yamato 1/48 head on a 1/55 bandai?

ghostryder

Does anyone know if a recast 1/48 head can retrofit onto a bandai 1/55 reissue? I can't remember how the 1/55 head is attached, and was hoping it was a single screw. Seeing how bloated those 1/55 heads are, I was thinking scale should not be a problem, and in fact an improvement.

I'm looking to make 1S squad leader in CF color scheme :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, the 1/48 head is a bit bigger than I thought! The main head is smaller than the 1/55 1A head overall, but the big lasers and side turrets make it look bigger than the 1/55 1A head.

Anyone have a comparison shot of a 1/55 1S (takatoku head style, not the 1990 bandai super) compared to a 1/48 1S? Don't want to waste a perfectly good recast head on a chunky, if it's gonna look rediculous.

I always thought the Bandai 1/55's had huge bubble heads.......why would you want to put a BIGGER head on there?

338433[/snapback]

Actually, after seeing some comparison pics, the 1/48 1S head is smaller than both the 1/55 1A AND 1S heads. The longer lasers threw me.

Reason for putting the 1/48 head on a 1/55 - wanted to make a 1S in CF colors, and the bandai heads are just plain ugly :p

I wanna see pics :rolleyes:

335988[/snapback]

Blecch, sorry for the bad pics. I think the wife will be getting a new digital camera for x-mas :D . I also need to work on my diorama skills. Still need to add stickers and custom squad marking, but these pics will give you an idea of how a 1/48 yamato head looks on a bandai. I think it's a big improvement over the bloated bandai head. I also added some trim to the chest plate to reduce the perceived chunkyness in fighter mode.

Hey kanata67, I need those vernier thruster stickers to finish the chestplate!

Note: I couldn't mod the yamato neck to fit the head attachment stub on the bandai, so I used the bandai neck - it's a little skinny, but at least i can swap the old head back if i need.

VF-1S CF head

head3.jpg

Batteroid closeup

batt2.jpg

Fighter

fighter.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

Hi it does not look to bad with the head swap :) , just pray to god that your stove does not come on :ph34r:

P.S that really is not a good place to take pictures :p

Edited by zeo-mare

Thanks. Since bandai's "brown" is more of a camo olive, I didn't want the entire head to be that color. I think the head color and chestplate trim distiguishes it from you typical -1A CF, without making it look too high-vis in combat. Believe it or not, I used light gray Krylon Fusion, which is a near perfect match for the bandai plastic.

looks good. Glad to hear the stickers made it and the condition didn't cause you to much grief. I soooo should have saved that 1/48 beer's 1s head and modded a 1/55 instead of giving it to greenguy to mod a 1/48 1j. Maybe he still has that 1j head lying around I wonder :rolleyes: