music

wyaxyz

I like old Metallica..

Metallica in any era = YAWN.

I can tolerate some of their songs (not One though, hate that garbage) but ever since the Napster stuff and the business with orchestras, forget it.

Taksraven

I wouldn't call this World Music exactly. It is Persian maybe, but with synths and a beat.

Try Delerium (pre-1994), Synesthasia, or Noise Unit. They have some similar songs, though there music generally does not have the Middle Eastern sound.

*Edit: Also reminds me of Peter Gabriels Passion album a bit. If you havent heard it, go buy it- its brilliant.

I personally would have suggested Enigma or The Orb from maybe 91-96ish, but those are great as well.

You and Yours", a British radio consumer affairs program broadcast on BBC Radio 4, has aired a segment on the fan-generated controversy over the audio quality of METALLICA's new album, "Death Magnetic". Among those interviewed for the show was Ian Shepherd, a mastering engineer and DVD author at Sound Recording Technology (SRT).

Ted Jensen, the engineer who mastered the album at Sterling Sound in New York, recently responded to fan complaints that the CD is too loud and the audio is pushed to distortion levels by writing, "I'm certainly sympathetic to your reaction, I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case the mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me, I'm not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else."

Mastering is the process of preparing and transferring recorded audio from a source containing the final mix to a data storage device, the "master," from which all copies will be produced.

Blame for the sound quality has been laid at the feet of the band itself, producer Rick Rubin and his recording engineer, Greg Fidelman.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=106612.

The CD version sounds like its pushing through the speakers. Its too loud. There's no depth to it. The drums sound muffled.

Edited by dejr8bud

All this talk about Metallica and AC/DC releasing new albums over the past month, and I can't believe we all overlooked the new album by Queen + Paul Rodgers, which is due for release here in the U.S. on October 28.

Now, I love Queen music as much as the next guy, and it's no surprise that Queen was one of Iron Maiden's influences (just listen to any live version of "Sanctuary"), but a part of me says that Queen died when Freddie Mercury died, and even further when John Deacon retired for good. Of course, Brian May and Roger Taylor are two of my all-time favorite musicians, but half of Queen just doesn't equal to them calling themselves Queen.

Of course, the same could be said about KISS, The Who and the Rolling Stones, but the bands still have their core members. Queen, on the other hand, is a different story. Though each member made huge contributions to the band's career, it was Mercury who made the lion's share of the songs that made Queen what it was. The band's versatility in incorporating different genres made them legendary, especially with the songs written by Mercury. Most of May and Taylor's compositions were primarily hard rock, which is awesome. But it just isn't Queen without Mercury and Deacon.

Not to say that Queen + Paul Rodgers is a bad idea; it's just something that shouldn't be done on a permanent basis. Even to this day, I'm still afraid to pick up Return of the Champions.

The first single is a well-written ballad. The second one, on the other hand, just doesn't feel like Queen. It sounds too much like Tenacious D's "The Metal."

"C-lebrity"

Queen wasn't just Freddy, but i really only like them as a whole, anything after freddy isn't interesting for me, no way knocking the remaining members of course.

Freddy was the best! (been to 3 queen tribute bands, absolutely would die to be around when he was going strong)

Just glad Metallica is keeping their sh^t together, i love this new album, it's refreshing! Like how they mixed little tidbits of their older songs in with the guitar play.

Would Metallica be the same if Lars wasn't around?

All this talk about Metallica and AC/DC releasing new albums over the past month, and I can't believe we all overlooked the new album by Queen + Paul Rodgers, which is due for release here in the U.S. on October 28.

Now, I love Queen music as much as the next guy, and it's no surprise that Queen was one of Iron Maiden's influences (just listen to any live version of "Sanctuary"), but a part of me says that Queen died when Freddie Mercury died, and even further when John Deacon retired for good. Of course, Brian May and Roger Taylor are two of my all-time favorite musicians, but half of Queen just doesn't equal to them calling themselves Queen.

Of course, the same could be said about KISS, The Who and the Rolling Stones, but the bands still have their core members. Queen, on the other hand, is a different story. Though each member made huge contributions to the band's career, it was Mercury who made the lion's share of the songs that made Queen what it was. The band's versatility in incorporating different genres made them legendary, especially with the songs written by Mercury. Most of May and Taylor's compositions were primarily hard rock, which is awesome. But it just isn't Queen without Mercury and Deacon.

Not to say that Queen + Paul Rodgers is a bad idea; it's just something that shouldn't be done on a permanent basis. Even to this day, I'm still afraid to pick up Return of the Champions.

The first single is a well-written ballad. The second one, on the other hand, just doesn't feel like Queen. It sounds too much like Tenacious D's "The Metal."

I know that its not nice to say to members of a band "Just because your lead singer is dead your band has to end", but in some cases it is really hard to watch a band go on after such a death.

Queen is a good example. Another one is INXS. Even The Doors are still trying to make a go of it, as if anybody could replace Jim Morrison. Its a difficult situation for those involved and there are no easy answers.

Taksraven

Just glad Metallica is keeping their sh^t together, i love this new album, it's refreshing! Like how they mixed little tidbits of their older songs in with the guitar play.

Refreshing that they use bits of their older guitarwork in the songs?? :wacko::wacko:

Would Metallica be the same if Lars wasn't around?

If Lars wasn't around it would not be too difficult for the remaining band members to go to the zoo and buy a new monkey. (joke)

You're in Australia. Did you see the episode of RAGE on the ABC in the 1990's when Lars programmed the music for the night? I wish I still had the tape so I could put the clips up from it on youtube. Lars demonstrated what a metalhead he was by programming clips from other hardcore metal bands like C&C MUSIC FACTORY. I think that Metallica lost a few fans that night. I am just indifferent to them, but they are money-grabbing pigs.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Refreshing that they use bits of their older guitarwork in the songs?? :wacko::wacko:

If Lars wasn't around it would not be too difficult for the remaining band members to go to the zoo and buy a new monkey. (joke)

You're in Australia. Did you see the episode of RAGE on the ABC in the 1990's when Lars programmed the music for the night? I wish I still had the tape so I could put the clips up from it on youtube. Lars demonstrated what a metalhead he was by programming clips from other hardcore metal bands like C&C MUSIC FACTORY. I think that Metallica lost a few fans that night. I am just indifferent to them, but they are money-grabbing pigs.

Taksraven

lol i take it your not a fan. :p Yeah money grabbin, but i like the music atleast. Who cares who the band is, as long as the beat is good.

I guess i worded it wrong (with a little nudge of u putting words into my mouth lol / all good), the music is alot different compared to recent albums, just that i liked their use of old stuff banged in special spots for the new stuff just for fans..

Nah didn't see the Rage epi, glad i didn't!

Never seen them live, hope to maybe next year if they got a spot booked.

Bands that i like and never seen live and want to see live are -

Muse

KoRn

Metallica

& most of all - King & Jester (but i'd have to be lucky and travel to St Petes where they frequently do gigs)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Bands that i like and never seen live and want to see live are -

Muse

OMG, GO AND SEE THEM THE NEXT TIME YOU GET THE CHANCE!!!!!

I saw them the last two times that they toured Aus and they are BRILLIANT live. Outstanding performers.

There you go, a band that we both have a common interest in. See ya in a Muse moshpit someday.

Taksraven

Yeah bloody aith mate! Muse are like... GoDS. I listen to their Live Paris concert (bonus cd with one of their albums) and it quite honestly

astounds me how damn good they are. His voice is, f'n unbelieveable! :lol: My missus and i loved their latest album. See ya there. (Bris) :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 2 weeks later...

After over a decade of delays (well, mostly procrastination, the way I see it), Axl Rose (sorry, but it's just not Guns N' Roses without Slash, Duff McKagan Izzy Stradlin and Matt Sorum)* will finally release the much talked-about Chinese Democracy album on November 23 exclusively through Best Buy.

You know what this means - Free Dr. Pepper for everyone in America (except Slash and Buckethead).

(*Yes, Steven Adler was the original drummer, but let's face it - Sorum's a better drummer.)

Guns N' Roses - "Chinese Democracy"

Guns N' Roses Official Site

After over a decade of delays (well, mostly procrastination, the way I see it), Axl Rose (sorry, but it's just not Guns N' Roses without Slash, Duff McKagan Izzy Stradlin and Matt Sorum)* will finally release the much talked-about Chinese Democracy album on November 23 exclusively through Best Buy.

You know what this means - Free Dr. Pepper for everyone in America (except Slash and Buckethead).

(*Yes, Steven Adler was the original drummer, but let's face it - Sorum's a better drummer.)

Guns N' Roses - "Chinese Democracy"

Guns N' Roses Official Site

Not meaning to wish ill will on Axl or any Gunners fans, but I hope that it bombs, only because it would be poetic justice. Axl is a millionaire anyway, what does he care.

On a happier note, I have tickets to the Soundwave festival in Sydney next year and the headliners are Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains and the Bloodhound Gang! Yay!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. KISS co-founders Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons have mentioned that there will be no new KISS material in the foreseeable future. So, just to please their Japanese fans (or at least grab a quick Yen out of them), the current lineup (with Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer, who have replaced Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, respectively) re-recorded 15 KISS classics on one CD. The result is nothing short of disastrous.

It's a sad state of affairs when most KISS tribute bands sound better than this re-recording. At least the new Journey still sounds like classic Journey...

KISS: Jigoku Retsuden ~New Recording Best~ (地獄烈伝~ニュー・レコーディング・ベスト~) (Listen at your own risk!)

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. KISS co-founders Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons have mentioned that there will be no new KISS material in the foreseeable future. So, just to please their Japanese fans (or at least grab a quick Yen out of them), the current lineup (with Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer, who have replaced Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, respectively) re-recorded 15 KISS classics on one CD. The result is nothing short of disastrous.

It's a sad state of affairs when most KISS tribute bands sound better than this re-recording. At least the new Journey still sounds like classic Journey...

KISS: Jigoku Retsuden ~New Recording Best~ (地獄烈伝~ニュー・レコーディング・ベスト~) (Listen at your own risk!)

Ya I heard this awhile back...its awful. I'm surprised this hasn't been released here yet...considering they will sell just about anything..

I've been a fan of The Supersuckers for a couple of years now. If they come to your town, I highly recommend seeing them. They are excellent showmen and their music is awesome. Go to The Supersuckers. They have a new album coming out near the end of this month and there are free downloads at their site.

B))

Growing up I loved euro-synth pop like Erasure, A-ha, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, New Order, OMD, and similar groups. I'm surprised how many people say they like Joy Division but don't mention New Order.

Ah, I still love these bands. OMD just recently reunited for some live tours and they are purportedley releasing a new album :)

Gary Numan is touring Aus. Anybody reckon that it would be worth going? Anybody seen him live recently?

Taksraven

I really liked Dominion Day a lot, but the follow up wasnt that good so I stopped buying his new stuff. Has he done anything good lately?

So...did anyone here pick up Chinese Democracy (and their free Dr. Pepper) today?

YAAAWWWNNNNN. Nope. Would have been more impressed if it had been packaged with a copy of Duke Nukem Forever.

Taksraven

So...did anyone here pick up Chinese Democracy (and their free Dr. Pepper) today?

I listened to the album a couple times, no Dr. Pepper for me as that offer is only good in the US.

Chinese Democracy sounds like a Use Your Illusion III that Axl's been working on for the last 15 years. It's listenable and some part are actually pretty great, but it's not amazing and obviously can't hold a candle to the original efforts by GnR.

I listened to the album a couple times, no Dr. Pepper for me as that offer is only good in the US.

Chinese Democracy sounds like a Use Your Illusion III that Axl's been working on for the last 15 years. It's listenable and some part are actually pretty great, but it's not amazing and obviously can't hold a candle to the original efforts by GnR.

Overproduced is the word I would use to describe it. This weekend there was a lot of old GnR on the radio, and the original stuff...the real stuff...really stands out against any of the tracks from Democracy by virtue of how much simpler they were. Hell, the title track for Chinese Democracy probably has more tracks on it than the entirety of Appetite For Destruction.

That said, it actually is tolerable, and in some cases actually good. I think it would have had a lot more cred if they had just called what it really was: Axl Rose & Some Random Session Musicians. Guns N Roses this ain't.