Next Samurai Monkey model: 1/72 Regult.

captain america

I wonder how accurate the 1/72 Millia figure that came with the Club-M Rau is?  If it was accurate that could help the captain better estimate the pod size.

I compared that figure to the cockpit of the Glaug. Her head might fit in there, and that's about it. If the kit is based on her sized Zentraedi, it'll be a HUGE pod! (I wouldn't complain!) ;):lol:

And to add to the confusion the Yamato 1/60 Rau is basically the same size as the Club M 1/72 version.

I'd say go for the larger one. Scale purists can call it 1/48. Scale engineers can call it 1/72. If it goes to WF...call it BIG! and be done with it.

:)

Hey Cap.. have you thought at all about vacuum forming some of the larger body shell pieces to keep the weight down? You could cast extra resin detail pieces to enhance it...and the weight savings would ease problems with the armatures (not to mention help costs ) Just a thought...I saw this technique done with some other big models...they thicker vac plastic for main shell pieces...then resin detail pieces for back-cuts and interiors.

Unfortunately, the Hydrospan only works to enlarge.

Also, I think that 90% of people who signed up for the kit did so thinking that it would be about the size of the 1/72 Imai kit; hence my preference for sticking to that. I was contemplating vacuum-forming the pod for weight-savings, but that would make it a lot tougher to assemble, and require lots more pieces to complete the cockpit with.

Vac-form is a great medium, but I'd only consider it if there's no cockpit detail. But since this is supposed to be a high-detail model kit ( not a toy), I think that detail is the key to its success.

As I mentioned before, a 1/48 "blow up" could still be done later on: simpler, large, and with external detail only. Simply because I think these would be 2 different skus with different needs to fill.

Guest Bromgrev
Unfortunately, the Hydrospan only works to enlarge.

Also, I think that 90% of people who signed up for the kit did so thinking that it would be about the size of the 1/72 Imai kit; hence my preference for sticking to that. I was contemplating vacuum-forming the pod for weight-savings, but that would make it a lot tougher to assemble, and require lots more pieces to complete the cockpit with.

Vac-form is a great medium, but I'd only consider it if there's no cockpit detail. But since this is supposed to be a high-detail model kit ( not a toy), I think that detail is the key to its success.

As I mentioned before, a 1/48 "blow up" could still be done later on: simpler, large, and with external detail only. Simply because I think these would be 2 different skus with different needs to fill.

Stay true to scale, Cap! At 1:72, it will still be impressive without pushing everything else off the shelf. Accuracy is the difference between models and toys! (That and whether they're shiny ... :D )

Said it once and I'll say it again - toy collectors to the back of the line.

1/72 scale Cap if you please.

Berttt

amen, brother... let the kids play with there toys while daddy works with his kits

I'll second that

Said it once and I'll say it again - toy collectors to the back of the line.

1/72 scale Cap if you please.

Berttt

amen, brother... let the kids play with there toys while daddy works with his kits

I'll second that

Yeah, you guys go ahead and spend hundreds of hours building your static pose model kits. Or, spend even more time customizing them with polycaps etc.

I will spend that time playing with my toys that are good to go right out of the box.

Which looks just like everyone else's toy right out of the box. And when someone says hey that's a cool plane did you build it your reply will be, well uh no it's just a toy that I play with :lol:

I have no desire to play with them.

I like John's idea of making a slightly larger 1/72 now and later have the option of making a 1/48 fixed-pose kit using hydrospan (a 60% increase in size is actually closer to 1/45). Actually a larger scale kit would need more external details to look right. Take the Yammie 1/12 Scopedog as an example, it is way to plain for its scale.

Yeah, you guys go ahead and spend hundreds of hours building your static pose model kits. Or, spend even more time customizing them with polycaps etc.

I will spend that time playing with my toys that are good to go right out of the box.

Yeah, so if I spend 200 hours building a Regult, do you suppose I'll have it done before Yamato makes one? :p

It's all in good jest. I only buy the Macross toys because I prefer the larger scale. If those Hasegawas were 1/48 (or even better 1/32) and tranformable I'd prefer getting a crapload of them. Their detail is awesome and like someone said it'll have a look that I partly put into it. Anyway, I'm glad the Cap is going ahead with this project with or without us "kiddies". You guy better post them when you're done building the kits. Good luck.

Hey ya gotta expect to get some crap when you come to the models section and post a "dump on models" message.

I hope we're all just ribbing each other anyway, rarely am I to be taken seriously :lol: .

Hey ya gotta expect to get some crap when you come to the models section and post a "dump on models" message.

I hope we're all just ribbing each other anyway, rarely am I to be taken seriously :lol: .

Hey, I wasn't dumping on models!

I was dumping on you talented people who have the time, inclination, tools, and most importatnly SKILLS to complete them... :lol:;) .

That is why I buy toys, because I am TEH SUCK at building models!.

Of course, I did forget to mention...

Toy collectors who suck at building models, pay modellers to customize their toys, so you modellers actually benefit from our existence!.

Just ask Kurt, Jung etc etc. I'm sure a toy collector has put many an obscure resin kit on their "to be built....someday" shelf. ;)

Don't worry toy dudes, I'm not picking on ya! Not enough Macross fans in the world to go pissing of the guys here.

Just don't try and hijack a MODEL KIT thread and try and get a Regult built for a TOY scale! I mean you don't see us over at the 1/48 two seater conversion thread trying to get a 1/72 scale battroid conversion out of it do ya? Oh and buy up as much of MN and the Captain's stuff as you can, we got to support them, I mean 1/72 is close enough ti 1/60 scale isn't it?

Other than than it's all good.

Cheers and Beers,

Berttt

Don't worry toy dudes, I'm not picking on ya! Not enough Macross fans in the world to go pissing of the guys here.

Just don't try and hijack a MODEL KIT thread and try and get a Regult built for a TOY scale! I mean you don't see us over at the 1/48 two seater conversion thread trying to get a 1/72 scale battroid conversion out of it do ya? Oh and buy up as much of MN and the Captain's stuff as you can, we got to support them, I mean 1/72 is close enough ti 1/60 scale isn't it?

Other than than it's all good.

Cheers and Beers,

Berttt

We weren't trying to hijack... we were trying to... ummm... benefit... :unsure: yeah that's it! :lol: Can you blame us? :lol:

Capt already said that he would make an enlarged version for the toy people after this so it looks like the toy people have already benefited off this. I think its just a bit confusing with both toy and model ppl making suggestions and Capt doesnt know whos who.

Maybe there should be a new thread made in the toy section to see who would be interested in a larger regult that way we can avoid the confusion.

Just don't try and hijack a MODEL KIT thread and try and get a Regult built for a TOY scale! I mean you don't see us over at the 1/48 two seater conversion thread trying to get a 1/72 scale battroid conversion out of it do ya?

1/48 is a toy scale?! Holy crap, all these years and I never knew that Tanmen's 1/48 Ultimate Strike Valkyrie was toy scale. Guess someone should've told IMAI that their 1/48 Legioss kit was also toy scale. Ironically enough, the two 1/48 VF-1 and Legioss toys that did come out (from Yamato and Toynami respectively) came out after the model kits. So is it really a toy scale or model scale? Kids these days...

:rolleyes:

And don't worry, no one's hijacking this thread. If you've been around here as long as some of us, you'll know when a thread's been hijacked. :)