MGS 4 : Guns of the Patriots

wolfx

Obviously, HD textures are going to take up a lot of space on the disc, but I think what makes this game 50 gigs is all the uncompressed audio. There's nothing like hearing Snake get into a 1 hour monologue about his fifth grade science fair project, all in the middle of heated boss battle.

Pretty much.

Your average "next gen" console or PC game is only about 10 to 15 gig tops for the actual game mechanics, models, textures, sound effects, etc. It's all the FMV video and audio that tip the scales. I mean your average video game will not fill up a Blu Ray disc, heck it probably won't even fill up one side of a Blu Ray disc... but a Blu Ray HD movie with all it's video and audio will max that sucker out.

Plus the textures can't be too crazy. The PS3 is good but it's not the best you can get for texture pushing capacity. I'd even call the PS3's usual texture resolutions "adequate"... they are not much to write home about compared to the pure balls a super high end PC game and video card can muster.

It's all the FMV video and audio that tip the scales

If you played any of the Metal Gear solid games you would know that all the FMV video you talked about is IN GAME so it doesn't take as much space as the normal FMV you talk about. It's not a pre made video file like Final Fantasy.

The audio is the main cause,, having 7.1 sound takes lots of room.

The audio is the main cause,, having 7.1 sound takes lots of room.

And from what I've seen they claim the game is going to be mastered in 7.1 uncompressed audio... which IMHO is kind of gimmicky. The people who will actually be able to take advantage of that are like 1 in a few thousand, if that. Then again they might as well put it in... a lot of people are putting a lot of eggs in this basket. If this game doesn't blow the socks, shoes and toenails off of a lot of people its going to be kind of sad. So many people have waited so long for this game... it would be a real shame if it doesn't live up to the already gargantuan hype it has brewing.

And from what I've seen they claim the game is going to be mastered in 7.1 uncompressed audio... which IMHO is kind of gimmicky. The people who will actually be able to take advantage of that are like 1 in a few thousand, if that. Then again they might as well put it in... a lot of people are putting a lot of eggs in this basket. If this game doesn't blow the socks, shoes and toenails off of a lot of people its going to be kind of sad. So many people have waited so long for this game... it would be a real shame if it doesn't live up to the already gargantuan hype it has brewing.

It's happened before, most openly with Halo 2 and the Star Wars prequels.

Edited by CoryHolmes

Yeah it happens all the time, the problem with the metal gear series is that it really only sells well with the people who have been playing since mgs. Its just too hard to jump right into the plot when you are 4 (or 6) games in already. 1 final thought... the cutscenes never really bothered me but the damn codec moments were always annoying.

i'm cool with the 50Gig game, as long as they didn't go overboard with the cutscenes & the end credits better be

skippable.

hopefully there won't be any more of that 64 frog crap either <_<

i had to assassinate those bastards 2 times! once for MGS3, another for SUBSISTENCE.

i do not want to do that all over again!

i think i know where the other 20+ gigs are gonna go to:

EXTRAS->VIDEOS->PAST MISSIONS

"Snake: the ass-kickermentary"

plus the tutorials & extra-extra stuff, probably camo, VR missions, boss battle, monkey hunt the revenge...

i think that about covers the mystery 40gigs

the 7.1 audio's interesting, hmm... i'm gonna need a new surround sound system for it :lol:

EDIT:

Edited for smartassery

Edited by UN_MARINE

Honestly, the game has already exceeded my expectations with the previews that have been shown so far. And for the record, I really enjoyed MGS2, and MGS3 rocked my socks. The only thing Kojima Pro. has ever done to dissapoint me is not release Policenauts over here, and not do a kickass remake/sequal to Snatcher. If by chance they manage to cram those games into the 50 gig BR, all the better.

More than the stealth aspects, I really enjoy the convoluted stories Kojima concocts, so I don't mind the long cut scenes & codec conversations.

More than the stealth aspects, I really enjoy the convoluted stories Kojima concocts, so I don't mind the long cut scenes & codec conversations.

Convoluted is one thing, but I got off the MGS bandwagon with Liquid Snake's spirit still in his arm and being able to assume control over the body it's grafted to and that whole craptacular idea about 200 year-old spirits still living in the White House and really controlling everything. After all of that, I'm more than content with Splinter Cell.

Convoluted is one thing, but I got off the MGS bandwagon with Liquid Snake's spirit still in his arm and being able to assume control over the body it's grafted to and that whole craptacular idea about 200 year-old spirits still living in the White House and really controlling everything. After all of that, I'm more than content with Splinter Cell.

Ha I haven't played MGS2 in awhile, was it really 200 year old ghosts or did they never answer that question? As for the arm posessing another person......thats one of the dumbest plot lines ever but it was necessary as to give ocelot a new gun arm and liquid the chance to come back for revenge :lol: .

• 2 weeks later...

What's that bonus disc with the special edition? I'm tempted to import this one, if Konami is kind enough to include international text/subtitles, I'll be all over it.

I just noticed gamestop has a pre-order up now listed with some kind of bonus DVD. Suffice it to say, I've now pre-ordered. Any word on how long that's been listed.

Edited by Keith

US version @ Gamestop has the Metal Gear Saga 2 DVD. Not sure about the import.

From what I've heard on the KPR, the Japan version will not include english subtitles. Probably more a Konami corporate bean counter decision over a Hideo one.

Finally got mine. The Medicom MGS4 12" Old Snake. The rubber suit wasn't as bad as people put it. It actually has very good shoulder movement and holds position well, but the elbow can only hold at 90 degree without bouncing back. And no wrist articulation does hurt quite a bit (and bad choice on Medicom too). But I am surprised at the sturdiness of the inner body, and it doesn't seem very fragile (I did need to take apart a leg to fix a bad lower leg/feet connection though, all good now). And the figure stands surprisingly well without needing a stand. So overall, the body is decent. Almost felt like most people expected a lot from a rubber suit 12", without realizing its limitations. Also a surprising move on Medicom to make Snake taller than all other Medicoms. Old Snake is now as tall as a normal 12", even though the head tend to be a tad smaller in comparison, due to the anime style proportion. And when I look at the inner leg structure, it does look a bit different from their standard RAH301 body. Its like a modified 301 body with some extension, and probably the metal joints too which I don't see in the lower leg.

The weapons are pretty horrible though. My gun is actually not bent like some of others', but its still not that great. Turn out I just use the magazine clip and use that on the chest rig. So much for that M4. Might try to paint it up a bit to see if I can make it any better. But as of now, details are very soft and just looking very plain, not to mention no functioning bits. And that knife looks like a rubber knife that got ran over by a car...so end up giving Snake a nicer M4 with similar setup, as well as a real knife he can hold. Also did some touch up to the eye and eye patch. Seems to improve it a bit.

So for me, a cool but only decent quality figure with many minor issues that can be fixed. But the weapons are a disgrace.

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

Now pretty much confirmed that MGS4 in the US will have a Limited Edition version of the Game itself besides the Console Bundle and regular version.

It will include:

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots in a Metal case

A Blu-ray Bonus Disc that has:

2 behind the scenes/making of documentaries

Hideo Kojima Interview

4 chapters of the graphic novel

Metal Gear Import Soundtrack CD

in addition to (if pre-ordered @ Gamestop)

MGS Art Book

The Metal Gear Saga DVD Vol 2 with the Metal Gear Online Beta code for April

Limited version: $84.99

Remember the Limited version of Subsistence? Pre-order now, and avoid the high eBay craziness.

Edited by Gaijin

Well, Japan certainly wants their MGS4:

Japan MGS4 Bundle Sold out

No official word on the US contents other than the DS3 included, and most likely the regular edition of the game. Would be nice if they include the Limited contents as well. Makes sense, though we have seen the Halo 360 with no Halo in the box at all so....

Edited by Gaijin

Just did a quick paint job on Snake's plastic toy gun. While the functionality is still just as bad, it looks quite a bit better now. And given its his signature gun and being one that fits his hand the best, guess I'll use it to pose from time to time now. Also got Old Snake a "mini me". :D

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

I finally went and made my pre-order of MGS4 Limited edition at Gamestop today.

Got the Metal Gear Saga DVD, but have to wait for the special MGS Art Book. They say it will be given out when the game comes out.

Everything went pretty smooth other then the fact that when I told them I want to pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4, they asked me for which system. :ph34r::huh: lol

All of the Gamestop should have the Metal Gear Saga DVD by now, I heard besty buy got them too.

I finally went and made my pre-order of MGS4 Limited edition at Gamestop today.

Got the Metal Gear Saga DVD, but have to wait for the special MGS Art Book. They say it will be given out when the game comes out.

Everything went pretty smooth other then the fact that when I told them I want to pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4, they asked me for which system. :ph34r::huh: lol

All of the Gamestop should have the Metal Gear Saga DVD by now, I heard besty buy got them too.

Finally picked up my copies of Saga 2.0. Gonna watch it now.

I got my saga 2.0 as well! It was an ok watch but kinda left out some serious plot points (such as foxdie), of course it does encompass all 6 major games. I liked that they had the trailers for the game on the disk as well, nice touch! Now all that remains to be seen is if MGO is a SOCOM clone when we play the beta.