Which 1/48 Should I Buy?

shiyao

Hi guys,

Simple question. Which Yamato 1/48 should I buy? I have only USD$200 ... so the Low-Viz is out of the question.

I know MW has pictorial reviews of the individual 1/48s, but I'd just like to check what you guys think.

Cheers.

lol, if you can only afford one, you're collecting the wrong toy! :p They are all amazing. I do like the Hikaru 1J and the Roy 1S the most. But you can't go wrong with any of them. Buy whatever you find is the cheapest!

All 1/48s except the first couple have the improved nosecone and flaps, so they are all good toys.

Your decision should really be based on personal preferance. Which head design do you like, VF-1A, VF-1J or VF-1S? Which character do you like, Hikaru, Roy, Max or Milia? Decide based on that.

The toys are pretty much identical anyway apart from the head and coloration.

Graham

Ah yes, but Neova has run out, at least for the time being.

*sob*

I guess another relevant question might be: a 1/48 valk or a 1/100 Konig Monster?

The valk definately. Cause its the most defining mecha in Macross. Non macross people won't know what the konig monster is.

And the valk has less QC issues too. ;)

1/48??? For $70????? No way!

It's possible.

I found my Roy 1/48 VF-1S from the old MW Forums for$80 (shipped). :blink:

true i got my VF-1A Hikaru of of ebay for about $75.00 in the USA which is a really good price, every now and then you can pick up a good one.

chris

Personally, were I in your shoes I would want to get the most valk I could get for the money. As Graham said, you have to pick the variant that you like best, for the most part they are identicle otherwise, but try to find one that either comes with Fast packs or find the seperate Super/Strike set you really will be pleased with the level of detail and "Meat" it adds to the toy.

I still see the Hikaru VF-1J with Fast Packs, ase well as the Max&Millia sets around fairly commonly the Hikaru 1A is and the Re-Issued Roy is still available in some places, the Strike/Super Pack set however seems to be becoming rare.

I am a fan of the S style Head, then the J then the A, so if I had $200 to spend right now on a Valk, I would try to find a Roy VF-1S and a Super/Stirke pack, then i would fall back to the Max VF-1J w/packs, Millia W.Packs, Hikaru VF-1J with packs and finally the Hikaru VF-1A and a set of Super/Strike Packs.

If you are going to secondary markets, used or Evil-bay then all bets are off, I absolutely love my Hikaru VF-1S with the Super/Strike set, it is easily my Fav Valk :)

Good luck, you are gonna like the 1/48 when you get it.

I'll suggest a vf-1a, cause the A head collapse pretty well in fighter mode, the S head visor will be ever visible, dunno about the J.

If you are going to buy a vf-1s I suggest the Hikaru vf-1s cause it have some improvements like the better sculped pilot and front landing gear easier to open.

well haterist, being a New Yorker yourself, where would you find valks around here? brick and mortar stores i mean .. i reckon i've tried every possible online store already.

honestly, i rarely get a good deal in NYC, all the stores tend to be a total rip off.

i usually buy newly released macross stuff directly from Neova(hes in HK) and i get a pretty good deal on top on getting stuff when its first released. if you'd like, we can buy stuff together and save some money on shipping?

you're pretty close to me and it would take me all of 15 minutes to get to you or vise versa, i live in washington heights(uptown!) on 185th st. and i've been looking from someone to partner up with to get some group buys going.

other wise, i shop at valkyrie-exchange.com(in cali) cause kev's a cool guy and he always has macross stuff available since hes a big fan himself.

toy-wave is good too and hes also in HK, decent prices, good serivce and a reliable seller.

bigbadtoystore.com(somewhere in the midwest) is also good but his prices are a little steep compared to everyone else. sign up on his mailing list cause he has sales all the time and thats when you can get some really good deals. i.e. i got 2 super 1J for $310 shipped.

Well, this is only my opinion, since the only MAJOR difference between all of the 1/48's is paint and head design - it's really up to what you like.

But if I could only keep one of mine - it'd be the VF-1S with the Super/Strike Armor kit. You could totally do that for $200, if you shop smart, shop S-Mart.

damn. my favourite character is max but his valk just doesn't do it for me.

i do like the extra nose-cone tab and slot though ... and i get all these rumours about the very first 1/48 (hikaru's right?) having all these QC problems.

VF-1S with strike sounds really good though .. i'll have to mull this over.

i've tried all the shops haterist suggested, and it looks like only max and millia are available. believe you me, i've tried loads of other stores too:

circlered.com

bigbluetree.com

toysofanime.com

digital-toys.com (they have VF-1S, but no strike)

chibitokyo.com

and of course, ebay, but i really do not want to buy from tisinc99. they suck crap, period.

try these sites...

blastotoys

animecastle

tmpanime...otherwise know as twinmoons

blueforgegames

angolz

gundamstoreandmore

smallblueplanet

i know theres more but i'll have to double check.

BTW, VE has the 1S roy for $160...

added:

i think soze still has a few of FPs left? heres the link to his sale page, LINKits old but i know he had mad FP kits left.

worst comes to worst, if you really can't find one, i'll sell you one of my super 1J's. :)

otherwise you can try and convince the crazy valk hording team of Godzilla or kensei to sell you one of theres?

Edited by haterist

haterist,

amazing - of all the sites you've listed, i've only never come across "angolz". seems like this little hobby is becoming quite an obsession.

yeah i'll do that bigkid. his prices for the FPs look reasonable.

soze is a good man, you got nothing to worry about. :)

yes the obsession only get worse. i said the same thing when i got here, "i just want one valk, you know, for the memories", then BAM! you're a valk-o-holic trying to find any excuse to buy another valk. :(:lol:

Edited by haterist

soze is a good man, you got nothing to worry about. :)

yes the obsession only get worse. i said the same thing when i got here, "i just want one valk, you know, for the memories", then BAM! you're a valk-o-holic trying to find any excuse to buy another valk. :(:lol:

Aint that the damn truth. Look at my siggy. :ph34r:

Holy crap... TISINC wants $250 for a plain Roy -1S..

I've been happy with my -1J fastpack set, I just feel like I need Roy's as well.. not really for any reason other than for the Jolly Roger markings. :D Maybe I'll get a set of strike packs if I find one, but I just love the yellow-black scheme.

Well, if you want to avoid falling asleep due to boredom brought on by how much the VF-1 has been overdone, I'd recommend that you try and find the 'Low Viz, despite it's high price. The VF-1 in this version should keep you amused for a considerable amount of time.

Aint that the damn truth. Look at my siggy.  :ph34r:

haha, at least I can say I have more 1/60's and 1/72's than you! ;) well, only 2 more 1/72 than you. :)

True but if there are no1/48 2 seaters, I might have to break down and get the 1/60 versions. I can cover all scales so I decide to pick one. :lol: