DON'T PANIC

At least you can see why the new Marvin is so depressed... shorty tubby sawn-off little big headed thing he is. HEAD! MUUVE!

Marvin is all about his voice though. What "sold" the Marvin on the radio show and on the BBC mini was his voice... this slow, lolling, depressive monotone british drone. When he says "Life... don't talk to me about life..." you just know bang that is Marvin. This little billiard ball headed guy will be all about the voice. Nail the voice and the body movements and the package will come together.

ugh, I'm so sick of seeing this logo. My company has been working on the title sequence for like ever now. After all the revisions, touch ups and modifications we are like almost done. Is the trailer for this up yet? I must've seen the trailer like a million times by now. ;):p:D:lol:

Oh dear, based on those pics I am panicking already.

Marvin looks like a giant cudly ping pong ball, Ford is a black Hip Hop singer!!!!Zaphoid with no second head.....WTF are they thinking?

Give me the books or the hillarious BBC TV series anyday. Usually, I don't like to knock a movie before seeing it, but this is going to be bad, bad, bad.

I will avoid this like the plague.

Graham

Has anyone noticed that Marvin, although being played by Warwick Davis, is being voiced by Stephen Moore who did Marvin in the TV series?

And like Graham pointed out, I'm very leary of Mos Def as Ford Prefect. Nothing against Mos Def, but he's about the last person I'd think of tp play Ford.

Hmmm.....I mad <3 teh books and BBC series, and the graphic novelizations, but it looks like they are taking waaaay too many 'artistic leeniences' in this movie....I agree with Graham on Marvin and Ford AND Zaphod. Zpahod was alwasyu the silly whimsical one with teh extra parts....they've got to be there.

I am hating the new Marvin design. What is the lanky one from? I only recognize the BBC show one.

And BoBe-Patt? What kinda movie company do you work for? I am interested in that kinda stuff and curious... could you shoot me a PM or mebbe an IM about it please?

I guess I'm all alone liking Mos Def as Ford Prefect. To me right now it is all about the look of the piece. In that jacket with his rucksack and towel around his neck Mos Def looks to be a very nice Ford in my eyes. Now when it comes to his mannerisms, speech and way of carrying himself he cannot and (I really hope) will not be a "rapper". He will be Ford Prefect, the straight laced yet outgoing and tricky alien posing as a Human.

As for Zaphod the books only gave us the impression that he was a pompus, flashy man. I always imagined him boarderline rockstar-ish... not "whimsical" in any way. The extra arm and head were a fashion statement for him, sort of a "I've got more than you got" sort of thing. Even in the BBC mini he was a flashy, exhuberant celebrity sort. The hair, the coat, the five-o-clock shadow and that sly smile certanly (to me at least) read Zaphod Beeblebrox. I do wholeheartedly admit that the lack of the third arm and second head don't make him the full-on Zaphod that we should be getting but the look, the "Wardrobe" if you will, is dead on.

The big thing, make that the thing, that will make these people the characters is how they act out their roles. Yes Marvin is a huge ping pong ball with a body attached but if they make that work then bitchin!... same goes for a black Ford Prefect. If Mos Def can pull it off then bitchin'! again. I still have my doubts about how this whole thing can come together and "work" like the BBC mini did but for some reason seeing those cast shots makes me have hope.

Zaphoid with no second head.

I don't know if those were from the completed film, Maybe it willbe CGI and that's why he doesn't have a second head in the photo.

Yeah...look at the way Sam Rockwell (perfect casting choice, IMHO) is leaning in that picture...doesn't look natural at all...shoot the scene once as the right head...lean the other way and shoot it again as the left head...pass off to the CGI wizards to seemlessly blend it all together...

Remember, they may not want to release pics of a two headed Zaphod yet...not because of shoddy or incomplete SFX...but because the general filmgoing public has no idea Zaphod has two heads, and they may not want that "joke" to slip out to soon

Here's the latest news tidbit I found while scouring Google, RE: Zaphod's Head:

Zaphods second head does not exist. What he has is a second face. He tilts his head back, and the second face emerges from under his chin. Hence the goatee beard.

I might be alone in this but I like them making Ford Prefect  black. The kooky white guy they got to play him in the BBC show reminded me too much of that frizzy haired Doctor Who actor.

Zaphod looks spot on... but missing his extra head and arm.

In the Illustrated Hitchhiker's Guide (1996) they gave the fans the original, unabridged text along with a buttload of pics to accompany most of the items and creatures mentioned in the book (The uses of the towel section was hilarious). When it got to the part of the book where Zaphod and the Heart of Gold was introduced, Adams kept his description intact, but all images of Zaphod depicted him as as a black man with an extra head and arm. There was an asterisk at the end of Zaphod's description, and at the bottom of the page it explained that most beings in the galaxy see him as such due to an isolated anomaly. I need to see if I can find that image and post it.

Never thought about the similarity between The actor playing Ford Prefect and Tom Baker. Do you think the younger generation will be given the chance to understand the humor in his name, or is it too old a reference?

ps If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Douglas Adams, family has a cameo in the movie.

Edited by Yang_Neumann

Never thought about the similarity between The actor playing Ford Prefect and Tom Baker. Do you think the younger generation will be given the chance to understand the humor in his name, or is it too old a reference?

Not Tom Baker, the other poofy haired Doctor. The one who took over after the guy who took over for Tom Baker. I forget his name but he was a complete buttpipe... I think he had the noteriety of being the "shortest" Doctor (time wise).

THIS Tool:

Doctor6.jpg

EDIT: and just for comparisson this is the BBC mini Ford Prefect:

b24.jpg

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Has anyone noticed that Marvin, although being played by Warwick Davis, is being voiced by Stephen Moore who did Marvin in the TV series?

And like Graham pointed out, I'm very leary of Mos Def as Ford Prefect. Nothing against Mos Def, but he's about the last person I'd think of tp play Ford.

Hopefully this will put yours and Graham's doubts to rest. One of the few people in the biz who can pull off different avenues of entertainment and not have have critics compare one to the other...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080049/

I hate that B-52 beat me to this thread. Anyway, look what I found...

Image of Zaphod from the Illustrated Hitchhiker's Guide. It has been reprinted to the best of my knowledge.

post-26-1104861142_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yang_Neumann

Just a little bit of info... Prior to his death, in an interview DNA stated that the movie would cover the story in the first book only, and scolded the internet public for making up rumours that it would be a condensed account of the five book 'trilogy'. Also, he said that like all other incarnations of the Hitchhiker's Guide, the movie would be in direct contradiction to the earlier works.

What the upshot of all of this is, is that we'll just have to wait and see the movie before making any judgement... Though in my experience, rarely does a film adaptation come close to the original work - I think King & Kubrick's original "The Shining" is a lonely example of good fidelity to the original.

And like Graham pointed out, I'm very leary of Mos Def as Ford Prefect.  Nothing against Mos Def, but he's about the last person I'd think of tp play Ford.

Garth Jennings recently stated in an nterview that Marvin will not be voiced by Stephen Moore. Instead, he has hired Alan Rickman to voice the morose robot. *bleh*

On a lighter note, it has been confirmed that the whale will be in the movie.

Edited by Yang_Neumann

Properly executed, this film could easily be the greatest science fiction comedy in history. Properly executed...

"I'll be your meal for this evening, gentlemen. Can I interest you in various parts of my body?"

:)

Edited by Mr March

Garth Jennings recently stated in an nterview that Marvin will not be voiced by Stephen Moore. Instead, he has hired Alan Rickman to voice the morose robot. *bleh*

Really? IMDB still shows Moore as doing the voice. Seems like a bad decison.

Really? IMDB still shows Moore as doing the voice. Seems like a bad decison.

I don't know, I kinda like the idea of Alan Rickmen as Marvin's voice.

"I'll be your meal for this evening, gentlemen.  Can I interest you in various parts of my body?"

:)

Too bad that scene is from the second book :D

Yeah, I know. But the Restaraunt at The End of The Universe has always been my favorite of the trilogy in five parts :)

The 1st two books I zoomed through, book 3 I got a little bored with, and really the last 2 were chores to read....

I think that's why I never made it past the third one. The third one was good but I had had about enough of Arthur and the gang by the end of it.

As for Mos Def as Ford, I'm warming up to the idea. Being black doesn't bother me, but I guess I was most concerned about some sort of hip-hop attitude seeping through. He seems credible enough to pull it off though.

All in all, I'm still looking forward to Star Wars more than this. :)

It's worth mentioning, in case any of the hitchhiker fans here missed it, that radio adaptations of the 3rd and 4th books have been recorded with the original radio cast (minus Peter Jones, who was replaced by William Franklin, and Slartibartfast was played by Richard Griffiths). the 3rd was broadcast in autumn, and should be available in CD soon, the 4th is awaiting transmission.

there apparently MP3s circualting of the bradocast shows, but I don't knwo where they are. plus the CD release is supposed to come with some "extra features".

• 1 month later...

bump.gif

I just thought to revive this subject with the following:

First "real" trailer

I never read the books, heard the teleplays, or seen the series, so I have no point of reference to offer cogent criticism of the theatrical version...but this movie looks like it could be a real blast. :)

Edited by mechaninac