Ugliest Macross Mech Head?

AlphaHX

I can easily see how. Those minor changes make all the difference. It's like the differences between a Bandai 1/55th VF-1A head and a Yamato 1/60 VF-1A head. They're basically the same, sure.

I can easily see how. Those minor changes make all the difference. It's like the differences between a Bandai 1/55th VF-1A head and a Yamato 1/60 VF-1A head. They're basically the same, sure.

For me, I feel that hate and favorite are too strong of words. I can go from feeling indifferent about something to liking it a lot. But to hate it? Sure, it has flaws compared to the other version. But essentially, imo, theyre very similar.

I guess I have a very distinct definition for the word "hate". Usually when I "hate" something, there isnt a thing I like about it. I dislike it all. So to me, I cant feel like I hate and love very similar things. Its just one of those personal preferences. I hope that makes sense.

For minor changes to make all the difference, I tend to find that highly picky. Not saying thats a bad thing. Just saying... its picky. Its just how I intepret it. To me, its minor... small things. Nothing significant. But I can understand how it could be percieved to be a big difference to others... I just find those other individuals to excessively picky.

My comment was in no way to offend you Radd or Keith. I personally do not see the "big deal" about it but I didnt feel that Knight needed to criticize me for it. Just venting. No offense. :)

It's definetely the Sound Force Mechas that get my vote as the ugliest ever, but I would to make special mention to the Sound Force Vf-19 its the ugliest among the three. You're asking Why the Vf-19 right? Well the most obvious reason is that it's head desing deviated a lor from macross plus' yf-19, granted that the yf-19 is a prototype and changes do happen to its design, i still think that basara's vf-19 head desing went overboard. Oh yeah could somebody post shots for emerald force's vf-19 heads from M7 i mean.

BTW I heard somebody from in this thread say that the VF-0S head desing is ugly, I beg to differ on that, since if you will notice it llok a lot coller compared to the VF-1 with two lasers, VF-1D or VF-1J i think, its much cooler because of its visor like looking sensors compared to the polygon/ triangular type sensor on the latter.

Any of the 3 Clown force turds, they're probably the stupidiest and sissiest designs ever... honorable mention to the Fire turd.. that plane was really messed... awfull paintjob, stupid face (all the head by the way) and a sissy pilot...

C'mon don't be shy, tell us what you really think :p .

Graham

Like them or not, the Soundforce Valks were deliberately meant to look different to the UN Spacy's military Valks.

One of the functions of Soundforce was to boost the morale of the civilian population during time of war. In order for their exploits to be well known, their VFs had to be distinctive and easy to see in battlefield film footage, hence the somewhat outlandish look of the VFs.

The Soundforce Valks are civilian machines belonging to a rock group. Of course they are supposed to look different from military machines. I basically like to think of them as a Glam Rock band with Glam Rock Valks. Just remember folks, it was all for publicity and propaganda purposes.

I have a theory that a lot of Macross fans who watch M7 have difficulty accepting the Soundforce Valks, as they still basically think of them as military valks. Stop thinking of them this way and a lot of the dislike goes away.

At least Kawamri didn't start puttting human faces on all the military VFs (yet) :D .

Graham

The VF-1A and VF-1D are two of my favorite heads. The VF-1J head is okay, but not that cool looking...depending on how it is drawn. there are some crappy shots with the chin barely perceptible that stink, but when the pose is right and the chin is done good, it looks sweet. The VF-0S head is kinda fugly to me...so bizzarely shaped compared to teh otheres...and teh Sounds force ones are dumb....I hate mecha faces with mouths and faciallness.

The other thread about best looking mech head got me wondering. What do you guys think has the ugliest head in Macross? :blink:

My vote goes to Basara's VF-19 Kai Custom. :ph34r:

I'm not big on the whole "face" features on mechs.

I agree. All Sound force mecha is so retarted I could scream.

I don't know how any of you feel about Macross II, but Metal Siren and the Zentran Valkyrie are hideous. Seeing those make looking at the VF-17 variants as well as sound force bearable.  <_<

Well, the Metal Siren's head is not bad, looks like a ninja or something, pretty cool, however the VF17s head is not bad at all either, it's better than the heads they used for some of the blue VF19s. I can't remember the Zentran Valk's exact head... the thing was not that bad IMO, but Macross II designs are not very popular around here, they're pleasant for the most part, but that's only my opinion, nothing makes the Clown force turds bearable though...

Edited by macplus

...Macross II designs are not very popular around here, they're innovative and nice, but that's only my opinion, nothing makes the sound force ones bearable though...

Actually, my biggest beef with the Macross II designs is that they are bland an uninspired, the complete opposite of innovative. The VF-2SS looks like a Brand X Valkyrie, and it's not alone in that description. Now, it is simply my opinion that they look bland, but that they're highly derivative of the SDF and DYRL? mecha is less debatable.

Now, it is simply my opinion that they look bland, but that they're highly derivative of the SDF and DYRL? mecha is less debatable.

No RADD you're totally right in that aspect. Another prime example is the VF-2J, which is actually 1 of 2 of my favorites from MacII. All it really is, is a VF-1J that sports flat edges. For all you Mecha stat junkies that happen to own an RPG source book, look up the VF-2J. Why can't the bugger fly in battroid mode?

I dislike the YF-21's head, but the VF-22's is probably my favorite.

Screw functionality when it doesn't look good. Pretty can be functional too.

PS: Sound Force Valks are supposed to be used for pyschological warfare, so that excuses the use of humanoid faces on them :D

Edited by Raptor

Now, it is simply my opinion that they look bland, but that they're highly derivative of the SDF and DYRL? mecha is less debatable.

No RADD you're totally right in that aspect. Another prime example is the VF-2J, which is actually 1 of 2 of my favorites from MacII. All it really is, is a VF-1J that sports flat edges. For all you Mecha stat junkies that happen to own an RPG source book, look up the VF-2J. Why can't the bugger fly in battroid mode?

Ditto. I agree with that too. IMO, MacII wasnt very original. Although I have nothing against it, there were a couple of things that I wasnt fond of at all. I wasnt very fond of all the valkryies having that "space future" look instead of looking like an semi-realistic plane that has certain "inspirations" from real planes. Next I didnt like how they "improved" on the SDFM mechs. Almost everything was just a modded, spaced up looking version of a SDFM mechs. Destroids, Q-Raus, Valks... everything. I think the only original thing in that series was the Metal Siren. <_<:p

Screw functionality when it doesn't look good. Pretty can be functional too.

PS: Sound Force Valks are supposed to be used for pyschological warfare, so that excuses the use of humanoid faces on them :D

I totally agree! The 21 looks ugly while the 22 looks cool somehow

Screw functionality when it doesn't look good.  Pretty can be functional too.

PS:  Sound Force Valks are supposed to be used for pyschological warfare, so that excuses the use of humanoid faces on them :D

I totally agree! The 21 looks ugly while the 22 looks cool somehow

I wanna see a picture of that.

Heh... that just proves my point. "If Ultraman and a YF-19 had children... the result would be..."

I still prefer the Macross II Valkyries to the Macross 7 ones. I'll concede that the VF-1MS Metal Siren and VF-1XX Wicked Angel (Zentraedi Valkyrie) aren't the most aesthetically pleasing fighters out there, but they're better than Nekki Basara's "Ultraman Jr."

My fave has always been and will always be the VF-2SS Valkyrie II

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Not me. The VF-19P, the VF-17, the VA-3 (not pretty, but definitely interesting), the full armoured VF-11 all come from Macross 7, and I love 'em all.

The VF-17 for the most part is pretty damn cool. However, the folding gunpod that shoots out of the leg feels too gimmicky for my taste. Other than that, I remember seeing the first picture of it in Newtype when they did a first preview of Macross 7 back in 96 and, and I thought it was going to one awesome title mecha, only to find that role go to the VF-19 Kai, which wasn't even featured in that article.

Edited by Seven

I like both versions of the VF-1A head, but the DYRL version looks cooler. Between the VF-22 and the 21, I like the ugly circle-eye-thing way better than that stupid Geordie LaForge visor. My favourite head has got to be the VF-1S...but wait, we're talking about the ugliest head right? Then hands down, Basara's head...I mean his Valk's head is the ugliest thing in the entire Macross franchise.

Faces should stay off of Valks. Funny, I can accept transformers with mouths, but not Valks.

I realize Graham explained the whole face thing, as did several other members, but why do civilians need Valkries? That's like me buying an F-14 and flying it around for fun, or maybe an M1 Abrams tank with a happy face painted on in and driving it to work. What business do I have in either of those machines? Unless of course I was filthy rich, I could then do pretty much whatever I wanted with my money....Michael Jackson does do freaky things with his money.

You know, there's a whole television series that explains why.

Exactly.

Yeah, I know...I watched it once after I bought the DVD set and sort of remember them saying something about it but I couldn't bear to watch the series a second time so I'll never figure it out. Anyway, back on topic, Basara's Valk has the ugliest mech Head.

Maybe we should start a poll to get some figures.

Edited by peter