Nintendo Revulotion

I was reading the last couple of pages from this thread and one thing people seem to be getting hyped about is the ability to DL N64, SNES and NES games. But no one seems to be mentioning the part where it says that "fan favorites" will be available to download.

So- out of all the games that you can DL, are any going to be the more obscure ones which I enjoy, like Destiny of an Emperor, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the first one) or other similar titles?

Secondly, it makes no mention of free DL's and, I'm sorry, but I am not going to pay anything for a 20 year old NES game when I can get the ROM and EMU for free on the internet.

Sad to say, there was a day when Nintendo was my system of choice. Now it's last on the list for me. I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo-only game since Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And any cross-system games look and play better on the X-box while PS2 has the most system-specific games that I enjoy.

I wish Nintendo luck, but they'll have to do alot in order to regain my disposable income.

I was reading the last couple of pages from this thread and one thing people seem to be getting hyped about is the ability to DL N64, SNES and NES games. But no one seems to be mentioning the part where it says that "fan favorites" will be available to download.

So- out of all the games that you can DL, are any going to be the more obscure ones which I enjoy, like Destiny of an Emperor, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the first one) or other similar titles?

Secondly, it makes no mention of free DL's and, I'm sorry, but I am not going to pay anything for a 20 year old NES game when I can get the ROM and EMU for free on the internet.

Sadly, Nintendo's yet to clarify their policy regarding this thing.

I'm betting a full library of 1st-party software and some 3rd-party stuff.

Castlevania's likely, based on the GBA Classics series.

Assuming that is indicative of a good working relationship with Konami, that also means Gradius, Contra, and Metal Gear(even if the NES entries ARE best left forgotten).

Tecmo, sadly, isn't very likely. They're decidedly pro-MS right now. So no Ninja Gaidens.

Likely a small fee.

With luck, sub-dollar levels for Nintendo properties, sub-5 for 3rd party titles.

Admittedly, this is a tad pricey for something you can download for free off the 'net, but a lot of people still don't know about emus, and with luck, Nintendo's gonna be using a good emu. All the currently available emus have some issues, particularly with color accuracy.

Sad to say, there was a day when Nintendo was my system of choice. Now it's last on the list for me. I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo-only game since Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And any cross-system games look and play better on the X-box while PS2 has the most system-specific games that I enjoy.

I wish Nintendo luck, but they'll have to do alot in order to regain my disposable income.

Fair enough. Nintendo tends to be my preferred platform. I like the squirrely stuff that the 'Cube's gotten.

Edited by JB0

Surprisingly, Iwata revealed to Nikkei that Nintendo's former president, Hiroshi Yamauchi, was not involved in any way with the creation of the Revolution's controller.

I'm not surprised, look at what that man did to the Virtual Boy? He killed console VR and lost Nintendo one of their best hardware and software developers.

Surprisingly, Iwata revealed to Nikkei that Nintendo's former president, Hiroshi Yamauchi, was not involved in any way with the creation of the Revolution's controller.

I'm not surprised, look at what that man did to the Virtual Boy? He killed console VR and lost Nintendo one of their best hardware and software developers.

I was under the impression that Yamauchi wasn't exactly involved with teh VB either. Way I heard it, the VB was Yokoi's pet project, and he was allowed to do whatver the hell he pleased with it just because he was Gunpei Yokoi.

Actually, as I understand it, Yamauchi had very little to do with the nuts and bolts of the operation as a whole, and just ran the corporate side with an unparalleled ruthlessness. Closest he got to the guts was something like playing Super Mario for 5 minutes once.

You want to know who killed console VR?

Everyone that said "OMG RED GAMEBOY" when the screenshots came out, and refused to even try it.

Edited by JB0

I was under the impression that Yamauchi wasn't exactly involved with teh VB either. Way I heard it, the VB was Yokoi's pet project, and he was allowed to do whatver the hell he pleased with it just because he was Gunpei Yokoi.

Actually, as I understand it, Yamauchi had very little to do with the nuts and bolts of the operation as a whole, and just ran the corporate side with an unparalleled ruthlessness. Closest he got to the guts was something like playing Super Mario for 5 minutes once.

Everyone that said "OMG RED GAMEBOY" when the screenshots came out, and refused to even try it.

339740[/snapback]

There were plenty enough of us that tried the Virtual Boy and thought it sucked ;) Come to think of it, I've never talked to anyone that actually liked it.

339740[/snapback]

There were plenty enough of us that tried the Virtual Boy and thought it sucked ;) Come to think of it, I've never talked to anyone that actually liked it.

339744[/snapback]

Everyone that's played mine has liked it.

The story I heard was that Yokoi wanted to make a full colour virtual home console. Something top of the line for its time. However higher ups at Nintendo told him it had to be a new portable unit, and continually cut funding to the whole project. In the end it was rushed out the door in a form nowhere near what Yokoi wanted it to be.

The Virtual Boy has always been one of those systems that was "cool" to make fun of. I played it quite a bit a few years ago and really liked it, was a shame they never released anything more than a handful of titles for it.

As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo is still alive because of Yamauchi's leadership. Despite being the industry's underdog nowadays, they continue to make a profit and wise management decisions. If Nintendo was lead by the artists instead of the businessment like Yamauchi, they'd be in the financial hell Sega found itself in a few years ago.

I don't know. I gave VB a fighting chance, but in the end, it was simply too blurry and too much of a pain to keep your head up into the eyepiece.

Eventually, I had to chalk VB up as one of Nintendo's lame gimmicks, like that robot whose sole purpose seemed to be putting a spinning top into something else.

Every time I used the VB I always came away from it with a headache and that's just from using it in stores. Since I suffer from serious migraines there was no way in hell I was going to pick up something that pretty much assured me that I was going to get a headache after each use, even as a kid I knew better then that back then. Maybe had they did a better or different job of how you viewed the screen..

The story I heard was that Yokoi wanted to make a full colour virtual home console. Something top of the line for its time. However higher ups at Nintendo told him it had to be a new portable unit, and continually cut funding to the whole project. In the end it was rushed out the door in a form nowhere near what Yokoi wanted it to be.

339766[/snapback]

Mmm... I've never heard that.

It WOULD have been better as a home unit. Especially since it is anyways, essentially. Gotta have a table to set it on, a chair to sit in, and I've only ever used mine off AC(I gather it sucks batteries like mad, though).

I know they couldn't get the resolution they wanted in LCDs of the time. And the blue LED wasn't ready yet, though they could've gotten a more limited color range with red, green, and yellow.

If I were designing one NOW, I'd likely use a cool lightsource(like white LEDs) and twin 854*480 DLPs. Add color wheels for RGB.

Of course, I'd need a major power upgrade to drive the higher-res displays.

May as well take it polygon while I'm at it. They're better suited to 3D graphics.

Wouldn't need as much power as the next-gen systems, since I wouldn't push for every tiny bit of eye-candy, and I'm not going for HD resolutions.

A current-gen system driving my display would do nicely.

Of course, the controller is getting dated. Run with a Saturn Analog Pad knockoff, pr'ly.

Maybe theef Sony's original Dual Analog joystick. I'm not going for a portable, so I don't need a gamepad.

Okay, coming back from Dreamland now...

I don't know. I gave VB a fighting chance, but in the end, it was simply too blurry and too much of a pain to keep your head up into the eyepiece.

Blurry? Mine's always been crystal-clear, and there's nothing in the tech to cause blurriness, unless you don't adjust it right.

Or take glasses off. Thing's designed to be played with glasses if you need them.

Eventually, I had to chalk VB up as one of Nintendo's lame gimmicks, like that robot whose sole purpose seemed to be putting a spinning top into something else.

Heh, ROB.

His sole purpose was ACTUALLY convincing retailers that the NES wasn't another game machine like the ones that'd burned them so badly just 2 years ago.

I'd like to have one, just for kicks.

Already determined that it'd be a VERY cumbersome way to play Gyromite, and I don't even OWN StackUp(much less the ROB parts the game came with).

Every time I used the VB I always came away from it with a headache and that's just from using it in stores. Since I suffer from serious migraines there was no way in hell I was going to pick up something that pretty much assured me that I was going to get a headache after each use, even as a kid I knew better then that back then. Maybe had they did a better or different job of how you viewed the screen..

From experience, there's a few possible headache causes. With workarounds. I only ever got slight headaches, though.

The biggest is the display is 50Hz refresh, with no pixel persistence.

Turning the brightness down helps a LOT on this one. At full brightness you can actually SEE the flicker. At... I think about half... it completely ceases being relevant.

IMO they should've capped the display brightness somewhere below max.

Preferably gone with a faster screen, or a persistent one(like LCDs, and damn the headset size).

The second is depth of the image. That's where the auto-pause forced break feature was supposed to come in.

There's also a depth control in several games that's adjustable. Reducing(not eliminating) the depth of the image helps this one. I can't really describe it well, but there's an odd feeling my eyes get when it's too deep that I use to guide the adjustment.

I actually know what causes this one from some recent research into 3D displays in general.

It's a problem common to all attempts at 3D that don't involve actually projecting a 3D image. The brain gets upset because it's not having to move the eyes to aim at diffrent objects.

If you look at a close object in reality, your eyes point closer together than if you look at a distant object. With a simulation using twin 2D displays, both eyes are staring at the same place regardless of distance, and the brain doesn't like it one bit.

Mis-adjusted IPD could also do it. I can't say I've had ANY experience with this one though. Even the store demos I went through the boot-up adjustment sequence on.

It'd also exacerbate the second cause.

This one was a major problem I saw with the VB at the time. It had a relatively involved setup, and people didn't take the time to go through it. Most people tend to not even read manuals, much less take the time to configure their games.

A modern VB would be almost guaranteed to have auto-adjusting IPD to avoid this, though it wasn't feasable when the system was created.