Real robot learns to run!

Kamion

I bet it won't be so funny when it's running after you brandishing a butcher knife.

Naaah, that is when we call Tom Selleck out of retirement and give him that chainmail suit and laser. :ph34r:

And is it just me or does that thing look like the little fat girl we all knew in gradeschool when it runs?... twenty yards behind everyone else in the gym class... huffing and puffing.

Asimo... replacing little fat girls in gym by 2006!

Notice that it can barely run faster than it walks... and it makes a lot more noise too, lol.

I'm still waiting for them to get that white little bastard to take a full running stride. heh. Then it would look less silly and we'd be that much closer to giant fighting robots... muahahaha.

Someone needs to set it up to say

"Terminate Terminae TERMINATE" while running after someone.

Man, you guys are a tough crowd... :p

Hasn't it really only been 5-7 years since we've seen a fully bi-pedal robot at all?

I thought the demo was pretty sweet actually.

I remember back in the late 90's that big one just before the P3 prototype. Actually somewhere I'm pretty sure I still got the tape about Honda releasing to the press about that model able to walk up steps and push carts and stuff....but I think Qrio is still better though smaller.

Hasn't it really only been 5-7 years since we've seen a fully bi-pedal robot at all?

are you kidding..

these guys are too koool for sony and honda....that's why they frequent japanese robot sites like this..too brandish their cool savvy for us mere mortals..and how grateful we are.. ;)

Oh it's interesting and all but I'm one of those folks who still thinks all this cool junk will only become usefull after I'm dead and buried. It's like living in the before time when the world was still cooling and nothing had really evolved yet... sure it's neat and everything but it has no practical purpose yet. It's basically the prototype's prototype for something that perhaps possibly might someday do something other than wow us with it's everyday acts that people do without thinking. These robots are infants and everyone is just soooooo impressed when they walk or talk or crawl... I see that every day so I'm waiting until one can wash my car or qualify for a boat loan before I get all wowed. :lol:

Based on all the criticisms....it sure dont seem like most of you gusy realize the implications of this....tis only the first step towards much more advanced stuff. They had to get a basic rapid movement down first, getting ASIMO to lower its center of gravity and lean into run to stay balanced... Ill be they will get some of the kinks outta it soon enough and ASIMO will be able to preform a much more fluid motion...

I see that every day so I'm waiting until one can wash my car or qualify for a boat loan before I get all wowed. :lol:

The day a robot can qualify for a boat loan will truly be the day of our undoing, because you just know they'll all get speed-boats. With lasers. That can also fly. :blink:

The day a robot can qualify for a boat loan will truly be the day of our undoing, because you just know they'll all get speed-boats. With lasers. That can also fly. :blink:

... and that is why we must show them no special interest or suprise until that day comes. Only when they become a threat do they get my attention. :ph34r:

:p

Seriously though it is impressive but to me, a guy who always asks the practicality of things, I'm waiting to see one that can do menial tasks without human control. THEN I'll be really impressed as that is what they were trying to pass off to us in the '80s.

In the future... there will be robots! :o

Seriously though it is impressive but to me, a guy who always asks the practicality of things, I'm waiting to see one that can do menial tasks without human control. THEN I'll be really impressed as that is what they were trying to pass off to us in the '80s.

I have a little robot that cleans up the dust bunnies on my floors. Are you impressed? :p

... or better yet some bleach and a toilet brush. Make that metal atomoton earn his keep.

Oooooh! I know! A Bowl-bot 5000 that is made to look, sound and perform just like the Scrubbing Bubbles in the TV commercials! I'd buy a dozen of those things. :)