The NEW Star Wars on DVD thread

That R2 line was something that supposedly showed up in the soundtrack that they used to make the '97 SE. They didn't even realize it was different until after the fact. There were several mixes for each of the films, in mono and stereo. Jedi is the only one that I doesn't have any alternate takes, afaik.

jedi does have an alternate dialog track

Original

While over the sarlac pitt

Lando: Wait I thought you were blind!

Han: Don't worry trust me!

SE

Lando: Wait I thought you were blind!

Han: Oh, I can see alot better now!

Edited by GobotFool

BOBBA IS DEAD!!!! He died in the Sarlac Pit.

... and you forgot to add that it was a blind man that put him there.

I swear the Fett family sucks... why do people love him so much? Here is my running total of everything Boba did in the OT:

- show up

- promise not to disintigrate anyone

- follow the Millenium Falcon to Cloud City

- hang around Vader looking moody

- get whiny about Vader beating up on his trophy

- shoot his rifle a lot and miss every time

- take Solo back to Jabba

- hang around Jabba and look moody

- hit on Jabba's dancers

- make a half-assed attempt to stop the heroes

- get hisself dead at the hands of a blind man

On the bad-ass-o-meter he rates a negative three.

Lucas also says that if he had known Boba was going to be more popular he would have had a different death. The main focus was killling Jabba though.... ;)

If anything Lucas should have given boba a more badass death. Like luke slicing him in half. If he had to mode anything He could have done that ;) That also would have ended is boba dead debate once and for all!

Then why is there an Unleashed figure with him fighting the sarlac during escape?

I have a decent home theater system but only have 3.1, my dad didnt want to pull/run wires for the rear. So only front L/R, Centere, and Subs.

I noticed a drastic difference in sound. When switching dialogue btw people ambient sound is wacky. It will be real loud for one person but silent for the other. I dont think it is due to a simple shot reverse shot or 180 degree line where the shot is on two different people and hence physically the sound would shift directions. Its not even shifting directions. It jsut goes static to quiet.

Then why is there an Unleashed figure with him fighting the sarlac during escape?
The "GOD" of Star Wars said he is dead. You gonna believe some action figure card or the SW GOD? :p

Given his revisionist thinking I would actually not trust much of what GL spews out anymore. :p

In the books, he escapes.

Also, I was just watching ANH and noticed that when Darth and Kenobi were fighting, this version didn't have Kenobi saying 'you can't win Darth. If you strike me down now, I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine'. It's been a few years since I've seen the originals. Was this taken out with the original special editions?

Also, I was just watching ANH and noticed that when Darth and Kenobi were fighting, this version didn't have Kenobi saying 'you can't win Darth. If you strike me down now, I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine'. It's been a few years since I've seen the originals. Was this taken out with the original special editions?

In the commentary Lucas says there are 3 different audio versions of ANH. Each have slightly different dialog.

Also, I was just watching ANH and noticed that when Darth and Kenobi were fighting, this version didn't have Kenobi saying 'you can't win Darth.  If you strike me down now, I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine'.  It's been a few years since I've seen the originals.  Was this taken out with the original special editions?

In the commentary Lucas says there are 3 different audio versions of ANH. Each have slightly different dialog.

I thought so. Why did he change the dialogue for that portion. I thought it was quite moving.

I've still got to get through the commentary for Ep II.

BOBBA IS DEAD!!!! He died in the Sarlac Pit.

... and you forgot to add that it was a blind man that put him there.

I swear the Fett family sucks... why do people love him so much? Here is my running total of everything Boba did in the OT:

- show up

- promise not to disintigrate anyone

- follow the Millenium Falcon to Cloud City

- hang around Vader looking moody

- get whiny about Vader beating up on his trophy

- shoot his rifle a lot and miss every time

- take Solo back to Jabba

- hang around Jabba and look moody

- hit on Jabba's dancers

- make a half-assed attempt to stop the heroes

- get hisself dead at the hands of a blind man

On the bad-ass-o-meter he rates a negative three.

Boba is a straight up weenie who happened to wear really, really cool suit.

Those of you fashion-challenged slobs ought to take a lesson from the Fettmeister. Clothes (and the occasional pieces of armor and wookie scalp) do indeed make the man. :lol:

In the books, he escapes.

oh man, that sucks. :angry:

Boba is a straight up weenie who happened to wear really, really cool suit.

Those of you fashion-challenged slobs ought to take a lesson from the Fettmeister. Clothes (and the occasional pieces of armor and wookie scalp) do indeed make the man. :lol:

Ah, but to use my seldom used '80s lingo:

"Would that not make sir Fett a "poser"?"

Poser N. (po-zer) plural "posers" 1. A person or people who wear a stylish outfit usually associated with a certain group, niche or subject who are "cool", but said wearer lacks all necessary elements from those groups and is simply using his outfit in an attempt to "pose" as a member of those factions. 2. A person or people lacking any skill in an area their outfit professes skill in. Usage: "That man weaing that Vision Street Wear shirt cannot skate, ergo he is a poser.

Speaking from experience a nice outfit or all the gear is only "cool" if you can back up your appearance. You could put Woody Allen in Boba Fett armor and he would still be Woody Allen... which is one slight step below the normal Boba Fett.

Also, I was just watching ANH and noticed that when Darth and Kenobi were fighting, this version didn't have Kenobi saying 'you can't win Darth.  If you strike me down now, I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine'.  It's been a few years since I've seen the originals.  Was this taken out with the original special editions?

oh man, that sucks. :angry:

post-25-1096309621.gif

I have rewatched my version of ANH to be sure, and mine has that very line of dialogue in it. I checked both 2.0 Dolby stereo and the 5.1 tracks, and they are the same.

If anything Lucas should have given boba a more badass death. Like luke slicing him in half.

Yes, but then kids can't laugh out loud at how funny it is that Han got him accidentally while he was blind ("Boba Fett? Where?") . . . and they can't giggle and look up at their dads and point it out to them. . . while dad cringes.

There is nothing like that in Empire or Jedi as originally released. Jedi is chock-filled with BS like that. . . and creamy nugat.

H

There is nothing like that in Empire or Jedi as originally released.  Jedi is chock-filled with BS like that. . . and creamy nugat.

H

Again....post-25-1096309621.gif

Okay fine. BS. Yet nobody has ever pointed out to me an analogous scenes to those in Jedi such as these:

* The burping toad creature that eats the little mouse thingy.

* Boba Fett's death: "Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Where?!?. . ."

* The Sarlacc pit burping as it eats people.

* Ewoks hitting themselves in the head with slings.

* Hell, ewoks in general. (and if you don't see any difference in subtlety between ewoks and droids, I can't help you.)

* Chewbacca (or one of his ewok hangers on) doing the f'ing "Tarzan" call as he swings onto the AT-ST.

That list took about one minute and came from the top of my head. Can you point to any truly analogous moment/scene in Empire or ANH that has anything like that?

Y'all just simply assert: "They were always kid-like". . . and leave it at that. Awfully dismissive.

There is a reason most people who still like Star Wars still consider Jedi to be the weakest one. There's a reason that it is the favorite one when we are kids, but so many turn on it when they grow older. The other two don't alienate adults as much as the kid-fest that is Jedi.

H

P.S. My original post has "There is nothing like that in Empire or Jedi as originally released." Obviously, I meant to say: "Empire and ANH." Sorry if that was confusing and/or was the real reason you said "BS". . . I of course think both versions of Jedi sucked and were entirely different in tone to its predecessors. :)

Edited by Hurin

You SW fanboys are all retards. Lucas can do whatever he wants to the OT... the SEditions are better. You ALL know it.

You are just looking at ways to tear down an icon because if you do it makes you smart or something... :rolleyes:

Just so you know, Monuments are built to artists, not critics.

You SW fanboys are all retards.  Lucas can do whatever he wants to the OT... the SEditions are better. You ALL know it.

You are just looking at ways to tear down an icon because if you do it makes you smart or something...  :rolleyes:

Yet another well-thought-out post filled with reason, examples, and infallible logic. Thanks man. What would we do without you?

Whither away and die I suppose.

H

You SW fanboys are all retards.  Lucas can do whatever he wants to the OT... the SEditions are better. You ALL know it.

You are just looking at ways to tear down an icon because if you do it makes you smart or something...  :rolleyes:

Yet another well-thought-out post filled with reason, examples, and infallible logic. Thanks man. What would we do without you?

H

It wasn't a post of reason of logic... Its just my opinion, and since I am SO fukin awesome, you should bow to me and beg for my mercy.

It wasn't a post of reason of logic... Its just my opinion, and since I am SO fukin awesome, you should bow to me and beg for my mercy.

Hehe. Otherwise, I might get banned. :lol:

Seriously though. To address what you said: It could be argued that Lucas is the one "tearing down an icon". . .

As for criticizm: I'll keep that in mind the next time I see one of your charming posts referring to M7.

H

Agent ONE Posted on Sep 27 2004, 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Hurin @ Sep 27 2004, 02:57 PM)

QUOTE (Agent ONE @ Sep 27 2004, 11:49 AM)

You are just looking at ways to tear down an icon because if you do it makes you smart or something... 

H 

FLEX FLEX FLEX FLEX FLEX!!!!

You guys just need to check out the link I gave ya.....if ya just wanna see something funny making fun of Lucas that's the ticket....I still laugh at that damn thing all the time.

I remember watching the FIRST redo when I was younger, I didn't mind it that much, it just really made things longer and trust me...drinking a few pepsi's at the theaters doesn't really make it that much better....

What REALLY pissed me off in the first set of redoes was the scene with Solo and Chewie running around and suddenly instead of 1 or 2 storm troopers there's 50 0_o.....they should have just FRIED like chickens by that many shooting at 'em....but no....alas it didn't happen....dammit..... <_<

HE WILL MAKE HIS FINAL CUT...........OR...........DIE!

You SW fanboys are all retards. Lucas can do whatever he wants to the OT... the SEditions are better. You ALL know it.

You are just looking at ways to tear down an icon because if you do it makes you smart or something... :rolleyes:

Actually, monuments are usually built to conquering warriors. Geez, A1, I would have expected you to know that, of all people.

;)

Waiting for a workstation backup to finish at work before I can do anything productive. So I thought I'd find this dead horse and beat it a bit more. :rolleyes:

The timeline and/or Lucas Suck-o-meter as measured by pointless stupid kiddie things, prat-falls, and other lame attempts at pedestrian humor. Color-coded for severity! :lol:

Green: Actually works as humor without necessarily being directed at kids. Often dialogue-driven and believable.

Orange: Funny. But seems a bit contrived and/or forced. In the end, not bad.

Red: Obviously directed at children. Kids love it. Adults squirm.

SW Episode IV: A New Hope

• R2-D2/C-3P0.
  • Han and Luke acting all polite and/or confused as stormtroopers.
  • Banter between Han and Leia.
  • Banter between Han and Luke regarding Leia.
  • Chewbacca screams at "mouse droid" then laughs.
  • C-3P0: "Listen to them! They're dying R2! Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

SW Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

• Han and Leia banter/flirting: "You didn't see us alone in the south passage. She expressed her true feeling for me."
  • Han: "Laugh it up fuzzball."
  • C-3P0's antics (getting left behind, interrupting Han and Leia, various idiotic behavior)
  • Yoda's harmless idiot routine while he tests Luke's patience.

SW Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi

• Burping toad creature eating mouse creature.
  • Jabba knocking Threepio down.
  • Boba Fett's accidental death at the hands of a befuddled Han.
  • Burping Sarlaac Pit.
  • Wicket (ewok) hitting self in head with sling.
  • Han trying to blow out the torch with his breathe.
  • Ewok/Chewbacca making "Tarzan" scream as they swing onto AT-ST.
  • Ewok taking a speeder bike and diverting the guard at the bunker.
  • Ewok celebration at the end.
  • Ewoks in general. Thus, mangling the final 1/3 of the film. :rolleyes:

SW Episode I: The Phantom Menace

• Each and every thing Jar-Jar Binks does. The sole reason he's in the film.
  • One of the main characters is a kid. Who, incidentally, saves the day largely by accident.

I can't say much more about ep1 because I've only seen it twice and that was years ago. But, to me, it represents everything that went wrong with Lucas's "vision" in Jedi to the Nth degree.

SW Episode II: Attack of the Clones

• 3P0's antics during/after his head is replaced in the droid manufacturing factory. Might as well have been watching The Three Stooges.

Only saw this once. So I'm sure I'm missing more ham-fisted attempts at comedy and/or reaching out to kids.

Now, of course, consider that he retroactively went back and put a lot more of the "red"-type stuff from the latter three movies into the first two movies that lacked them. . . and you just might start to figure out why some people who don't like the latter three movies very much are a bit bitter about things. For the life of me, I can't understand how someone can look at all of the Star Wars movies and declare that they are equally catering to a child's sensibilities. Hell, some of the TV and trailer spots even marketed ANH as a romance!

I almost included the Indiana Jones movies in this list. But tying them into this debate requires more verbage and the arugment is less easily made via a chart. Suffice it to say that Indiana Jones goes from being a dark anti-hero with intelligent friends to being a total Daddy's boy whose idiotic friends merely surround him for moronic comic relief. And, note that these changes take place in the Indiana Jones series at the same time as the Star Wars series (After The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark). Oh, did I mention that he had a daughter at about this time?

Yes, it was incredibly anal of me to create this list. But, to be honest, I'm a bit tired of the dismissive: "They're all the same. . . They're all for kids. . .You're perceptions of them are tainted by nostalgia" line of argument that merely asserts this without backing it up. If that were true, I'd have grown up and become disappointed with all the Star Wars films, not just Jedi.

H

But there is really no point in arguing this stuff with Max or A1. I have a feeling that A1 is just trying to get under Hurin's skin anyway; and as for Max, he's made clear that he prefers to view Star Wars as a bit of escapist fluff.

Yes... I like the concepts presented in Star Wars more than anything else. Escapist fluff... I like that... I'll have to start using that. :)

I think that a film can be technically bad, while still being good. Star Wars captured the imagination of a generation and lead to great strides in special effects. I think people largely misinterpret the impact it had, because as far as plot and characters go, GL himself says that he basically ripped the most generic archetypes available in historic narrative.

Good post accidentally ruined by Max Jenius... the edit button is next to quote... d'oh!

No problem, Max. Fixed below. --ewilen

Edited by ewilen

But there is really no point in arguing this stuff with Max or A1. I have a feeling that A1 is just trying to get under Hurin's skin anyway; and as for Max, he's made clear that he prefers to view Star Wars as a bit of escapist fluff.

Yes... I like the concepts presented in Star Wars more than anything else. Escapist fluff... I like that... I'll have to start using that. :)

I think that a film can be technically bad, while still being good. Star Wars captured the imagination of a generation and lead to great strides in special effects. I think people largely misinterpret the impact it had, because as far as plot and characters go, GL himself says that he basically ripped the most generic archetypes available in historic narrative.

What just happened here?

Ewilen's post was much longer (and very good. . . btw). . . and now it's much shorter, is quoting part of itself that no longer exists. . . and he seems to be talking to himself.

Yo, Max, did you edit Ewilen's post (accidentally) rather than replying to it?

Ah, nevermind. You saw it. Any hope of getting Ewilen's post back? I (for obvious reasons) loved it. :)

H

Edited by Hurin

What just happened here?

Ewilen's post was much longer (and very good. . . btw). . . and now it's much shorter, is quoting part of itself that no longer exists. . . and he seems to be talking to himself.

H

DAMMIT!

I must have hit edit instead of quote...

Cursed mod powers....

DAMMIT!

I must have hit edit instead of quote...

Cursed mod powers....

Oh well. Obviously, I will sorely miss that post since it largely agreed with my view of things while simultaneously coming off as more intellectual and reasoned. And, as I've said before, I consider Ewilen perhaps the strongest intellect among us.

Ewilen, any chance you could re-write what you wrote?

H

Edited by Hurin