Star Trek film in the works

uminoken

I hope this one won't get locked as well but....

http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1764

Paramount's got Erik Jendresen writing the next Star Trek script. It's set after Enterprise, before Kirk, with a whole new cast. The guys main credit is lead writer on HBO's Band of Brothers so the script at least should be good. It has potential, last guy who did a Trek movie and wasn't a fan was Nick Meyer and we all know how he turned out. Personally I think they should leave Trek to the novels and maybe dust it off in a few years, but we'll see.....

Wow, since the last one was SO good, I am sure this one will be a smashing success. I wonder where on the scale of suck it will be. Actually they have toped out when it comes to lameness, if only they would put the crew in pink panties and nipple clamps... Then it would be as stuupid as Macross7.

"I read an interesting piece online about the relevance of Star Trek," Jendresen said. "It posed the idea that maybe it's not relevant anymore. It was an impressive argument, but a fine story is always relevant, and I think solid storytelling that's rooted in the absolute spirit of the original series is what it was all about to begin with."

Wisdom. It's not the age of the license, not the freshness of the concept, not who's playing what, it's all about how good the story is.

gotta love that logic... hmm.. tv prequel sucked and got canned.. oooh, I know, let's make a movie exactly like it but different! yeah!

<_<

With a diffrent writer and diffrent cast, too.

Surely no one can object to a new writer, though I personally LIKED the cast of Enterprise.

Screw this prequel crap. That horse has been beaten. Let's go ahead and either let the franchise rest for a few years, or move onto the Enterprise J, K, L or whatever and try a fresh take. Or hell, let George Takei and the Excelsior have a movie.

But what does it really MATTER when it's set?

Honestly, what makes the average Voyager story and the average Kirk story diffrent, aside from writing quality?

Okay, so skip Borg and Holodeck episodes. But that still leaves a lot of room.

I'll take anything as long as it has a good story, something that Trek has been seriously lacking lately.

I think using "good story" and "Trek" in the same sentence is some gross violation of international law or something. The mods might want to review that statement.

Hippie! :ph34r:

If it is like Band of Brothers style of Star Trek movie... I don't mind paying $11 CDN to watch it. :lol:

That's completely insulting to Band of Brothers. That's like mentioning Marlon Brando and Freddy Prinze Jr in the same sentence.

Honestly, what makes the average Voyager story and the average Kirk story diffrent, aside from writing quality?

I guess what matters the most is character development and iconic status. Has the original crew had their day in the sun? Yes. Has the Voyager timeline been done to death? Yes. Did they compeletely wussify the Borg? Yes. Has the prequal timeline been done? Yes, and they did it poorly. Why not go back to their roots with some new ideas? I've been a Trek fan since I was a kid and that interest has definitely waned in the years after TNG. To me they have two viable options: Give it a rest already. Give the franchise a break. Come back in 10-20 years and try again with a new gen of fans. Or go back to the era that started the show off and create a new captain with a new crew and bring back the short skirts and the red shirt security guys! I'm really pulling for the former rather than the latter...

Exactly. Although the settings affect the visuals, and I've always perferred the TMP era visuals and designs over the TNG stuff, and I wish they would do some more late Kirk-era stuff, with or without his Khaaaan-ness. But assuming the next Trek movie would stink just because the last one did is an odd premise. If we followed that, then Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact would never have been made.

Star Trek isn't dead. It's just been done badly for a good while by folks who don't share Roddenberry's vision.

Or hell, let George Takei and the Excelsior have a movie.

YES!! Or heck, an entire series! Please! Before his transformation into a prune is complete.

-Al

Guess we've got 2 Star Trek topics about the same thing goin now.....

I hope Jenderson just slipped up and he really meant the movie's between Archer and Kirk. Although a 'Right Stuff' style movie might not be too bad. It's been awhile since we saw any realistic space program in the US in an exciting (and good) light. (Planetes doesn't count)

To all those people saying 'they aren't following Roddenberry's vison' well neither had the crew who made Star Trek movies 2 and 6, by far the best in my opinion. When ST 2 was in the works Roddenberry hated that Starfleet might have a military setting and didn't like the idea of ship-to-ship combat, but it's arguably the best thing to happen to the ST universe since it's creation. When movie 6 was screened for him, Roddenberry said he hated the racist angle, but most fans of that movie say it was good because it touched on ideas like racism and intolerence. Most of ST's best episodes (of all the series) have been in conflict with his utopian vision, but that's what made them strong plots. Roddenberry was great at creating new worlds and new civilizations, but people aren't in the peaceful mindset anymore.