Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

Long shot here, but does anyone have episodes of Rampoo the Flying Warped Boy?  It was never released on DVD and the internet in general has very little of it (one full episode and some partial clips is all I could find).  I am particularly interested in episode #18.  Thanks.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:57 PM, Fortress_Maximus said:

Until we get more detailed information from Woodhead I am not going to assume the worst and give both him and Mikimoto the benefit of the doubt.  However, it still would have been professional and greatly appreciated by fans alike, if these unforeseen contractual issues were resolved well in advance of the KS campaign.  We may never know the truth but if anyone finds out, please share via pm if you cannot disclosure publicly.  Thank you.

Robert Woodhead's explanation jives with my limited knowledge of Japanese copyright law. Japan strictly enforces their copyright laws, more so than the USA in some regards. If Mikimoto was going to draw copyrighted characters from other anime productions in exchange for money, then AnimEigo would need to get permission or a license from those copyright holders to do so. For example, if someone pledged $2,500 for Mikimoto to draw a character from Super Dimension Century Orguss, then AnimEigo would need to get permission from TMS Entertainment Co. and Big West. Since AnimEigo only has a license with AIC for Megazone 23, Mikimoto is limited to drawing characters from Megazone 23.

If no money was being exchanged, or if the money from the shikishi was going to a charitable cause, then Japanese copyright holders probably wouldn't care.

@TheLoneWolf:  Possibly true but why weren't the contractual issues finalized before launching the KS?!  The only level that sold out was strictly for Mikimoto's drawings.  Personally would not be surprised if a few early supporters wanted to back out because of false and misleading advertising.

@Mokman:  Is 'Rampo' related to Macross or Macross art?

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

4 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

@TheLoneWolf:  Possibly true but why weren't the contractual issues finalized before launching the KS?!  The only level that sold out was strictly for Mikimoto's drawings.  Personally would not be surprised if a few early supporters wanted to back out because of false and misleading advertising.

My guess is that both parties honestly believed that all the contractual issues were ironed out. Perhaps Mikimoto assumed that AnimEigo was going to handle all the various licensing issues with the shikishi; after all, AnimEigo is one of the oldest anime distributors in the US and has a reputation for professional work. Meanwhile, AnimEigo might not have believed that a handful of shikishis would be enough to infringe Japan's copyright laws, especially since Mikimoto isn't being directly paid for them. But given Mikimoto's fame, combined with the shikishis' high pricetag, should make them highly susceptible to Japan's strict copyright enforcement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm pleased to have a cel in my collection from Macross Flash Back 2012 again.  This is the third Flash Back cel I've owned; unfortunately, the first two were sold years ago.  Prices have gone up a LOT since I bought those cels in the late '90s/early 2000s.  Fortunately, this one isn't stuck, although it does have a bit of line fading (like every FB cel I've ever seen).

limpwrz2a9_m.jpg

On 10/20/2019 at 3:26 PM, theraiden said:

If this was $2500 cheaper i would so jump on it

Shower scene Cel

That cel has been discussed in this thread.  The consensus seemed to be that the price was too high for that shot.  Perhaps a better cel from the shower scene would be worth it to the right collector. 

Edited by ZenAmako

On 10/19/2019 at 11:55 AM, ZenAmako said:

I'm pleased to have a cel in my collection from Macross Flash Back 2012 again.  This is the third Flash Back cel I've owned; unfortunately, the first two were sold years ago.  Prices have gone up a LOT since I bought those cels in the late '90s/early 2000s.  Fortunately, this one isn't stuck, although it does have a bit of line fading (like every FB cel I've ever seen).

limpwrz2a9_m.jpg

nice image! Thanks for sharing

• 3 months later...

Seems like this place is dead.

I haven't posted in a while but I remember Megazone 23 Blu-ray Kickstarter talk and some maybe going after the Mikimoto drawing. Animeigo just posted this update:

"Next Stretch Goal - Mikimoto Art!

The next stretch goal is at $200k, and if we make it, Mr. Mikimoto will create some new artwork for the packaging. However, due to scheduling constraints, we will have to reach this goal by the end of February in order to implement it. If we reach the $200k goal after that, we'll come up with an alternate add-on for the project."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/megazone-23-omega-edition/posts/2720088

Those that were following the original art level know that went through some craziness. With it selling out and slots being added. Then people cancelling with the news that Mikimoto could only draw certain characters. Then slots being removed. I believe there are still a few available. But still it would be nice to get a possible better or just alternative piece of artwork for this Blu-ray release.

Edited by JetJockey

I don't think any serious member of this hobby expects any other member to post with any kind of regularity. 

Unlike collecting mass-produced toys, that you have several to pick from each month, there are so many reasons why someone wouldn't acquire new cels regularly...with the price of ownership being just one factor among many.  As a result, it is completely understandable that "dry spells" will occur in this hobby.

Don't worry....this thread will be here whenever it is that someone adds to their collection and wishes to share with the rest of us.

But in case any of the cel collectors here wanted to toss some serious coin to their proxy.....

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h451779347

i-img737x607-1580700602lefeik143071.jpg&

Edited by jvmacross

5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I don't think any serious member of this hobby expects any other member to post with any kind of regularity. 

Unlike collecting mass-produced toys, that you have several to pick from each month, there are so many reasons why someone wouldn't acquire new cels regularly...with the price of ownership being just one factor among many.  As a result, it is completely understandable that "dry spells" will occur in this hobby.

Don't worry....this thread will be here whenever it is that someone adds to their collection and wishes to share with the rest of us.

But in case any of the cel collectors here wanted to toss some serious coin to their proxy.....

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h451779347

i-img737x607-1580700602lefeik143071.jpg&

NOOOOO! Come back when I strike the lottery please! This is why I don't come here too often..... oh be still my bleeding heart!

On 2/1/2020 at 6:34 AM, jvmacross said:

Maybe you can actually buy a cel and post it?

:unknw:

Quite true!  As jvmacross explains there is not much inventory especially in the higher end, hence the dry spells that can last many years.   It is also worth noting quite a few older cel collectors simply do not bother to post online.  There is less than TEN collectors on the entire MW forum who post the Macross artwork they own, so the lack of activity in this one tiny forum thread is hardly an accurate indicator of global ownership.  :rolleyes:

@JetJockeyRegarding the Megazone23 Kickstarter old news that you shared, that was a serious screw up by AnimEigo for not confirming well in advance that Mikimoto could not sketch non-M23 characters.  The major marketing for the higher patrons levels was specifically allowing Mikimoto drawing non-M23 characters.  It did not surprise me how many collectors cancelled their orders; I for one did because as entertaining as M23 was, it certainly is not Macross.  So unless you actually paid for an original Mikimoto M23 drawing through the Kickstarter campaign, it really is a moot point even mentioning the possibility Mikimoto may create new art that has literally nothing to do with art you personally own.  Nevertheless, jetjockey if you feel the MW Macross cel and art thread is lacking in activity, please go out and actually buy some original art and share with our community.  We'd all finally enjoy seeing your artwork acquisitions. 

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Hi folks! Long time~ That FB cel reminded me of the cel collection I have been holding on to for more than 13 years now. I have not bought a single cel since but I have not parted with them either.  So I figured I would dust off my binder and browse through them which are pleasing to the eyes.  Some of you who have been here long enough may recall my previous threads from more than 10 years ago that pretty much showed all my collection.  At any rate, the following are the FB cels that I have. The second photo is of two cels overlayed with each other, since I keep them in the same folder.  Enjoy~

20200206_041821.jpg

20200206_041827.jpg

1 hour ago, valkyrie13 said:

The second photo is of two cels overlayed with each other, since I keep them in the same folder.  Enjoy~

20200206_041827.jpg

Very cool effect....actually looks like something that would have been used in a promo spread or the actual film.....looks like you just came up with a whole new way of possibly displaying the cels we already own...not bad for being absent from the thread for so long...lol :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Was that an authentic production cel?  I couldn't tell, and it seemed like the seller wasn't sure, either.  That frame does appear near the beginning of the OVA, but why is this cel a pan cel, and why doesn't it have a letter in the corner?  The description said something like they received the cel from Emotion for preordering the LD.  It sure looks real, but I dunno.  For that price I couldn't take the risk.  

The FB cel origin is highly suspect especially considering how the seller claimed he obtained the cel.  This is the first time I have ever heard an original production cel was given during the pre-order purchase of an LD.  Does anyone know of any other LD pre-orders that historically also gave away original production cels? To my knowledge this did NOT happen with any of the early series: Iczer-1 OVAs, Baoh OVAs, Dangaioh OVAs, GunBuster OVAs, Wicked City, City City Oedo, etc. 

I'm a longtime Macross LD collector (love that big artwork!) and I've never heard of any original cels ever being offered with them. Macross Dynamite 7 included a reproduction cel of the LDs jacket art, but that's it. I don't even think pre-orders were a thing back in the 1987, which is when the Flashback 2012 LD was released. The closest promotions that I can think of were mail-away promotions, such as with the Macross II LDs, which would get you a limited poster if you mailed back proofs of purchase of all 6 LDs.

Considering Flashback 2012's high quality animation compared to the relatively small amount of original animation it produced, I doubt Bandai Visual/Emotion could convince the animation studio to give away cels.