Firefly universe

MGREXX

If the only two remaining super powers in the Firefly universe are China and the good old USA, and there is heavy chinese cultural/religious influence everywhere, why is there no Chinese cast member on board the crew of the Serenity. They are not even seen in any major or minor roles throughout the series????? yet, they are all over the place in the background. B))

Btw, River does not count even thought she does look "asian". She is just plain weird looking but in a semi-sexual way. :lol:

Theories???

Edited by MGREXX

Why specualte?

http://chud.com/interviews/4389

Q: In the universe of Serenity, Chinese is spoken, Chinese is a general influence – but there are no Chinese people.

Whedon: It kind of happened that way. We auditioned Asian actors. We auditioned pretty much every race for every role. Including for Simon after we cast River. She looks kind of Asian, and they could be half brother and sister. It was just how it worked out. And then some people have been offended by that, but ultimately the cast is fairly multi-racial and absolutely the people who are supposed to be playing those parts, so what are you going to do?

I actually wanted to dig deeper in another level involving the character's in the Universe, instead of the actual cast members.

I know what Whedon said but what is the "real" meaning behind the lack of Chinese in the Firefly Universe???

When I see them in the background, they are always walking around talking and shopping.

Could there be some deeper meaining that Wheadon has deliberately left out.

What is their actual role in the Firefly Universe?????

I want Conspiracy theories or hidden agendas.

I wonder if Jewel Staite (Kaylee) has any Asian blood in her as she looks of mixed ancestry.

Graham

332375[/snapback]

Who knows where her family is from but all I have found on her is that she is a native Texan. YEE HAA!!!!!!

As for the Glau family name, I have gotten dead ends.

From where or what in the hell is she?

I say she is half Japanese and half American (cowboy). YEE HAA!!!!!!

Anybody know for sure?

As for Gina Torres, she ain't a sista!!!

She is Cuban. :D

I wonder if Jewel Staite (Kaylee) has any Asian blood in her as she looks of mixed ancestry.

Graham

332375[/snapback]

Who knows where her family is from but all I have found on her is that she is a native Texan. YEE HAA!!!!!!

Anybody know for sure?

Wow... who knew that Texas was in White Rock, British Columbia, Canada! :rolleyes:

Edited by >EXO<

Graham

332375[/snapback]

Anybody know for sure?

Wow... who knew that Texas was in White Rock, British Columbia, Canada! :rolleyes:

332454[/snapback]

Texas is not in Canada. It's in the USA....duh!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Summer Glau

Summer is a native of San Antonio, TX. She's been a premier ballerina most of her life. Her debut was in various commercials and a guest appearance in the WB's "Angel."

5' 8" (1.73 m)

Birth Date: July 24, 1981

Birth Place: San Antonio, Texas, USA

Edited by MGREXX

There was an asian guy working at wolfram and hart in the later season of angel after lindsy left, his name was gavin, and there were a few asains that popped up all over angel as a matter of fact. Honestly i didnt like the character gavin though, he always seemed behind the power curve of the law firm most of the time.

Anyone notice that Shepard Book is absolutely nowhere to be seen in any of the Serenity trailers?

I can't tell if its a plot device or they out and out clipped the guy in the movie.

332509[/snapback]

Book has a small role in the movie, unfortunately, but he is in it. I'm torn over whether they should one day tell his backstory or leave it as the cool mystery that it is....so far any time someone's tried to tell the backstory to a mysterious sci-fi character they not only de-mystify the character, but also tend to tell a pretty lame tale.

Dumbass, why would you quote Graham if you weren't answering his question...  :rolleyes:

332467[/snapback]

Dumbass????

You are the dumbass, you idiot.

I did answer his question as best that I could.

I noticed how you changed the topic after I made you look $tupid when you tried to get me with Summer Glau's home town.

Now, don't you have a geography class to attend......or do you still think that Texas is in Canada? You Moron!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

"High school, it's good to finish it people" :D

Edited by MGREXX

Dumbass, why would you quote Graham if you weren't answering his question...  :rolleyes:

332467[/snapback]

Dumbass????

I noticed how you changed the topic after I made you look $tupid when you tried to get me with Summer Glau's home town.

Now, don't you have a geography class to attend......or do you still think that Texas is in Canada? You Moron!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

332596[/snapback]

I didn't change anything dumbass... I added the quote... :rolleyes:

the best you could is never good enough! lol

332467[/snapback]

Dumbass????

332596[/snapback]

332602[/snapback]

Keep avoiding the issue, I understand.

You are sorry and pathetic. :lol::lol:

Edited by MGREXX

332467[/snapback]

Dumbass????

332596[/snapback]

332602[/snapback]

332613[/snapback]

talking to yourself now?

lol

332467[/snapback]

Dumbass????

332596[/snapback]

332602[/snapback]

332613[/snapback]

talking to yourself now?

lol

332625[/snapback]

That's right, keep hiding behind your $tupidity. :lol::lol:

Well, heres an angle on it -

Whedon said the design of the show was to show the backwaters of the universe. The impoverished and the bottom rungs of the social status spectrum.

Maybe all the Asians are on the better planets, in the better neighborhoods and don't associate with the pain, suffering and violence of the outer rim of the universe. Or they just keep to their own. ( Might have some reasoning as the Tams have an Asian-ish last name and are the most affluent or were the most affluent of the crew)

Is that why we hardly see any Asians when they do go to rich core planets? like when they snuck into the hospital to check River's mind and that hospital was swimming with Asians and Asian doctors?

Many minorities probably don't make it onto shows because they seem like they would be extremely difficult to write for. Want an example? Dennis Haysbert on Fox's 24. Hes a great actor and did a very nice job in the role. But he was probably a pain to write a character. He was a good man, whose only flaw was that he was TOO good, TOO honest, TOO moral compared to everyone else. Why? Because Fox didn't need the pain and grief for portraying a mainstream TV show black president as doing things that normal presidents might have to do ( order attacks, lie, manipulate, play politics, stab someone in the back) to get the job done. Why risk generating negative buzz and alienating fans? Easier just to avoid the character.

Ah, so that's why Sherry Palmer had such a heart of gold. Or will you argue it's ok for TV to portray her so corruptly because she's female and we all know that women are evil.... :rolleyes:

Or would you rather watch those other two guys toss monkeyshit at each other in this thread all night long?

No, I just want this stupid thread closed since there was no need for a second Firefly thread to tell you thr truth.

I wasn't diagreeing outright on your previous points. Just showing you were your logic was flawed concerning Firefly becaus ethere aren't enough Asians on that show period.

And yes, the media in general hates women and portrays them just as you stated (we can leave the unrealistic portrayal of women from comics, games and movies for some other time). Sheery Palmer did everything most politicians do (outside being a treasonous traitor to the country) that David Palmer was "above" and she was punished for it.

What was the name of Jayne's favorite gun from the TV series again? And does it feature in the movie?

Graham

333452[/snapback]

Vera... I don't remember if it was in the movie, gotta see it again.

333453[/snapback]

Not the Vera of the TV series no...

What was the name of Jayne's favorite gun from the TV series again? And does it feature in the movie?

Graham

333452[/snapback]

Vera... I don't remember if it was in the movie, gotta see it again.

333453[/snapback]

Not the Vera of the TV series no...

333486[/snapback]

Vera was not mentioned in the movie nor was it used. Jayne had a thing for grenades in the movie, instead. :rolleyes::rolleyes: