Super Robot War 3rd Alpha

CF18

YES! It's the Dancouga!! XDD Glad to see Ideon and Gunbuster back as well. Gaogaigar Final, mmmm. It's a bit weird to have Virtual On in the series though, but that's still pretty interesting. I wonder if the Sunrise Eiyuutan units will pop up this time around.

Well, it's actually a total of 4 Alpha games so far (including Alpha Gaiden), and yes Alpha 3 is a PS2 release.

Edited by rikiryou

One thing I've never liked about the SRW games is that they add their own non-anime mecha, which I dislike. I wish they would just stick to anime only mecha.

Given the popularity of anime outside of Japan, you would think they would release an English language version of these games. Still I guess licensing could be problematic.

Graham

One thing I've never liked about the SRW games is that they add their own non-anime mecha, which I dislike. I wish they would just stick to anime only mecha.

ALL SHALL FEAR THE MIGHT OF CYBASTER!

Or however we're spelling it today.

Given the popularity of anime outside of Japan, you would think they would release an English language version of these games. Still I guess licensing could be problematic.

I suspect licensing issues may be part of it.

Though turn-based SRPGs aren't a really huge market in America. And a lot of the shows in SRW never got a lot of attention in America(or have been forgotten, like Getter Robo and Mazinger Z).

VFX2 was likely selected for US release because it had the ability to appeal to the masses.

Whether you know Macross, Robotech, or nothing, the ability to fly a transforming jet and blow lots of stuff up makes for a universally good idea. The ability to move several SD versions of said jet around a map and watch them blow stuff up... doesn't.

SRW's market may easily be just a very vocal niche, and not worth targeting. Unless you do more Gundam Wing and less... everything else. Which is automatically a bad idea because it ups the amount of Gundam Wing stuff.

I really wish they would make the mecha in SRW games non-SD.

Graham

Been done a few times.

Using the ARMD attack on a bootleg Great Mazinger was funny enough in SD. The mind shudders at the comic possibilities if it had been to proper scale.

Which is probably why they keep to SD. They like to spoil our fun.

Bandai made this. Isn't it SRW?

Volks made that . . . says so on the box (not the transport box).

Was it Shin SRW was the one that had anime mechs and was non-SD?

Yes, along with SRW Scramble Commander.

Edited by Wing Commander Chen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...