Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

• 1 month later...

His site can sometimes be quite behind on what he actually has. I've had times where I was looking for one that was on the site, but it was long sold out. I maybe at San Diego Comicon, so if I go, I'll be seeing him there as well.

Hey all. Been a while for me. I haven't been super active, but I do keep an eye on things. Its also been quite some time since I've bought anything but I was happy to pick these new ones up yesterday (not at SDCC).

dmzwlmpsme_o.jpg

pjjdnslpcw_o.jpg

eagwnzjpsw_o.jpg

Edited by Mokman

Hey all. Been a while for me. I haven't been super active, but I do keep an eye on things. Its also been quite some time since I've bought anything but I was happy to pick these new ones up yesterday (not at SDCC).

dmzwlmpsme_o.jpg

pjjdnslpcw_o.jpg

eagwnzjpsw_o.jpg

I like the Hikaru cel....nice acquisitions....where did you find them?

His site can sometimes be quite behind on what he actually has. I've had times where I was looking for one that was on the site, but it was long sold out. I maybe at San Diego Comicon, so if I go, I'll be seeing him there as well.

Were there any other premium cels that were available that were on display? They don't seem to update the site as much anymore. I think last year they only updated a few times. Seems like it will be the same this year. Halfway in the year and only one update.

A friend of mine that doesn't collect cels told me he saw stuff at Anime Link in the past that wasn't posted online. I'm talking over $500 scenes. That's why I asked. You never know. Maybe they just put that up for the larger conventions. This happened at comic con some years ago.

They post online what they are ready to sell to the public. That's why I previously confirmed cels that are potentially for sale from all series are posted. In the past they use to have different items at cons that's why IMO the best way to see the cels they have available, is to still attend a con. And yes they have contacts with various production studios, directors, and character designers. This is the primary reason why they are the largest anime cel dealer and they continue to exist despite the vast majority of dealers closing down. Gone are the days when there were 50+ cel dealers internationally.

There are a few good Macross gengas up on Mandarake.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a general animation cel topic but a seller on Yahoo Japan has Dirty Pair OVA opening cels. They put new ones up every week.

Too bad Mandarake no longer lists any Macross cels for direct sale....they all get posted for auction....it's been years since I've seen any listed in their mailorder section...

This is more appropriate I think....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41093

I don't check there that often. Perhaps I should. Much of the cel discussion seems to be here.

I would think these days that if you could do an auction, you would to get the most amount of money. I'm kind of surprised that these Japanese cel dealers don't have eBay auctions. Or at least some kind of US notifier or promotion of upcoming auctions.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n146708697

I think you'll see these on ebay for double the price pretty soon based on the high bidder...

Who is the high bidder?

Yeah that guy is nuts with his prices. I lost a cel to him on Yahoo Japan for 9000 yen, so like 100 bucks. It soon turned up on ebay for over $500. I made him a reasonable offer based on what I know he paid for the cel but he didn't accept. Cel is still unsold.

Edited by Mokman

Yeah...I was told a funny theory by a fellow MWer about that seller....he said that he probably buys the cels and tells his wife they are for "selling" on ebay...the unrealistic prices are in hopes none of them ever actually sell! :rolleyes:

I have no issue with him "buying low, selling high"...but the problem is he doesn't seem to have a grasp of the actual US market rate for the vast majority of his stock.....I am fairly certain that many would easily sell even at doubling of the original purchase price....but he seems to think US buyers are willing to pay 3X or more for cels....I too have offered up to double what he has paid on some of them and he never "bites"....so that theory might actually be true! ^_^

@ JetJockey: Japanese sellers in Japan generally avoid selling cels to foreigners. They do not like to use ebay. Ebay has not been able to successfully penetrate the JP auction market. The most popular auction site in Japan remains YJP (aka Yahoo Japan). Some sellers will specifically state they do not sell to foreigners and others will even go as far as cancelling bids by deputy services (which bid on behalf of foreigners).

@ JetJockey: Japanese sellers in Japan generally avoid selling cels to foreigners. They do not like to use ebay. Ebay has not been able to successfully penetrate the JP auction market. The most popular auction site in Japan remains YJP (aka Yahoo Japan). Some sellers will specifically state they do not sell to foreigners and others will even go as far as cancelling bids by deputy services (which bid on behalf of foreigners).

yeah...there is one seller on YJA that insists that you need to go through some very specific proxy bidder to buy his cels.....incidentally, those cels have been listed and relisted for years! You probably know which ones I am referring to....

jvmacross that may very well be true but it has backfired on a couple of occasions. I have seen him sell a cel or two.

yeah, but the few that he has sold probably made up for all the ones he has purchased and not sold.....he usually does not bid too high as the assumption is he needs to "make a profit" (although his pricing strategy could use some tweaking)...but his latest "acquisition" was sort of pushing his usual purchase price limits....I'm thinking he will list the Hikaru at around $600 and the Isamu at $700 or $800...and if they do sell, I'm thinking we need to form a cel purchasing cartel and split the profits away from him! :p

There's actually many YJP sellers who cancel deputy service placed bids.

As for the price gouger 'urbantreasurehunterjapan', he has successfully sold some cels. The sold cels had significant mark ups so he isn't exactly suffering, yet. But his 'business' practice was fairly common during the YJP cel boom of the 90s. And it's not unlike how the majority of defunct cel dealers operated. Also he might be a private collector (or not) seeking to gouge the international cel buyers. Regardless if he is a collector or not, it is clear he does not understand the extremely niche cel collectors market and he lacks actual industry connections. His 'business' is unsustainable.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I've observed this buyer/flipper as well, sometimes shocked by what he lists cels for on ebay after wining YJP. As has been previously mentioned, he's sometimes handsomely rewarded for his speculations. I've seen some pieces go on ebay for the prices listed or, if memory serves, he's accepted some offers on ebay for a fair amount of cash. I don't think he's usually successful at getting the prime Macross cels off of YJP as dedicated collectors will still go for the good stuff and outgun him. But, it certainly is interesting to see the level of success he's had. It also means that there are a good number of folks who are either oblivious to the existence of YJP, or who don't want to be bothered with the hassle of using a deputy service.

As for the seller on YJP who has banned deputies, I've seen him too! Some of his cels has been up for years. The quality isn't that great, but I imagine they'd sell if he opened up to deputies.

@ JetJockey: Japanese sellers in Japan generally avoid selling cels to foreigners. They do not like to use ebay. Ebay has not been able to successfully penetrate the JP auction market. The most popular auction site in Japan remains YJP (aka Yahoo Japan). Some sellers will specifically state they do not sell to foreigners and others will even go as far as cancelling bids by deputy services (which bid on behalf of foreigners)

I can understand not wanting the hassle of doing business transactions with overseas (language, currency, customs etc), but what's wrong with deputy services? Is it more of a "keep these jewels in Japan" kind of thing?