Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

That looks like the screencap I got as well.  I was pretty confident the cel matches the frame, but the thing that bothered me was the orientation of the cel.  It seems all wrong.  I don't know what to make of the LD claim.  I thought perhaps it was a limited cel like those from AWS, but if it was there would be paperwork.

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2020 at 12:16 PM, Mokman said:

I just go these in and I am quite pleased with then.  I was surprised to find that the backs have been colored in so when you hold them up to a light you see the full shaded image.  Very cool, and unexpected.

Minmei Backlit.jpg

Misa Backlit.jpg

Misa.jpg

Misa Back.jpg

Minmei Back.jpg

Minmei.jpg

Nice catch Mokman!

Then these might interest you on YJ, a little pricey though.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u342265742

On 5/3/2020 at 9:44 AM, jvmacross said:

Seems like 90% of what is currently listed has been relisted for years and some stuff dissapears only to resurface again...like that OP scene

Probably goes into his stockpile and rotates on auction. Big reseller/shop .....

Strike VF-1S Fokker-Type cel used in the Macross: Do You Remember Love? Preview...

large.20200504_123629.jpg.0a6edd10deedcb

So the obvious thing about the cel is that they "forgot" to paint the classic yellow chest stripes on Fokker's -1S.  However, in the actual release of the film, the very same cel sequence and cel is used but with the yellow colored chest stripe.

Another interesting thing about this cel and the preview footage is that apparently there was a storyboard created using several sequences from the film, including the "no yellow stripes" Strike VF-1S Fokker-Type....the entire storyboard for the "Preview" is included in the Storyboards Book included with the recent DYRL Deluxe Bluray...

large.20200424_115344.jpg.555d5a48882bb5

large.20200424_115352.jpg.3b71ee8798c36b

Edited by jvmacross

On 5/2/2020 at 2:32 PM, Mokman said:

Yeah I like those.  Too much though.  It seems that the Japanese sellers don't want to let auctions happen anymore.  They just list things at high prices and wait for the one person willing to spend that much.

Exactly.  Many Japanese art owners want a premium price for the items they have and list the sale price for top dollar.  Of course it does not mean they will get any buyers because demand does wane for most older series.  In fact many of the remaining online dealers just do not get new inventory from private collectors for this very reason. 

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I acquired it a while ago, it consists of several other douga so that when put together it would show her inside her Q-Rau cockpit.

I wanted to make transparent physical copies of each layer and then place them on each other to compose the entire image, but haven't gotten around to it.  I suppose it can be done digitally, but I wanted to see if I could do it with actual physical sheets.  Have you ever tried doing that with a similar douga?

Edited by jvmacross

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, jvmacross said:

I acquired it a while ago, it consists of several other douga so that when put together it would show her inside her Q-Rau cockpit.

I wanted to make transparent physical copies of each layer and then place them on each other to compose the entire image, but haven't gotten around to it.  I suppose it can be done digitally, but I wanted to see if I could do it with actual physical sheets.  Have you ever tried doing that with a similar douga?

Have not attempt to do this myself, however it should be possible using new layers of acetate.  My concern would be what would you use to transfer the line or colors onto it (assuming you wanted to recreate the scene using colors).  Whatever medium you use, it will react chemically to the main douga of Millia, certainly something to be mindful about.  Let us know how your tests go with some pictures after you complete some.  Good luck!

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

52 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Have not attempt to do this myself, however it should be possible using new layers of acetate.  My concern would be what would you use to transfer the line or colors onto it (assuming you wanted to recreate the scene using colors).  Whatever medium you use, it will react chemically to the main douga of Millia, certainly something to be mindful about.  Let us know how your tests go with some pictures after you complete some.  Good luck!

I think Mokman has done this digitally, but I wanted to try it using physical transfers of the separate douga onto tranparent sheets and then assembling them atop each other....not much of an urgent need to do it, but just an excercise on wether it can be done or not

@ANTEATERNEO:lol: You and every other Macross cel collector wished it was cheaper too.  But as you should know, if you want to collect original art, you better be prepared to pay a lot to even stand a chance at buying.

@jvmacrossTry transferring the tracelines using an old school copier.  I had a listing of copiers that were frequently used before, need to search.  In the meantime try researching into the acetate transfer process.  Good luck.

46 minutes ago, Oden said:

It looks like the Flash Back 2012  cel went for 180,000 yen, hopefully to a collector.

It seems this seller (the renowned apple symphony )charges consumer tax regardless of you are bidding from oversea? So the cost would be 198000 yen?  

That Flash Back 2012 cel was really tempting.  Like the cel posted above, it is featured in the the Flash Back 2012 Grafitti art book.  I've owned a few cels from FB2012 over the years, and I would like to add another one to my collection at some point.  I just couldn't bring myself to drop close to $2K on a cel right now.  Unfortunately, that seems to be what they're going for now.

Here is the page in the book:

Macross-Flashback-2012-Graffiti-034.jpg 

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

If you are dropping close to 2000 dollars on a "cel" during the first worldwide pandemic in over 100 years....what's an extra 200 or so bucks! :rolleyes:

Precisely.  Who knows if that specific cel will ever appear online in a gallery, forum, or FB cel group.

Some collectors like it when the cel image appears in books, I personally do not care at all.  For DYRL cels many appear in the Gold Book but it does nothing to increase the cel value.  The same holds true with the FB book.  Since we are on the FB cels, actually preferred the previously sold one where Minmay held the microphone.