Custom Glass Display Case using Ikea Detolfs!

KiriK

this is SOOOO brilliant that i'm sad i didn't think of this before... So as i was sitting in my toy room looking at how i want to set up my display cases... i was debating about investing in an expensive display case with lights and mirrors and sliding glass doors...

This would have cost maybe $500 or more for the size i wanted... I even looked at buying raw materials to build one, but after going to Lowe's and doing research, it cost almost $400 in materials so i didn't want to bother...

Then i look at my detolfs a couple of days ago and a crazy idea came to me... What if i took out one of the sides of the detolfs and put 2 of them together to create a larger shelf space? and BAM... instant super display case!

The bad thing about Detolfs are the limited shelf space because of the square size, but now i can display a LOT more stuff on each shelf... The only bad thing is that there's a gap in the glass doors, but it's better than putting it in a plain bookcase. I may even look into filling that gap somehow....

now onto the pics to describe what i'm talking about!

Here's a picture of some TF's in 2 separate Detolfs

2009-6-9025.jpg

Now here's my new detolfs with each missing 1 side of glass to create a longer shelf. See the transformers in the middle and the box below

2009-6-9031.jpg

Check out how many valks i can display in fighter mode across my 2 detolfs... You could never do that in a single detolf case

2009-6-9032.jpg

Close of up the valks on the shelf

2009-6-9034.jpg

and there you have it!!! my new display case method!! Instead of spending $500 bucks on 1 display case... i'm going to buy a bajillion Detolfs for $60 each and create these new display cases. I'm probably going to latch the cases together for more stability, but they are pretty stable on their own so far... I'm so excited!

Edited by KiriK

That's not a bad idea. If you wanted to make that gap smaller between the cabinets, I guess you could saw off some of the excess area from the top and base boards.

I never even thought of that. That would be a lot easier than my idea of putting a clear acrylic strip in the front and back to cover the gap... haha... i'll probably shave it down this weekend and see how if i can come up with a good way to latch them together.

I never even thought of that. That would be a lot easier than my idea of putting a clear acrylic strip in the front and back to cover the gap... haha... i'll probably shave it down this weekend and see how if i can come up with a good way to latch them together.

Awesome solution for you guys with Detolfs. If you don't have access to an Ikea store here's another cheap solution good for displaying Valks. PM me for details.

gallery_7126_36_597404.jpg

nice display MacrossMan, I thought about getting those custom glass cubes like you have, but they have the same problem the Detolfs have which is the limited space per each cube.... you can only fit 1 valkyrie in fighter mode for each cube/square

Sucked for me since fighter mode is my favorite for a lot of valks so i was definitely looking for more horizontal space in my displays... but i like my new solution... i'll post up pics when i shave off the ends and put up all my valks

nice display MacrossMan, I thought about getting those custom glass cubes like you have, but they have the same problem the Detolfs have which is the limited space per each cube.... you can only fit 1 valkyrie in fighter mode for each cube/square

Sucked for me since fighter mode is my favorite for a lot of valks so i was definitely looking for more horizontal space in my displays... but i like my new solution... i'll post up pics when i shave off the ends and put up all my valks

You're right KiriK, but if I am not mistaken I believe you can purchase larger panels. In my case I would need 28" panels to have more fighter mode space. I use the 14" panels which give you a bit more real estate per cube.

That's badass Macrossman. Ever sinced I moved I haven't had an IKEA anywhere near me. What are those?

The glass and hardware can be purchased at any local glass shop or wholesaler. Way cheap! Mine cost a bit more because I purchased it online and shipping added about $75 to the price because it's heavy tempered glass. A 10 piece box weighs about 30-35lbs. Besides that you take a chance with shipping because it can break. Check your local glass store and they should be able to hook you up. But look at combining 12" with 24" or 14" with 28" panels for displaying horizontally to get the same effect as KiriK's detolf method.

Someone else on these forums did the same thing and went further with it Kirik. IINM he basically stacked a few Detolfs sideways to get that long shelf. Can't remember what he did for the glass doors.

Check out local Retail Merchandise Display vendors.

Not trying to step on KiriK's thread because he has an awesome idea with those who have the Detolfs, but those who don't have an Ikea locally then the glass is another cheap alternative. As indicated by Roy's post this is the same stuff that retailers use so its quality is going be commercial grade. It's basically the same stuff that you see in the retail stores with shirts and jeans folded in them. Heavy duty stuff; just surprisingly cheap.

That's not a bad idea. If you wanted to make that gap smaller between the cabinets, I guess you could saw off some of the excess area from the top and base boards.

ikea uses laminated boards on the detolf, so you'll need to be careful and use a fine-tooth saw so the surface doesn't de-laminate.

their BESTA can fit 2 valks per cube, have optional glass shelves, and can be built taller, but is a bit more expensive

Always liked the Detolf cases they are simple and great looking. I was thinking that I could make one that was longer, using the existing one for measurements, and getting the glass made at the local Glaziers the machineing of the wood parts I could do and then use hinges that I can buy from the Glaziers as they stock the ones Ikea use. then I would have one that looks like an ikea one that would be a lot longer 5ft or so.

I have a pair of six foot Lack shelves from Ikea that I was planning on using, and in fact have been using for my Marvel statues, but damn do I hate dusting. I'm contemplating turning the two shelves into a wall cabinet by way of some sore of brace and Lexan or glass fitted between the two...

Detolfs usually do a decent job of keeping out dust, even though there are some small gaps in the front to make room for the glass door to swing. I'm hoping to eliminate the gap in my cases and make the doors as flush as possible. If there is any dust... at least it'll be minimal and the toys won't be exposed

I was thinking..... probably it would only be feasible to have maximum 2 detolfs with the supposedly conjoined side's glass pane removed.

Imagine you are trying to to put 3 together... that means\.... the center detolf would have both the sides removed. Now, the erason why the detolf can stand upright is because at the front or back pane would be supported by the left or right pane! So...... if both left and right panes are removed.......

Well, i'm sure some with carpentry skills can advise how to get around this problem...

I was thinking..... probably it would only be feasible to have maximum 2 detolfs with the supposedly conjoined side's glass pane removed.

Imagine you are trying to to put 3 together... that means\.... the center detolf would have both the sides removed. Now, the erason why the detolf can stand upright is because at the front or back pane would be supported by the left or right pane! So...... if both left and right panes are removed.......

Well, i'm sure some with carpentry skills can advise how to get around this problem...

I was thinking this might be possible too, as long as you connect all 3 detolfs at the top and base. However, i don't really see much benefit from making the shelves wider for the extra effort. the shelf size of the 2 detolfs is more than enough space to display any 1 toy, (except maybe the new yamato SDF-1) so i think i'll just have several display cabinets in sets of 2 detolfs each. haha... i'll post up my room pics once i get more displays.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished building my display cabinets! Here's pictures of how i put it together

I sawed off the edge of the detolf boards before putting them together:

2009-7-5011.jpg

I drilled holes and used mending plates, bolts, nuts, and washers to hold the two pieces

2009-7-5012.jpg

Here's what the bottom side looks like

2009-7-5020.jpg

And now putting in the frame for the Detolf

2009-7-5021.jpg

2009-7-5022.jpg

Add the glass sides, doors, and top pieces!

2009-7-5023.jpg

Top bolted together just like the bottom pieces

2009-7-5025.jpg

See how small the gap is now between the doors in the front. I can barely stick my finger through whereas i could fit my whole hand into the original frame

2009-7-5027.jpg

Now all of my detolfs stacked side by side in pairs

2009-7-5030.jpg

Here's a pic after i added all the mending plates to all my detolfs and bolted down the detolfs to the wall using shelf brackets

2009-7-5071.jpg

So after trying to put out some of my toys on my small bookcases, i realized i didn't have a lot of space there to display larger stuff so another brilliant idea came to mind! I used the extra glass sides leftover from the detolf cases to make long shelves!

All i did was buy wall brackets and shelving brackets and viola...

2009-7-5091.jpg

Here's my messy room as a work in progress as i need to sort through all my toys

2009-7-5090.jpg

Thanks guys, As for the dust issue... i was planning on using bookshelves to display some of my cheaper toys and transformers anyways so at least this looks nicer.

All of my important stuff will be inside the Detolfs, so basically all my Macross toys, Mospeada, Transformers Masterpieces and Binaltechs, and other expensive goodies. =]

Things to go on the open glass shelves: Star Wars legos, all other transformers generations, Final Fantasy figs, misc stuff i collect

Edited by KiriK

Could we get measurements of each wood pieces to know how much we should cut off =)

I actually just cut along the slot on the base where the glass side was supposed to go. Just shaved it as close to the edge as possible and sanded down anything that wasn't straight. You probably could shave it down a bit more, but then it would weaken the hole where the frame goes through the board

There's a contractor that custom makes glass cabinets and enclosures for shops in my city. Almost all the toy stores I frequent recommended the place because it's fast and very cheap (like $700 for a huge 4' wide x 6' high x 18" deep cabinet). Cabinets made of pure glass and the metal clips (shown in images earlier in the post) are even cheaper. They'll even come and assemble the stuff right at your home/store.

I would definitely recommend looking around your local metro areas for class display makers, they'll probably do a way better job than you can yourself for a way cheaper price. The only reason I personally made some of my diorama displays is that they're way too big to use glass (my 2nd store display room might not handle the weight). Just the plexi-glass material alone cost me over a grand.

There's a contractor that custom makes glass cabinets and enclosures for shops in my city. Almost all the toy stores I frequent recommended the place because it's fast and very cheap (like $700 for a huge 4' wide x 6' high x 18" deep cabinet). Cabinets made of pure glass and the metal clips (shown in images earlier in the post) are even cheaper. They'll even come and assemble the stuff right at your home/store.

I would definitely recommend looking around your local metro areas for class display makers, they'll probably do a way better job than you can yourself for a way cheaper price. The only reason I personally made some of my diorama displays is that they're way too big to use glass (my 2nd store display room might not handle the weight). Just the plexi-glass material alone cost me over a grand.

Except that the reason why my display is so awesome is because it's dirt cheap and costs WAY less than those custom glass cabinets. I was looking into getting some and like you said they were $600-$700 bucks per cabinet whereas each Detolf only cost $60 bucks. My entire display room cost $650 (8 detolfs x $60 = $480 + $170 brackets and mending plates = $650)

hehe... no way i'm spending over $500 on display cases anymore

Great job on modifying the display cases. They look really good.

You'll probably want to be careful with using those left over long pieces of glass as shelves.

The figures and stuff should be okay, but careful with filling any left over shelves with heavy books.

Not sure what the weight tolerance would be before it might start to crack.

Except that the reason why my display is so awesome is because it's dirt cheap and costs WAY less than those custom glass cabinets. I was looking into getting some and like you said they were $600-$700 bucks per cabinet whereas each Detolf only cost $60 bucks. My entire display room cost $650 (8 detolfs x $60 = $480 + $170 brackets and mending plates = $650)

hehe... no way i'm spending over $500 on display cases anymore

Thank you for a GREAT idea. Practical and CHEAP. I'm definitely raiding IKEA for a dozen Detolfs soon. I have the tools to modify the wooden shelves too. (Bought a number of power tools for my PC case modding hobby last time around) ^_^

Edited by blacklotus

really innovative idea you got there Kirik... have you tried using "wood glue" instead for combining the detolf boards? i'm not sure though if how well it will hold, it'll look more cleaner without those visible bolts and nuts on the surface.. or you can also place those connectors on portions that aren't that much visible.. like on the board's bottom part facing the floor (for the base base part) and have those bolts connected at the back of the detolf's board for the upper board assembly where it won't be that much visible.. anyway, i'm not sure if you're getting my drift.. (excuse my poor engrish)

anyway, just fill it up with all your stuff.. and adding overhead lightings would definitely complete your setup.. :D

Edited by MaveRick