DON'T PANIC

yeah i hear ya there. I know its bombing out in america but here in the UK its getting gobbled up. I didnt agree with the whole gun part of the story either . It wasnt a needed addition. i still like the movie as a whole though. It could have been ALOT worse. I still cant stop seeing Prof Snape from the Harry Potter series when i hear the robots voice. Same actor.

I wholeheartedly agree that it could have been much, much worse. Imagine if Bruckhiemer got ahold of it (cold shudder).

As for Alan Rickman (Marvin), I actually thought he did a pretty good job. Out of all the main characters I found Mos Def and Alan Rickman to be the most "true" to what I imagined the characters to be like. Having seen it twice in such short order I picked up a lot more of the nuances of the actor's performances the second time around... outside of the terribly re-purposed Zaphod (see prior post for what I mean) most of the actors filled their roles well enough. The "new characters" where so periphery and boiled down to plot points rather than characters so it was not really so bad that they where mucking about in the movie.

And I did catch my wife singing "so long and thanks for all the fish" this morning while waiting for her bagel to pop out of the toaster.

Whenever Bruckheimer or Bey are mentioned with some other movie something bad happens somewhere in the world. I think the characters held up well as portrayed by the actors too. Good casting took some of the bite away from the changes in the story. Marvin was spot on and almost verbatim to the scenes he was in. I feel so sorry for MR. Davis(willow) in the robot suit though he said the head weighed a ton.

Well I saw it today.

This is a pretty FLAT movie overall. Lottas imagery but little in the way of story or the humor I'd thought I'd be getting. The humor that was in it was dated, clearly so. Didn't like the whole love triangle part, mainly because it didn't really add much of anything. Well except to turn her character into a secondary character. :blink:

I'm REALLY beginning to think that ANY book(s) not given 22-26 episodes worth of treatment will NEVER turn out great. It's beginning to worry me because someone might get their talentless hands on Issac Asimov's Foundation series and totally rape my childhood. :(

yeah i hear ya there. I know its bombing out in america but here in the UK its getting gobbled up. I didnt agree with the whole gun part of the story either . It wasnt a needed addition. i still like the movie as a whole though. It could have been ALOT worse. I still cant stop seeing Prof Snape from the Harry Potter series when i hear the robots voice. Same actor.

Funny hwo you think "Professor Snape" and I think "Hans Gruber". LOL

my op:

It wasn't a total stinker, not enough to make me leave before its over at lease. Yet I doubt its a movie I'll ever watch again. At the end I was like "What the hell was that? Whats the point? Why do I feel like I wasted brain cells?" despite however good the source was this movie was just inane and boring

I give it a meh rating

PS: I wanted to kill the pesident character the first time he spoke.

EDIT: WTF was up with the crabs? we see two get killed in the movie. One gets crushed by the alien at the begining, the other by the escape shuttle. What was the point of them? It seemed like a running joke that went nowhere.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I remember him as Hans when i see him but snape when i hear him. I was 10 when Die Hard came out. Snape just seems more memorable to me. It could be worse i could have said that character from Galaxy Quest.

EDIT: WTF was up with the crabs? we see two get killed in the movie. One gets crushed by the alien at the begining, the other by the escape shuttle. What was the point of them? It seemed like a running joke that went nowhere.

Haven't seen the flick yet, but based on everything I've read, I'll wait the coupla weeks for the DVD rental :lol:

The crabs you mention were probably an in-reference to the beautiful scintillating jeweled crabs found on Vogsphere, which the Vogons liked to smash because, well, they were Vogons. You had to be there.

I don't know what all the griping is about.. I enjoyed the movie, the audience I watched it with also like the movies. I thought they did a pretty good job of taking the episodic nature of the book as well as all the non sequitors and tangents and making a pretty good movie out of it all.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bromgrev
I'm REALLY beginning to think that ANY book(s) not given 22-26 episodes worth of treatment will NEVER turn out great. It's beginning to worry me because someone might get their talentless hands on Issac Asimov's Foundation series and totally rape my childhood.  :(
Jeez, keep your voice down ... you never know what movie mogul might be listening ... :unsure:

Those scintillatingly beautiful jewelled scuttling crabs? Vogons just like smashing them with iron mallets.