Revenge of the Sith ROCKED! (spoiler free)

I'm heading to see it tomorrow at noon. My dad is taking me, just like he did with Star Wars in 77. :)

Sounds like I'm really going to love it...

The Phantom Menace wasn't too great, especially since me and a bunch of my buddies sat in line for a long time to make the midnight showing on premiere day.

Attack Of The Clones I thought was okay, but I understand the criticisms this movie received from fans.

I also understand that people hold these things, along with the Ewoks of Return of the Jedi, against Lucas.

Episode 3 was a redemption for Lucas in a way! He made up for Ep.I & II. He still hasn't made up for those blasted Ewoks, however <_<

You'll come away from Ep.3 at the very least liking it. Will it stand better than the best of the Original Trilogy? Time will tell!

You are not supposed to walk out feeling good. That was the rise of the empire and most appropriate.

So technically me feeling GOOD about the ending is a bad thing right? :blink: Because the pope.........I mean........the Emperor is my master.....I admit that freely. However after reading the script...and seeing the movie I was a bit dissapointed by what they took out. And Grevious cheap shot death wasn't as bad as it initially sounds....

SPOILER........

I mean k'mon.....it took more than 1 damn shot to kill him, and my friend wanted to throw up after seeing all the kids gets slaughtered, but I wish there were things in the game that would have shown up in the movie......but Windu got axe'd harshly....very harshly.

But the Darth Vader we see at the end of Revenge of the Sith hasn't been seduced. He's been tricked. He's not a villain. He's a schmuck.

Yes he did initially get suckered, but towards the end, he really started to like the power. I won't go into any more detail since this is a spoiler free thread.

i thought it was a great popcorn flick. so long as you shut your mind down and just enjoy the stunning visuals its loads of fun. but if you really start thinking about the plot and the characters its not very good (aside from obi-wan, the emperor, and R2. They rocked).

i thought it was a great popcorn flick. so long as you shut your mind down and just enjoy the stunning visuals its loads of fun. but if you really start thinking about the plot and the characters its not very good (aside from obi-wan, the emperor, and R2. They rocked).

So let me see if I have this straight. <_<

Lucas makes episodes I and II suck so badly that Howard the Duck would look like Oscar material next to them. Then he makes episode III, and since the fans are drooling for something even halfway decent to come out, they go ooh and ahh over the over-CG'ed battle sequences, bad scripting, and wooden acting, just because this one is a teensy-wessy bit better than Howard the Duck. Then he collects the big bucks off the theatrical release, before monkeying with the entire series again for the DVD ultimate box set of sixteen discs including the six movies, the makings of the six movies, a special on the cultural significance of Star Wars, a special release of THX-1138, the Ewoks TV movies, and a collectable Darth Vader statue all for $200. :blink:

I'll just pass on this one. Lucas raped my childhood enough that I'm not going to go running asking, "Please sir, may I have some more?" just because it's the end of the series. :angry:

Hmmm... I'm a bit of an OT kinda guy, but I admit I really enjoyed Ep III. I'm not totally sure my opinion isn't at least partly due to lowered expectations from the last two prequels, but all in all - it's the first of the prequels that I can see watching more than 2 or 3 times.

Honestly, I really wish (and yeah, I know - it's Lucas' movie, not mine, and he can do whatever he wants... but still I have my own opinion) that the prequels had started around Anakin as a teenager and all three movies were a bit more like this one. ROTS basically delivers all of the "Star Wars vibe" that the last two films didn't. I could see popping it in, then watching the OT and not even bothering with Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

It's not as great as the original trilogy by a long shot to me... but it's got some really wonderful stuff in it.

Except for when Lucas made my beloved Wookies yell like a certain serial icon. That was really just f-ing wrong. Still, no movies featuring Wookies can be anything less than great.

I'll just pass on this one. Lucas raped my childhood enough that I'm not going to go running asking, "Please sir, may I have some more?" just because it's the end of the series. :angry:

You are a moron. Not only that, but your use of the word rape is insulting.

Oh, we're calling people "morons" now for disliking Lucas's vision for the last three movies. Thanks. I missed that memo.

As for you being "insulted" by his use of the word rape. . . it may be lame. . . but "insulting?"

Lighten up, Mr. Sensitive. :rolleyes:

H

Edited by Hurin

Except for when Lucas made my beloved Wookies yell like a certain serial icon.

Please, please tell me that you are referring to RotJ and that he didn't do this again in RotS!

H

Except for when Lucas made my beloved Wookies yell like a certain serial icon.

Please, please tell me that you are referring to RotJ and that he didn't do this again in RotS!

H

Again... and far worse. That bastard.

Why must Wookies lack the respect they deserve? In ANH, Han gets a medal... Luke gets a medal... Chewie gets jack sh*t. Then Chewie gets iced in the EU books. Now Lucas has to keep messing w/ my furry brethren by showing them no respect... it ain't right.

post-25-1116620545.jpg

It takes a galaxy of millions to hold Chewie back!

Oh, we're calling people "morons" now for disliking Lucas's vision for the last three movies. Thanks. I missed that memo.

As for you being "insulted" by his use of the word rape. . . it may be lame. . . but "insulting?" Lighten up, dude. :rolleyes:

H

Lighten up? I have had people very close to me who have been raped, and I see nothing "light" about their pain. Just because some loser fan boy feels that his entire childhood was ruined because Greedo shoots first doesn't make it ok.

Again... and far worse.  That bastard.

Awww crap! I'm sorry, but that's just the last nail in the "Lucas is a cinematically tone-deaf ass-clown" coffin. As if one was needed.

Well, I already have my tickets to see the movie in two hours. Maybe if I rythmically repeat to myself: "They're his movies. He is a genius. My opinion doesn't matter. All his movies are equally good". . . over and over again as some type of mantra until the lights dim in the theater, I may be able to stop myself from rising from my seat and unceremoniously pissing on the screen when I have to hear once again a wookie imitate a movie icon from a far away galaxy in the future.

H

Edit: Fixed orphaned italics tag

Edited by Hurin

Awww crap! I'm sorry, but that's just the last nail in the "Lucas is a cinematically tone-deaf ass-clown" coffin. As if one was needed.

Well, I already have my tickets to see the movie in two hours. Maybe if I rythmically repeat to myself: "They're his movies. He is a genius. My opinion doesn't matter. All his movies are equally good". . . over and over again as some type of mantra until the lights dim in the theater, I may be able to stop myself from rising from my seat and unceremoniously pissing on the screen when I have to hear once again a wookie imitate a movie icon from a far away galaxy in the future.

H

You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any fan boy in history.

Lighten up? I have had people very close to me who have been raped, and I see nothing "light" about their pain. Just because some loser fan boy feels that his entire childhood was ruined because Greedo shoots first doesn't make it ok.

Dude. . . puh-leaze. . .

I'm sorry that you know people who have been raped. So have I. That doesn't mean I now patrol the internet making sure that people don't "misuse" the word.

I also find it odd that, after all the times this has been debated here, you choose to bring this up now. Why weren't you so seriously offended before? I know you've seen the phrase here before. Where were you when we were discussing (at length) rape in Macross Plus? I was trying to convince people of the brutal nature of the act and the fact that no rape probably could have taken place because Myung would never forgive Guld for such a brutal, horrific act. Where were you? I could have used your moral outrage!

But, if you want to be all pissy and pedantic. . . in case you didn't know, there are multiple meanings for the word rape. Buy a dictionary.

• The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
  • The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
  • Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

So, lighten up and go sell your moral outrage somewhere else. Nobody's buying here. I realize you've been bored with MW for a while now. But trying to stir up drama like this is beneath you.

H

You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any fan boy in history.

You really want to start a "who's the bigger fanboy" debate here? :rolleyes:

Okay! :lol:

I wouldn't be so quick to do so given what you've been writing about Star Wars lately though. After all, it appears you were there in line on opening day (or midnight before!). What did you dress up as? Did you read the latest EU novel while in line?

God, you guys crack me up. You dismiss anyone who criticizes the movies as "fanboys". . . but so many of you are sycophantic fanatics yourselves. You kept it under wraps for a while, but now that a new movie is out, you're all quoting EU novels and obscure trivia! :lol:

It has always been my opinion that Guld did not rape Myung. I've stated it on here. And you are still a loser fan boy.

Well, since you obviously have no response other than that pathetic tripe, maybe you'll stop derailing the thread with personal attacks ("moron") and feigned moral outrage at a perfectly legitimate (though lame) use of a word.

:lol:

Actually, no, I went to the 10:15 showing with a friend of mine, and I didn't wait in line. I was wearing khaki jeans and a pull over. Oh, and my Yankees hat. Is that ok with you, fan boy?

Oh God! Make it stop! He called me a fan boy again! I'm devastated!

You've got nothing. :lol:

:lol:

Actually, no, I went to the 10:15 showing with a friend of mine, and I didn't wait in line. I was wearing khaki jeans and a pull over. Oh, and my Yankees hat. Is that ok with you, fan boy?

Oh God! Make it stop! He called me a fan boy again! I'm devastated!

You've got nothing. :lol:

I've gotten you to type more words against me than I have typed period over the last 3 weeks on MW.

All too easy.

Edited by Duke Togo

I've gotten you to type more words against me than I have typed period over the last 3 weeks on MW.

All too easy.

At 80 words-per-minute, it's not exactly hurting me. I can type faster than you can talk. But since I think you may be mildly retarded, that's not saying much.

But, yes, you're correct. Inane ramblings from the thought police do tend to get me typing. Congrats!

Impressive. Most impressive.

Edit: Now don't go defending retarded people, Mr. Sensitive.

Edited by Hurin

It opened here last night in the UK and I went with a bunch (21 to be exact) of people from my office. And of those about 9 (including myself) loved it to bits and appreciated the stunning effects and visualiation of events referred to in the OT. About 3 totally hated it and felt very annoyed, 5 were left feeling undecided and the rest I haven't talked to yet. :rolleyes:

I particualry loved the mecha designs in this film, Ep1 never had anything that really grabbed me, Ep2 started to get some good stuff towards the end but this one has some blinding ships and vehicles.

I also really liked Grievous, for a filler character he was really cool and well done and far more entertaining then Darth Maul.

Looking forward to getting this at christmas.

I just back from seeing it, and I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed. I would put this on par with A New Hope and Empire, and ahead of ROTJ. Just a great Star Wars film that really delivers.

For those who will dismiss all two hours and twenty minutes because of a berely audible one second yell from a wookiee, you are really missing out...

For those who will dismiss all two hours and twenty minutes because of a berely audible one second yell from a wookiee, you are really missing out...

Hehe. Maybe I won't notice the scream then. Thus saving the theater operator the expense of a "urine extraction" line-item showing up on their next screen cleaning bill.

;)

Again... and far worse. That bastard.

Why must Wookies lack the respect they deserve? In ANH, Han gets a medal... Luke gets a medal... Chewie gets jack sh*t. Then Chewie gets iced in the EU books. Now Lucas has to keep messing w/ my furry brethren by showing them no respect... it ain't right.

Chewie gets a medal, he was just too tall for Leia to put the medal on. :D

It has always been my opinion that Guld did not rape Myung. I've stated it on here. And you are still a loser fan boy.

REALLY!!???

Looked like a rape to me. What happened as you see it?

but so many of you are sycophantic fanatics yourselves.

Hurin, why don't you try to restrain yourself from tarring everybody who disagrees with you with the same brush. Nobody is telling you that you *must* like the prequels, or that your opinion *must* agree with the rest of ours. What we *are* trying to get across to you and others who share your opinion (they know who they are) is that you can actually discuss these things without resorting to childish, overblown hyperbole such as "childhood rapings." THAT is the reason that the "fanboy" label gets thrown around, not because you disagree with our opinions. You're free to put on your best Comic Book Guy face and make declarations about the "Worst. ______ Ever." but you should expect to be treated as such. Stupid overreactions like "Raped Childhoods" are a large part of why SF fans get looked down on.

That, and Trekkies. :lol:

Edited by bsu legato

REALLY!!???

Looked like a rape to me. What happened as you see it?

He initially physically assualted both Isamu and Myung, but I think its pretty clear it never went past that.

And I think Bsu hit the nail on the head.

Hurin, why don't you try to restrain yourself from tarring everybody who disagrees with you with the same brush. Nobody is telling you that you *must* like the prequels, or that your opinion *must* agree with the rest of ours. What we *are* trying to get across to you and others who share your opinion (they know who they are) is that you can actually discuss these things without resorting to childish, overblown hyperbole such as "childhood rapings." THAT is the reason that the "fanboy" label gets thrown around, not because you disagree with our opinions. You're free to put on your best Comic Book Guy face and make declarations about the "Worst. ______ Ever." but you should expect to be treated as such. Stupid overreactions like "Raped Childhoods" are a large part of why SF fans get looked down on.

QFMFT :ph34r:

No matter what side of the fence you're on. Though, I do think Hurin has some of the more well thought out posts out of people that I've disagreed with. Sometimes he slips, but all of us do.

QFMFT :ph34r:

No matter what side of the fence you're on. Though, I do think Hurin has some of the more well thought out posts out of people that I've disagreed with. Sometimes he slips, but all of us do.

... Except me.

And I expect more from my son.

Just saw it. Not bad. Not uber great. Has some good moments. Has lots that I'm not a fan of. Entertaining, but flawed in some areas in my own opinion.

Basically if someone has a problem with Lucas's new filmaking aesthetic, all their criticisms would remain largely valid concerning this movie.

It exhibits all of the weaknesses of the previous films: gaudy CG, battles that lack tactical flow, tension destroying slapstick in inappropriate moments, sappy love lines, poor acting, old people doing things they shouldn't be doing and looking silly doing them. It's a prequel film. If you're looking somehow for Lucas to return to the old movies' mood, pacing, atmosphere, and manner of storytelling... you're going to be dissapointed.

But the movie has a few good Star Warsy moments and is considerably better than the other prequels. It does feel like they were trying too cram too much into too short a time... the scenes changed so quickly that it was hard to take any one locale in. And it was hard to emotionally understand why each locale was necessary and significant, beyond being another vehicle to show more CG. I guess that's the price we pay for squandering the last two movies on a kid and crummy love scenes, and I'm not sure there's a way to better pace the movie without cutting some things out. Blasphemous as it may be, it felt like Khasyyyk was totally extraneous.

Gotta say this... even though I have issues with Anakin's character development, his last scene with Obiwan almost made me cry. Mostly due to McGregor.

Was a little underwhelmed by Obiwan and Anakin's saber fight though. Not bad, but I guess I was expecting a bit more. All in all a fun ride.

-Al

Edited by Sundown