Ultimate Avengers

Ladic

Thoughts?

Synopsis:

EARTH, 1945. Humanity was on the brink of annihilation. Sinister forces pushed to seize control of the free world, and only one man rose up to stop them. A man who sacrificed his life to save us all. History remembers him as our one and only Super-Soldier.

We know him as Captain America.

When a nuclear missile was fired at Washington in 1945, Captain America managed to detonate it in the upper atmosphere. But then he fell miles into the icy depths of the North Atlantic, where he remained lost for over sixty years. But now, with the world facing the very same evil, Captain America must rise again as our last hope of survival, and lead a strong-willed team of today's superheroes:

IRON MAN, the billionaire bachelor used to doing things his own way.

THE HULK, the destructive force Bruce Banner hopes to turn into a useful member of the team.

THOR, a hero who has responsibilities to both the world of man and the world of gods.

WASP, a petite powerhouse who sees the team as a fresh start for her and her husband, otherwise known as:

GIANT MAN, sixty feet tall with an equally large chip on his shoulder.

And CAPTAIN AMERICA, a star-spangled idealist resurrected from a 60 year deep-freeze because this team needs a super-soldier to lead them.

ultavposter7vr.jpg

Edited by Ladic

Hopefully it's gonna be cool. It's gonna be based on the Ultimates comic book which was really good. If they can keep up to the quality of the book it should be ok. The book was also gritty, Hulk goes nuts and wipes out a lot of people. So if they don't shy away from the violence then I'm all for it.

This is one of my favorite comic series ever (after the original Iron Man run, of course) I LOVE the gritty storyline and Brian Hitch's pencil work... now if only they could get the rag onto a proper monthly schedule... I'm lucky if I get one bi-monthly... granted it's ALWAYS worth the wait :D I really hope this stays true to the source material.

This is one of my favorite comic series ever (after the original Iron Man run, of course)  I LOVE the gritty storyline and Brian Hitch's pencil work... now if only they could get the rag onto a proper monthly schedule... I'm lucky if I get one bi-monthly... granted it's ALWAYS worth the wait :D  I really hope this stays true to the source material.

326102[/snapback]

yeah, problem with the Ultimates is the artist... he's in England as well as his inker. he takes his sweet time getting his stuff sent to the states for publishing and reviews. it's a shame too because the book rocks. favorite comic next to ulitmate Spidey.

(before you ask how I know about the artist/inker thing, I'm good friends with Ralph Macchio, an editor for Marvel and has direct control over the Ultimate series of books... and he'd love to find another guy that can do the same work locally with the same quality... unfortunately all his top picks are busy on other projects for now)

They already slated Joe Mad to take over the artist spot for The Ulimates 3.  While I love JM's work I think its the wrong direction for The Ultimates.  We're talking about ultra realistic vs. super fantasy...  :(

326112[/snapback]

wow? serious? that sucks. mad is so not the right guy for the book

They already slated Joe Mad to take over the artist spot for The Ulimates 3.  While I love JM's work I think its the wrong direction for The Ultimates.  We're talking about ultra realistic vs. super fantasy...  :(

326112[/snapback]

326125[/snapback]

Yeah, mark Millar isn't coming back to write it either, Jeph Loeb will be taking on scribing duties after the Millar/Hitch team leaves.

Totally dig the movie idea, but animation?? :blink:

I'm seeing this in the bargin bin at most, old FF move stinker, and then maybe not because of it's material(look mommy it's a cartoon). If they dumped some money and effort into it then maybe this would've been an ass-kicking movie.

Gotta agree that having Joe Mad coming on to the UA scene is VERY wrong! The guys turned into a mere concept artist(he's lost his old style) and after that CRAP batman cartoon he's not someone who should be drawing the book. Lee, Silvestri, Perez, Thibert, Choi, maybe Joe Q., Turner, or John R Jr(i could stomach him) yeah.

I'd rather have the artist would did that one (older)Limited Series of the Inhumans though. They'd match up REALLY well. :)

326112[/snapback]

326125[/snapback]

Yeah, mark Millar isn't coming back to write it either, Jeph Loeb will be taking on scribing duties after the Millar/Hitch team leaves.

326128[/snapback]

hmmm, I guess I won't be coming back either than.. too bad. I like both jeph loeb and Mad... but I just don't see them working out for this book unless they really change the tone...

I suggest anyone interest in this pick up the Ultimates Vol 1. DVD, it came out a couple of years ago and I picked up a sale priced version of it at Toys R Us for $4.00 and it had the first 6 issues and it was done in a semi-animated version. It used the existing comic panels but with voiceover and some minor animation to the panels. It was pretty good.

326112[/snapback]

326125[/snapback]

326128[/snapback]

hmmm, I guess I won't be coming back either than.. too bad. I like both jeph loeb and Mad... but I just don't see them working out for this book unless they really change the tone...

326211[/snapback]

The Ultimates works so good because of Millar's charactezation and Hitch's incredebly detailed and epic pencils. And this is in a comic that has very little fights. I mean, it reads so well and the art is so spot on that you feel like your watching a really good blockbuster. Another good thing is that is based more on reality, not hockey comicness.

This is a really dramatic change for the comic. I agree with eugimon.

• 4 months later...
Looks interesting, a lot like the X-Men cartoon of the nineties.  One question, since when is Nick Fury black?

367893[/snapback]

Since the ultimates

the tralier looks lilke Gi joe to me

Wow.... it looks like decent Saturday morning cartoons, but they actually managed to ruin all of the character designs and neuter all of the dark gritty appeal that made the series so awesome. And they wrecked the Iron Man, design, so I'm utterly crushed. UIM is one of my favorite suit designs ever, and I'm absolutely the biggest Iron Man fan EVER.

So why did they make Nick Fury black, the NF I grew up with a gruff old white guy, not spencer for hires side kick with a stogie and an eye patch.

367929[/snapback]

I think you are missing the point of Marvel's Ultimate line.

I was started to get new and younger readers onboard by reinventing stable Marvel characters and starting said characters in a new continuity. A fresh start.

It worked.

Marvel regained a lot of market share.

The Ultimates (ultimate avengers) are one of their best selling titles. I assume this is one of the reasons why they are getting the "treatment"

Anyways, the animation is subpar, and if you have read the comics the story won't suprise anyone.

If it goes up against JLU, I see cancelation in it's future.

The trailer is up:

http://www.ultimateavengers.com

Looks like the movie covers the first 12 issues. Animation looks good... for a Saturday morning cartoon.

367888[/snapback]

It's been up for about a full month now and doesn't look remotly good. It's 70's period level animation quality(remember the Hulk?). This totally needed to be made into an R rated live action movie or R rated mini-series because by making it a 'cartoon' they have to remove or lower the gritty content for marketability reasons.

Damn it wanna see "HULK EAT PUNY HUMAN!", lay the SMACK-DOWN on Giant "Wife Beating" Man, and see the ever 'noble' Captain "kick azz" American punt the Hulk in the nuts(all's fair in war son)! :lol:

And since we've on the same topic... Doomsday draws nearer to the day Joe Mad takes the artistic helm of The Ultimates. Frankly I'd rather see another Battlechasers first....

Oh I'm so glad when I first heard about this I thought it was to be a Live action theatrical feature... The day any ultimates series get made into lives I'll cry...

since it's just a cartoon I can file it away with X-men evolutions under weird animated AU crap that marvel should never have done...

I can't stand the ultimite universe so I can't see myself picking this up.

So why did they make Nick Fury black, the NF I grew up with a gruff old white guy, not spencer for hires side kick with a stogie and an eye patch.

367929[/snapback]

My biggest disappointment is that they didn't pursue Samuel L. Jackson for Fury. In the Ultimates comic, Nick Fury IS Samuel L. Jackson (okay, not exactly...Sam Jackson also exists in their universe - Fury says he should play him if they make a movie based on the Ultimates...). He's even got the facial same mannerisms. The other guys were also drawn from movie star photo references, but at least they're not as obvious and exact. I know it would might've raised the cost of this straight-to-DVD film (unless you could coax Sam to do it at a discount out of his love for comics), but it would've been worth it.

[MINOR COMIC/POTENTIALLY CARTOON SPOILER]

I still like when Fury introduces himself to the recently recovered Cap in the comic and Cap decides he's definitely in some kind of elaborate trap set up by the Nazis because no black man could be a general :D

[END SPOILER]

Does anyone know if Thor gets a Scandinavian accent or is American in the cartoon version? I'm hoping they do a follow-up DVD that has a bit of the second volume 'is Thor really a god or just crazy?' storyline....assuming the cartoon even leaves that up for interpretation....

What happened to Thor's beard!? The animation looks more the like 90's Spiderman animated series which doesn't really fit with the look of the comic version. Just looking to see how close they kept to the story. Remember this had the Hulk killing people and Giant Man physically abusing the Wasp at their home.

Guess the Wasp showind horny Hulk her "headlights" to distract him like in the comic is out of the question  :p

368345[/snapback]

Well, given that it's from behind, it may still be present...assuming we get a Hulk rampage in the first place. I think the hardest part about that whole scene is trying to say that the Hulk is lustful...getting that concept across in a kid-friendly show is more difficult than a quick 'she showed her boobies' joke. I still like Fury's (I think it was his) comment about 'multiple PhDs and THAT'S all you could think of?'. :D

Although I dug the look, I can live with Thor not having his beard....perhaps it's to make him look a bit more like his 'regular universe' self. Aint-It-Cool-News has a clip of him on Greenpeace-like ships stopping a whaling vessel...a little violently (although, in G.I.Joe-esque fashion, walls can be punctured, but never people). Hopefully we'll get the whole 'maybe he's psycho, maybe he IS a god...whatever the situation is, he's not really fully on our side' aspect that I loved in the book.

I have seen a few clips and I am impressed. The animation is smooth and full of action. The color pallete is kindy dumpy but other than that it is looking good. Some veteran animators are working on this Butch Lukic(Batman,Bat Beyond) and Frank Paur(Spiderman Amazing Friends,Batman) to name 2.

• 2 weeks later...