Whoa! what happened here...

wm cheng

Hi all,

Its been a busy summer - and my new "baby" (newish BMW) has taken all my time and resources. With fall approaching and winter inevitable - I look forward to cuddling up with MW :D

What's this with the "How to Build" forum closing down? Where should I post any future progress builds? (if I ever find the time again... :p ) I can't really submit a finished step-by-step (it would take so much time to compile it all in the end, I'd rather start another one if I had that kind of time) - I do it as I build along (its much less painful that way), and I do it for the feedback I get from the kind folks here - often suggesting different ways of solving my problems as I build them.

A submission is a "one-way" conversation at the end with me "talking" at you. I don't want to do that.

Plus I enjoy following along your builds when I'm at work and don't have time to build anything myself.

My 2-cents! :angry:

It's not closed... you just posted in it...  ;)

The section was joined because the traffic was too slow on the seperate sections.

327961[/snapback]

Yeah, but if you read Roy's pinned thread, he's thinking of totally getting rid of this section, build-ups and how-to's would need to be "submitted", in a complete form, for a chance to be displayed on the Main site.

Welcome to Roy's fascist mind, this is the NEW MacrossWORLD ORDER... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

;)

From what I got, we are supposed to just post in the model/toy section all the topics that we are supposed to post in the how-to section.

About the build up, I think we can still open a topic with our "in-progress" works, cause even if I could submit it for the site, I think we all prefer post the build-up and get suggestions and opinions from the MW members. Then IF we have time and will we can submit a step by step guide.

My 0.02$

From what I got, we are supposed to just post in the model/toy section all the topics that we are supposed to post in the how-to section.

About the build up, I think we can still open a topic with our "in-progress" works, cause even if I could submit it for the site, I think we all prefer post the build-up and get suggestions and opinions from the MW members. Then IF we have time and will we can submit a step by step guide.

My 0.02$

327983[/snapback]

Great input, definately agree

Communication is one of the largest ways to grow in this hobby. If the buildups werent available we wouldnt be able to ask questions and get a visual answer. We would be left guessing how he did that and get a descriptive setence with no pics for a good guide. Roy if you are reading please allow the buildups to be allowed Qand A is the heart of model building especially for the newer members here. I have seen this hobby decline because new model builders cannot get a good explanation of what they see so they give up. They dont happen too often and usually are not repeat subjects. Its also great seeing how others do something it gives you ideas on how to tackle similar problems on your own kits.

What BMW did you get William?

327976[/snapback]

Hey Grayson,

I got a 328Ci with all the bells and whistles! Man I love this car!

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=1420&p=328130&

Hey EXO,

I know I just posted to it - I was referring to Roy's pinned thread at the top of this thread. I just know I won't bother to submit a full report after I'm done (I'll forget what I did in the early steps). I keep getting bugged by ARC or Starship modeller to submit for years (but I never get around to it). It was just easy here (at least it was...) Oh well, maybe we'll get a wider audience at the general model forums.

Edited by wm cheng

Sorry my misunderstanding...

I don't think putting up build ups will go ever go away in the forums. I think having a page dedicated to build ups on the main page is more of a pipe dream right now, as is getting anything done on the main page. But I'm looking forward to seeing your future projects on either formats.

Bitch...bitch...bitch...

Look the How to build toys and models were combined because many techniques can be borrowed from the two and it makes things more neater. As for possible closing the how to all together. There are still people posting topics that could be posted here in the normal models and toy sections. Then there are some topics which I think could be posted in both sections.

As for detailed how to build guide posts the forum aren't the greatest place for them. Some topic get old and don't appear with out an active search for them. In the past several topics have been pruned. It is quite possible that someone's really progress guide here will get lost.

The main site could really benifet from members submissions. It is a great way to save you guides and reviews for all time. Now until the witch doctor can bring Shawn back to life as a zombie that is something to be looked into later.

One of the big things for "as it's being built" guides is the question and answer format. There are many questions from people watching, asking how the builder did something, or for clarification of something. Also, builders often ask for input--what color should something be painted, does anyone have a reference shot for that, etc. It happens every day, and the result is better models, and more people learning more techniques, or alternate ways of previous techniques.

None of that would happen if people had to just write articles and submit them. They'd be half the size and leave lots of questions unanswered.

Tooting my own horn for an example, but wm cheng's VF-0 wouldn't have wing-sweep wear nor would the cockpit "hell hole" area be the same if not for our discussion on the forum AS he was building it. And then he also showed everyone how he did the wing-sweep wear. There's many more examples like that on almost every build here.

Plus, since even Graham can't put stuff up on the site currently, closing the forum would mean NO builds for an indeterminite time. Last submission I see is from 2002.

Frankly---having builds AS THEY'RE HAPPENING leads to much higher quality builds, as well as much more informative and useful builds. I belong to several model airplane forums, and all the really good builds are posted as its happening, over several weeks. Plenty of people submit articles after the fact of gorgeous models, but they're never as useful as the ones where the builder actually discusses the model with people as it's being built.

I have to agree with Mr. Hintgen.

The real time in progress build are very much more useful than a completed submission of a finished project. The step by step and Q & A method gives the best opportunity for extra detailed descriptions where needed.

The ideal method would be to let the build-ups progress in the forum and then have it be archived on the main site when complete. I realize that may be another step and complication for our good volunteer mods and site admins, but I think that would result in the best submissions to the site. Does anyone know of an easy way to convert a thread into a suitable form for a submission to the main site?

I can see the point in combining the how to toys and how to models sections. Many of the techniques can be shared. However, I don't think that limiting the types of posts is going to be a good idea. In fact I have been kind of disappointed recently by a couple of posts that were removed from the model section because they weren't about Macross models. Don't get me wrong, I see the need to stay on topic, but a meaningful post about a method or model that could be related or used with Macross modeling should still be in the model section, not the other anime section.

Well, just my $.02 I wish to thank the mods and admins for the service they provide to the rest of us and this post is just intended as some friendly constructive input. ;) Hope it helps.

Hey WM, I just got my VF-2 from E2046 and was hoping to see some more pics of yours (build up if you have it).

328456[/snapback]

Sorry, that baby was way before I even knew about MW or did any build ups. I have a few works in progress snaps if you're interested.

I have to agree with Mr. Hintgen.

The real time in progress build are very much more useful than a completed submission of a finished project. The step by step and Q & A method gives the best opportunity for extra detailed descriptions where needed.

The ideal method would be to let the build-ups progress in the forum and then have it be archived on the main site when complete. I realize that may be another step and complication for our good volunteer mods and site admins, but I think that would result in the best submissions to the site. Does anyone know of an easy way to convert a thread into a suitable form for a submission to the main site?

I can see the point in combining the how to toys and how to models sections. Many of the techniques can be shared. However, I don't think that limiting the types of posts is going to be a good idea. In fact I have been kind of disappointed recently by a couple of posts that were removed from the model section because they weren't about Macross models. Don't get me wrong, I see the need to stay on topic, but a meaningful post about a method or model that could be related or used with Macross modeling should still be in the model section, not the other anime section.

Well, just my $.02 I wish to thank the mods and admins for the service they provide to the rest of us and this post is just intended as some friendly constructive input. ;)  Hope it helps.

328607[/snapback]

fur sure. Let the build up happen as a build up and then seperate the wheat from the chaff for a main site submission once it's done. A walk through is different from a Q&A session but this way both would be availible. More importantly "mods" could compile a build up from members to lazy/consumed to do it on their own.

As for combining the two threads.. I'd have to agree. My big thing is modding toys to be bastard spwn deamons, but a good painting tip is a good painting tip, a good wash technique is a good wash technique, panel lining is panel lining, modifying hips with metal, ball joints, resin, dremmels, etc all serve both functions. I know not every body wants to merge a vf with a cyber violator but some might use my RCA jack removable head technique for much greater and skillful uses than an undead fokker. In fact I'm thinking of RCA jacking the main cannons on a busted SDF-1. But we all know that even though I'm 90% done with a complete 1/55 rebuild/refurb walk-through that it will take me a while to finish and no-body would find the information useful anyways so let roy do what he wants... there are always other boards... sniff... but I love MW :unsure::blink:

I'll post more build ups... honest. I've just had to work, keep up the yard, commute, fix the house, please the wife, ...

Over a year and my home stereo still isn't even hooked up since the move... give a guy some breathing room. No wonder mr. beers talked to my slack ass more often than the board while building his house :blink:

Edited by kanata67

How about a Step-By-Step for Customizing on the main page of MW. This could exist seperately from the model (customs) section and toy (customs) section. This way it would serve as a reference guide. Also, people who are submitting techniques would be able to submit original ideas and not repost methods previously submitted. As far as Step-by-Step build ups, I think this could be set up as a thread that is started and only used by the builder, until he or she is done. Any questions can be answered via PM or e-mails and the builder can then post the answer on the thread, or just describe the efforts/media used in accordance to the questions recieved.

Just an idea...

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Sorry, but I think that having those questions and replies in the thread and then being able to see the results is the best way to follow the build up thread.

Everyone needs to see the questions that are asked and then the results that occur. That way there aren't fifty people asking the same question over and over and also someone else who may have a suggestion can chime in and help out.