Sousei no Aquarion.

I just finished the first part of Aquarion: Wings of Betrayal.

#$%$&@#!@#$@!!!! O_______________O

Totally freaking awesome. It's a retelling like DYRL? and Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea so watching the series first always gives you a better idea of what's going on but it can stand on its own too fairly well. A lot things have been changed, for example the Assault type is now the standard Deva mech, yay! And there are lots of them, pretty much every character gets one. Too bad you don't actually see who's else is piloting the vectors together with the main characters, only their names are mentioned and just for one unit. Also Sirius...

Spoiler: He is dead from the very start.

It seems that was done to give the spotlight to Reika and introduce the new character, Scorpios. I don't see why else this change would be neccessary. Unless there's something for him on the next part which I doubt from I saw on the preview.

The animation is fantastic! Satelight has come a looooooong way since Arjuna. There are a few scenes that used animation from the series and it feels a little out of place since they're not as smooth and detailed as the rest of the OVA. Otherwise perfect.

Now I just gotta wait for the second part, Wings of Glory, comin this fall. =D

Its a retelling, as linx put it so well, its just like how DYRL? was a retelling of Macross and Girl In Gaea was for Escaflowne.

I think the OVA was more in-line to what Kawamori had in mind with the series. Aquarion minus all the "useless" episodes of the TV series and just concentrated with the "meat" you'll get the OVA.

You can still see the "tree hugging hippiness" of hory froating head in the OVA, but its done quite well with less cheese. Assault Type Aquarion gerwalk mode (Armageddon mode i think its officially called) gets more screen time.....awesomes!

There seems to be a switch in roles in terms reincarnations but i think its just to mislead the audience for now.

SPOILERS:

This was the strange bit in the TV series cuz they needed 3 people to pilot the Aquarion but in the TV series it seemed to imply only Apolonius and Cerianne were needed to pilot it 12,000 years ago. Guess they included Scorpius in as the 3rd pilot and the great betrayer of man-kind and to take on the role that Sirius was supposed to fill, since Sirius is already dead in the events of the OVA. Not sure if Silvia is really Scorpius or Cerianne for now but it seems to imply Silvia is Scorpius for now. Reika as one of the important reincarnations doesn't sit well with me. I never liked her from the TV series and neither now.

Its a retelling, as linx put it so well, its just like how DYRL? was a retelling of Macross and Girl In Gaea was for Escaflowne.

No way, this is clearly a movie within the Aquarion universe, probably filmed some 40 years after the events of the TV show. You can tell by looking at it, and by looking at it you can tell. I'm right, you're wrong, bomba, etc...

:lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thread revival!

Ok, first it seems FUNI will release Aquarion in two boxsets, $50 each according to Anime on DVD forums. Sounds like a good strategy to me and that way I won't have to wait for the individual releases.

Second! I just finished Wings of Glory... I got mind raped. But it was an awesome mind rape. I watched it raw so I didn't get the specifics of the story. Many changes from the series but all good. In fact, the OVA might actually be connected to the series. Can't wait for subs.

So anyone who gave up on Aquarion just watch the OVA. It takes all the good stuff from the tv series and makes it its own story.

Second! I just finished Wings of Glory... I got mind raped. But it was an awesome mind rape. I watched it raw so I didn't get the specifics of the story. Many changes from the series but all good. In fact, the OVA might actually be connected to the series. Can't wait for subs.

Why would you watch it raw? There was a fansub of it ages ago.

FANSUB

Er... you know I'm the guy that first linked to the OVA 1 subbed... I'm talking about OVA 2 which is also the conclusion of the story. ^^;

Have a couple of screenshots:

aquarion2ova000zf7.th.jpg

aquarion2ova03hk4.th.jpg

Ah, I'm glad to say

Sirius stays dead.

but I'm not so glad to say

gay angel Toma gets pregnant.

Edited by LinxCrossq

Well, after looking around, it looks like all the torrents are either non english or raw, so I'm taking it the movie was just released for episode 2?

I'd say give it a few weeks and it'll be released.

I just happened upon the first episode over the weekend and watched it. Not bad, I'm never surprised though that Kawamori's work always turns into an alternate universe from series to movie.

Yeah the second episode was released a week ago. The first one had a fansub fairly quickly, so hopefully it'll come soon ! AFAIK they also released the two OAVs as one single movie a couple month ago in theater too.

I really loved the first part - and I'm glad that eck, unlike Escaflowne he pretty much kept the same feel with the alternate retelling, much like he did with DYRL. (Escaflowne is probably ma favorite anime series -ever- ; I was rather... shocked by the movie to say the least :/)

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

Just seen it. Not sure if they mistaken the translation since it should be Taiyou no Tsubasa or Solar Wings/Wings of the Sun...not Wings of Glory.

By the end of the OVA what was the message I got? 3somes are good....love between just 2 people is not a good thing. Share it with someone else for balance. :lol:

I not sure if i interpreted the ending correctly:

But is the last scene actually the story from the TV series' perspective since it says that due to the "world creation punch" another world was greatly affected? If so , Kawamori must love his alternate universes and this time provided some sort of rationalisation to it.

Finally saw part 2. I loved it :lol:

I wonder if the movie version has any difference with the two OAVs...

As for the ending...

Yeah... I was left with the impression that the ending of the movie lead to the beginning of the series - haven't seen it in a while though so I'm not sure

-Sergorn

Yeah seen both now, TV and OVA and it left me going "Evangelion?" with a hint of "Dual Parelle Story" or whatever.

I don't recall though if the TV series started out like it did in the end of the OVA, I guess it could of. Only problem is, there was never any mention of Scorpius in the TV series, it was always Apollonius and Celian.

• 2 months later...

Just watched the second part of the OVA. Weirdo story aside, the action scenes were absolutely spectacular, and really makes me look forward to Macross Frontier. The lacklustre character animation kind of put a damper on the otherwise stunning visuals, but I've kind of learned to live with that in anime of recent years (saw some of that in MacF too).

The first US boxet is up for pre-order with a release on March 11th with a MSRP of $53.99 for 13 eps. Extras include:

-Interview with Shoji Kawamori(!)

-Tokyo International Anime Fair 2005 Talk Show with cast and crew

-Tsugumi’s "All about CG!" Series

-Textless Songs

-Trailers

Now if they would bring more of Kanno's kick ass orchestral goodness to the states, not that I don't already have the Japanese releases....

• 3 weeks later...

The first episode dubbed is streaming now on IGN.

http://anime.ign.com/articles/857/857882p1...mp;RSSid=857882

Also the Aquarion movie is out RAW and I glad to say it's just not the two OVA episodes pasted together. It's more like the M7 movie, that is like an extra tv episode. It focuses more on the crazy hippy moments with some great LOL moments. I really hope FUNI will also get this movie along with the OVA.

I watched this first set last week. And while I agree with some complaints I've heard about way too many training episodes, I'm really liking the show so far. It reminds me of my favorite parts of Nadia & Escaflowne meshed together.

As for the OVA & movie, Funi's pretty much said it depends on how well the TV series sells.

Also the Aquarion movie is out RAW and I glad to say it's just not the two OVA episodes pasted together. It's more like the M7 movie, that is like an extra tv episode.

Remember that the movie of Macross 7 was shown together with the Movie of Macross Plus. Also, even the movies of Pokemon were shown together with comedic shorts. It may be a Japanese format. I think Ippatsu Gyakuten-Hen is just a short, a special if you wanna call it, but the proper movie is still the 2 OVAs merged.

By the way, the OVAs rocked and so did Ippatsu Gyakuten-Hen.

FV

Edited by Final Vegeta

Remember that the movie of Macross 7 was shown together with the Movie of Macross Plus. Also, even the movies of Pokemon were shown together with comedic shorts. It may be a Japanese format. I think Ippatsu Gyakuten-Hen is just a short, a special if you wanna call it, but the proper movie is still the 2 OVAs merged.

By the way, the OVAs rocked and so did Ippatsu Gyakuten-Hen.

FV

Is Ippatsu gyakuten-hen the "weird" one shown with the movie? And I haven't seen it yet, but I though the movie was more like Macross Plus, and they mixed OVA, TV and a bit of new footage together.

I believe the main movie is titled "Hymn of Triumph".

• 2 weeks later...