Any theories for MGS4?

Well I've finished Snake Eater twice, I'm trying to build up the courage to play on Extreme mode. :unsure:

I wonder if there will be a 4th game? I fear H. Kojima may say a trilogy is enough. Is it just me or are the Metal Gear/Shagohod the least interesting part of this game? I like the setting,ambiance and style, I like the characters and even the twisted story line is engrossing, sort of.

I'm hoping because they say Eva went missing in Hanoi in 1970, that might be the basis of a new game. I really liked the whole retro-history thing. I also like the young Ocelot, he's obnoxiously likeable. And I liked how the whole thing took place in one big area instead of jumping from one big city to the next, you really get the feeling the place exists, like you go visit the area.

A new game based in Vietnam maybe? Or even possibly they could go back further and set it in WWII with the Boss and the Cobra team... But I think you really need to keep Snake the main character, he is the heart of the game. It would be cool if you could play Eva for a level or have at least the option to play either character.

They might also fix the camera angle thing, that seems maybe the most common critique of MGS3. I can live with it, but I do admit it can be frustrating at times.

I wonder if Kojima could accept the challenge of a MGS4 AND have no nuclear weapon crisis? There must be some other plot device they could come up with. That angle is being a bit over done all over the place. :ph34r:

He won't do another prequel. It'll go further into the Patriots storyline. You'll have to go to none other than Outer Heaven 2 or Neo Heaven when you finally track down the Patriots leader. And dun dun DUN! It's Big Boss! Alive you say? But how? The Big Boss you killed in Zanzibar Land was just a clone! Yeah, that's probably the worst possible story arc ever, but honestly, it's the only one I see Kojima coming out with ...

I wonder if there will be a 4th game? I fear H. Kojima may say a trilogy is enough.

Trilogy? Last I counted there were 6 games in the series...

Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel(AKA Metal Gear Solid GameBoy Color), Metal Gear Solid(now subtitled Twin Snakes), Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Okay, 7 if we count Snake's Revenge.

But I think you really need to keep Snake the main character, he is the heart of the game.

If I recall, Kojima was moving away from the beloved Solid Snake because it's hard to justify putting in-game tutorials in when the player character is an elite commando that knows more about combat than the poeple giving him instructions. So I doubt Snake will come back.

I wonder if Kojima could accept the challenge of a MGS4 AND have no nuclear weapon crisis? There must be some other plot device they could come up with. That angle is being a bit over done all over the place.  :ph34r:

But it's the main theme of the entire series.

It's like asking for a Super Mario game without an insane turtle king kidnapping the princess.

But I think you really need to keep Snake the main character, he is the heart of the game.

If I recall, Kojima was moving away from the beloved Solid Snake because it's hard to justify putting in-game tutorials in when the player character is an elite commando that knows more about combat than the poeple giving him instructions. So I doubt Snake will come back.

That's hardly a problem, playing as Snake when the player himself is mostly clueless-- because we haven't been able to play as Snake since the beginning half of MGS 2. Besides, that hardly stretches believability anymore than how things have been-- seeing as every one of the characters you play in his games are uber-special-forces trained, and shouldn't have to be told most of the things players are told.

Please, let us play the Real Snake already, and give us some sort of conclusion to the acid-trip-induced abortive ending of MGS 2. I'd also love to play as Meryl for a segment of the game, too.

-Al

Lets not forget Metal Gear II for MSX. The TRUE sequel.

Putting tutorials in the game is perfectly justifiable; ITS A GAME.

I predict that there will be stealthy espionage action in the next one.

And MGS2 makes alot more sense after playing it a second time. Complicated? Yes. Contrived? Perhaps. Abortive? Nah.

And MGS2 makes alot more sense after playing it a second time. Complicated? Yes. Contrived? Perhaps. Abortive? Nah.

Well it's a convoluted and contrived storyline that details conspiracies of epic proportions and builds expectations of a cohesive finale-- then fails to deliver, copping out in a quaint moral message that totally ignores the most bizarre of concepts and characters-- most introduced in the last 5 minutes with unscrupulous name dropping, no less. It just wreaked of Kojima dreaming up a convoluted plot that got bigger than he could handle, by which time he just didn't know how to kill it. It's writing out of one's butt without having a well-planned ending, ie. the Chris Carter syndrome.

Either that, or he ran out of time and resources before the game needed to be shipped.

In either case, I have never gone from "Holy cow. This story rocks! I can't wait to see what this all means!" to "How cow. This kinda... sucks. Is he just making it up as he goes along?" in so short a time.

-Al

Lets not forget Metal Gear II for MSX. The TRUE sequel.

I mentioned MG2: Solid Snake.

I predict that there will be stealthy espionage action in the next one.

I predict that there will be a nuclear equipped walking battle tank called Metal Gear.

Or was there an MG in Snake Eater? I haven't played the most recent games.

Edited by JB0

That's hardly a problem, playing as Snake when the player himself is mostly clueless-- because we haven't been able to play as Snake since the beginning half of MGS 2.

I'm just saying, that's why Kojima pulled him out.

Besides, that hardly stretches believability anymore than how things have been-- seeing as every one of the characters you play in his games are uber-special-forces trained, and shouldn't have to be told most of the things players are told.

It is a problem. Even a non-military person should know how to fire a gun.

I'd say screw the in-game instructions. Make people figure it out.

Or at the very least put them in a non-continuity "training mode".

I know it's a "problem" per se, but the problem is hardly unique to Snake. It's a problem with any character with remote military training, who even has business being in a "tactical espionage action" game. So Kojima citing that as the reason to pull Snake specifically doesn't really fly. If we were to follow that logic, we'd need to pull out Raiden and Naked Snake as well, not to metion retroactively pulling out all of Snake's appearances before he was suddenly deemed too leet for us partway through MGS 2. We might as well not make games.

Agreed. I found it odd that The Boss was lecturing Naked Snake on basics of camoflague and combat that even I knew. But Kojima loves in-game tutorials. I guess for him it creates the tension between handholding and educating your player and the effect of wearing at the character's believability.

But I think players can suspend disbelief for a moment. Especially if they actually get to play as Snake.

-Al

Edited by Sundown

JBO, there was a Metal Gear in snake eater ("The Shagohod")

I believe the time would be right for remakes of the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear: Solid Snake (and may anyone who WANTS to remake "snakes revenge" get firmly kicked in the nads). There is an entire generation of gamers who haven't had exposure to the two original metal gear games, so remakes with the newer graphics engine might be appropriate. maybe throw in a minor plot twist or two just to cement the continuity.

With the exception of "snakes revenge" (which isn't even officially in the Kojima storyline), I've yet to play a Metal Gear game I didn't like.

Edited by Skull Leader

I know it's a "problem" per se, but the problem is hardly unique to Snake. It's a problem with any character with remote military training, who even has business being in a "tactical espionage action" game.

I thought I was acknowledging you were right...

So Kojima citing that as the reason to pull Snake specifically doesn't really fly. 

Well, it makes MARGINALLY more sense to be lecturing a rookie than it does a seasoned combat veteran...

We might as well not make games.

WE MUST GO BACK TO OLDSCHOOL 8-BIT ERA! ATARI AND NES FOREVER!

Agreed. I found it odd that The Boss was lecturing Naked Snake on basics of camoflague and combat that even I knew. But Kojima loves in-game tutorials. I guess for him it creates the tension between handholding and educating your player and the effect of wearing at the character's believability.

His way to avoid the "voice of god" effect.

I got a chuckle or 2 out of MGS1's attempts to drag players into things.

Psycho Mantis alone was worth the purchase price.

But I think players can suspend disbelief for a moment.  Especially if they actually get to play as Snake.

Only if they let Snake learn enough to frigging HOTWIRE THE NEXT METAL GEAR HE WALKS OVER INSTEAD OF IGNORING IT 8 MILLION TIMES UNTILL IT TRIES TO KILL HIM!

Sorry. I was "mildly" annoyed about that in MGS1.

Edited by JB0

I think I could settle for a game where you play as Meryl or Eva, as long as it's able to match the great scenery and ambiance of MGS3.

Eva in Vietnam 1970, I could enjoy that. I don't see how they couldn't have Snake in it though, he'd want to resue her when he found out she went missing. (Kind of like the story in Spy Game, I think it's called, with Redford and Pitt.) It'd be nice to face bad guy's other than Spetznaz/Russians for a change. Maybe it could take place in China too because of Eva's history.

Also, they imply all over that Snake, any version, is a bad ass veteran. So not EVERY mission has to have a nuclear weapon at it's center. Boss and the cobra's missions included D-day/V-2 hunting and the attempted Cuban insurrection/Bay of Pigs.

Idunno. I just want more! :D

Heh. Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake. =P

It'd be something else to actually be able to sit in the cockpit of a Metal Gear for a change. But Metal Gear stands for all that's evil and nuclear, so there's no chance of that. Last thing Kojima wants to do is to tempt the player with absolute power.

Man, I'd be happy just playing as Snake through his half of MGS 2. Snake, dressed as a Navy Seal! And denied the chance to play as him in that getup... yaarggh. The humanity.

Yeah, I know you can play as Pliskin in Substance, in a couple of the Snake Tales... but it's not quite the same thing.

-Al

Heh. Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake. =P

It'd be something else to actually be able to sit in the cockpit of a Metal Gear for a change. But Metal Gear stands for all that's evil and nuclear, so there's no chance of that. Last thing Kojima wants to do is to tempt the player with absolute power.

But... ummm... the nuke wasn't armed?

I still say Snake should've hotwired Rex and removed it from the equation one way or another. While I would PREFER rampaging about the island gunning people down with impunity, I would SETTLE for walking it off a cliff and jumping out at the last minute.

You know, anything that prevents me being the guy running around dodging fire while some psycho goes about the business of stomping me to death in a near-invincible battle machine.

Well, yeah. But see, Snake thought it was. And Metal Gear is just evil incarnate by association anyway. Sitting in its seat for but a moment will entice you with mad power!

You know, anything that prevents me being the guy running around dodging fire while some psycho goes about the business of stomping me to death in a near-invincible battle machine.

Well, be thankful that we didn't actually get that wish-- in the form of destroying some "supercomputer" controlling Metal Gear, and avoiding anything to do with being shot at by a nuclear tipped walking tank of death altogether. *Twitches from NES Metal Gear flashbacks.*

-Al

Well, yeah. But see, Snake thought it was. And Metal Gear is just evil incarnate by association anyway. Sitting in its seat for but a moment will entice you with mad power!

Oooooohhhh...

"I AM SOLID SNAKE! LORD OF ALL THAT I SURVEY! NATIONS SHALL BOW BEFORE ME AS I TRAMPLE THEIR LEADERS UNDER MY THIRTY FOOT IRON-CLAD BOOTS!"

That would be SOOOO cool.

Well, be thankful that we didn't actually get that wish-- in the form of destroying some "supercomputer" controlling Metal Gear, and avoiding anything to do with being shot at by a nuclear tipped walking tank of death altogether. *Twitches from NES Metal Gear flashbacks.*

-Al

Point made.

Game, set, match.

Snake's Revenge wasn't much better in that regard. It sits there and does nothing while we shoot it through an air vent. WOW!

One more reason to love the MSX games. REAL Metal Gear fights.

And thus we have a 180 on position.

Another vote for the Snatcher remake. As for MGS 4, Tomino's been saying since 2 that there would be no more games under him, so we'll see.

Tomino who???

Someone's confusing MGS with MSG. :p

Yet more proof why I shouldn't post while I'm tired....although now that its mentioned, a metal gear styled Gundam story wouldn't be bad at all....

Another vote for the Snatcher remake. As for MGS 4, Tomino's been saying since 2 that there would be no more games under him, so we'll see.

Tomino who???

Someone's confusing MGS with MSG. :p

Yet more proof why I shouldn't post while I'm tired....although now that its mentioned, a metal gear styled Gundam story wouldn't be bad at all....

But a Gundam-styled Metal Gear...

Wait, isn't that the GP-02? Guess I'm late.

For someone that's never SEEN most of the Gundams, I know WAY too much about them.

as much as I would really love to see a remake of the First MG game, it's not MGS4, it's MG1, or ReMG. I just want the series to move forward too. Maybe they should port the MSX games to the GBA. They'd sell enough copies if they updated them a little.

I'm still disappointed that they weren't tucked in as extras on Metal Gear Solid.

Don't ask why I thought they would be. I don't remember anymore.