A little advice for a noob

Desram

Hi all. I just got my first 1/60 a couple weeks ago (cannon fodder). Now I'm looking at getting either a 1/72 yf21 or a 1/48 (both off of ebay). I can't really decide which to go for. The yf21 I'm looking at is a fp and I was just wondering if the final version is any better then graham's review of the sample. It made it sound pretty bad. If it's at all improved I might consider getting it over the 1/48 due to the price difference. Also I'm curious if either of these might suddenly become really rare or anything. That would be bad. Thanks for any reply!

I can vouch for both! I got a YF-21FP for Xmas, and while it makes a nice display piece IF you can get it to stay standing, or leave it in fihgter mode, it lacks in playability bc/ the hips are just that floppy. I would go for a 1/48 first, because once you go 1/48, you never go bacl (even tho my 1/72 YF-19 is my fav valk toy). The YF-21FP cannot actually tf into adn stay ion Gerwalk mode as far as I can tell, and you are more than likely to get it and have it be missing one of the large screw covers underneath the leg covers. Thye simply dont make it into teh box on most of them.

A note on the 1/48s tho, if you get the FPs for it, be prepeared to white glue the micro missiles in place or never take tehm off of the sprue bc/ they dont quite stay right. Itherwise it is a glorious toy.

Playability is pretty important. That's one thing I don't like about my 1/60. The tail is floppy and the arms don't quite sit right in the undercarriage. I also got one where almost every part of one leg is slightly loose (even the little landing gear light). How stable is the yf21 is fighter mode?

Edited by Desram

If you want a nicely sculpted diecast metal YF-21 fighter, order the 1/144 scale Doyusha from HLJ.

I'd stay away from the Yamato 1/72 scale YF-21FP. Not only is the purple color horrible IMO (and non anime accuracte), but it does not lock together well in fighter mode (at least the 3 I have tried don't). Also, it does not balance at all well in either Gerwalk or Battoid mode.

If you really must have a Yamato YF-21, I'd actually recommend trying to track down a mint non-FP version. Not only is it the correct color, but it can actually balance fairly well in Battroid and Gerwalk mode. I actually really like the original Yamato YF-21, you just need to be careful with the shoulder sliders as they are a bit fragile.

Graham

If it's a question of "either", go 1/48. I got all the 1/60s and 1/72s before I got my first 1/48 - I've been regretting not getting on the 1/48 bandwagon earlier ever since.

The YF-21 FP looks good in fighter mode (slim profile), but horrid in both other modes. The purple is, as Graham's mentioned above and on the MW review, rather painful to the eye as well. I wouldn't dismiss it altogether, but up against any 1/48, it stands no chance.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I have another question along the same line. I'm basically looking at whatever I can get on ebay, which is where I got my 1/60. There is a miria vf-1j 1/48 super for 120 US. Im assuming that this version is later than the hikaru vf-1a and has the improvements(like the stable nose cone)? This sound like a good deal?

it's also gonna cost you to have that thing shipped from across the seas... That's always been my biggest gripe with the 1/48s. The prices themselves are steep but acceptable, then you add another $30-$40 just to get it to your door. They should set up a service so that when the postal worker comes with your package he also kicks you in the balls for free.

All that being said, and also owning both, the 1/48 is the hands down winner. Graham and others are spot-on with their critiques.

I'd stay away from the Yamato 1/72 scale YF-21FP. Not only is the purple color horrible IMO (and non anime accuracte), but it does not lock together well in fighter mode (at least the 3 I have tried don't). Also, it does not balance at all well in either Gerwalk or Battoid mode.

Graham

I wish Yamato would re-visit Macross Plus and remake all three of the line (VF-11B, YF-21, YF-19). These toys just aren't that good when you compare them with the 1/48 scale VF-1.

Get the 1/48, it is the best :)

If it's a question of "either", go 1/48. I got all the 1/60s and 1/72s before I got my first 1/48 - I've been regretting not getting on the 1/48 bandwagon earlier ever since.

Same here...

I doubted the 1/48's price:value ratio when I had all my 1/60's, but once you get that first 1/48...................... :o

The only non-1/48's I have are the 1/72 plus valks and only because they aren't made any bigger... if yamato finally realizes that it's a smart decision to make a bigger scale Mplus line (at least a yf19) then well, bye bye 1/72.

Agreed. I think that the macross plus vfs are the best-looking overall. I guess I'll try and get myself a 1/48. The shipping is going to be an irritance, to be sure. It's looking like it will be around 60 Canadian, which is just under half the price of the item. Anyone have a better place to shop than ebay? I've seen a few recommendations floating around here but the prices seemed about the same.

Agreed. I think that the macross plus vfs are the best-looking overall. I guess I'll try and get myself a 1/48. The shipping is going to be an irritance, to be sure. It's looking like it will be around 60 Canadian, which is just under half the price of the item. Anyone have a better place to shop than ebay? I've seen a few recommendations floating around here but the prices seemed about the same.

the cheapest and at the same time the most expensive is on ebay.

Just ignore the price jackers and you can find good deals there if you're patient.

I go there because for me 10-30 dollars makes a huge difference.

but I've also bought from Tam @ tmpanime (coincidentally the 1/72 yf21 fp) and the service there is great.

I heard Kevin @ Valk Exchange is also good along with Neova.

Edited by Nani?!

What I found, me being Canadian too(eh?), was by going through those recommendations you could get better shipping charges, but not always.

Simply put; If you have the cash, do it. If you don't, then play the waiting game and see what pops up, though you could miss out in the end. In either case it's exactly like playing the stock market - you just got to get the feel for it. Then you know how you're chances are. But sooner or later your gonna get burned, so expect it(not that it helps).

soze, a member here at MW, might have a couple of 1/48s left. he's a quick shipper and has done lots of repeat business here on MW. also, his prices tend to be lower. i'd recommend you drop him a PM.

I just bought a Hikaru 1/48 J for 150 canadian - I am pleased. If the nosecone irritates me I'll superglue the damn thing. Or is it just the A that doesn't have the improvements??? Graham? :huh:

Edited by Desram

if you have a small amount of painting skills you can paint the radar assembly (not the dish) and the underside of the nosecone grey or silver or any metal color so it will look better plus it will hold the nose cone in extremely well.

I just bought a Hikaru 1/48 J for 150 canadian - I am pleased. If the nosecone irritates me I'll superglue the damn thing. Or is it just the A that doesn't have the improvements??? Graham? :huh:

My Hikaru VF-1A has no problems with the nosecone. It is the re-issue though.

it's also gonna cost you to have that thing shipped from across the seas... That's always been my biggest gripe with the 1/48s. The prices themselves are steep but acceptable, then you add another $30-$40 just to get it to your door. They should set up a service so that when the postal worker comes with your package he also kicks you in the balls for free.

All that being said, and also owning both, the 1/48 is the hands down winner. Graham and others are spot-on with their critiques.

Is your postal worker charging you to kick you in the balls??

Whatever you do, if you get a yf21FP never have it posed near the edge of your desk like I did. The head laser on mine is almost ready to snap off.

It took me a while to pose it in gerwalk but it's do-able. Just don't breath or put it in an area where there is wind.

If anything I would recommend you buy the vf11b w fp over the yf21 w fp since it is way more poseable in all modes, and to me is far more playable for it. The yf21 should only be displayed in fighter mode imo. The only real positive is that you get to have 2 gunpods and it looks prety cool to see a battroid going all john woo on other mecha. (it just has more attitude than the vf11 in battroid)

One other thing: the shoulder pads tend to stick out in fighter mode which I don't think is accurate to anime. (looks much better to detach them when transforming to fighter) This tends to spoil the look from the front to me. Maybe it would have been a different story if they released them in a slightly larger scale?

Now come on bandai, make an anime-accurate perfect grade vf22. This is your chance to get back at yamato for stealing your re-release chunky monky profits with thier 1/48 vf1s. jk :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I don't really like the look of the vf-11b quite as much. I think it's the near total lack of tail fins with no cool wings to make up for it. It's just kind of a less cool yf 19 to me. Of course the yamato yf-19 doesn't look right to me either, which I'm thinking is the general consensus.

If I were you I would get the 1/48 Yammie anyday! It is the first computer designed valk and it is superb in all aspects, just perfect!

Try sticking with the 1A Hikaru/Max or 1S Focker/Hikaru (if you are lucky) and get the Fast Packs seperately!

The 1J Super of Max , Millia or Hikaru are good too, but you will be stuck with those differently coloured Fast Packs, whcih you cannot really mix'n match with future valks!

Andy :)

I just wish they all had alternator type stiffness of joints and poseability. No reason why a battroid shouldn't be able to stand up. This goes for the Qrau too. I will never have my yf21 fp standing up in gerwalk unless it is leaning against something.

Also another thing: the hands don't hold the gunpods too well unless the finger is curved up. If they do a resculpt in bigger size someday, hands with ball joints for more freedom to angle wrists plus individually articulated fingers would be nice.

its not so much that it has stiffer joints(it does slightly) its just that its the 2nd rau so it didn't get the play/pose time like the 1st one.

I can confirm this. My original Miria is a kinda floppy compared the the Max and Miria Q-Rau combo I got from Kevin. Those two new ones can easily stand by themselves, but I loosened the crap out of the first one's hip joints looking for the perfect pose.

Huh, I've never had much of a problem getting my YF-21 to stand in battroid, and I've had it for ages now. I think I'm one of the few people that has also not suffered any major QC problems (and only one minor) with any of my Yamatos.

Oh man, I hope I'm not jinxing my luck, I've got an Elintseeker on it's way right now. :blink:

I can get battroid yf21fp to stand up much easier than gerwalk but this doesn't change the fact that the hips are still loose. Also given that you are pretty limited in how to pose the battroid due to small feet (more the design of the mech than the toys fault in that instance) he isn't as stable as vf11bfp. Very easy to push over. Also compare knees of yf21fp to knees of vf11b. vf11bfp is more poseable.

Order of easiness: fighter (no probs) > battroid (not too bad but not as good as other toys) > gerwalk (be careful of those tiny feet and wobbly legs!)

Oh and people who say they have no probs with thier qraus poseabilty: I believe that, but limbs that get loose over time (such that it becomes hard to put the mech in a neutral standing pose) should be considered loose limbs in the toy imo. If you expect them to get loose but they are tight at the minute of writing then it's worth noting or people (noobs) will get confused. ;) If you inform people so they expect loose limbs they won't be disapointed when thier toy comes if thier's can't be stood upright.

I think if the limbs were as tight as the alternators I'd be happy. (Granted its a big toy compared to the alts, but the poseability comments still counts. The backpack is hefty so it puts pressure on the hips if you don't lean it forward. The state of mine is that when I try to straighten the legs, the weight of the backpack is too much for the hips to take, making it fall back instead of staying still.)

Also in a previous impressions thread I mentioned it would have been good if the knees and hips on the Qrau had a bit more articulation here. (this is so that you could get them in a compact 'fetal position' pose to mimmic the launching of micromissiles) It was only a nitpick though and couldn't be helped seeing as the armor got in the way. But when you are used to seeing things in anime you hope the toy can mimmic what it does there. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

it's also gonna cost you to have that thing shipped from across the seas...  That's always been my biggest gripe with the 1/48s.  The prices themselves are steep but acceptable, then you add another $30-$40 just to get it to your door.  They should set up a service so that when the postal worker comes with your package he also kicks you in the balls for free.

All that being said, and also owning both, the 1/48 is the hands down winner.  Graham and others are spot-on with their critiques.

Is your postal worker charging you to kick you in the balls??

:lol: I agree about the shipping being a snot though, sucks to be here in the US instead of JP.