wyaxyz

Skinny Puppy

Front Line Assembly

Velvet Acid Christ

Ministry

Leather Strip

Favorite song of all time: "Assimilate 12" version" - Skinny Puppy

328286[/snapback]

Majestic, you should check out a band called Destroid. I first checked them out because of the name and they turned out to be a realy good Industrial/Synth-Pop band. I did a post on them here :http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=13238

Edited by Totoro242

Majestic,  you should check out a band called Destroid.  I first checked them out because of the name and they turned out to be a realy good Industrial/Synth-Pop band.  I did a post on them here :http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=13238

328318[/snapback]

I'll check them out, thanks.

Forgot to add 1000 Homo DJs to the list and of course Pigface. I made a custom "Supernaut" bumper sticker out of a Soundgarden: Superunknown sticker. :p

The new Juliana Theory album, Deadbeat Sweetheart, hits stores today.  The first pressing comes with a bonus DVD with four bonus songs... which I conveniently ripped from the DVD, then reburned onto a new CD with the rest of the album.  Anyone else need those four songs in mp3 form, drop me a PM.

328004[/snapback]

I'm surprised there isn't more emo mentioned on MW than just your post. I haven't read completely through this thread in a while, but from what I can recall there isn't that much representation among the favoured bands of most MW members. Emo is so much like J-pop (IMO), but I suppose the lack of mainstream exposure may have somthing to do with it.

328062[/snapback]

I think the irony there is that I was never really into emo to begin with. But the Juliana Theory is from my hometown (they say Latrobe, because everyone knows Latrobe because of Arnold Palmer and Rolling Rock, but we're actually from Greensburg, about 20 minutes west of Latrobe). In fact, I remember when they were all in different bands, and the Juliana Theory was a side deal. I'd gone to a show at St. Vincent College to see Pensive (Brett and Chad's other band at the time), and it turned out the be the Juliana Theory's first show. I've been hooked on them ever since. It's kinda wild to go from buying a demo cassette recorded in Brett's basement at a small show in a hole-in-the-wall club to being able to pick up their studio-recorded CDs at your local Target.

I think the irony there is that I was never really into emo to begin with.  But the Juliana Theory is from my hometown (they say Latrobe, because everyone knows Latrobe because of Arnold Palmer and Rolling Rock, but we're actually from Greensburg, about 20 minutes west of Latrobe).  In fact, I remember when they were all in different bands, and the Juliana Theory was a side deal.  I'd gone to a show at St. Vincent College to see Pensive (Brett and Chad's other band at the time), and it turned out the be the Juliana Theory's first show.  I've been hooked on them ever since.  It's kinda wild to go from buying a demo cassette recorded in Brett's basement at a small show in a hole-in-the-wall club to being able to pick up their studio-recorded CDs at your local Target.

328510[/snapback]

That's certainly a rarity. A person sees so many live acts, yet so few really offer anything and fewer still actually make it anywhere. It's even worse when you really like an act that never makes it or suffers bad luck. Best of luck to them.

• 4 months later...

redwhiteandcrue01.jpg

Mötley Crüe: Red, White & Crüe

Mötley Records/Hip-O Records, 2005

Roster

Vince Neil - lead vocals

Mick Mars - guitars

Nikki Sixx - bass

Tommy Lee - drums

John Corabi - lead vocals (1992-1996)

Randy Castillo (1950-2002) - drums (1999-2002)

Track Listing

Disc 1

1. Live Wire

2. Piece of Your Action

3. Toast of the Town

4. Too Fast For Love

5. Black Widow

6. Looks That Kill

7. Too Young to Fall in Love (Remix)

8. Helter Skelter

9. Shout at the Devil

10. Smokin' in the Boys' Room

11. Use It Or Lose It

12. Girls, Girls, Girls

13. Wild Side

14. You're All I Need

15. All in the Name of...

16. Kickstart My Heart

17. Without You

18. Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)

19. Same Ol' Situation (S.O.S.)

20. Dr. Feelgood

Disc 2

1. Anarchy in the UK

2. Primal Scream

3. Home Sweet Home ('91 Remix)

4. Hooligan's Holiday (Brown Nose Edit)

5. Misunderstood (Successful Format Version)

6. Planet Boom

7. Bittersuite

8. Afraid (Alternative Rave Mix)

9. Beauty

10. Generation Swine

11. Bitter Pill

12. Enslaved

13. Hell on High Heels

14. New Tattoo (Single Version)

15. If I Die Tomorrow

16. Sick Love Song

17. Street Fighting Man

Lowdown

Mötley Crüe - quite possibly the rowdiest band to come out of the hair metal scene back in the '80s. With their potent mix of metal and punk, the quartet from Los Angeles, CA, have rocked the world with cult hits like "Too Fast For Love," "Shout at the Devil," "Girls, Girls, Girls" and power ballads like "Home Sweet Home" and "Without You." But perhaps as notorious as their songs is the fact that three of the members were married to Playboy Playmates at some point (Vince was with Heidi Mark, Nikki was with Brandi Brandt and Donna D'Errico, and we all know about Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson).

But like every major metal band, Mötley Crüe had their low points when the '90s came. In 1992, Vince was fired from the band. Three years later, former The Scream vocalist John Corabi (now a guitarist for RATT) took over the helm. The band's releases with Corabi - Mötley Crüe and the Quarternary EP - did little to win back their popularity, as their attempt to adjust to the grunge scene was well below expectations.

Vince's life outside Crüe was worse. In 1984, he was involved in a deadly car accident that killed Hanoi Rocks drummer Nicholas Dingley. He was charged with DUI and vehicular manslaughter, and was sentenced to 30 days in jail. Ten years later, Vince's daughter Skylar died of cancer, prompting him and his ex-wife Sharise Ruddell to sue Rocketdyne for dumping cancer-causing chemicals near their former home in Simi Valley, CA.

Of course, what's a rockstar's life without experimenting with drugs? In 1987, Nikki overdosed on heroin and was declared legally dead on arrival at the hospital. However, two shots of adrenaline literally "kickstarted his heart;" hence the song that's praised by car and motorcycle enthusiasts.

In 1997, Vince rejoined the band, but it wasn't a comeback that everyone expected. Generation Swine was met with lukewarm reviews. Even though it was the original lineup, it just wasn't the Crüe of old. The 2000 release New Tattoo didn't do too well, either. For that CD, the late Randy Castillo (who worked with Ozzy Osbourne) took over for Tommy, who still felt uneasy working with Vince.

And after a long string ups and downs throught the last two decades, Mötley Crüe regrouped in 2005 to kick off a worldwide tour. And in celebration of this reunion, the band released their most definitive compilation CD: Red, White & Crüe.

The first disc takes you way back to the band's headbanging hits. You can't help but crank your car stereo up to songs like "Piece of Your Action," "Wild Side," "Kickstart My Heart," and "Dr. Feelgood." Disc 2, on the other hand, is a mixed bag. The first three tracks are still classic Crüe, but the rest is hard to follow. Even the last three tracks - which are new recordings - just don't live up to the band's old recordings.

Nevertheless, if you're a long-time fan of hair metal, Red, White & Crüe makes a great addition to your collection. If you just started listening to Mötley Crüe, this compilation is a good way to take the plunge before exploring their other albums.

Rating: B+

Links

Mötley Crüe

Edited by areaseven

All 80`s in general :  Cure, Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, A-Ha, Kim Wilde, T-Pau and the list goes on ... , I also like to listen to some of 70`s music plus I`m also a Heavy Metal freak my No.1 metal band : Iron Maiden, my favorite album - Somewhere in Time.

293033[/snapback]

Yay! Have you heard any of A-Ha's new stuff, or any of their not-well-known old songs like "I've been Losing You" or "The Swing of Things" or "Stay on These Roads"? Some people think they are a one-hit-wonder, but they have a lot of great songs. And they're HUGE in Norway. :D

328027[/snapback]

Wow, when I first got into pop music as a kid, Scoundrel Days was my favorite tape. Must have played the crap out of it on my little tape recorder. I should get the CD...

I've since gone through many phases (R&B, speed metal, 60s/70s rock), but am currently reliving my hair metal youth (I have Steve Vai, Queensryche, Ratt, etc. on rotation in my car). Also enjoy some newer stuff (Franz Ferdinand, Killers, Strokes).

Anyone in SF area going to the Anthrax concert this Friday? Original lineup is back! Still debating on if I'm going, need to hit the gym to limber up for the mosh pit. B))

Wow...now I'm feeling old already. Just found out that the band Velvet Revolver consists of Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots), Slash (Guns 'N' Roses), Duff McKagan (GNR), Matt Sorum (GNR) and Dave Kushner (Jane's Addiction). I'm debating on whether or not I should buy their debut CD Contraband, as I've only heard "Slither." For those who have the CD, is it worth buying if you're into old-school GNR and STP?

Axl Rose really needs to admit that Guns 'N' Roses is dead.

327163[/snapback]

I was stoked to get Contraband being a big former GN'R and STP fan, but the combo doesn't quite work - I think Scott's voice can't hang with double-hummer ax attack (gets drowned out), and a lot songs would realy benefit from someone like Axl wailing on vocals.

And yes, I feel old too :)

I was stoked to get Contraband being a big former GN'R and STP fan, but the combo doesn't quite work - I think Scott's voice can't hang with double-hummer ax attack (gets drowned out), and a lot songs would realy benefit from someone like Axl wailing on vocals.

And yes, I feel old too  :)

361939[/snapback]

Yeah, you can't beat the original deal, that's for sure...

*snip*

I've since gone through many phases (R&B, speed metal, 60s/70s rock), but am currently reliving my hair metal youth (I have Steve Vai, Queensryche, Ratt, etc. on rotation in my car). Also enjoy some newer stuff (Franz Ferdinand, Killers, Strokes).

361933[/snapback]

Franz Ferdinand is quite good. I was kinda skeptical, but I've listened to their latest album owned by a friend and found it to my liking.

I was was watching my friend's Southern Cross DVDs recently (yeah, I know), and noticed the score from most of the fight scenes was a rip-off of the Police's Synchronicity II. Pretty Cool :) , I also got into the Police as a kid, since my older sister had all their stuff.

All 80`s in general :  Cure, Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, A-Ha, Kim Wilde, T-Pau and the list goes on ... , I also like to listen to some of 70`s music plus I`m also a Heavy Metal freak my No.1 metal band : Iron Maiden, my favorite album - Somewhere in Time.

293033[/snapback]

Yay! Have you heard any of A-Ha's new stuff, or any of their not-well-known old songs like "I've been Losing You" or "The Swing of Things" or "Stay on These Roads"? Some people think they are a one-hit-wonder, but they have a lot of great songs. And they're HUGE in Norway. :D

328027[/snapback]

Wow, when I first got into pop music as a kid, Scoundrel Days was my favorite tape. Must have played the crap out of it on my little tape recorder. I should get the CD...

Anyone in SF area going to the Anthrax concert this Friday? Original lineup is back! Still debating on if I'm going, need to hit the gym to limber up for the mosh pit. B))

361933[/snapback]

I still got the tape of scoundrell days... and same as you I played it very often when I was a kid. :)

• 4 months later...

bestof01a.jpg

The Best of Poison: 20 Years of Rock

Capitol Records, 2006

Roster

Bret Michaels - lead vocals, guitars

C.C. DeVille - lead guitars

Bobby Dall - bass

Rikki Rockett - drums

Ritchie Kotzen - lead guitars (1993)

Blues Saraceno - lead guitars (1994-1996)

Track Listing

1. Talk Dirty to Me

2. I Want Action

3. I Won't Forget You

4. Cry Tough

5. Look What the Cat Dragged In

6. Nothin' But a Good Time

7. Fallen Angel

8. Every Rose Has Its Thorn

9. Your Mama Don't Dance

10. Unskinny Bop

11. Rock and Roll All Nite

12. Ride the Wind

13. Something to Believe In

14. Life Goes On

15. Stand

16. The Last Song

17. Shooting Star

18. We're An American Band

Lowdown

Poison - one of the cornerstones of hair metal in the history of music. They weren't raunchy like Mötley Crüe or anarchistic like Guns 'N' Roses. Instead, they were more light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek to the point where you could hardly take their songs seriously. The quartet from Los Angeles, CA (Bret, Bobby and Rikki were originally from Harrisburg, PA), have rocked the world with decadent chart hits like "Nothin' But a Good Time," "Talk Dirty to Me" and "Unskinny Bop," as well as the unforgettable #1 ballad "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."

Of course, like every rock band out there, Poison had their share of tragedy and drugs throughout their career. Cocaine and alcohol addiction marred C.C.'s interaction with the band to the point where he and Bret got into a fist fight at the 1991 MTV Music Video Awards. Shortly afterwards, he was fired and replaced by Ritchie Kotzen.

The band's first and only album with Kotzen, Native Tongue, was released in 1993. It signaled Poison's dramatic change of style, as songs like "Stand" featured more serious and political tone. However, the CD flopped, and irreconcilable differences led to the band ousting Kotzen.

In 1994, Poison hired Blues Saraceno to take over as guitarist as the band started recording their sixth album Crack a Smile. Unfortunately, production of the album ground to a halt when Bret was involved in an accident that totaled his Ferrari and broke his nose, jaw, ribs, fingers and four of his teeth. One year later, he fully recovered, and the band continued recording the album. But with hair metal out of the music scene in favor of grunge, Capitol Records put the album's release on hold and, instead, issued Poison's Greatest Hits: 1986-1996.

Then in 1998, Bret and C.C. finally settled their differences, and C.C. rejoined the fold. Crack a Smile...and More! was released in 2000 with additional demo tracks and samples from the band's performance on MTV Unplugged. At that same year, Power to the People marked the original lineup's first studio recording in over a decade.

Well, it's 2006, which means it's been 20 years since Poison debuted. And to celebrate, Capitol Records has released a new compilation featuring newly remastered versions of the band's greatest hits. The Best of Poison also includes the KISS cover "Rock and Roll All Nite" (from the 1987 movie Less Than Zero) and the band's version of the Grand Funk Railroad classic "We're An American Band." Compared to the previous Greatest Hits CD, this compilation is more fun to listen to, especially on the road.

With hair metal making a comeback, it's definitely worth giving your music playlist a shot of Poison.

Rating: A-

Links

The Poison Web

Blast from the past.  Don't care for hair metal myself, unless it's GNR's old stuff.

404604[/snapback]

Too bad we'll never see GNR regroup ever again, as Axl Rose is busy suing his former band members (who are now part of Velvet Revolver). There's still GNR, but it's not the same.

Once Chinese Democracy is finally released (IF it will ever be released), expect it to flop.

Wow, thanks for the lowdown 7. Does this collection have videos also? That would seal the deal for me, although I get the feeling I'll keep reaching for my Wal-Mart copy of Guns n' Roses: Welcome to the Videos instead...

Wow, thanks for the lowdown 7.  Does this collection have videos also?  That would seal the deal for me, although I get the feeling I'll keep reaching for my Wal-Mart copy of Guns n' Roses: Welcome to the Videos instead...

404658[/snapback]

Sorry, no videos on this one.

Blast from the past.  Don't care for hair metal myself, unless it's GNR's old stuff.

404604[/snapback]

Too bad we'll never see GNR regroup ever again, as Axl Rose is busy suing his former band members (who are now part of Velvet Revolver). There's still GNR, but it's not the same.

Once Chinese Democracy is finally released (IF it will ever be released), expect it to flop.

404657[/snapback]

Sad indeed, though some bands just have too many problems. GNR was pretty much one of those bands that couldn't prevent the self-destruction. Kind of ironic considering the subject of so many of their songs. In fact, I recall a quote from Rose on the subject, comparing GNR's problems to what Oasis suffered at the height of their career.

I must admit, I would very much like to listen to Chinese Democracy once it's released (if ever). The album has become an anthropological curiosity of rock music. I can't recall any situation like this in which an album has been in production for over a decade.

Sad indeed, though some bands just have too many problems.  GNR was pretty much one of those bands that couldn't prevent the self-destruction.  Kind of ironic considering the subject of so many of their songs.  In fact, I recall a quote from Rose on the subject, comparing GNR's problems to what Oasis suffered at the height of their career.

I must admit, I would very much like to listen to Chinese Democracy once it's released (if ever).  The album has become an anthropological curiosity of rock music.  I can't recall any situation like this in which an album has been in production for over a decade.

404666[/snapback]

It's called procrastination. The album's done. Let me rephrase that - the album's been done for over a decade. Axl just wants to piss off GNR fans by not releasing it.

Edited by areaseven

Maybe Axl knows that anything post "Appetite" isn't worth listening to, with the exception of Don't Cry and a handful of other songs...

As for me being black I listen to 70's ,80's, 90,s Smooth R&B, Old School Rap from the 80's and 90's (none of those new age artists are true gangsters like Tupac and Biggie) J-Pop and some Anime Soundtracks. A liitle bit of rock, smooth Jazz, Gospel and music you hear in video games.

My favorite rap artists:

Tupac

Biggie

Eazy-E

Bone thugs and harmony

Tiwster

Po Pimp

Snoop Dogg

Timbaland

Eminem

Paul Wall

Ice Cube

Dr Dre

Run DMC

Will Smith

Edited by Phalanx

At the moment I'm listening to the most: Mogwai, Boards of Canada, Explosions in the Sky, Radiohead, Gomez, Thievery Corporation, Kid Loco, Kruder & Dorfmeister, The Dining Rooms, Queens of the Stone Ago, Doves, Supergrass, Lemon Jelly, Plaid, Massive Attack, etc

so mostly ambient electronica, rock and post rock.

You know what's funny? I grew up on 80's hairbands. Def Leppard and Queensryche were my absolute favorites, but I also enjoyed Blue Murder, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Winger, Motley Crue, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc.

But now? It's not that I don't like them... throw on something from Def Leppard's Hysteria album and see if I don't sing along. It's more like I lost interest. So even when they come out with new albums, I can't bring myself to be interested.

Oddly enough, what I do listen to these days might be considered trendy today, but the genre was more or less underground indie stuff back when I was in high school.

Anyway, look in my car and you'll find

Anything and everything by the Juliana Theory

Futures by Jimmy Eat World

Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World

From Under the Cork Tree by Fall Out Boy

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out by Panic! At the Disco

Mmhmm by Relient K

Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge by My Chemical Romance

Based On a True Story by The Starting Line

Alive III by Kiss

Loud by Timo Maas

But now?  It's not that I don't like them... throw on something from Def Leppard's Hysteria album and see if I don't sing along.  It's more like I lost interest.  So even when they come out with new albums, I can't bring myself to be interested.

404866[/snapback]

I stopped listening to hair metal for almost five years before I started working at RadioShack last year. Hair Nation 23 on the Sirius Satellite Radio demo unit convinced me to get into it again.

Aside from The Best of Poison, I also purchased Def Leppard's latest CD Yeah!, and I'm in the process of reviewing it.

As far as losing interest, it depends mostly on the band. Bon Jovi is a clear example. Anything after New Jersey or Blaze of Glory (especially Keep the Faith, These Days and This Left Feels Right) is pretty bland, though I'd probably give Crush, Bounce or Have a Nice Day a chance.

I listen to music all day at work. It ranges from Stan Getz to Integrity, from Beastie Boys to Air and from Dire Straits to Gorillaz.

Some of my alltime favorite albums are;

The Who- Tommy (The original recording by the band)

Tool- Lateralus

Portishead- Dummy

Sepultura- Chaos AD

Woven Hand- unnamed

Tool is my current favorite. I can listen to it all day and everyday.

Hmm, as for metal bands that I can think of at the moment, for example

Carcass

Arch enemy

Meshuggah

Megadeth (Rust in piece, one of the best albums ever imho)

newest Children of Bodom

Emperor

Arcturus (Aspera hiems symfonia)

Strapping young lad's new album. even though it's pretty weird stuff

Sepultura...

Oh, I guess I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Jason Becker & Marty Friedman's Cacophony is real shredding madness. And their soloalbums. I dig them a lot.