Dawn of the Dead (2004) DVD

I bought the remake of DotD today and was watching one of the bonus features when I came across this image of a woman who shares a name similar with a character from Robotech. So there, now you have it. The Zentraedi, or the Robotech Masters were the ones who did this to those people.

post-26-1098849625_thumb.jpg

I'm still considering whether or not to buy the uncut DotD remake DVD. I'm a huge fan of the original Romero Zombie trilogy and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed by the MTV style directing of the remake when I saw it at the cinema. Plus the running zombies did nothing for me. Give me slow shufflers any day :lol: .

Still, I've heard that the uncut DVD version is better than the theatrical release, so I may break down and buy it to add to my collecion of Zombie flicks.

Graham

A friend dragged me to see the remake (and I mean that, since I hate most cheesy horror flicks) and I was pleasantly surprised with the film. Sure the story was trite, but the film was also fun and even adventurous. I found I actually enjoyed it. A great brainless (pun intended) remake and plenty of fun to watch if you're in the right mood.

I also picked up DotD for $15.99 at Best Buy.......2004 has been a great year for zombie films.

Dawn Of The Dead

Shaun Of The Dead

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

B))B))B)) (and I liked them all for different reasons)

Pass for me. The original DotD was fun, because it was so cheesy, and maybe a little because it was filmed at the mall about 20 minutes from my parents' house. I thought I'd get a kick out of the remake... heck, I even learned to except the running zombies... but what a piece of crap the remake turned out to be. They stripped anything even remotely resembling a plot away, and replaced it with mindless zombie carnage and shock value. It's as if the people behind it said, "Screw telling a story, blood and violence sells anything!" Sadly, as dumb as the current crop of teenagers seem to be (no offense to any teenage board members, but in any case, if you're smart enough to have found this board, you probably feel worse about your generation than I do, being that you put up with them more), the creators hit the nail on the head.

Can anyone tell me, if you have bought it, if the Unrated director's cut is actually that much different from the real rated movie? I was talking this morning with a co-worker who bought his unrated copy yesterday and he compared it to the all the other "unrated" movie releases (Old School, American Pie, etc.) and said what it did add was stupid things like a few more seconds of blood in some scenes that the MPAA most likely made them cut out.

While the remake was ok, I missed from the original a more fun showcasing of the people in the mall actually playing around and using the stuff from the different mall stores.

they did have that in the remake.

Bought the DVD last night and watched it...

One word: MEH

The Unrated DVD adds nothing to the movie other than a few extra seconds of gore that the MPAA did not like (but are not all that gory in all truth) and a few extra and extended scenes of character development which still don't help define the shallow and cookie cutter characters in the movie any more than they did originally. I really liked this movie in the theater but upon seeing it again I find I like it less. I'm guessing a third viewing will make me like it even less.

Whoever said this movie is a "use once and destroy" title is 100% right. There is nothing to pick up on or notice a second time around that you don't get the first time. The only benefit of the DVD is the extras that expand on the story, like the "Andy's last days" segment... mainly because it gave you a bit more reason to actually care for the character of Andy rather than him being just another storyless cardboard character in the movie that the audience does not really care if they live or die.

Bought the DVD last night and watched it...

One word: MEH

The Unrated DVD adds nothing to the movie other than a few extra seconds of gore that the MPAA did not like (but are not all that gory in all truth) and a few extra and extended scenes of character development which still don't help define the shallow and cookie cutter characters in the movie any more than they did originally. I really liked this movie in the theater but upon seeing it again I find I like it less. I'm guessing a third viewing will make me like it even less.

Whoever said this movie is a "use once and destroy" title is 100% right. There is nothing to pick up on or notice a second time around that you don't get the first time. The only benefit of the DVD is the extras that expand on the story, like the "Andy's last days" segment... mainly because it gave you a bit more reason to actually care for the character of Andy rather than him being just another storyless cardboard character in the movie that the audience does not really care if they live or die.

JSA, let's be honest here, we're not talking about an Oscar contender here. I don't think anyone here was expecting Silkwood when they went into the theatre.

Do we really have to waste time developing characters that ulimately die anyway? The point here is to tell the story of how they managed to survive as long as they did. Also, in the situation the film lays out, it doesn't matter at all who or what the characters are or were. Case in point was Michael, who worked at Best Buy before the infestation. Did it matter that he worked at Best Buy?. No.

The point is that the character had courage, and in the new reality they all found themselves in, that was more important than what he did to earn a living.

I really don't think that the director was trying to make this some sort of social commentary, or reveal anything new that we haven't seen before.

The point of this movie, is the same as the point of the original, and that is...

The fittest survive

It's fun to kill zombies

It's gallows humor at it's finest.

Actually the point of the original movie was a biting social commentary about how we are all mindless zombies in one form or another... it was not about how the fittest survive because "Flyboy" and "Flygirl" were defineately not the fittest, and besides the "fittest" got killed anyway in the orignal. This new movie has no "point" like the original... it was an exercize in how many gruesome deaths they could cram into a movie with no explanations. You can tell this was this director's first real movie as it has several rookie movie mistakes in it as well as several writing crutches. While I was not expecting an arthouse flower or a oscar darling with this movie I was at least expecting the focus and "honesty" that the original had. Introducing so many characters for the sole purpose of killing them off is weak. Heck, you never even know 75% of the characters names because they perhaps say them once in the whole movie and then never again... they just show up, have one or two lines at best, then get killed. If anything the movie suffered from too many characters too fast... the original had four characters for almost all of the movie and allowed for a lot of character development and background because you were not bothered with a cast of 20 getting in the way. You do not need Lord of the Rings character backgrounds but you at least need to establish your characters in order for the audience to "feel something" when they die... otherwise you might as well just put black masks on them and call them person A and B. Like I said and like you said, this movie was not about story, plot or even the characters it was about how many deaths they could show in the running time with as little explanation as possible and that truly dissapoints me when the original was such a subtle masterpiece. Romero-esque zombie movies are not about killing zombies, they are about the downfall and despiration of man.

Cheesy and they tried to shove morality down throat

, then again, not my cup o' "T"

Ending sucked, except the topless chick at the end <_< in the video,, wife agreed about the end, but not the movie,,,,,,she liked it

Mine did not. At the local Beast Buy I got mine at the only ones that had the bonus disc were the Fullscreen editions. I asked a blueshirt if they had any of the WS discs with the bonus discs and he did not know... so I asked the desk manager and he did not know... so I asked another blueshirt on the floor if he knew who would know and he did not know...

... so I just bought the WS disc without the bonus disc and left Beast Buy the same way I leave every time: angry.

Edit: ... and talk about one really crappy DVD release. The darn thing did not even come with a liner card, just some stupid ad insert for Child's Play. Dumb. Seems the makers of this DVD thought people would rather have a cardboard slipcover that is the same thing as the DVD box rather than a booklet or an index card. I guess they only printed one for the regular release and that was it. <_<

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

i know they by the great lakes but where you going to find an uninhabited island assuming they was able to get out to the ocean.

That's kind of the point....the island they found wasn't uninhabited. And they weren't talking about the ocean, they were talking about the islands in Lake Michigan.

They ran out of fuel, and so, had to touch down at the first island they came to due to lack of food and water as seen in the vid clips during the credits. As luck would have it, that was the wrong one. :lol:

Personally, the idea of going out to sea is probably a pretty good one in that situation, but to work, you would have to STAY out at sea.

If I was on that boat, we would have been eating dog while we took a nice wind blown circuit around the island to make sure there were no ex-people. It was a sailboat after all.

i know they by the great lakes but where you going to find an uninhabited island assuming they was able to get out to the ocean.

That's kind of the point....the island they found wasn't uninhabited. And they weren't talking about the ocean, they were talking about the islands in Lake Michigan.

They ran out of fuel, and so, had to touch down at the first island they came to due to lack of food and water as seen in the vid clips during the credits. As luck would have it, that was the wrong one. :lol:

Personally, the idea of going out to sea is probably a pretty good one in that situation, but to work, you would have to STAY out at sea.

If I was on that boat, we would have been eating dog while we took a nice wind blown circuit around the island to make sure there were no ex-people. It was a sailboat after all.

i know they island wasnt uninhabited i saw the credit the first time i watched it. also remember they drunk bottled water which they could just scooped the lake water or had it in the stores but it can also mean they in the ocean. guess they cant fish if they on a lake or dont have a fishing pole. all the islands in the great lakes are realy near the main land so im bothered that they would run out of gas to reach one and take days to get there. coarse im surprised they didnt think the island didnt have zombies when they landed on the dock.

i would run to the nearest national guard station steal an armored personal carrier and run my living ass to the nearest 50's bomb shelter and secure it as best i can.

But that is the real problem with the story played out in the "Romero System" of zombie movies... there is nowhere to run to. Sure you can barracade yourself in some secure location but how long can you really live until you get found and overrun by either the living dead or a band of living people determined to kill you and take your nice safe nook?

Even if you made it to an island and somehow there were no zombies there and somehow you found a stable supply of water and food you would still just be hiding from the eventual... some may say the inevitable...

Mine came with the disc, I was just asking because on Circuit City they gave u a Comic with the DVD, and I wasn't sure if this extra disc came with all of the dvd's already.

I made a good choice apparently, but I yet to watch it.

Even if you made it to an island and somehow there were no zombies there and somehow you found a stable supply of water and food you would still just be hiding from the eventual... some may say the inevitable...

Yeah, but since we are talking about corpses here, wouldn't they eventually rot down to the bones? I'd say if they gave it a year or so in an isolated community that those infected would eventually decompose, that is if they could remain alone for that amount of time. Kind of like the living zombies in 28 Days Later. All they really needed to do was wait for them to starve. The original DotD even let that clue in as zombies started to rot as was evidenced by the bodies in the parking lot of the mall.

Yeah, but since we are talking about corpses here, wouldn't they eventually rot down to the bones? I'd say if they gave it a year or so in an isolated community that those infected would eventually decompose, that is if they could remain alone for that amount of time. Kind of like the living zombies in 28 Days Later. All they really needed to do was wait for them to starve. The original DotD even let that clue in as zombies started to rot as was evidenced by the bodies in the parking lot of the mall.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

In the new edition, you can clearly see some of the zombies outside of the armored vans are rotting away.

Assuming that the whole world was infected within a few weeks time as both versions suggest, I think within 90 days, most of the zombies would have decomposed to the point of no longer being very mobile.

Funny that it never occurred to the characters in either version to armor themselves. The folks in the 2K4 spent a long time building up their escape vehicles, but never gave a thought to what would happen if they had to dismount them.

I'm sure they could have found something in that mall to armor themselves with. I know if it was me, I would be hammering trash cans into plate mail if that's what it took. :D

I'm sure they could have found something in that mall to armor themselves with.  I know if it was me, I would be hammering trash cans into plate mail if that's what it took.  :D

It is the first rule of Zombie movies, all living humans wear short sleeve shirts made of easy to chew materials.

Edited by RichterX