F-35 onboard "Big John"

Hoping to check out the Kennedy while in Boston this weekend and they have an F-35 on-deck. (Does she have any Super Hornets?)

I know some of you guys are really into detailed pics of aircraft and was wondering if there were any requests.

Plan on Sunday morning and hoping I don't get rained-out, any other members in the Boston-area going to be able to go? She'll be heading to Fleet Week in NYC next weekend, too.

Here's hoping Mama Nature cooperates......

post-26-1116646200_thumb.jpg

Heck yeah I'd like to see more pics of the F-35. What's it doing there? Everytime I hear about it, it's the perpetual 'several years away' from coming into service. Is it even a Navy version? I assume it isn't going to be flying...?

And if there's any F-14s' still aboard, let's see them. They won't be around much longer.... :(

Heck yeah I'd like to see more pics of the F-35. What's it doing there? Everytime I hear about it, it's the perpetual 'several years away' from coming into service. Is it even a Navy version? I assume it isn't going to be flying...?

And if there's any F-14s' still aboard, let's see them. They won't be around much longer.... :(

There is a Navy version, but I've never seen it. Every show shows the Airforce or Marine version.Not sure if the one pictured is the Navy version or not.

Chris

Edit: After looking at the picture again it does not appear to be the Naval version...the langing gear isn't beefy enough.

Edited by Dobber

Hey the JFK, I did the CSSQT for RAM on that ship, check out my launchers if you can, forward port sponson and aft starboard. That F-35 is quite obviously the Air Force version, the wing span is too small, the landing gear too narrow to be the navy bird. Also it doesn't have the VTOL hump of the Marine JSF.

Saw the RAM launcher on the forward-port side yesterday from the opposite shore. :D

A mock-up? Hmmmm..... interesting.

So it's not even and actual airworthy aircraft?

That bites...

Oh, and she just came back from the Iraq ops.

Yeah, VF has the rights of it, this isn't much more than a shell of a F-35. I've seen some other pics of the carrier as it was steaming in to port with this thing on the deck. It definately raised some eyebrows, but anyone with even a little aircraft knowledge will (upon inspection) see it's not real (no engine or ANYTHING)

Well. I got on Sunday morning with my older digital cam and a very low battery :( , but was able to get a few pics of what was pretty much on overisized pinewood derby entry <_< :

(of not was the silly? sensor fairing under the nose....for looks or actually on the real version?)

F35derby1.jpg

F35derby2.jpg

F35derby3.jpg

F35derby4.jpg

There was a discussion about it deep in the huge aviation thread and the feeling was that it wasnt' needed as the JSF's main enemy would be SAMs.

Better that it's a touch stealthier (and faster) and doesn't get shot at in the first place than has good visibility seems to be the philosophy.

that said, It's never a good idea to design a "fighter" where you can't see someone on your six. I guess, when it ever sees service, that we'll find out if the right call was made.

That may be a mockup, but it it full-size? if so, I never really realised just how small it is.

that said, It's never a good idea to design a "fighter" where you can't see someone on your six. I guess, when it ever sees service, that we'll find out if the right call was made.

I'm applying for OCS for next summer, I reeeeally hope I don't get to find out if the bubble canopy was a bad idea for the for the board :blink:

Edited by Coota0

The JFK is a full fledged Fleet CVN, but then again, I'm not in the Navy.

I think it is CV. The "N" denotes as a nuclear carrier which the Kennedy is not.

I have a buddy flying f-18s on the Kennedy. I think I will send him an email about this.

Any modern day fighter whos main mission is to destroy fighters as a priority should have good rearward visibility. I tend to think the JSF is just a F-117 successor with better defensive capabilities. In no way is it meant to be a definite F-16ADF or successor to the legacy hornet in the fighter and defense roles.

I wonder how well it can take on a legacy hornet in a dogfight. Since there are a few of you here who think it has the potential to be a good fighter.

Are you gonna load up both fighters with full and/or similar combat load?

Everything I've seen says that in the real world the F-35 is gonna be a better fighter. The F-16 looks better on paper, when it's not carrying any ordinance... but such a hypothetical is a cripple fight. Let's talk real world scenarios...

There was a discussion about it deep in the huge aviation thread and the feeling was that it wasnt' needed as the JSF's main enemy would be SAMs.

Better that it's a touch stealthier (and faster) and doesn't get shot at in the first place than has good visibility seems to be the philosophy.

That may be a mockup, but it it full-size? if so, I never really realised just how small it is.

The mock up shown is some wierd amalgam of all JSF versions (similar to the X-35). In actuallyity all but one F-35 version will have pretty good rear visibility. Only the F-35B (the USMC/RAF version) will have it's canopy truncated to make room for a lift fan, and since it's main purpose will be CAS and not dogfighting that shouldn't be a problem.