Nintendo Revulotion

Shocking how Nintendo goes from a fat boxy gaming unit to a sleek, slim boxy style with a neon purple light on the CD drive insert slit.

But looks like they'll go back to full CD scale...maybe they'll be DVD inabled?

I like, I like. :) I must say, all of the new console designs look really good this year. Not to big, not to small. I'm really looking forward to the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Revolution most of all. Really I haven't been that interested in the PlayStation 3 to be honest. It could be that one of my main attactions to Sony was due to the Final Fantasy franchise and RPGs. Since Square-Enix is actually releasing games on both the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo systems again and both Nintendo and Xbox have gotten and are getting even more RPGs from different companies, there really is nothing tying me down to the PlayStation anymore. All of the franchises I like the most and characters are mostly Nintendo made or appear on all the systems.

I wonder if the Nintendo Revolution will play GameCube games. It's all about being backward compatible these days.

It could be that one of my main attactions to Sony was due to the Final Fantasy franchise and RPGs. Since Square-Enix is actually releasing games on both the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo systems again and both Nintendo and Xbox have gotten and are getting even more RPGs from different companies, there really is nothing tying me down to the PlayStation anymore.

Really???? I was not aware at all that Square Enix is releasing FFs for XBOX and NINTENDO!!! If that's the case, for the same reason as you the PS3 is of almost no interest to me now...

~Tico

Edited by Tico0001

i think this is the best looking box of the three new consoles. but is it slanted or is it just that the base holds it on an angle? i can't quite tell from the photos linked above. the usa today article said that nintendo is going with only wireless controllers. interesting decision. at least they've given in and moved to dvd formatted discs. i am glad to see that they will be backward-compatible withthe gamecube.

It could be that one of my main attactions to Sony was due to the Final Fantasy franchise and RPGs. Since Square-Enix is actually releasing games on both the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo systems again and both Nintendo and Xbox have gotten and are getting even more RPGs from different companies, there really is nothing tying me down to the PlayStation anymore.

Really???? I was not aware at all that Square Enix is releasing FFs for XBOX and NINTENDO!!! If that's the case, for the same reason as you the PS3 is of almost no interest to me now...

~Tico

Yeah. One of the news articles on Gamespot says that Final Fantasy XI will be released on the Xbox 360 and Xbox live. Nintendo has already had Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles released on the GameCube with a version coming out for the Nintendo DS. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 have been relased on the Gameboy Advance as was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance(different game then the PS1 FFT but same world). Final Fantasy 3(the NES one not the version that was released on the SNES(that was actually FF6)) will be coming out on the Nintendo DS as well. Both FF1 and 2(released as Dawn of Souls) got upgrades in terms of areas, graphics, and gameplay systems and the DS version of FF3 will most likely be upgraded as well.

The team that made Chrono Trigger(another Sqauresoft game from the SNES days) that is now called Mistwalker are making an RPG for the Xbox.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if FFX, FFX-2, or FFXII was (re)released on one of the other consoles as well. Graphics wise they'd fit right in or could be given an upgrade if they wanted.

Edited by Effect

~Tico

They have only announced FF11 for Xbox360 so far... the online game, you know, the one that was a chore to play? That one lol

LOL, why is Nintendo always the last to adapt to change in the video game wars? It only took them how many years to come up with something that looks like a PS2?! First they stubbornly stuck with cartridge, then this proprietary minidisc, without the capability to play DVDs... now they are finally coming around. DOY!!! Thanks Nintendo, you're only a couple of years late to the older market of game buyers.

LOL, why is Nintendo always the last to adapt to change in the video game wars? It only took them how many years to come up with something that looks like a PS2?! First they stubbornly stuck with cartridge, then this proprietary minidisc, without the capability to play DVDs... now they are finally coming around. DOY!!! Thanks Nintendo, you're only a couple of years late to the older market of game buyers.

Trust me... its just a new shell for the same old mistakes lol :lol:

LOL, why is Nintendo always the last to adapt to change in the video game wars?  It only took them how many years to come up with something that looks like a PS2?!  First they stubbornly stuck with cartridge, then this proprietary minidisc, without the capability to play DVDs... now they are finally coming around.  DOY!!!  Thanks Nintendo, you're only a couple of years late to the older market of game buyers.

Yeah no kidding. The hardware won't matter anything if they keep their marketing focus on lil barnacles and Pokemon as opposed to targeting a wider cash-spending audience. By cash-spending audience, I don't mean the type that have to ask mom if they can go outside and play.

From magicbox :

Nintendo Revolution

Manufacturer: Nintendo

Platform: Revolution

Origin: Japan, US

Launch: 2006

Nintendo of America revealed the next generation console, code-named Revolution at the press conference. Revolution is about the size of three DVD cases, with no visible knobs, buttons or ports for joysticks; it will be compatible with only wireless controllers. The console can be placed flat or vertically like Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Revolution uses a front-loading slot for discs, it accepts full size DVDs for Revolution games and DVD movies); as well as mini-DVDs for backward compatibility with GameCube.

Nintendo will offer full broadband access and free online player matching service for Revolution; the company is also planning to offer downloadable versions of classic Nintendo games, ranging from arcade classics like Donkey Kong to current GameCube titles like Super Mario Sunshine. It is still undetermined the price point for downloadable games.

Nintendo spokesmen Perrin Kaplan said the Revolution is about 2 to 3 times more powerful than GameCube. "It is not all about having 'turbo power’; it is about what you do with it." Furthermore, he said the concept of Revolution is "all-access gaming", the system is easily adapted to by both gamers and designers.

It's a very pretty box and I apprecaite the simplicity aspect, I'm forever tripping over joypad cables and disc trays just irritate me.

Wireless controllers and internet as standard is also a very good move.

I just hope they have some class games lined up for it.

I like what Nintendo is trying to do. Sure you can continue to make games look better and better. There comes a time when you have to concentrate on gameplay which is what Nintendo seems to be doing and they started doing that with the Nintendo DS.

So while the Xbox 360 and PS3 might be 10x + more powerful then their previous systems and will most likely look insanely great it comes down to the gameplay now. I'm sure we've had enough examples of great looking games that played like crap. Same for great looking movies with big explosions and special effects that ended up being crap in the eyes of some. I'm more interested in how some of these games play.

It's at the point now that graphics don't matter in my opinion since all three systems will have great graphics. Gameplay, length of the games, etc is what is important now I think.

I like what Nintendo is trying to do. Sure you can continue to make games look better and better. There comes a time when you have to concentrate on gameplay which is what Nintendo seems to be doing and they started doing that with the Nintendo DS.

So while the Xbox 360 and PS3 might be 10x + more powerful then their previous systems and will most likely look insanely great it comes down to the gameplay now. I'm sure we've had enough examples of great looking games that played like crap. Same for great looking movies with big explosions and special effects that ended up being crap in the eyes of some. I'm more interested in how some of these games play.

It's at the point now that graphics don't matter in my opinion since all three systems will have great graphics. Gameplay, length of the games, etc is what is important now I think.

While this is true, if the DS is an example of Nintendo's innovations in gameplay, I'm far from sold. The majority of the DS games out there are gimmicky puzzlers or GBA ports with an extra screen. I'm tired of Nintendo's "This is new and innovative, so of course everyone must like it" attitude.

Well I don't think they are thinking that way. It seems more like they aren't trying to just go for just the PS2 or Xbox crowd but going after everyone else in hopes of drawing them into the market. Basicly aiming for everyone (including the PS2 and Xbox crowd but not focusing on just them). Which makes sense. Why limit themselves with just one group of people already being divided due to the Sony and Microsoft when you can try to keep your core base and try to attact everyone else since Sony and Microsoft don't seem to be going in that direction.

I agree, the DS games haven't been that great and the launch titles suck at the moment. I've questioend why I bought a DS quite a few times. Yet when I look at games like Nintendo Dogs, and several others I see why I got a DS. Sucks that all the good games or ones that look like they will be great are coming out this summer and fall and people have to wait but still looking forward to them and I think this whole "inovation" thing will take off though I think it already has.

One of the things I saw commented in an article on N-sider.com was that how these type of controls with the Nintendo DS could open things up more to companies that have small development teams. Look at how popular Wario Twisted/Touched type game is. It's nothing but mini-games(either the GBA or DS versions). I'd love to see more, simply fun games come out. I think this might be one of the things Nintendo might be trying to do. Allow for these different type of games to be made. Less work and people needed, means more games made allowing for more people to enter the industry and to build themselves up making for a more interesting market instead of having a few single companies dominate the market producing sequel after boring sequel with just better graphics.

This revloution design is just plain vanilla. B - O - R - I - N- G

Did Nintendo not hire a designer to give this new system some style. It looks like they stuck it in a black case and called it a day. I sure hope the final design has at least some style to it, otherwise Nintendo is just plain lazy and unoriginal.

Kudos, for Nintendo finally pulling their heads out of their butts and using DVD's man!!!!!!! It's about freaking time.

Furthermore, Why are they making the mistake that MS did with the Xbox and requiring you to buy a peripheral to play movies. Nintendo just has freaking issues. They take little steps but never dive in like SONY and MS have. At least there is hope when they release the controller, so let's hope that "it is" revolutionary because so far, the system is not.

I guess Nintendo just does not care and will probably revert to being a kiddie system with occassional Kicha$$ first party games. They will most likely remain 3rd place and have already admitted that the next gen fight is between SONY and MS. Talk about having low self-esteem. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I still give it to SONY to "own" the next generation.

For those of you that are PC harcore gamers, I give you kudos because you must love spending all of that time and money to keep your PC's on the cutting edge and have the latest patches and drivers. I would rather spend that money on Robotech and Macross stuff and more games. Plus, what a pain in the a$$ when PC games crash or don't run correctly man. Give me a console and day. That is true plug and play!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by MGREXX

Well I don't think they are thinking that way. It seems more like they aren't trying to just go for just the PS2 or Xbox crowd but going after everyone else in hopes of drawing them into the market. Basicly aiming for everyone (including the PS2 and Xbox crowd but not focusing on just them).

The problem with that is that, in the days when Nintendo ruled, gaming was a niche hobby. It was Sony and later Microsoft that expanded the market, made gaming mainstream, and brought in the casual players. What other market can Nintendo really take aim at? The people who really aren't into games in the first place? Newsflash: those people still aren't going to shell out $200-$400 for a new console and $50 a pop for games. It's Nintendo's stubborn insistance on NOT marketing to the same crowd as Sony and Microsoft that's left them sitting in third.

Look at how popular Wario Twisted/Touched type game is. It's nothing but mini-games(either the GBA or DS versions). I'd love to see more, simply fun games come out.

I'd love to see more games like that too... but the problem with the DS is that most of the games that come out for it are like that. Those bizzare yet fun and simple games are not enough to carry a console (look at the Dreamcast). Besides, it's not like Nintendo's the only one to have little games like that. Check out Katamari Damacy, Rez, Taiko the Drum Master, etc.

Reason Nintendo doesn't "dive in" like Sony or Microsoft is that Nintendo is 100% a gaming company. Sony and Microsoft aren't, they have gaming divisions. If their gaming divisions loss money which they tend to actually do at times, Sony and Microsoft can simply use money from other divisions of the company to cover those losses. So they can afford to do certain things and loss money in the process just to gain more of the market.

Reports have said that last year Nintendo as a whole with it's games and systems gained a lot more profit then Sony and Microsoft's gaming divisions. That's what you have to compare here. Nintendo as a whole and the gaming divisions of Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo is actually better then those divisions but Sony and Microsoft are still much larger companies due to everything else they do and have done before even thinking about getting into the gaming industry. Nintendo and Sega were better to compare cause both were 100% gaming companies. Which is part of the reason why I think Ninendo isn't even bothering to try and compete directly with Sony or Microsoft cause they honestly can't due to how large both those companies are. They aren't just going up against their gaming divisions money wise. A lot of people forget this have to rethink how they should compare the three sides I think.

LOL, why is Nintendo always the last to adapt to change in the video game wars? It only took them how many years to come up with something that looks like a PS2?!

And Sony stole the design from Atari. Get over it.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=270&st=1

First they stubbornly stuck with cartridge,

Which seemed like a good idea at the time.

The goal was to avoid load times. Which they did quite successfully.

And ROM carts ARE more durable than CDs, which is another plus.

Ultimately, profit margins made it undesirable. It costs a lot mroe to make a ROM cart, which means you don't get as much cash per sale.

then this proprietary minidisc, without the capability to play DVDs...

Oh, boohoo.

DVD player was ONLY an issue for japanese PS2s.

In America, DVD players had been available for over a year at the 100$ level, a third the price of the PS2.

now they are finally coming around.

Make the disk wider, double the capacity. No-brainer. Dual-layer DVD is quite enough currently. 'S why MS is sticking with DVD next gen too.

Revolution only got DVD video playback because it adds MAYBE a penny to manufacturing costs.

DOY!!!  Thanks Nintendo, you're only a couple of years late to the older market of game buyers.

I still say the 'Cube has the best games.

And here's what interests me...

512 MB OF ONBOARD SRAM! A HALF-GIGABYTE OF SAVE SPACE INSIDE THE DECK! I LOVE YOU NINTENDO!

But not as much as I would have if hte XBox hadn't been able to save internally too.

Nice to see things swinging back to the days of the PCEngine and SegaCD, though.

LOL, why is Nintendo always the last to adapt to change in the video game wars?  It only took them how many years to come up with something that looks like a PS2?!  First they stubbornly stuck with cartridge, then this proprietary minidisc, without the capability to play DVDs... now they are finally coming around.  DOY!!!  Thanks Nintendo, you're only a couple of years late to the older market of game buyers.

Yeah no kidding. The hardware won't matter anything if they keep their marketing focus on lil barnacles and Pokemon as opposed to targeting a wider cash-spending audience. By cash-spending audience, I don't mean the type that have to ask mom if they can go outside and play.

So... you're too old for Resident Evil?

RE0 and the RE1 remake are still 'Cube exclusives. RE4 is COMING to PS2, but the 'Cube's had it for sometime now, and the PS2 version is taking a graphical downgrade.

Fact: 'Cube has the largest % of M-rated games of all 3 current systems.

That percent is the operative symbol, though. Microsoft and Sony both have a larger QUANTITY. It's easy to have a higher percentage of M-rated titles when you have the smallest library.

Look, I grew up on Nintendo, and I've tried to support them right up through the DS. I'm tired of getting screwed for my support though with small libraries, little third party support, and ports and remakes of old games.

Edited by mikeszekely

That percent is the operative symbol, though. Microsoft and Sony both have a larger QUANTITY. It's easy to have a higher percentage of M-rated titles when you have the smallest library.

Look, I grew up on Nintendo, and I've tried to support them right up through the DS. I'm tired of getting screwed for my support though with small libraries, little third party support, and ports and remakes of old games.

I'm just saying.

If it's a kiddie system, then how come it has so many M games?

I'm just saying.

If it's a kiddie system, then how come it has so many M games?

I know, I get ya. I suppose I'm just lashing out because I'm a bit frustrated with Nintendo. Like you said before, they're the kind of company you want to succeed, because they only make games. And to be fair, I'm not usually one of the people that pick on Nintendo for their kiddy reputation, either. I'm just tired of blowing money on a Nintendo system to play a handful of first-party titles. They can say 'til they're blue in the face that graphics don't matter, power doesn't matter, the competiton isn't innovative enough, etc etc etc, but there's a reason they've gone from the dominant force in the game industry to dead last.

So far, the Revolution is hands down the best looking hardware design. Simple, but effective. I can't stand the PS3 or the 360 case designs for both practical and asthetic reasons.

Of course, I don't buy consoles based on how the case looks. The games will ultimately be the deciding factor on whether or not I buy one. Nintendo has produced my favourite consoles in the past, so it's likely they'll continue to produce games that make their system worthwhile to me. We'll see. I've been decidedly lacking in enthusiasm for this new console generation. Of course, since I heard that the rumour of Revolution sporting touchscreen controllers was bunk, and in reality it would be touch sensitive buttons, I've been more keen on Nintendo's console than previously.

So while the Xbox 360 and PS3 might be 10x + more powerful then their previous systems and will most likely look insanely great it comes down to the gameplay now.

Having power available for better graphics doesn't somehow mean that gameplay will necessarily be worse. Nor does having a system with lesser capabilities mean that gameplay will somehow magically improve and be inherent to the system.

It's not as if Nintendo putting worse hardware in their next box and settling for worse graphics somehow translates to effort towards how great their games are going to be.

A lesser system does mean you can't have both in the same box, at least compared to more powerful platforms. The whole concept of platforms "trading" worse graphics for better gameplay is marketing spin to cover for a less capable system. Sure, developers might be more motivated to polish substance over style on a system they know can't compete in looks... but in the console wars, I've found that the availability of good gameplay depended more on which and how many developers signed on to develop for a console than the console itself.

Of course Nintendo has some of the greatest game designers and teams locked up tight. But the quality of their games certainly isn't by merit of their systems' lackluster power. If they produced a box that looked 10 times better, their games would be just as good. And much more compelling visually.

-Al

So while the Xbox 360 and PS3 might be 10x + more powerful then their previous systems and will most likely look insanely great it comes down to the gameplay now.

Having power available for better graphics doesn't somehow mean that gameplay will necessarily be worse. Nor does having a system with lesser capabilities mean that gameplay will somehow magically improve and be inherent to the system.

It's not as if Nintendo putting worse hardware in their next box and settling for worse graphics somehow translates to effort towards how great their games are going to be.

A lesser system does mean you can't have both in the same box, at least compared to more powerful platforms. The whole concept of platforms "trading" worse graphics for better gameplay is marketing spin to cover for a less capable system. Sure, developers might be more motivated to polish substance over style on a system they know can't compete in looks... but in the console wars, I've found that the availability of good gameplay depended more on which and how many developers signed on to develop for a console than the console itself.

Of course Nintendo has some of the greatest game designers and teams locked up tight. But the quality of their games certainly isn't by merit of their systems' lackluster power. If they produced a box that looked 10 times better, their games would be just as good. And much more compelling visually.

-Al

I don't think Nintendo's using lesser hardware.

I think it's more that they're intentionally understating their performance gains while the competition is intentionally overstating them.

Nintendo, like Sega before them, is big about trying to quote real-world #s that you're likely to see in ACTUAL GAMES.

This puts them at a disadvantage when going up against Sony's notoriously inflated "optimistic" numbers for a hypothetical tech demo that involves every last transistor in the system in the task of filling the screen with unlit, untextured triangles floating in space.

Yeah we mustn't forget the hype campaign of ps2 launch! :D

At least with XBOX whenever a screenshot of a new game was out, you could tell the system was capable of those graphics and that what you were looking at was not a photoshop-enhanced screen to cover up the graphic weaknesses of the system. Sony would always doctor thier ps2 images to avoid criticisms from those disapointed with its games in the early phases when people would compare screen shots of games with the best the other systems could offer.

But to thier credit sony have delivered a fine portable with psp. Yes given it is just like a ps2 handheld, it at least shows more potential than a portable n64. :D

Power makes a difference to mainly those big developers trying to make the best looking game with the highest detailed environments and most number of objects on screen running at the highest resolutions and smoothest framerates while mainting realisitc physics and creating a convincing atmoshpere. (eg halo 1 blew me away when I first played it - both the gameplay and graphics. I had the same feeling of joy with that as when I first played golden eye on n64)

Atmosphere makes a big difference to me for certain gametypes as it adds value to the experience. I want those environments and characters to look photorealistic and behave convincingly. For this there will always be the pressure to have the most powerful machine. We aren't all ignorant of gameplay though. It's just that you can have your cake and eat it. (good well thought-out gameplay as well as beautiful graphic effects that make you whizz your underpants. Check the outdoor levels of some of the levels in halo - really beautiful. Especially when you know that when you look in the distance it is not flat sceneary but an area that you can be running around in and exists in realtime from where you are. Immersing the player into the world is the key. The first time I used my sniper rifle to shoot enemies from a bridge hundreds of feet in the air beyond the ability of an enemy to see me, was a great feeling. A good optimised engine on a powerful machine helps create that. And lighting effects and what not also contribute both to atmoshpere and gameplay since it is used to encourage stealth tactics that affect how you will sneak up to enemies. Sound too makes a difference as you will not beat the game on legendary difficulty without bing sensitive to enemy hearing and sight.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker