New Robotech pics from Kunicon

Umm, in order for it to be considered an OVA, it first has to be an ANIME.

You realise, anime simply means cartoon, right?

And opera means musical.

Anime is the Japanese word for animation, so technically any animation is "anime." Not to mention anime is written as アニメ、in katakana, as it is a word derived from a foreign language (French, I think?) so saying that it can only be used for indigenous Japanese animation is rediculous. It's commonly used in the U.S. to only describe Japanese animation, but really animation is animation and in the Japanese meaning cartoons are cartoons.

Sorry Sean, gonna have to disagree with you. Those maybe the roots of the japanese words as used by them but in the english speaking world anime=japanese cartoons just like manga = japanese comic books. Dark Horse is having a Manga Month in the current Previews, that doesn't mean they are pushing all their titles with that promotion, just the ones they are importing from japan. The line becomes blurry when you think of Mac 0 and Blue Skies though (Wonderful Days) which we would consider animes, though they are from Korea, but retain Japanese animation production values. Then again so did the Sentinels, well it was suppose to anyway but didn't come close. :lol:

also if you go into blockbuster or tower and ask for the anime section, they won't take you to the Disney section...

Edited by >EXO<

I'm happy to report that I have absolutely no idea who Janice Em, Vince Grant, and Alex are. I'm also content to remain in blissful ignorance  :D

Graham

You do not know how lucky you are, my friend.

Actually, I did once sit through Sentinels, but once was enough and never again. I think I was so traumatised afterwards, that most of it is blanked from my memory, which I why I had no idea about those character names.

The only things I vaguely remember are bucket head Britai, Hikaru and Max in spandex superhero uniforms......the horror, the horror.

Graham

Vince Grant is Claudia Grant's younger brother. In the original storyline he was a Destroid commander.

Ah, you mean Edgar La Salle? :D

Did he at least die in that POS of a movie or whatever it is ? if Edgar died then that would be only good thing HG came to produce.

OH WAIT IT AIN¨T EDGAR !!! :rolleyes: , Silly me , it´s just a ripped off copy like everything else from HG :p

Vince Grant is Claudia Grant's younger brother. In the original storyline he was a Destroid commander.

Ah, you mean Edgar La Salle? :D

Did he at least die in that POS of a movie or whatever it is ? if Edgar died then that would be only good thing HG came to produce.

OH WAIT IT AIN¨T EDGAR !!! :rolleyes: , Silly me , it´s just a ripped off copy like everything else from HG :p

How can Vince be a copy of Edgar if he was created over 10yrs before Edgar?

Sorry Sean, gonna have to disagree with you. Those maybe the roots of the japanese words as used by them but in the english speaking world anime=japanese cartoons just like manga = japanese comic books. Dark Horse is having a Manga Month in the current Previews, that doesn't mean they are pushing all their titles with that promotion, just the ones they are importing from japan. The line becomes blurry when you think of Mac 0 and Blue Skies though (Wonderful Days) which we would consider animes, though they are from Korea, but retain Japanese animation production values. Then again so did the Sentinels, well it was suppose to anyway but didn't come close. :lol:

also if you go into blockbuster or tower and ask for the anime section, they won't take you to the Disney section...

Just because people misinterpret the word in our country doesn't mean that's what it really means. By that same token you should go up to a Japanese anime fan and call ourself an "otaku," I'm sure they'll get a kick out of that.

It's really just stupid semmantics, and I'm aware of what the perception of "anime" and "manga" is in the U.S. (hell, in the U.K. Japanese animation is often called manga thanks to the popularity of a large anime releasing company...).

In this case, refusing to call the new Robotech series "anime" is just fanboy anal-retentiveness, when you consider a Japanese production studio is involved and moreso when you realize just how much "Japanese" animation is actually animated in Korea and other south east asian countries.

The only things I vaguely remember are bucket head Britai, Hikaru and Max in spandex superhero uniforms......the horror, the horror.

Better get your eyes checked, Graham. I don't remember a Hikaru, Max Jenius or Britai in The Sentinels.

Ah, but to the pure Macross afficianado, especially one who has never been corrupted by the likes of Robotech or its aborted sequel, those characters will always remain to be Hikaru, Max, and Britai, no matter how much someone tries to tell you they aren't. It is stated in Robotech Art III by Carl Macek that when they consulted Tatsunoko about producing the animation for the Sentinels, the Japanese animators thought they were making a Macross sequel. So Graham is correct to make the assumptions he has. Just because Americans were forced to accept a bastardized version of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada, doesn't mean the rest of the world was.

I definitely remembered the bucket head Breetai. They took this cool character, and made him look absolutely ridiculous.

It's a double edge sword; Tatsunoko didn't want to use Macross designs(because they didn't want to be sued by Big West) and a major flaw with the Sentinels(among other things) was that the characters didn't look like their Macross counterparts. "Damned if you do and damned if you don't".

Edited by terry the lone wolf

There was a one fully rendered shot that was shown at the show depicting one of those Mospeada type drop ships with it's space boosters/FAST Packs jettisoned off (I know I butchered that word!).

At least do some research before saying that. Its not like its a difficult thing to find out. Not to be an ass, but what you are talking about is a Garfish with its Figher Hangars/Containers dropped. Has nothing to do with boosters/FAST Packs.

Let me reword that. One of the ships that originated from Mospeada has been redesigned so that part of the rocket booster gear can be detached and it can now operate in the atmosphere. This vehicle has been posted online, including at rt.com (I just can't find the pic right now).

Better get your eyes checked, Graham. I don't remember a Hikaru, Max Jenius or Britai in The Sentinels.

They were clearly based off of the original Macross characters and they did look quite silly in the Sentinels (especially poor Britai/Breetai). :)

It is stated in Robotech Art III by Carl Macek that when they consulted Tatsunoko about producing the animation for the Sentinels, the Japanese animators thought they were making a Macross sequel.

Sorry, better get your book out. Thats NOT what it says.

To avoid confusion, code names for various characters were established and a variety of character design compromises were made to preserve the sanctity of the original Macross universe. The most glaring design compromises took place in regard to the Zentraedi. Breetai and Exedore were not only aged, they were, for all practical purposes, redesigned.

Robotech Art 3, p. 15

Let me reword that. One of the ships that originated from Mospeada has been redesigned so that part of the rocket booster gear can be detached and it can now operate in the atmosphere. This vehicle has been posted online, including at rt.com (I just can't find the pic right now).

If thats what Tommy said, then he is a loon. The Garfish has always had to operate in an atmosphere. Its a Battalion and/or Brigade level troop-supply ship.

Ah, but to the pure Macross afficianado, especially one who has never been corrupted by the likes of Robotech or its aborted sequel, those characters will always remain to be Hikaru, Max, and Britai, no matter how much someone tries to tell you they aren't.

That's me :lol: .

Graham

In this case, refusing to call the new Robotech series "anime" is just fanboy anal-retentiveness, when you consider a Japanese production studio is involved and moreso when you realize just how much "Japanese" animation is actually animated in Korea and other south east asian countries.

I'll agree with you there.

Sorry Sean, gonna have to disagree with you.  Those maybe the roots of the japanese words as used by them but in the english speaking world anime=japanese cartoons just like manga = japanese comic books.

Foreigners to Japan identifying this or that animated feature as being "anime" or "not anime" probably would just make most real Japanese folks confused, or at least cause some to roll their eyes for such a bastardization of their own term for Gaijin purposes. :rolleyes:

It 's a convenient label though, as far as english is concerned-- but I just find it ironic that it's used by some to identify what's pure and Japanese, imbuing it with special recognition over stuff tainted by Gaijin-- when the label used in this manner is itself the corruption of an originally Japanese term.

-Al

It is stated in Robotech Art III by Carl Macek that when they consulted Tatsunoko about producing the animation for the Sentinels, the Japanese animators thought they were making a Macross sequel.

Sorry, better get your book out. Thats NOT what it says.

To avoid confusion, code names for various characters were established and a variety of character design compromises were made to preserve the sanctity of the original Macross universe. The most glaring design compromises took place in regard to the Zentraedi. Breetai and Exedore were not only aged, they were, for all practical purposes, redesigned.

Robotech Art 3, p. 15

Well, it may not be exactly as I said, but on that same page there is a paragraph stating that great care had to be taken to keep word of a possible Macross sequel from getting out. It has been years since I have read the book, and I do not intend to read it again. It is sitting in my bookcase nice and quiet where it can mold for all I care. Sorry if I sound gruff, but I am a purist by heart and have outgrown Robotech because I do feel that it is inferior to the original product.

My final point also is that Rick will always be Hikaru, Lisa will always be Misa, and Minmei will always be Minmay, no matter what situation you put them in, and no matter how many times you try to tell the public differently. Which is why you have Graham and other foreign anime fans asking, "Why are Hikaru and Max wearing that gaudy spandex?"

Sorry Sean, gonna have to disagree with you.  Those maybe the roots of the japanese words as used by them but in the english speaking world anime=japanese cartoons just like manga = japanese comic books.

Foreigners to Japan identifying this or that animated feature as being "anime" or "not anime" probably would just make most real Japanese folks confused, or at least cause some to roll their eyes for such a bastardization of their own term for Gaijin purposes. :rolleyes:

It 's a convenient label though, as far as english is concerned-- but I just find it ironic that it's used by some to identify what's pure and Japanese, imbuing it with special recognition over stuff tainted by Gaijin-- when the label used in this manner is itself the corruption of an originally Japanese term.

-Al

What I find really ironic is that people keep on thinking "anime" is a Japanese word. It's not. It's French.

What I find really ironic is that people keep on thinking "anime" is a Japanese word. It's not. It's French.

Yep. "Anime" is a bastardization thrice removed. Although the issue here is mostly how it is and isn't used by Japanese and foreigners in regards to the Japanese cultural artform.

-Al

Edited by Sundown

My final point also is that Rick will always be Hikaru, Lisa will always be Misa, and Minmei will always be Minmay, no matter what situation you put them in, and no matter how many times you try to tell the public differently. Which is why you have Graham and other foreign anime fans asking, "Why are Hikaru and Max wearing that gaudy spandex?"

But if you are a purist then those spandex boys and bucket head shown are NOT Hikaru, Max and Vrlitwhai.

Seriously, if you take someone who has never heard of Robotech and show him that spandex gimp scene, he would think he is watching some stupid 80s American cartoon about some guys called Rick, Max and Bucket Head.

Not if they're big Macross fans. I'm sorry, but if I draw a picture of the cast of Evangelion, but draw them in different costumes, using some of the same mecha from the series, and some new mecha I made myself, Evangelion fans will still recognize the characters. Even if I give them different names, Eva fans will still ask why I drew Shinjii in scuba gear, and Rei wearing business suit while piloting ridiculous fan mecha. If I try to tell them it's not Eva, that it's something I made up, they'll accuse me of plagarism (and rightly so!).

I hope some Japanese comapany will dub it for its market or maket in into Mospeada-II.

I think that was the original marketing scheme for overseas distribution, but seeing as how Mospeada was never really popular outside of "The New Generation," I highly doubt that this will ever reach fruition.

Unfortunately, in the interest of this topic, all of my Sentinels stuff is back at my parents' place, halfway across the country. Some of the artwork manages to make the characters look different, some of it doesn't succeed in that at all.