Just seen Macross Zero and...

Twoducks

Ok, just finished MZ. The battles where incredible but the story needed more episodes IMO. Feels really rushed at the end.

Kinda sad when you see the episode with the ocean floor in it. A few years later all that is vaporized by the Zentraedi.

What's the story behind the whole UN-AntiUN thing?

I never heard or saw anything about MZ until I found MW. This was not the case with M7. Did MZ do bad in Japan? Only now are we seeing images of a supposed toy in production.

Ok, just finished MZ. The battles where incredible but the story needed more episodes IMO. Feels really rushed at the end.

Kinda sad when you see the episode with the ocean floor in it. A few years later all that is vaporized by the Zentraedi.

What's the story behind the whole UN-AntiUN thing?

I never heard or saw anything about MZ until I found MW. This was not the case with M7. Did MZ do bad in Japan? Only now are we seeing images of a supposed toy in production.

315589[/snapback]

Macross Zero was an OVA production , OVA series in japan get minimal promotion as far as I know , unless they get the Movie treatment like Macross Plus had.

IMO the background reason for M0 having such a low profile is the fact that Macross had long been absent of the anime scene since M7 which was , to say the least , controvential and of little effect in terms of reinforcing the fan base or creating a new one. Hence by the time M0 is released anime otakus had little to no interest in the franchise.

Also , Macross Zero caught only the initial steps of mass distributed fansubbing like we see it today and people didn´t notice much of its presence.

That and the most importan of all facts ; we still have no official release outside Japan thanks to we know who.

Also , the lack of a proper and opportune toyline is yet a nother factor for its low popularity , alas , most if not the big majority of the critique online and on magazines have been favourable and possitive for M0 , even from a large % of the fans ( except some people who can´t get over the fact protoculture/over-technology goes beyond mechanical and inertly objects ).

I think it has more to do with the fact that Zero is fairly recent, and as of yet unlicenced over here (as such, there's not that much of an opportunity to hear about it unless you're up in the Macross fan "know." As for 7, it's only controvercial here.

Anti-UN?

Best just to read the back story...

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...1999/index.html

As for why M0 is sitting quiet on the shelf... As said, OVAs are minimally promoted these days. Production values are much higher given the lower episode count. This is why they can afford more work and a looser production schedule. OVAs are not as big as they use to be anymore. There's more dedication to TV series or feature-length movies. The direct-to-video line has died down over the years due to marketing concerns. Looser production values can lead to tighter marketing. Many series are heading to TV land to offset the figures. And as Keith stated, M0 is fairly recent and unlicensed in the US (due to certain legal ramifications) so very few people have seen it. It's not easy to obtain through normal means.

With the toy line, Yamato is moving away from Macross toy line. They do have licenses for toys however, they have yet to fully exploit it. Over the last year, we have heard of a decreasing amount of news from Yamato concerning the Macross toy line. Macross, unfortunately, with time as a factor, has fallen into a smaller niche. With a larger gap between series, decrease in marketing, and the creators moving (and quite busy, working) on other projects, it is very hard for them to get together and continue the franchise. Don't think that this is the end though. Macross will be around for quite a while, but don't expect news to come out every month from your favorite anime-related magazine about it.

315589[/snapback]

Hasegawa is still releasing M0 models, only the vf-0 with ghost booster is left but is planned to be the next after the sv-51 w twin boosters, Yamato planned to produce a 1/100 vf-0 cheap toy times ago but they changed their mind recently and they made a new 1/60 vf-0 with Perfect transformation make a lot of people happy. Not too bad.

My only prob with M0 is the same one I've had with lots of subbed shows lately--namely I can't follow what the heck is going on, because the subbing is so spotty and inconsistent. I just watched an all-subbed copy of Last Exile and I have no idea what the hell I saw.

My only prob with M0 is the same one I've had with lots of subbed shows lately--namely I can't follow what the heck is going on, because the subbing is so spotty and inconsistent.  I just watched an all-subbed copy of Last Exile and I have no idea what the hell I saw.

315911[/snapback]

Mate , don´t waste your time with HK ripoffs , go get yourself a fansub or whatever and burn it to dvd/vcd for your own personal pleasure. :rolleyes:

I just finished watching macross zero as my first macross.  I kinda want to watch the other macross series after watching that, but also kinda not.  I dunno, it was pretty good personally.

315992[/snapback]

I recommend you watch de original series first then Macross Plus , but you can do it in the order you like really. Also try to avoid Macross 7 so you´ll spare the world another M7 hater or M7 lover B))

Also try to avoid Macross 7 so you´ll spare the world another M7 hater or M7 lover  B))

315993[/snapback]

Dumbest. Comment. Ever.

316000[/snapback]

seconded.

316066[/snapback]

hehe, i think he has a point acutally.

for the record. WATCH SDF: MACROSS. its great

What you may have missed in Macross ZERO.

The purpose of the AFOS was to make sure that the Protoculture didn't create another race like the Zjentohlauedy/Meltohlauedy. The purpose of creating humanity was to have a "restart" of culture, as the protoculture ruined their own.

Think of the AFOS as like a artifact or symbol that ancient cultures leave behind... Some are just to honor someone, but some are also a reminder of "what NOT to do." We write books about Hitler not to revere him, but to alert future generations of the horrible potential that one man can have. The AFOS just went a step furthur... Instead of teaching us a lesson, it administered a test. that test being a test of 2 questions...

1. Has mankind achieved space travel. if yes go to question #2.

2. Does mankind still wage war (keep in mind the definition of waging war, and having emotion was probably different to the Protoculture... As the wars they were accostomed to for thousands of years involved completely emotionless beings)? If yes destroy all.

The second Sarah felt an emotion other than rage, the AFOS thought, "oh, I guess they aren't like my creators were, and they also aren't like the Zjentohlauedy or

Meltohlauedy... I guess I should stop killing everything."

How does this fit in with the rest of Macross?

The Protoculture tested humanity in MZero by leaving the AFOS behind.. This was to ensure that humanity wouldn't make the same mistakes that the Protoculture did, by creating thoughtless emotionless killing machines.

Humanity then tested the Zjentohlauedy and Meltohlauedy in the final battle with Bodolza and Laplamez in DYRL (also in SDFM). Some of both sides turned out NOT to be those mindless thoughtless killing machines so they were spared.

Humanity tested itself in Macross Plus by almost making the same mistakes the Protoculture did. Think about it... Humans were going to created automated AI systems that would kill without thought.... Just like the Zjentohlauedy, just like the Meltohlauedy and just like the Protodevlin.

The purpose of the AFOS was to make sure that the Protoculture didn't create another race like the Zjentohlauedy/Meltohlauedy. The purpose of creating humanity was to have a "restart" of culture, as the protoculture ruined their own.

Think of the AFOS as like a artifact or symbol that ancient cultures leave behind... Some are just to honor someone, but some are also a reminder of "what NOT to do." We write books about Hitler not to revere him, but to alert future generations of the horrible potential that one man can have. The AFOS just went a step furthur... Instead of teaching us a lesson, it administered a test. that test being a test of 2 questions...

2. Does mankind still wage war (keep in mind the definition of waging war, and having emotion was probably different to the Protoculture... As the wars they were accostomed to for thousands of years involved completely emotionless beings)? If yes destroy all.

The second Sarah felt an emotion other than rage, the AFOS thought, "oh, I guess they aren't like my creators were, and they also aren't like the Zjentohlauedy or

The Protoculture tested humanity in MZero by leaving the AFOS behind.. This was to ensure that humanity wouldn't make the same mistakes that the Protoculture did, by creating thoughtless emotionless killing machines.

Humanity then tested the Zjentohlauedy and Meltohlauedy in the final battle with Bodolza and Laplamez in DYRL (also in SDFM). Some of both sides turned out NOT to be those mindless thoughtless killing machines so they were spared.

Humanity tested itself in Macross Plus by almost making the same mistakes the Protoculture did. Think about it... Humans were going to created automated AI systems that would kill without thought.... Just like the Zjentohlauedy, just like the Meltohlauedy and just like the Protodevlin.

316181[/snapback]

Wow this is the most intelligent post I have ever read from A1! Seriously good post.

316181[/snapback]

You forgot that the protoculture ruins in Macross 7 would only open if there was proof that the zentradi had been sucessfully reintegrated into protoculture society(or something remarkably close to the protoculture, like humans).

But that may have been an intentional omission as opposed to an oversight on your part.

Rejoice!  For the bi-annual substantive A1 post has arrived!  It is time to celebrate.  For this will not happen again for many moons.  Rejoice!

;)

316232[/snapback]

:huh:

I suppose I am not the only one with a sarcastic child.

Seriously though, I pondered MZero for days after seeing EP.5. I think the ending was a little quick in general, but fit with Plus, DYRL and SDFM so well.

@ JBO:

I suppose one could say that this TEST thing happened in the last EP of M7 as the humanity was tested again and ultimately saved by by the pussy in the red plane, but only the last episode. The rest had nothing to do with nothing. Just selling panty shots of children to the pedophiles and future sexual identity crisis population.

@ JBO:

I suppose one could say that this TEST thing happened in the last EP of M7 as the humanity was tested again and ultimately saved by by the pussy in the red plane, but only the last episode.  The rest had nothing to do with nothing.  Just selling panty shots of children to the pedophiles and future sexual identity crisis population.

316244[/snapback]

That could be argued as a test, I suppose.

Wasn't what I was thinking of, though.

@ JBO:

I suppose one could say that this TEST thing happened in the last EP of M7 as the humanity was tested again and ultimately saved by by the pussy in the red plane, but only the last episode.  The rest had nothing to do with nothing.  Just selling panty shots of children to the pedophiles and future sexual identity crisis population.

316244[/snapback]

316249[/snapback]

I know, but trying to make sense out of M7 is like trying to argue Michael Jackson's case for adopting children.

@ JBO:

316244[/snapback]

316249[/snapback]

I know, but trying to make sense out of M7 is like trying to argue Michael Jackson's case for adopting children.

316251[/snapback]

*chuckles*

Thanks for that excellent post A1!! Now I like (and understand) M0 a lot more.

I downloaded a fansub instead of buying the HK version (was very tempted). Luckily I didn't, the HK sub on MS Gundam 0079 is painfull to read. I'm only on disc four and Amuro has had 3 different names (as well as Zeon, Char, the Gundam itself...) not to mention some absurd sentences here and there.

Good bless fansubbers

Thanks for that excellent post A1!! Now I like (and understand) M0 a lot more.

I downloaded a fansub instead of buying the HK version (was very tempted). Luckily I didn't, the HK sub on MS Gundam 0079 is painfull to read. I'm only on disc four and Amuro has had 3 different names (as well as Zeon, Char, the Gundam itself...) not to mention some absurd sentences here and there.

Good bless fansubbers

316465[/snapback]

Aww, c'mon. Bootleg translations are fun.

I think post macross 7 things are going to get more ghostbuster-ish. I wish it was just guns, explosions, gory death scenes, robots and music.

What I think they should do is assume the events of macross 7 never happened and start again (like with the superman movie or even the batman begins movie which starts again to repair the damage the later batman movies did) and see how they go..

It could be risky, but think of it this way: they already stole the music from macross II and assumed the events never happened then, (and now we won't see toys made :angry: ) so why not do it again this time (say macross 7 never happened) until they get it right and everyone likes it? Everyone will be happy.

Perhaps even make an alternate universe macross like they do with gundam? heh :lol: VF-1 after getting remade would then suit the advance from the vf-0 and look more natural.

I think post macross 7 things are going to get more ghostbuster-ish. I wish it was just guns, explosions, gory death scenes, robots and music.

What I think they should do is assume the events of macross 7 never happened and start again (like with the superman movie or even the batman begins movie which starts again to repair the damage the later batman movies did) and see how they go..

Batman Begins is diffrent, as that universe regularly gets rebooted.

But I see what you mean. Sort of like DYRL, with a movie version of Macross 7. Only this time Kawamori cites the movie as the real version of events and the TV series as a cheezy drama series based on it.

It could work.