GitS 2 Innocence DVD Warning!

The Shade

This is already being reported elsewhere, but since it didn't appear here, I thought it only fair to warn everyone planning on buying the GitS 2 Innocence DVD (Region 1) about the issue of the English subtitle track.

First off: the DVD contains only a Japanese Language track (DD 5.1 & DD 2.0). OK, so most of us will be watching it with subs on. Here's the catch. The English subs are really Closed Captioned subs. That's right. You will not only read a translation of what the characters are saying, but you will also read *music*, *scream*, *vroom*, etc...

For us fans in Canada who speak French, the French Language track in the Canadian release is a real subtitle track. But the English subtitle track is the same as the USA release.

If you thought things couldn't get worse, the English subs on the extras are CC also.

If you want to read a preliminary statement from Dreamworks, you can read it here .

*sighs in relief*

I thought when people were saying closed captioned, they meant the subs were, well CC subs. You know, black boxes with white text, pulled out of the signal by a CC decoder. While I didn't care about the movie, it would be very bad if DVD publishers started thinking this was acceptable.

But it turns out they're real DVD subs, just with sound effect tags.

It's still idiotic to use CC subs anyway. Bonehead error.

I don't see what the big deal is, I think it's actually not such a bad idea, no worse then color coding the subs when multiple people are talking. Heck my Dad is going Deaf so I'm sure he would love it, it's cool to have a Dad who is also into Anime.

Our DVD products are captioned in English using Subtitles for the Hearing Impaired, (SDH). This ensures compatibility with all DVD players and TVs. Many older model DVD players are unable to output the Closed Captioning signal, and the majority of TVs manufactured before 1994 did not have Closed Captioning decoders built-in.

Do we consumers really need to point out that 95% of their DVDs are already in english, which makes the inclusion of a CC track sensible? <_<

I don't see what the big deal is, I think it's actually not such a bad idea, no worse then color coding the subs when multiple people are talking.

It is just annoying when captions pop up that explain the blatently obvious to those who can hear the sound ok.