what's up with these MPC?

yman1437

yea a little while back i did a thread about this the prices are ridiculous , you could get a low viz and if you looked around possibly a super strike pack for it as well.

chris :blink:

MPC VF-1S

BTW, anyone know what's up with these VF-1S? why make the robotech gone wild on it?

with that price, I can buy a low viz ! (which I would rather have a million times more)  ;)  ;)

One word:

Ignorance.

Or possibly just completist. Even I, a certified 1/48-o-phile, was tempted to get a few MPCs when Tam was fire-saling them a year ago.

I ended up selling my 1J Rick Hunter MPC instead (which I purchased before my first 1/48). If I can't have 'em all, I don't want any!

H

Edited by Hurin

Bet you the "uneducated" consumer was 'mentally fixated' on the thought it was the same as a Yamato 1/48 :rolleyes: .

Despite anything revealed in the auction, they were probably just like over- focused attack pilots, diving into enemy fire to get that last SAM emplacement & smacking the ground too late.

but my question is why the VF-1S in particular?.....nobody likes their version of the cannon fodder...it's just strange

well I guess for one, it's everybody's favorite valk, and two, toynami initially said they'd make 15,000 of these but they ended making only 10,000. <_<

Only thing I can think of they are a new collector and do not know the differences. Years ago prices were like that for the old Bandai's and Takatoku's. But now we have more choices. Poor guy wait till someone let's him on to the big picture. Consider there were other auctions even cheeper for the same one.

Edited by Mechafan

Many years ago, PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute!"

In 1985, Carl Macek said, "There's a Robotechie born every minute!" :lol: The guys participating in that auction fall in this catagory. B))

I pretty much got most of my MPC VF-1's under $50 (in fact I got two at $29.95). When I decided to add the Rick to my collection a year after its original release, I was able to score it for under $60 (brand new never opened). There's no reason these things should go for that much money already. Maybe 10 to 20 years from now, but by then, a lot of the Yamato VF-1's and the Bandai's and Takatoku's (originals and rereleases) should be on the rebound in value too since the time of 2000-2005 was the true Golden Age of Macross collecting and we will probably never have this kind of availability of new Macross goods again.

Gentlemen and Ladies... let me present: eBay in action.

Idiots bid things up into space, others make money off of said idiots.

Idiots who bid sometimes don't even read the item descriptions. How many of us here have had an auction in which people ask questions that are answered in the first two lines of the auction listing description?

I consider the MPC price phenomenon on eBay to be in the same ballpark as the Ghost Canes and Hitler Death Cars of the world... fools will bid on anything.

You got to look at the bid history to get a feel.

Bidder's List

One bidder responsible for driving the bid all the way up to 360USD. And it's uncontested bid-raising most of time -- the bidder was revising his highest bid time and again.

It's interesting to note that only 3 bidders were involved after the 156USD mark. Smacks more of a "Hey I can outbid you" syndrome than anything. And all 3 has low feedback counts -- I won't be too surprised to see this relisted soon.

(hehe, I just traced one of the bidders.. he had refused to pay for another Toynami VF-1S at 255USD previously. But all 3 bidders had been purchasing Toynami MPCs, so they were going for a set.)

At 156USD, I can still see people buying.... after all, it has a nice box, it's a "limited" item, and if you are purchasing just to complete the set, double the MSRP isn't too unbelievable.

You got to look at the bid history to get a feel.

Bidder's List

One bidder responsible for driving the bid all the way up to 360USD. And it's uncontested bid-raising most of time -- the bidder was revising his highest bid time and again.

It's interesting to note that only 3 bidders were involved after the 156USD mark. Smacks more of a "Hey I can outbid you" syndrome than anything. And all 3 has low feedback counts -- I won't be too surprised to see this relisted soon.

(hehe, I just traced one of the bidders.. he had refused to pay for another Toynami VF-1S at 255USD previously. But all 3 bidders had been purchasing Toynami MPCs, so they were going for a set.)

At 156USD, I can still see people buying.... after all, it has a nice box, it's a "limited" item, and if you are purchasing just to complete the set, double the MSRP isn't too unbelievable.

When you see a bunch of bids from the same bidder in a row it doesn't mean they're uncontested, it means they failed to out bid the previous bidder so the kept bidding in small increments. A commonly noobish act.

When you see a bunch of bids from the same bidder in a row it doesn't mean they're uncontested, it means they failed to out bid the previous bidder so the kept bidding in small increments. A commonly noobish act.

Me, my understanding is either one of the following:

1) the same bidder was revising his highest bid (happened to me before for some reason.. I outbid myself, bah. <_< )

2) someone else was bidding in small increments and the automated ebay bidder will do small incremental increases on the winner's part (until highest bid).

Either way, it's just plain stupid behaviour on somebody's part in the auction. :)

The top 3

mweizenblut, winnier has all positive feedback so far. B))

robotechoscar, refuses to pay previously and claims someone else bid :rolleyes:

rev_lusiphur, Relized that the price is getting ridiculous and stopped :)

Also notice something these three have incommon, they all have a xbox, So does having a xbox increases your chances of wanting a MPC? perhaps <_<

I have a PS2 so I wouldn't know,,but I seem to prefer yamatos and Bandais :):)

Edited by F360°

This is one of the screw ups of ebay. Why are there continuous small incremental bids from each of those 3? Shouldn't the auto bid system work by bidding only after someone has outbidded you previously?

A - $1

B - $2

C- $3

B-$4

C-$5

B-$6

C-$7

Whats the point of having each bidder just upping their bids when no one else was bidding? Thats just plain stupid or am I missing something here? Good for the seller but dumb on the buyers part.

That is nuts. Then again people have paid money for tiny X-wings made out of paper-clips. I have a MPC Max myself. I paid about 35 bucks for it brand new at a con. I wouldn't pay a dime more. That's only due to the Yamato 1/48's being sold for 160 bucks. I still am looking for a good price on those. Geez, some people are just ignorent.

The quality of the toy involved plays only a small part in the value of the object. Afterall, I think most of us would agree that the Toynami MPC is a better toy than the original Takatoku toys. Takatoku toys, however, tend to be sold for more than Toynami toys. Obviously the real value driver there is the rarity of the toy. The MPC VF-1S is the most popular valk and since there's only a limited quantity were just watching a simple process of supply and demand.

Obviously most people on this site could give a shake about Toynami, some might even want to dispute my claim about Takatoku toys being inferior (don't bother, I love Takatoku Valks so I'm not saying it out of bias). Everyone agrees the 1/48s are WAY preferable to the MPCs and maybe some day they will greatly appreciate in value like we're already seeing with the LowVis. In the meantime, just be happy you're not a completist who hesitated on an MPC collection VF-1S for too long.

This is one of the screw ups of ebay. Why are there continuous small incremental bids from each of those 3? Shouldn't the auto bid system work by bidding only after someone has outbidded you previously?

A - $1

B - $2

C- $3

B-$4

C-$5

B-$6

C-$7

Whats the point of having each bidder just upping their bids when no one else was bidding? Thats just plain stupid or am I missing something here? Good for the seller but dumb on the buyers part.

Looking at the bidding history, it looks like someone put in a very high proxy bid and the other person was being a cheapskate and only adding the minimum increment required with each bid, trying to figure out what the high bidder's maximum was and become the new high bidder without putting in a huge proxy bid amount.

People on eBay can be cheap like that.

Also notice something these three have incommon, they all have a xbox,  So does having a xbox increases your chances of wanting a MPC? perhaps <_<

I have a PS2 so I wouldn't know,,but I seem to prefer yamatos and Bandais :)  :)

WTF is that suppose to mean? I own an Xbox and GC. And I prefer Yammies. And yes I won the MPCs as well and I certainly did not pay them at MSRP except for Rick which I regretted but live and learn.

Also notice something these three have incommon, they all have a xbox,  So does having a xbox increases your chances of wanting a MPC? perhaps <_<

I have a PS2 so I wouldn't know,,but I seem to prefer yamatos and Bandais :)  :)

WTF is that suppose to mean? I own an Xbox and GC. And I prefer Yammies. And yes I won the MPCs as well and I certainly did not pay them at MSRP except for Rick which I regretted but live and learn.

ahh ,, come on, you of all people should know that I was just joking and playing with people that own Xbox.

But that aside, as much as you perfer yammies ( ah... all those 1/48 LV :o ), you also collect Mpc. So in a way "xbox could have increase your chances of wanting a MPCs" :)

It's pretty much a robotech ,macross thing.. added with PS2 and Xbox thing. :rolleyes: