DON'T PANIC

I'm still only seeing one head on Zaphod. He finally has three arms, though. Other than that, I'm content with how it looks so far.

I think THIS is what's constitutes Zaphod's second 'head'. It appears for about two seconds. It would explain what they meant about his other head being 'hidden' whenever the cast and crew were asked about it (there was a rumor about it being in one of his nostrils).

Not what I pictured at all...and am still unsure of it, but at least it's there.

post-26-1108662333.jpg

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

• 1 month later...

PANIC NOW!

A friend pointed me to this link which has a short review (no spoilers) of the movie.

And a long review (with spoilers).

It doesn't just sound bad, it sounds absolutely terrible. To quote the reviewers concluding paragraph: -

"Hitchhiker's is not so bad that it's good. It's just miserably, depressingly bad. It misses the point by a light year. Is it a good movie? No. Is it a good version of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy? Definitely not. It is ill-conceived, badly written, poorly directed and worst of all staggeringly unfunny. It is a travesty of a film. I mourn for it, I really do".

Poor Douglas Adams must be spinning in his grave like a rotisserie chicken.

Graham

Oh no :(

I had such high hopes for this film. Regardless, maybe this helped to lessen my expectations and go into the film in a more calm, objective mood. I'm still going to see the film, but this review has got me down a bit. Maybe my regular review sites (filmcritic.com and MontrealFilmJournal) will have something good to say.

Maybe...

I'll still see it, and try to keep an open mind, but the review Graham's posted is pretty grim. Sounds as if the writers and producers didn't really understand what it's all about.

One of my favorite exchanges, which seems not to have made the cut:

Arthur: "You mean, you can see into my brain?!"

Marvin: "Yes."

Arthur: "...And?!"

Marvin: "It amazes me how you manage to live in anything so small."

Arthur: "Ah, abuse."

Marvin: "Yes."

Guest Bromgrev

Well, can't say I'm disappointed because I will be severely taken aback if this film doesn't suck like a Dyson. I was pretty shocked by how good the TV series was, and how true to the books. I doubt if even a competent crew could turn such a complex and dialogue-dependent masterpiece into a decent film. :angry:

Oh, the reason Zaphod got an extra head was to show off. Why would he want to hide it under his beard?

Edited by Bromgrev

Brom, they changed the reason why he got the other head.

Man, I read that entire review, the long version, and while the review itself was very entertaining, it hurt me in ways I had never before been able to imagine.

I have a feeling that this film would have a hard time succeeding, no matter how good or bad it is. Lets face it, while we might enjoy the books, radio dramas and TV shows, to the average North American its just some weird looking sci fi movie that doesn't look all that different from...say, Pluto Nash. And I can't imagine that the average Wal Mart shopper would appreciate even half of the humor that was in the originals. At best they might enjoy the whiz-bang SFX.

And Arthur Dent looks perfect. Totally confused goofy looking guy.

The actor playing Arthur Dent is half the reason I'm rooting for this movie to not suck cinematically and not suck commercially. He's Tim from the BBC version of The Office.

* Side Note - Anyone who watches the NBC version of The Office should immediately go get the BBC DVDs. The show is so much better, it's unbelievable. Forget about the NBC show and learn to love David Brent. *

Anyways, I like him and I think he's a dead on choice for Arthur.

The other reason would be Rockwell. There's very few actors who I think could pull off a role like Zaphod and he's at the top of my list.

I also wouldn't normally like a rapper as Prefect, but I actually thought Mos Def was pretty charming in The Italian Job.

I think it's bit early to say the movie's going to be complete crap. Unlike other flicks, I can't say that the director is a studio hack or that the actors are completely awful. So far, it looks like everyone involved is at least trying to make a good movie.

Either way, I'm actually gonna give it the benefit of the doubt. Fans of the original material tend to be the most unpleaseable audiences, so I'm not surprised that the preview audiences have already begun whining.

As far as whether it would be a success with American audiences - well, people have loved the books for years. Also, we tend to like wacky space comedies. Hell, I'd never have believed that a movie based on the Men In Black comic book starring the Fresh Prince would gross a gazillion bucks - but it did.

I still think that Hugh Grant would have made a PREFERCT ford Prefefct I have nothing against Mos Def and liked him in the Itlian Job but he just doesnt seem like a good match for Ford. But I'll just have to waut and see I guess there was a review on AICN that was BAD like the writer didnt like how most of the Snappy dialog from the books have been cut out.

hmmm... that review Graham posted a link to is quite disconcerting... :(

I guess nothing in this day and age can be made without totally playing to the idiots out there. The question remains though, have we as a viewing audience actually gotten stupider over time or were the great Sci-Fi masterworks of the late '70s and early '80s just so much better and smarter than they are today? Could it be argued that "motion picture cloning" has resulted in the future generations of once greatness being so horribly mutated that they have become stupid (using Michael Keaton's "Multiplicity" as an example)?

I still have hope that the movie will have a few redeeming things in it. Until I myself personally watch it and storm out of the theater in a fit of rage due to it's badness I will hold out hope.

(runs away and starts re-watching his BBC miniseries DVDs again for the hundredth time)

I have a feeling that this film would have a hard time succeeding, no matter how good or bad it is. Lets face it, while we might enjoy the books, radio dramas and TV shows, to the average North American its just some weird looking sci fi movie that doesn't look all that different from...say, Pluto Nash. And I can't imagine that the average Wal Mart shopper would appreciate even half of the humor that was in the originals. At best they might enjoy the whiz-bang SFX.

I had the same fears. My sister and I absolutely adore the books. Last christmas we had the opportunity to explain the new movie to my parents and they were totally unimpressed (and they like Lord of the Rings, go figure). The books seem popular enough among fandom and most of the pop culture underground, but aside from that, most people would look at the film as a MIB clone than something original and daring that the books were.

Just to remind everybody to down their Prozacs in time for the big End of the Universe, the film is set to debut on 29 April in the US.

Not sure about the schedule for the rest of this obstacle for a by-pass. But, I am sure it will get demolished in time to prevent a massive glitch in the programming from surfacing thus screwing up the answer to find the question to the ultimate answer when thousands upon thousands drown their sorrows by dunking their collective heads in toilet bowls. All without the benefit of a towel.

The actor playing Arthur Dent is half the reason I'm rooting for this movie to not suck cinematically and not suck commercially. He's Tim from the BBC version of The Office.

* Side Note - Anyone who watches the NBC version of The Office should immediately go get the BBC DVDs. The show is so much better, it's unbelievable. Forget about the NBC show and learn to love David Brent. *

I just did a CTRL-F and looked for any reference to "The Office" in this thread. I should have known that it'd be you. . . :D

I will see this because "Tim" is in it. And, regarding the NBC version, you took the words right out of my mouth!

I'm surprised you like The Office. I didn't think it's decidedly British humour would go over well with Americans.

That's 'cause y'all talk so durn funny. And whats with that blood pudding? Seriously...that's just disgusting.

The Office was brilliant. And not only am I American, I live in Tennessee. If that's not a ringing endorsement for the universality of good British humor, nothing is. Of couse, we're not exactly typical rednecks either - we did get married in Paris and honeymooned in London. Several of our friends love the show and won't give us back our DVDs.

All that being said... I still hated the food in England. Except for the fish. Fish was excellent.

I think Bill Hicks said it best - "you don't boil pizza!" :lol:

And yeah, it's sad, but I'm probably only going to give this movie the benefit of the doubt because I like Tim and Rockwell.

Blaine23 once again demonstrates that he has superior taste.

I'm completely confident in saying that The Office is the best television comedy every produced.

Though, really, the US is hamstrung where television is concerned because the original BBC The Office couldn't be shown on primetime US television. It would have to be on basic cable (it does play on BBC America) or possibly even HBO. A prime example of what is lost, of course, when you try to dumb it down, Americanize it, and make it less ribald, is well, NBC's rather sad (though sometimes entertaining) knock-off series.

Sadly, we visited my parents a few weeks ago, and they had just seen the NBC premier. I immediately went out and bought the full DVD set and had them watch a few. My mom saw that it was infinitely better. . . but sadly, my Dad seemed to appreciate the NBC version better. I like to think I got my sense of humor from my mom and watching a lot of Late Night w/ David Letterman (back before he moved to CBS and began sucking) when I was in Junior High. :)

I've tried to share The Office with a lot of people. It's amazing how you can't really predict who will "get it" and who won't. And, now, with the NBC version, we're once again stuck in that whole: "I like The Office, but not the NBC version" in the same way Star Trek fans were forced to say: "I like Star Trek, the original, not the new stuff". . . and, The Simpons fans need to say: "I love the Simpsons, but not the last few years. . ." etc.

Best line from The Office didn't even make the final production because Ricky Jervais (David Brent) couldn't even keep a straight face. It's during the first "making of" documentary. That whole bit about the "anti-laugh". . . I don't think I've ever laughed harder than that. Ms. Hurin thought I had lost it. :o

Oh, and whenever Ms. Hurin is ever in a bad mood, all I have to do is play her the full-lenght video of David Brent singing "If You Don't Know Me By Now." :lol:

Hey, Graham, can we have a The Office thread?

H

P.S. Oh, and Blaine, if you need another copy of The Office, let me know. My parents didn't like it enough to keep the DVDs I bought them. So I have an entire extra set! :)

Edited by Hurin

I'm surprised you like The Office. I didn't think it's decidedly British humour would go over well with Americans.

That's 'cause y'all talk so durn funny. And whats with that blood pudding? Seriously...that's just disgusting.

Don't ask me, that's Northern food and I'm from down south. I think it's disgusting too.

I love Fish & Chips and British pub food. Oh and meat and potato pies and Cornish pasties. But overall, British food can be pretty bland.

Graham

There's plenty of great british entertainment and I've never had trouble enjoying it or british humor because I'm Canadian. Just like I adore japanese anime, my love for film extends to many parts of the world, mostly Europe, Australia, and South America. Monty Python and the Holy Grail remains to this day one of my all time favorite comedy films. Snatch, Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, and a host of other examples are great english films. I'd love to see The Office especially since I've heard so much about it.

There's plenty of great british entertainment and I've never had trouble enjoying it or british humor because I'm Canadian. Just like I adore japanese anime, my love for film extends to many parts of the world, mostly Europe, Australia, and South America. Monty Python and the Holy Grail remains to this day one of my all time favorite comedy films. Snatch, Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, and a host of other examples are great english films. I'd love to see The Office especially since I've heard so much about it.

You wanna borrow my DVDs? you're a regular around here. I'd trust you to return them.

H

There's plenty of great british entertainment and I've never had trouble enjoying it or british humor because I'm Canadian.  Just like I adore japanese anime, my love for film extends to many parts of the world, mostly Europe, Australia, and South America.  Monty Python and the Holy Grail remains to this day one of my all time favorite comedy films.  Snatch, Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, and a host of other examples are great english films.  I'd love to see The Office especially since I've heard so much about it.

You wanna borrow my DVDs? you're a regular around here. I'd trust you to return them.

H

That sure is nice of you to offer Hurin, but I best decline. Don't want to be responsible for damaging or losing your stuff. Don't worry, I'll get around to seeing it eventually. Thanks again, I appreciate the offer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bromgrev
I'm completely confident in saying that The Office is the best television comedy every produced.

Nah, IMO best British comedy TV series would be Faulty Towers, followed closely by Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.

Yes, Minister/Yes Prime Minister is not a comedy, it's a docu-drama.

"This hospital is running perfectly on its own. Patients would just get in the way."

Saw this movie at lunch today, was first in line for tickets for the first showing.

One word: TERRIBLE.

No, two words are better:

ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE

Avoid this movie at all cost, even if you THINK you can stomach a butchery of the original work this movie takes it one step further. Complete waste of money, etc. etc. etc. everything you can say about a horrid movie. I don't think I laughed once the whole time. Every opportunity to be creative is wasted with juvenile humor, every chance to be faithful to the books is rewritten or altered into being not funny and every scene is just like one long drawn out lead up to a joke but with no punchline given.

It was bad... worse than bad, awful.

Avoid at all cost like Vogon poetry.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT