SMT Monster... good things come to those who wait

Ahhhh... the 1/100 scale Monster from SMT finally arrived today. Next to the FMMF, this is one of my most anticipated kit releases. Masters designed by our own Gundamhead and brilliantly cast by the folks at SMT. Colin rushed the kit off to me before the instructions, photo image and decals were completed. He promises to send those along when they arrive from the printers.

(I'd like to keep this thread focused on the kit... I'd prefer we don't use this thread to complain about the wait or compare it to the 1/72nd project... use the other threads for that)

The pieces

Monster_1.JPG

The bigger pieces with a 1/72nd scale Valkyrie by Hasegawa as a size reference.

Monster_6.JPG

What's your shoe size?

Monster_2.JPG

"Devil's in the details."

Monster_5.JPG

"Comin' right at ya" ... or "You'll poke your eye out!"

Monster.JPG

Transform? say what? Man thats the REAL deal. TV and movie kind. Not that newer stuff that I dont know anything about.

No decals provided? or did they make them? I know they talked about Decals for the kit.

Ranger565

Edited by Ranger565

Oh crap that thing is "HUGE" and hot at the same time.

Dude, quit checking me out while I take a leak!! :p

Seriously though, that looks incredible. Are there panel lines all over or are the details limited to certain areas? How heavy is it? Are the barrels also resin or PVC?

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Ahh  it's the MK-II, not the VB-6.   

Sorry if this is off topic but -- just where does the VB-6 appear?

the VB-6 Transformable bomber variant of the Monster (fully named the VB-6 "Konig Monster") appeared in the "Macross: VF-X2" video game for Playstation.

I'm with Ranger though... the HWR is the REAL thing! Heavy artillery doesn't need no stinking transformation :)

Edited by Skull Leader

It looks nice, I like how they handled the barrels, they can't warp or bend. Clean looking parts all around. Someone please post a pic of the decals when they come in, I'm curious how they'll look, I know gundamhead made an elaborate sheet for it. Does SMT do good decals?

I think you mean... does SMT do decals well. The answer... they are fine. Usually the decals on the Star Wars kits were decent quality (didn't fall apart on ya), but not too thick.

LTSO

please tell me you are cleaning off ypur work bench and putting this first. I so want to se it built.

Me too... big man is going to the front of the line. Mr. Salzo's X-wing was supposed to be first, but the guy with big guns wins. I am finishing my Fine Molds Slave 1, which is turning out pretty good (for me at least). I'll share pics soon.

Oh crap that thing is "HUGE" and hot at the same time.

Dude, quit checking me out while I take a leak!! :p

Seriously though, that looks incredible. Are there panel lines all over or are the details limited to certain areas? How heavy is it? Are the barrels also resin or PVC?

<_< >_> CRAP!!! I been found out. >_<

Awesome Monster man. I'm pretty speechless at its size. 1/72 scale. What is the weight of that thing.

Awesome Monster man. I'm pretty speechless at its size. 1/72 scale. What is the weight of that thing.

huh... it's 1/100 scale, read the first post again.

Still very impressive, but I'm gonna be patient and wait for that "other" Monster in that "other" scale that should be discussed in "other" threads only.

• 2 months later...

For those of you that got one of these well done. I think SMT may be shutting down, or at least only producing certain kits. Here is the thread over at SSM.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/php...p=393742#393742

I had been waiting to see if SMT were going to be reliable about this one, looks like I may have missed out.

Cheers,

Berttt

For those of you that got one of these well done. I think SMT may be shutting down, or at least only producing certain kits. Here is the thread over at SSM.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/php...p=393742#393742

I had been waiting to see if SMT were going to be reliable about this one, looks like I may have missed out.

Cheers,

Berttt

321399[/snapback]

damn... I wanted something cool to display with my 1/100 die-cast and destroid converion kit :( . If they are discontinuing does that mean somebody might recast it? How much did it go for anyways?

This must completely suck for Gundamhead.  SMT had those masters for years...and now appears to be gearing back?!?!?  WTF!  :angry:

322548[/snapback]

Alfred Wong is getting his masters back. Gundamhead should ask for his back.

It would be a shame if someone started recasting this.

I agree wholeheartedly. I say give them to SSM. Blappy has a wonderful casting setup now. He does really really good work. He could rotocast that puppy very well.

Gundamhead did a great job with the master, but SMT owns it. I suppose we could all chip in and buy the master. Does anyone know how much this master would cost? I doubt SMT truly knows the value of this Monster master... I don't think he got many orders for this kit. That had more to do with the horrible customer service at SMT rather than how good the kit was.

What do ya think?

The title of this thread is misleading :) 

322573[/snapback]

You really need to read through the thread to understand it. I pre-ordered the Monster and I have it now. It is a great great great kit. I don't regret it at all. It's just that it took forever to get it and it doesn't look like they will offer it anymore.

All I'm saying now is that I wish the masters for the kit were in someone else's hands because I think there would be great demand for the kit if it were produced by a reputable caster.

I hope (think) that SMT doesn't own the masters...I think (similar to Alfred) that Gundamhead leased them to SMT for SMT's use. If thats the case then Gundamhead would be getting a per kit charge...which is the basis for my anger. You see, if SMT bought the masters outright, didn't produce them, and closed their doors...well, then Gundamhead got his money. We the fan hurt, but its not an outrage...its business. On the other hand, if SMT took the masters for little or no money down with a committment to pay Gundamhead a fee per kit sold...then took years to get around to doing the kit finding all sorts of other things to do instead...and when they finally had it ready closed up shop...well even if Gundamhead gets his money back he will never have those years back...Macross was way more popular 2 years ago (during the surge) then it is now...based on my guess SMT cost Gundamhead a lot of money....and then after all that to make him start over (even though I love SSM) well, I think that stinks.

I hear ya Jesse. I think SSM would be good for him though because they have higher traffic and even non macross fans on there would buy it for what it is COOL LOOKING! SSM just has a better customer service history at the moment. SMT does replace lost or broken parts it just takes forever,

Feel free to jump in here anytime Gundamhead.

Right now I am tossing up weather to 1/100 scale for destroids, and being able to get one of your kits is the lynchpin of my decision making (stay out of it G72, I know your preference :)).

I'll have to make the "D" soon so it would be good to know what's happening, if that's possible.

Personally it doesn't matter to me that SMT put out good work if you can never get your hands on it. I held off ordering one for just this reason, and I really hope the GH can get his masters back and get the kit out there. SSM sounds like a good idea, John and Linda provide great service and the casting is good, I have some of their StarFury resin guns and they are flawless.

To all those who feel the title of the thread is misleading; read the thread as a whole, I didn't want to start a new topic to discuss this new arising.

LTSO, have you got your decals yet?

Cheers,

Berttt