Which one is more popular? 1/60 or 1/48?

broadcast

Alright, the 48s are great, the problem is they are expensive and are starting to get rare. So if you see one you want, get it. The 1/60 are good, lower price and more available. This line however hasn't had any new additions, pretty much stopped. The 48's are the same pretty much as well but a GBP is in the works.

Edit: Reviews Here are some reviews by Graham, check under the 1/48 A sample for a comparison.

Edited by Hurricane29

In my humble opinion, There is no equivalent to the 1/48.

As far as popularity goes: A small minority still stand by the 1/60s or the old Bandai 1/55s. But, really, I think many of them are emotionally attached to them via nostalgia, or they are using other criterea to judge than most would use (putting price before coolness!). I don't think even those who prefer the 1/60s could objectively assert that the 1/48 isn't a superior toy where perfect transformation and sculpt are concerned. Yes, they could assert durabilty or nit-pick one small portion of the 1/48 sculpt. But, on the whole, the vast majority recognize the 1/48 as being the ultimate valkryie toy/replica.

And, in this case, I think the majority is right.

I had just started getting 1/60s and 1/55s when I got my first 1/48. I sold all the others (except one 1/60).

I'd get the 1/48s first. I can't imagine someone having a 1/48 first and then saying: "Oh wait, I need all those smaller, less-cool looking ones now!" Though, I'm sure it's happened. :)

With luck, you'll get a few 1/48s and that will sate your VF-1 hunger. Your wallet will thank you!

H

I would also suggest getting a 1/48, but choose one based on your budget. I'd recommend a Max, Roy or Hikaru reissue. The second and third releases tend to be cheaper IMO. You might even find one listed here on MW used, which is every bit as good provided the seller on MW has a good history. Good luck and welcome. :D

there was a max reissue? also on the 2nd and third reissues, they have all the improvments. Unless you are a hardcore collector avoid the 1st issues of the 1A hikaru, and 1S roy.

Edited by GobotFool

The 1/60's are still good if space and budget are issues. The 1/48 is king however.

I would also suggest getting a 1/48, but choose one based on your budget. I'd recommend a Max, Roy or Hikaru reissue. The second and third releases tend to be cheaper IMO. You might even find one listed here on MW used, which is every bit as good provided the seller on MW has a good history. Good luck and welcome. :D

there was a max reissue? also on the 2nd and third reissues, they have all the improvments. Unless you are a hardcore collector avoid the 1st issues of the 1A hikaru, and 1S roy.

oddly, the first hiakru 1A isnt that bad.. sure the wing flaps tend to pop off, and the nose cone falls off more easily... but it didn't have the crooked skull emblem that the Roy 1S did... sides... my 1A hikaru is tighter in transformation that any of my other 1/48s.

I don't know. It could be that only macrossworld people think 1/48 is the most popular. There might be a whole mass of fans that aren't coming here but who've been buying 1/60 scale because it's more affordable since 1/48 are too expensive for them.

Apart from all the other bonuses of being superior in most things to the smalleer scale, I prefer the 1/48 for thier perfect transformability. Having legs that detach isn't as cool as having a massive swing bar keeping the whole toy together. I think I remember some people saying that because the legs detach from 1/60s it was a negative point to be considered if you were going to get the yamato 1/60. (some people really place importance on perfect tranformability.)

If some toy company were to say release a variable glaug or something I would want perfect transforms in sacrifice of slightly less poseable bot mode. (cuz it kind of proves to a person looking at the toy that it is 'not cheating' in its transformation. What I mean by this, is if they don't see the legs physically detach in the cartoon/anime they will think the toy "isn't realistic". We know some kind of detaching actually takes place from design works, of course but 'they' might not and wonder why the legs have to come off to create the bot mode. Unless some toy company recreates the detaching mechanism in the lineart to be as realistic as possible for the toy.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

1/48's are the way to go :) ,but for the price that the 1/60's are going for right now, I'd say they're alright. Maybe I'm just one of those people who are easy to please, but the detachable legs don't bother me none. OR maybe I just not a big fan of those swing bars ;):D !

OR maybe I just not a big fan of those swing bars ;):D !

The detachable legs wouldn't bother me quite so much had Yamato not designed the hips with those huge bulges housing the joint. They're every bit as much an eyesore as swing bars, but without the bonus of perfect transformation.

Certainly, if you can afford both, that would be great. I would have bought a line of 1/60s if I had gotten into the toys earlier but 1/48s are enough for me.

Not everyone may be able to afford a line of 1/48s was what I was saying, so it might be a bit of a risk if these do poorly and not enough buy them. If they are popular, that may increase the chance we start seeing more in the 1/48 line though.

Everyone has a different price range though. If the 1/60s (less risky?) did poorly, we may not have seen the 1/48s. Now that 1/48s are here, if more buy them up we might see more support for this scale. I see it as a case of the price being the main obstacle. Most people probably want this scale but have to settle for the 1/60 if thier pocket is taking too much of a massive hit with each one. (as opposed to being because they believe the 1/48 is inferior in any way)

If your priority is to "get everything in a line" than it may even be less attractive to get 1/48 because of a percieved belief that there will never be as complete a range of different valks released for this line. (similar to how evryone wants to see a masterpiece megatron because they are impressed with masterpiece prime. Not necessarily being a line of stuff and more like a one-off for the anniversary)

I tend not to think of expensive stuff as being "collectible" ie you intend to fully buy a complete set of something (like the banpresto cheapies) so am happy if not everything was released for me to buy. But that's just me.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The 1/60 Super/Strike Parts are not sold separately like the 1/48s. They only come with the 1S Strike, the three TV 1J Supers, and the VE and VT (but they both have their own, different setup). In fact, most of the 1/60 line will not even accept the Super/Strike Parts without modification.