommend someone buy one...that is what we call an opinion. And opinions differ. But you definitely come off as a prick when you force your "opinion" on others, call someone a "douchebag" or when you tout that you are "happily married" on this site as if it was some sort of achievement. And this is not in reference to you Guts...that person knows who he is.

Edited by BruinValk

mechfan, if i use media center to stream videos, what are all the media types available now since the update? before I believe it was only WMV.

WMV. x264, MP4/MOV can be streamed using WMP11 or Zune software. From what I have heard it does not work with MCE with MP4. I have not tried it yet. Also you can watch WMV and MP4/MOV from a USB device. MP4 have to be encoded in [MPEG4 AVC (Nero AVC, x264, Quick Time AVC, MainConcept AVC, Sorensen AVC ...)]

Any one buy the Gettin' Busy Pack for Crackdown? I have it and love it. If anyone wants to try it before you buy it let me know and I'll send you a game invite.

Edited by Mechafan

The Xbox 360 has a huge failure issue. I think that can be taken as a fact. The thing is, I came on just to alert people that another 360 has bit the dust.

For me, in a cost benefit analysis, the amount of entertainment time I can get out of it probably warrants me paying another $400 for it. I value my entertainment highly and make enough money that it doesn't bother me. For others, they want to pay $400 and get a perfect machine with no issues. Fine, they assign values differently. Nobody is wrong in their analysis...you just assign different values.

I agree. I value my entertainment time a ton, because I don't get enough of it. (who does?) I grew up with video games - I've been buying new systems since my first NES. The only one I ever had tank on me was the first xbox I ever bought (it only worked with one game in the end - Halo, which is how I duped gamestop into taking it off my hands long ago, which I still feel sorta' guilty about.) And then years later, my 360 goes down REAL fast. "wtf" Microsoft? I guess I'm just not forgiving when it comes to spending this kind of money. If I spend the money to purchase a Rolls Royce it'd better not have the drive shaft fall out onto the freeway during its first 2000 miles. If I spend 400 bucks on a console, well, same idea. I know technology has come a long way since sega genesis, and it's a lot easier for problems to occur; I'll wait and see if ps3's start bottoming out all over the place before I invest in one. Halo 3 had better be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaally good if I'm going to risk purchasing one of the "new new new" 360s (Elite-ultra-super-duper-small-chip-slow-melt-edition or whatever.)

I didn't know Bungie was owned by Microsoft. bummer.

Only game system I've had actually fail on me is my PS1.

Other decks with issues:

My XBox doesn't always eject, but it was bought used.

My NES is finicky. But you knew that... it's an NES, after all.

I've blown a 2600 power supply or 3. Also had to solder down a loose power connector once. Really lousy choice of connector.

One of my Virtual Boy stands is cracked badly.

Original brick GameBoy lost several screen columns.

Done a LOT of 5200 controller cleaning. Modded sticks seem more or less worry-free, but I HAD to mod them.

Had to clean out a PS2 pad once, too. Fortunately it's not Atari 5200 Part 2, but the fact that I had to open the gamepad is... unimpressive.

I think that's it.

Admittedly, I don't own a 360 ... yet. Planning to change that this weekend.

Seems I've successfully failed to wait for the new chips to enter production.

My PC sux and i don't have the funds to buy a new one that can play C&C 3 so i guess the most economical way is to buy the game for the xbox360. Anyone bought C&C 3 on xbox? Read some reviews online and seems general consensus is controls are too clunky on the joypad.

I just got back from the Halo 3 press event in San Francisco tonight. Got a big screen TV all to myself for about two and a half hours.

In short, it's great. Nothing about it is amazingly better than Halo 2, but I think Halo 2 was pretty close to perfection. Just tosses in a lot more variety in the weapons, all the levels kicked ass. Fun new modes. Can't wait for the 15th.

When the query is whether you should buy one or recommend someone buy one...that is what we call an opinion. And opinions differ. But you definitely come off as a prick when you force your "opinion" on others, call someone a "douchebag" or when you tout that you are "happily married" on this site as if it was some sort of achievement. And this is not in reference to you Guts...that person knows who he is.

Ha. First you give out bad advice, I question you on it, then you personally attack me and I'm the prick? Ya ok :rolleyes: .

Like I've said before, I like the 360 games, its the durability of the console I'm not thrilled about.

Edited by dejr8bud

I just got back from the Halo 3 press event in San Francisco tonight. Got a big screen TV all to myself for about two and a half hours.

In short, it's great. Nothing about it is amazingly better than Halo 2, but I think Halo 2 was pretty close to perfection. Just tosses in a lot more variety in the weapons, all the levels kicked ass. Fun new modes. Can't wait for the 15th.

Nice. Don't really care about new weapons and all that...I just want to finish the fracken story! Stupid cliffhanger ending for Halo 2.....grrrr.

Nice. Don't really care about new weapons and all that...I just want to finish the fracken story! Stupid cliffhanger ending for Halo 2.....grrrr.

True, but the novels do a great deal of fleshing out the story. I really enjoyed the novelization of the game.

Well I'm not "trolling" this thread - I just come here to check if someone else's console has busted yet. As for purchasing an extended warranty to avoid the loss of paying 400+ dollars for a new Xbox, well, I'd just call that prolonging the inevitable.

Why would you pay $400 for a new unit? If your 360 dies and MS wont fix it for free they don't charge you a full $400. Plus even if they did you could just go out and buy a core system for $299.

I can't believe people are actually clinging to a system that is going to die. I don't mean in general, I just mean that anyone who purchases a 360 is going to have to get it repaired sometime, period.

So you are saying that there is a 100% failure rate? Do you even have a shred of evidence to back up your speculation? MS official line is 3% which would amount to over 300,000 consoles at this point based on sales to date. Do you know how many have failed? Try a random phone survey of around 2000 to 5000 360 owners then come back and report your findings. Otherwise your just trolling. Online polls are of little value. Most people that have their original 360 don't run around posting about that fact on web polls. I'm still on my launch 2005 360 with no red rings.

EDIT: 3% FAILURE RATE MY A-S-S. Microsoft has BALLZ to assert THAT claim. More like 30%; I'd estimate more.

You already did you said it was 100%

Ha. First you give out bad advice, I question you on it, then you personally attack me and I'm the prick? Ya ok :rolleyes: .

Like I've said before, I like the 360 games, its the durability of the console I'm not thrilled about.

It was very clear that you had nothing intelligent to say...now, add the fact that your perception of reality is blurred leads me to believe that to continue this "conversation" (though that presupposes speaking with someone with some iota of intelligence) would be an exercise in futility.

It was very clear that you had nothing intelligent to say...now, add the fact that your perception of reality is blurred leads me to believe that to continue this "conversation" (though that presupposes speaking with someone with some iota of intelligence) would be an exercise in futility.

Sigh...too old for this bullshit

next time just PM me if you have anything "intelligent" to say :rolleyes:

Anyway looks like the spring update region lock isn't working for now

Good news: Namco Bandai released a demo for Eternal Sonata!

Bad news: Major Nelson says it's only available to Japanese accounts.

Good news: It's available to Japanese accounts! That's right, the region lockout addition to the Spring update is... not working so well here.

1UP can confirm that, while this is not a practice Microsoft would condone, if the XBL profile you're using has its region set to Japan (regardless of whether you actually live there), you will be able to download this demo. Thousands of miles removed from the "Land of the Rising Sun," we were able to download the English-language demo for Eternal Sonata as a scientific experiment; a successful one to boot. And once it is on your Xbox 360, you can switch back to your regular profile and play the game. Erm, not that Microsoft wants any of us doing this... but you can for now.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159497

BTW, has anyone on the Halo 3 Beta got their e-mail yet for how to download the game on Wednesday yet?

I'm not sure of this since I don't own a 360 but I believe if you got the game download available through Crackdown or XBox Live Gold you download it via Marketplace on the day its available.

Just my guess.

BTW, has anyone on the Halo 3 Beta got their e-mail yet for how to download the game on Wednesday yet?

Depends on how you got on the Beta, I think. I believe Crackdown has an option for Halo 3 beta in it's download section that'll become available one the beta goes up. Otherwise I'm guessing they'll email you a code? Not sure. I've been playing the beta since Saturday morning on the Friends & Family thing, and it's really great, although right now the amount of people is really small. Makes for some odd sightings though, played against gabe and Tycho of Penny Arcade last night.

So you are saying that there is a 100% failure rate? Do you even have a shred of evidence to back up your speculation?

Not to lend any real weight to the argument, but over time it will be.

'S one of the things I REALLY hate about the polygon-era hardware.

It's all doomed due to lots of moving parts that aren't easily replaceable. Hell, the XBoxes have (semi-)proprietary hard drives to go with their (semi-)proprietary DVD-ROMs.

Add active cooling requirements for everything Dreamcast and up.

Also: I have a 360 now.

And Bullet Witch, which I very much like. Library set to expand soon.

Still debating an extended warranty.

I probably need one, but I hate the idea of making a monetary bet that my system will fail in X amount of time.

Depends on how you got on the Beta, I think. I believe Crackdown has an option for Halo 3 beta in it's download section that'll become available one the beta goes up. Otherwise I'm guessing they'll email you a code? Not sure. I've been playing the beta since Saturday morning on the Friends & Family thing, and it's really great, although right now the amount of people is really small. Makes for some odd sightings though, played against gabe and Tycho of Penny Arcade last night.

I got in for free back in February as part 2 of the "Rule of 3". I know at least one other guy here on Macross World got in the same way, too. The Beta is suppose to be out tomorrow so I assume I just haven't received the final e-mail yet.

You already did you said it was 100%

30% so FAR. Before the next-next-gen consoles hit the scene (in what, 5 years? Maybe less?) I think YOU and everyone else with a 360 will experience the joy of refurbishing, just like I did. And I don't think anybody in their right mind would like to spend money on a core system (which I believe they don't SELL anymore) after their other one red-rings them into an aneurism. Hey - I like the Xbox360 games. Hell, that's why I bought one. But having to get it repaired after barely playing it for a few months? Pffft. I don't have the time for something that problematic.

Such babies around here. I'm happily married, douchebag. :lol:

lemme guess, its illegal to marry livestock but you found a loophole somewhere, right?

"no father, this really is a woman! now say the rites and lets get this over with." :p

30% so FAR. Before the next-next-gen consoles hit the scene (in what, 5 years? Maybe less?) I think YOU and everyone else with a 360 will experience the joy of refurbishing, just like I did. And I don't think anybody in their right mind would like to spend money on a core system (which I believe they don't SELL anymore) after their other one red-rings them into an aneurism. Hey - I like the Xbox360 games. Hell, that's why I bought one. But having to get it repaired after barely playing it for a few months? Pffft. I don't have the time for something that problematic.

nope, only about 7% failure rate. how many times do I have to tell you when something good happens to you (or nothing at all) you tell maybe one or two people but when something bad happens to you you tell ten people. hence the reason why you think so many of these are breaking. and given enough time (5, 10, hell 15 years) ALL disk drive consoles will be bricks, P$3 included.

and BTW the "tard" version of the 30GB P$3 is the one Sony stopped selling due to poor of sales, not the 360 Core console. that one is still for sale and will be as long as the 360 continues to have awesome GAMES (emphasis on GAMES, not movies and cancer research) unlike its competitors.

lemme guess, its illegal to marry livestock but you found a loophole somewhere, right?

"no father, this really is a woman! now say the rites and lets get this over with." :p

another fine upstanding xbox 360 user.....

For the 5 people who own the HD-DVD add on

As the format war between HD-DVD and Blu-ray rages on the gaming sidelines, Microsoft continues support for their own Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on. The company's issued an auto-update via Xbox Live for the peripheral, which doesn't bring about any monumental changes, but they're welcomed tweaks for the hardcore, all the same.

A downloadable version of the update should be available on Xbox.com later this week. Thanks to Major Nelson for the complete feature list:

# Added option for user to select from the following audio output formats via TOSLINK or HDMI:

- Digital Stereo (2 channel PCM)

- Dolby Digital 5.1

- DTS 5.1

- WMA Pro

# Added "Dynamic Range Control" toggle for digital audio output

# Improved HD DVD networking support

# Improved HD DVD title compatibility

# Improved performance with MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

# 1080p via HDMI is supported on the Xbox 360 Elite with HDCP compliant displays

# Improved parental controls

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159519

Why do I have a sinking feeling that my beloved 360 thread is about to be deep-sixed? :(

I wouldn't worry too much about it. most of the broken 360's can be attibuted to "user failure", not hardware so as long as you don't leave it on day and night stuffed in an entertainment center you'll be fine.

when someone's been through three or four 360's you've got to start looking at the user, not the console.

a lot of people don't know how to take care of their stuff and theres even such a thing as "dirty" electricity thats in old houses and apartment complexes.

if you aren't a 12 year old kid who rips their console out of the entertainment center every weekend and drags it over to a friends house for LAN parties I think you'll be alright.

Only regrets I have are I'll never play Halo 3, or Gears of War 2. And indeed, those are deep, deep regrets. BTW, it was a salesman at Game Crazy who told me Microsoft only puts out the premiums now, my apologies for his uh, confusing the 360 with the PS3. (?)

I think I'm gonna' go with the option EGM posted on their cover for this month's issue - wait before I invest in an upgraded version of the 360, or a PS3. After reading about F.E.A.R. becoming such an awful port for the PS3, I have my doubts as to how well game manufacturers will be able to utilize its capabilities. IF Microsoft can produce a nondefective product Sony's azz may be thoroughly kicked. Time will tell.

Until then, I'm gonna' come back to this thread AGAIN and AGAIN waiting for the next of you to have an awesome red ring experience. HA!